Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

IRQ posted:

Good news then, it's actually called Z Nation, and it's fantastic because it's not serious at all. It's made by The Asylum, that should tell you what the tone is.

I should clarify, if it involves zombies in any way and isn't the movie Shaun of the Dead or Game of Thrones I want nothing to do with it, I've been waiting for the zombie fad to die out for years, sorry if that makes me sound like an rear end, I just really hate zombie stuff. Also I don't know what The Asylum is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
The Asylum profits off of low budget rip offs of everything and anything. If you don't like zombies, then I would not look to anything they've done to change your mind.

Kurtofan posted:

Any chance this ends up on Netflix?

It's not likely in the US and even less likely in Canada, but other markets could get it.

This series doesn't seem like anything fantastic yet, but it's given me enough to want to watch more.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

I was going to say that this was an average first episode that did a serviceable job establishing everything and who the characters are.

Then out of nowhere the crew finds out exactly who they were before the memory loss and I swore to follow this show to the bitter end :aaa:

I hope they do another vote FOR MURDER :twisted:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I liked it. The FTL special effects are pretty cool. I'll stick with the show for a while.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I liked it too, and especially the reveal at the end, but I had a very hard time taking the android seriously since I only know that actress as the dorky scientist on Lost Girl.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

I liked it too, and especially the reveal at the end, but I had a very hard time taking the android seriously since I only know that actress as the dorky scientist on Lost Girl.

I've never seen Lost Girl, but the android reminded me of the one from Jason X. Same cadence and everything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I should clarify, if it involves zombies in any way and isn't the movie Shaun of the Dead or Game of Thrones I want nothing to do with it, I've been waiting for the zombie fad to die out for years, sorry if that makes me sound like an rear end, I just really hate zombie stuff. Also I don't know what The Asylum is.

Z Nation is the inevitable outcome of tons of lovely zombie shows being made and trying to be super dark serious drama. It's a show that reveals in being balls to the walls insane. In episode 3 the cast is in Philadelphia so they decide to steal the liberty bell by dropping it in the back of a pick-up truck. When they run into zombies and slam the breaks the bell flies around and ricochets down the street clipping zombies left and right. They look at it, and go "ah well, forget it" and move on to the next area.

It also includes

- crazy hippie old man getting a zombie high
- crazy paranoid general in a rooftop standoff with a zombie horde and he goes out like a hero leaping backward off the room while duel-wielding 2 desert eagles firing all the way down
- crazy family of cannibals making the Walking Dead cannibals seem like normal well adjusted people
- A zombie tornado attack
- A crazy batshit meta-plot that pays off in the best way imaginable
- A zombie bear

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pentyne posted:

- crazy paranoid general in a rooftop standoff with a zombie horde and he goes out like a hero leaping backward off the room while duel-wielding 2 desert eagles firing all the way down
- crazy family of cannibals making the Walking Dead cannibals seem like normal well adjusted people
- A zombie bear

That's Zombnado and Zombear.... get with the lingo.

This show scratches an itch for me... space stuff. I'm all in.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So the characters in this show are

1. Audience Man
2. Badass Hot Girl # 492
3. Jayne From Firefly
4. Quiet Asian Guy Who Uses Katanas
5. Combination of River and Kaylee From Firefly
6. A Black Man

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes, every character can be attributed to a previous fictional character.

Although the stoic kung fu asian is pretty obvious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Except this version of Jayne isn't funny.

Also, the cinematography, it felt like I was watching SGU the whole time. The cliffhanger has me mildly interested, tho.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Most of the same directors that worked on the Stargate franchise directed episodes of this, including Amanda Tapping.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GreenNight posted:

Yes, every character can be attributed to a previous fictional character.

Although the stoic kung fu asian is pretty obvious.

Woah.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pwnstar posted:

1. Audience Man
2. Badass Hot Girl # 492
3. Jayne From Firefly
6. A Black Man

Haha, nailed it. I feel like that's exactly what the writers did when they made a list of characters on the whiteboard on day 1.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Haha, nailed it. I feel like that's exactly what the writers did when they made a list of characters on the whiteboard on day 1.

your favorite archetypes from better tv shows and movies get trapped on a mysterious space ship.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Pwnstar posted:

1. Audience Man
2. Badass Hot Girl # 492
3. Jayne From Firefly
6. A Black Man

Robert Cross is: Dark Matter

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This show is so bad. I'm still gonna watch it, because space and some elements of the setup are interesting. But man, it's so bad.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

pentyne posted:

- A zombie bear

Adding to this: The zombie plague is started by a biological warfare researcher named Curien. Yes that's right, a House of the Dead reference is an integral and inseparable aspect of the main plot :allears:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
this show is so loving great

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, is there no way for me to watch this without literally sitting in front of my TV on fridays? Cause that's a dealbreaker... I don't even know how to watch the cable that I have, I only have it because internet was literally cheaper in a bundle with cable than by itself...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snak posted:

Wait, is there no way for me to watch this without literally sitting in front of my TV on fridays? Cause that's a dealbreaker... I don't even know how to watch the cable that I have, I only have it because internet was literally cheaper in a bundle with cable than by itself...

