Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I don't get the second guy, does he mean she need to go in gas chamber? Him? The character in the book? The book itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Yaaaaaay! Applewhite presents: Ayn Rand Story Time theater.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
The Selfish Gene is such a good book but lay people really can't get it without an understanding of teleology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleology

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Okay so Anthem is the tale of a dystopian future society where personal pronouns have been outlawed. When referring to oneself, individuals must use the word "we" or "us."
The story is told in the first person.
Also everyone's name is a word like "unity," "cooperation" or "collective" followed by a serial number.
Society has regressed to a medieval level of technology and the economy is heavily regulated.
The narrator (our hero) recalls someone getting burned at the stake for saying a forbidden word.
Later, he stumbles down a well and discovers a lightbulb at the bottom. He brings it back up to the surface and claims he invented it. He's exiled because lightbulbs make candles obsolete and his invention threatens to put all the people who make candles out of work.
His girlfriend goes with him into exile.
In the wilderness, they stumble on the ruins of an ancient city and discover the forbidden word: "I"

The End?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Applewhite posted:

Wanna learn the plot of Anthem, OP?

My high school english teacher had us read this. A dude lives in a primitive society, discoveres electricity and makes a lightbulb but is banished because it'll put the candle makers out of work so he goes and lives on his own saying "at least I am a man!" or something. That's all I remember about it.

/\/\/\e yeah what applewhite said. thankfully it was only a novella.

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma

Applewhite posted:

Okay so Anthem is the tale of a dystopian future society where personal pronouns have been outlawed. When referring to oneself, individuals must use the word "we" or "us."
Also everyone's name is a word like "unity," "cooperation" or "collective" followed by a serial number.
Society has regressed to a medieval level of technology and the economy is heavily regulated.
The narrator (our hero) recalls someone getting burned at the stake for saying a forbidden word.
Later, he stumbles down a well and discovers a lightbulb at the bottom. He brings it back up to the surface and claims he invented it. He's exiled because lightbulbs make candles obsolete and his invention threatens to put all the people who make candles out of work.
In the wilderness, they stumble on the ruins of an ancient city and discover the forbidden word: "I"

The End?

Are you sure that's not 1984?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

roikun777 posted:

Are you sure that's not 1984?

It is a completely original plot, unrelated to 1984.

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma

Applewhite posted:

It is a completely original plot, unrelated to 1984.

Well, good job bro

Another!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also some people like 1984. not even ayn rand fans like anthem.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

roikun777 posted:

Well, good job bro

Another!

I'd do We the Living but tbh I never finished it.
By the time I got to it I was p. burned out on Rand, tbh. Someone else wanna give that one a shot?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Here op, just watch the movie instead. Take a peep at the trailer. It's got the actor who played Quark on Star Trek in it too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Here op, just watch the movie instead. Take a peep at the trailer. It's got the actor who played Quark on Star Trek in it too!

Oh shot cool omg I forgot about this it used to be on Netflix I think! Is it still?

Apple white explain IT please

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Hector Beerlioz posted:

lol the bitch from Orange is the new Black is in it lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

roikun777 posted:

Oh shot cool omg I forgot about this it used to be on Netflix I think! Is it still?

Apple white explain IT please

So, Midas Mulligan is a banker who closed his bank rather than loan money to minorities. The mysterious guy approaching him is John Galt.
"Rearden Metal" is Hank Rearden's invention: a super metal that is proportionately as strong to steel as steel is to iron.
Dagny Taggart operates the railroad company Taggart Transcontinental with her whiny beta brother ("Why do we have to be the first?"). Their railway is falling apart and so she decides to rebuild it using the new metal.
A bunch of rival steel barons and railroad barons don't like this so they conspire with the government to try and regulate Taggart and Rearden.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
If there's anybody out there who _hasn't_ read atlas shrugged but _does know the name of the man they had sex with_ please reply

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Typical parasite trying to freeload off my brain info.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
sometimes i think about embracing objectivism because gently caress it why not

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also Dagny's brother drives his wife to suicide by displaying bad philosophy.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
The only really pathetic thing about Ayn Rand's philosophy is the large number of influential people who subscribe to it.

It's not comforting to know that the "Captains of Industry" are ridiculously stupid. Same thing with Scientology, IMO. Some of the most influential people are not worthy of their influence.

