Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Shining Force 1 & 2 are where it's at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

That's what a real Genesis looks like. Not that stupid poo poo you linked in the OP. Get on my level.

this is a genesis you nerdlord

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Sorry i don't live in Japan

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

"high definition graphics" what lost japanese characters are these *bows*

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

bunky posted:

this is a genesis you nerdlord

This right here. To hell with your weird second generation.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nintendo was much better.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spud posted:

Nintendo was much better.

If you had tiny little girl hands, maybe. Those controllers gave me callouses and made my hands sore. Still, Super Dodge Ball was pretty much the best game ever.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you had tiny little girl hands, maybe. Those controllers gave me callouses and made my hands sore. Still, Super Dodge Ball was pretty much the best game ever.

You needed to man up and work through the pain to be honorabu Nintendo gamer. The callouses were a right of passage.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's called a Sega Mega Drive, you stupid american peasants. God!

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Windows 98 posted:

That's what a real Genesis looks like. Not that stupid poo poo you linked in the OP. Get on my level.

Poser

Oh, when consoles would come with a game or two :allears:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I had NHL 93 because they removed the fighting from 94

https://youtu.be/O0xemrRYMQw

The two-player games were always way more brutal

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

If Duke Nukem had no guns and a buddy equally as big as him.

I pity anyone that never got to play Toejam & Earl with a friend... using the unlimited presents cheat code for game genie.

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
Phantasy star 4 owned the poo poo out most modern final fantasy games with the coherent plot and solid diverse characterization. Also siding with SNES means you're siding with Moviebob.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

my mom got me a 32x but the only game i had that worked with it was Doom so mostly i just stacked my game genie and sonic and knuckles games to make a really big tower

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Road rash 1,2,3 were awesome i think id still play those maybe
General chaos was pretty good

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

remember before the internet? they had to print entire magazines that had nothing but cheat codes for EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER, and sometimes you had to wait until THE NEXT FREAKIN' ISSUE if the game you bought was just released and didn't make it into last months issue

kids these days be all like "siri how do i get infinite guns" and back in my day you needed to have a freakin' library card and know about the dewey decimal system and poo poo

what i'm trying to say is that kids these days are soft

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
I had the whole Gen/32x/CD monstrosity and it wasn't that cool. Doom on it was really lame cause it was like half of the game and just stopped in the middle of episode 2, where it just kinda crashed to the loving c prompt on the loving 32x of all things.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Otacon posted:

remember before the internet? they had to print entire magazines that had nothing but cheat codes for EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER, and sometimes you had to wait until THE NEXT FREAKIN' ISSUE if the game you bought was just released and didn't make it into last months issue

kids these days be all like "siri how do i get infinite guns" and back in my day you needed to have a freakin' library card and know about the dewey decimal system and poo poo

what i'm trying to say is that kids these days are soft

"Stuck? Need a hint or a tip? Want to unlock the many secrets of the game NOW? Simply call 1800-xxx-xxxx ($9.99 per minute)!

Get into the game! "

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Zombiejack posted:

Phantasy star 4 owned the poo poo out most modern final fantasy games with the coherent plot and solid diverse characterization. Also siding with SNES means you're siding with Moviebob.

Came here to post this, Phantasy Star 4 was one I rented without any idea what it was. Got me hooked on RPGs.

And to reiterate the Toejam and Earl love. But remember to go back to Level 1 when you get the right presents. Hit the island in the upper right hand corner of the map, then go down to lower left hand corner to get to Level 0 and sit in the hot tub!

Also, Mutant League Football/Hockey ruled. If you're losing too badly halfway through, just work on killing the whole opposing team!

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Ellen DeGenerates posted:

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun is very good.

Came here to post this.

Umm... Rampart is fun if you have a friend to play with.

Super Nintendo was better, I don't know, get a SNES? There were so many better games.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
poo poo loving Phantasy Star 4 was $99.99 USD when it came out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I distinctly remember trading in a bunch of games to get enough cash to buy final Fantasy 3 for $80 back in the day. Games were ridiculously expensive back then.

PotatoManJack posted:

Shining Force 1 & 2 are where it's at
Listen to this man. I almost beat SF2 but my save file erased itself :cry:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Windows 98 posted:

Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down

So close. Spells out 'dullard' which is the only way I remember it as I never even had a Genesis or played MK on it.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

AbbadonOfHell posted:

poo poo loving Phantasy Star 4 was $99.99 USD when it came out.

Worth it.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009
Starflight owned so hard.

Applecross WC.
Sep 13, 2004
Reverence and Disregard
Why did Americans rename the Megadrive to "Genesis"?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Road rash 1,2,3 were awesome i think id still play those maybe

i came here to suggest road rash 3 because it had the best music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9RzIgNKSDk

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
Gunstar heroes is like a two player megaman x

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Kid Chameleon
To this day I still cannot beat kid chamelon.

gently caress the blood swamp in particular.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i had snes and my cousin had sega genesis. always loved getting to play the other sega games. he also had a game gear.

great if you happened to be right next to a wall plug

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The sega nomad burns through 6 AA batteries in under an hour.

You wouldn't want to play longer than that, it microwaves your eyeballs.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Applecross WC. posted:

quote:

First announced in June 1988 in Beep!, a Japanese gaming magazine, the developing console was referred to as the "Mark V", but Sega management felt the need for a stronger name. After reviewing more than 300 proposals, the company settled on "Mega Drive". In North America, the name of the console was changed to "Genesis". The reason for this change is not known, but it may have been due to a trademark dispute.

someone prob had an american trademark on mega drive it looks like

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
LOL if you were the weird kid in the neighborhood with a Sega Master System.

dpush
Nov 10, 2009

Applecross WC. posted:

Because Jesus.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Give Pat a Job posted:

LOL if you were the weird kid in the neighborhood with a Sega Master System.

Son of a Bitch...

Actually, looking on eBay last week and some of my old Master System games are worth like $75-$100.

But yeah, I had a Master System. and a Genesis. And an intellivision, but most people don't know what the gently caress that is. Burgertime is all I have to say.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Sanctum posted:

To this day I still cannot beat kid chamelon.

gently caress the blood swamp in particular.

That game has like over 150+ levels or something. It would probably be easier if you could save your game in some way, but even then some later levels were brutal.

Applecross WC. posted:

Genesis sounds kinda cool, but "MEGA DRIVE" sounds like the fake technolingo that was so popular in 80-90's movies. "I'M HACKING PAST THE FIREWALL DEFENSE MATRIX, BUT THE MEGA DRIVE IS GIVING OUT!!!"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
MEGA

DRIVE

just download an emulator dipshit

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Wicker Man posted:

"Stuck? Need a hint or a tip? Want to unlock the many secrets of the game NOW? Simply call 1800-xxx-xxxx ($9.99 per minute)!

Get into the game! "

I did this once or twice out of desperation, and my mum got the bill through and thought I was calling premium sexy chat-time lines, but the reality was far, far worse than she knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
Alien Solider is the game the cool kids play.

• Locked thread