Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I was encouraged to make a thread for this, so I guess I will. Basically I'll be taking a couple neglected toys and I'll try to combine them into something that works. This is by far the biggest automotive task I've ever taken on, so I'll be ignorant of some things and I'll almost certainly stumble here and there.

I was given the sand rail frame and also the Baja Bug for parts probably 3 months ago, and I've finally decided to get started with it. There's no engine yet, but I'll figure out something later. Right now I'm unsure if I want to sell/trade the sand rail when I'm finished, or just keep it as a toy. That's also something I'll figure out later.

Here's what I have so far:

Frame and the Baja bug. The frame does have mounts for seat harnesses, seats, the transmission, etc.

Exhaust manifold. I think I can reuse this.

Shifter, pedal assembly (I've been told this will work with the sand rail), seats

Cool old instrument cluster

Transmission on the Beetle (not sure if it's in working condition)

Transmission mount on the sand rail

Seat mounts

Couple more pics here of some miscellaneous loose parts and close-ups of parts: http://imgur.com/a/bZ1Wf

So as you can see it's all pretty rough at the moment. I am budget constrained, so unless I decide to sell this for a profit this will probably be a slow process. I've been itching for an auto project for awhile, so this should be fun.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Your transaxle in the rail is irs, the bug is a swingaxle. You can probably trade your trans for the one you need.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. :D

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

Your transaxle in the rail is irs, the bug is a swingaxle. You can probably trade your trans for the one you need.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. :D

Well, I learned something new there thanks. I'll work on getting an irs compatible transmission then. I'll be able to start cleaning and stripping parts this weekend.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Bookmarked! I'm excited to see the first desert rooster-tail shot!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My dad and I have a 74 super beetle that we pulled out intending to fix up just enough to drive around. It got drove for 3 years of Ohio winters and then parked without getting washed, so when we got it out into the daylight we realized it's pretty far gone, I found a total of about $1000 of just sheet metal it needs, including half of the frame head, heater channels, rockers, both C pillars, and a strut tower that rusted through. Then we decided holy poo poo sand rail frames are like $500 tacked and we can weld but nobody seems to make one for the Macpherson Strut front suspension the super beetle uses.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread, and if you're in need of parts or whatever I can recommend http://www.larrysoffroad.com/

I've met and dealt with him, and my dad has gotten stuff from him for years, he's extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm a little conflicted about this thread since I've always wanted a Baja Bug, but it's not my car and I have a feeling from the pictures that there's not much left of the Bug to save.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running as a sandrail. It's recycling!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

rifles posted:

My dad and I have a 74 super beetle that we pulled out intending to fix up just enough to drive around. It got drove for 3 years of Ohio winters and then parked without getting washed, so when we got it out into the daylight we realized it's pretty far gone, I found a total of about $1000 of just sheet metal it needs, including half of the frame head, heater channels, rockers, both C pillars, and a strut tower that rusted through. Then we decided holy poo poo sand rail frames are like $500 tacked and we can weld but nobody seems to make one for the Macpherson Strut front suspension the super beetle uses.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread, and if you're in need of parts or whatever I can recommend http://www.larrysoffroad.com/

I've met and dealt with him, and my dad has gotten stuff from him for years, he's extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Alright thanks for the site recommendation. I'll definitely keep them in mind. It's fun browsing parts :D.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm a little conflicted about this thread since I've always wanted a Baja Bug, but it's not my car and I have a feeling from the pictures that there's not much left of the Bug to save.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running as a sandrail. It's recycling!

I'm also partial to Baja Bugs. My original plan was going to be to just take the bug and make that the project, but I was pretty much encouraged to do the sand rail by everyone due to the bug's condition. Yep recycling! There will definitely be some leftover parts that I'm sure another Baja Bug owner would find helpful, so at least some of this one can go towards someone else's project.

I've got some people helping look for an irs compatible transmission for a 1:1 trade, and I was recommended to try quite a few groups. I'm going to try to get the one on the bug pulled by Sundayish but I don't know if that's realistic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Knyteguy posted:

I've got some people helping look for an irs compatible transmission for a 1:1 trade, and I was recommended to try quite a few groups. I'm going to try to get the one on the bug pulled by Sundayish but I don't know if that's realistic.
You can pull a Beetle powertrain in the time it takes Rhyno to post that someone he associates with has done hosed up again.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

You can pull a Beetle powertrain in the time it takes Rhyno to post that someone he associates with has done hosed up again.

Alright good news. I'll have some help with everything too, as my step dad (who gave me the bug and sand rail) will be helping out. He also picked up this: http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/156261343X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434145770&sr=8-2&keywords=vw+guide+for+idiots

Luckily he's like the most resourceful guy I know for car stuff, and if he's helping then that'll mean custom upholstered seats. :D He does classic car interior work for a living.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'll be picking up some initial stuff tonight or tomorrow from the Harbor Freight sale (25% off coupon). I'm thinking I'll need 4 or 8 jack stands (to have both the bug and rail propped up at the same time), so that's $50-$100 for the 3 ton sets not including the coupon. I'm also thinking I'll need a torque wrench (which I'd like to have anyway), and possibly a lug wrench I'm not sure (I need to check if the one or two I have will fit). I'll hold off on anything else I may need until I need it. I'm pretty sure I can get by on the rest with the tools I already have.

I've been doing a little research on the price of powder coating plus sand blasting, and from what I can tell I'll be looking at maybe around $1,000 based off what places charge for a large rim. I may get a family member hookup with someone, but I won't count on that. The biggest question for me price wise is the engine and the transmission. I've stalled looking for a trade (infant baby keeping me busy), but I'll do some more looking soon. There's basically a VW Bug graveyard around 10 miles from me and the guy might be willing to deal.

I'm still torn on what to put into this. I'm wondering if I get this thing all nice with a nice new powerful crate motor and a new transmission would allow me to sell it for $7,500-10,000+, or whether I should just build it with used parts/used engine to sell it for around $4,000-$5,000. Crate motors are very expensive obviously, so I'll try to see if I can figure out what I think mine will be worth by looking at the current rail market. I'm definitely open to input here. I'm super weary to tie up too much money, so the inexpensive stuff is looking better frankly. There's also the option of street legality which could be fun.

But I'll cross those roads when I get there. First I need to figure out what the hell I've got; I'll be working as much as I can tomorrow on it, finally.

edit: and "new engine" could mean an old block with an engine kit I guess ala http://w.ivenue.com/larrysoffroadCenter/ecommerce/engine-kits-parts.html?p=2

I want this build to have some balls basically :v:.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 4, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I got a friend who's dad builds these out of boredom. His typical pattern is a Bug motor with a junkyard turbo. Usually on propane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

I got a friend who's dad builds these out of boredom. His typical pattern is a Bug motor with a junkyard turbo. Usually on propane.

Oh good idea this would be rad. Does anyone know how this would affect the internals though? Would stock crank/pistons/etc be able to handle this (assuming say 5 PSI)? What about cooling in this case?

e: project on hold. Instead of building this to sell it, I'm going to build it to have it, but I can't put that kind of money into it right now.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 5, 2015

• Locked thread