Make me supreme leader. I wll sort this poo poo out.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

roikun777 posted:

Oh so what that first guy said WAS the summary

I'm glad she died alone and angry

She died alone, angry, unloved and on welfare. She was the parasite her own philosophy said should be killed.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Ayn "Huge Bush" Rand was the type of "intellectual" the Commies wanted to put in the Gulag. It's really unfortunate for all of us that she didn't get famous while in Russia.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://activatecomix.com/162-1-53.comic

LOL. She cucks her husband for decades and bangs all sorts of dudes, but then throws a fit when someone else she used to gently caress fucks someone other than his wife.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hector Beerlioz posted:

This is better

'you can't kill men on an untested line for profit!' = villain
'I can and if they refuse I'll make sure they never work again but I won't force them to do anything they don't want to' = hero

This is Ayn's world.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The biography comic is v. good.
Just think, if only Ayn's mother hadn't given away her toy chicken all those years ago, she might have grown up to be a nicer person.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Ddraig posted:

She died alone, angry, unloved and on welfare. She was the parasite her own philosophy said should be killed.

But that doesn't mean she was wrong! lol

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Applewhite posted:

The End?

LOL

Ayn Raynd was such a dumb loving pussy.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are milktoast rear end white folks so susceptible to moronic individualism?

Yes, we loving get it. Everyone is a singular person who deserves sovereignty. But there's also this crazy thing called EVERYONE ELSE. It's crazy, EVERYONE ELSE are people just like you. And they are neither more nor less important than you. But you shouldn't be a dick about it. We also got this far by working together.

- A Communist

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
lmbo

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Frijolero posted:

Why are milktoast rear end white folks so susceptible to moronic individualism?

Yes, we loving get it. Everyone is a singular person who deserves sovereignty. But there's also this crazy thing called EVERYONE ELSE. It's crazy, EVERYONE ELSE are people just like you. And they are neither more nor less important than you. But you shouldn't be a dick about it. We also got this far by working together.

- A Communist

communism is for sadbrained faggots

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I'm gonna embrace personal responsibility and go to the gym everyday but still somehow maintain the body shape of a bloated pear.

-A libertarian I know.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

anchoress posted:

communism is for sadbrained faggots

You must have no class :smug:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

You must have no class :smug:

:eyepop:

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma

Applewhite posted:

So, Midas Mulligan is a banker who closed his bank rather than loan money to minorities. The mysterious guy approaching him is John Galt.
"Rearden Metal" is Hank Rearden's invention: a super metal that is proportionately as strong to steel as steel is to iron.
Dagny Taggart operates the railroad company Taggart Transcontinental with her whiny beta brother ("Why do we have to be the first?"). Their railway is falling apart and so she decides to rebuild it using the new metal.
A bunch of rival steel barons and railroad barons don't like this so they conspire with the government to try and regulate Taggart and Rearden.

That's very good but I meant IT, like in caps, like by Stephen king

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
isn't there a scene in one of the ayn rand books where a train gets stuck in a tunnel and like hundreds of people die but the message is 'it's okay because they were leeches on society'?

because lol at that

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

roikun777 posted:

That's very good but I meant IT, like in caps, like by Stephen king

oh.
In IT, there's a killer ghost clown who menaced a bunch of kids, who barely manage to defeat him by having sex in a sewer.

Later, the clown is back to menace the kids as grownups. They defeat him again through the power of friendship.

The clown is a metaphor for our inner demons, and is actually not as dangerous to our heroes as the town bully and his sociopath gay lover.
The sociopath gets eaten to death by giant mosquitoes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Atlas Thugged starring 50 Cent.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

isn't there a scene in one of the ayn rand books where a train gets stuck in a tunnel and like hundreds of people die but the message is 'it's okay because they were leeches on society'?

because lol at that

Yeah that was in Atlas Shrugged.
TBF, they brought it on themselves by willfully ignoring several clearly and competently explained warnings by safety experts.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Darkhold posted:

This is better

'you can't kill men on an untested line for profit!' = villain
'I can and if they refuse I'll make sure they never work again but I won't force them to do anything they don't want to' = hero

This is Ayn's world.

Haha, the people who like Ayn Rand seem like the type of people who watch Scarface and think Tony was weak to not blow up the car with the wife and kids in it and how they totally would have done it in his position.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I like the part where one of the guys torturing John Galt lets out an actual scream after realizing the pure sexy genius power of the guy he's torturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ape Fist posted:

Selfishness and Sociopathy are moral imperatives. Empathy is a weak and unnatural state for Humans.

~ A book written by a woman who gathered a cabal of high-profile weirdos around her then slowly alienated all of them including the man she loved and then died alone, angry, and hateful. And on welfare.

White autism the book.

• Locked thread