All the Syfy shows are sold through streaming such as Google Play and Syfy offers streaming services through the main site too even though you have to sit through ads.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

WarLocke posted:

OG Scifi Friday was like Farscape, the Sentinel, and I-Man :colbert:

Goddamn, I-Man. I used to love that show, haven't thought about it in years. Don't suppose it's on disc in some store, getting dusty on a back shelf...

This first episode was... eh? I really like a lot of the actors in it, I liked the comic, and the graphics are pretty great, but the episode itself felt rushed and unremarkable. I mean, the fact that we've seen all these characters before sort of made it feel like just some regular episode in the middle of the season on a pre-existing show. It was that "crew wakes up amnesiac" episode in everything, for all intents and purposes. It didn't feel particularly 'series premiere'-ish. (Also that whole thing isn't helped by the fact that every time I looked at Three's black and maroon vest, I kept thinking they knicked it from the old Andromeda or Farscape sets. I didn't realize that look had become A Sci-Fi Show Thing until now.)

I mean, I'll definitely stick with it in the hopes that it picks up and they deviate from the obvious cliches and all, because I miss this poo poo. Even if they end up being campy and predictable as hell, all these space shows coming out are going to make my summer.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

All the Syfy shows are sold through streaming such as Google Play and Syfy offers streaming services through the main site too even though you have to sit through ads.

Ugh. If this was on hulu I would probably watch it. I'll pay $2 an episode for something like Justified or even The Walking Dead, but I'm not shelling out for generic space mystery show number 5,782. I guess that shows how long it's been since I watched a syfy show. I remember Warehouse 13 was on hulu as it was airing...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snak posted:

Ugh. If this was on hulu I would probably watch it. I'll pay $2 an episode for something like Justified or even The Walking Dead, but I'm not shelling out for generic space mystery show number 5,782. I guess that shows how long it's been since I watched a syfy show. I remember Warehouse 13 was on hulu as it was airing...

Syfy has full episode direct streaming with ads, even though you have to wait a day or two for the new episode:
http://www.syfy.com/episodes

it's the best option option you can get it work and don't mind all the ads.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 13, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

KatWithHands posted:

Goddamn, I-Man. I used to love that show, haven't thought about it in years. Don't suppose it's on disc in some store, getting dusty on a back shelf...

I've been trying to find season boxes for years, because I want to re-watch it badly. I think I saw a season 1 box at a Wal-Mart of all places once, but that was before I got the urge and haven't been able to find any since.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Syfy has full episode direct streaming with ads, even though you have to wait a day or two for the new episode:
http://www.syfy.com/episodes

it's the best option option you can get it work and don't mind all the ads.

Ugh again, there's no syfy app for ps4 or xbox360... So I would have to watch it on my computer...

So if I hear that this is really good I may do that, but I am spoiled in my "old age" and now pretty much only watch things I can stream to my tv whenever I want. Thanks for the info though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

I've been trying to find season boxes for years, because I want to re-watch it badly. I think I saw a season 1 box at a Wal-Mart of all places once, but that was before I got the urge and haven't been able to find any since.

Netflix has it or used to

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snak posted:

Ugh again, there's no syfy app for ps4 or xbox360... So I would have to watch it on my computer...

So if I hear that this is really good I may do that, but I am spoiled in my "old age" and now pretty much only watch things I can stream to my tv whenever I want. Thanks for the info though.

The other good option is just get a roku 2 box, only around $80 and it's a easy to setup up internet steaming services to your TV.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Or hook up a laptop to your TV hdmi port.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

The other good option is just get a roku 2 box, only around $80 and it's a easy to setup up internet steaming services to your TV.

I have a xbox360, a ps4, and an amazon fire (on a different tv), I'm not buying more boxes to stream poo poo to my tv.

GreenNight posted:

Or hook up a laptop to your TV hdmi port.

This is a reasonable solution, and probably what I will do if this show turns out to be good.

But this is really a rant for a different thread. That short of it is, if it's not on amazon prime, it's not on hulu, and it's not on netflix, or it's not on any service available on 360/ps4 i'm not going to watch it. I generally have the bare minimum of toys that I need to watch my stories, and I draw the line at 3 paid streaming services and one box.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The laptop solution is what I do.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Most of the same directors that worked on the Stargate franchise directed episodes of this, including Amanda Tapping.

The internet tells me that Torri Higginson and David Hewlett are upcoming additions to the cast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

The internet tells me that Torri Higginson and David Hewlett are upcoming additions to the cast.

ugh and HELL YES. But I've only seen Higginson in SG: Atlantis and mostly her character was terribly written. Maybe she's a good actress, it was hard to tell.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Pretty mediocre show and we already know what they do re: the colony. But Imma stick with it for at least one more episode so I can see next week's teased space battle

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not too sure that was next week, the preview was more of a season preview.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Gonz posted:

Jesus christ that's awesome.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

That was Hewlett in that picture the android partially recovered right?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Pretty mediocre show and we already know what they do re: the colony. But Imma stick with it for at least one more episode so I can see next week's teased space battle

I think that was the whole season preview.

I'm on board with this for one more episode, only because of the reveal at the end that has some minor promise.

But the fact that nobody at any point said "hey android TURN ON THE loving LIGHTS" is going to make me quit this show. I couldn't see a drat thing the entire show. Yes yes, dark matter, spaceships, ultra cheap canadian sets, etc. But this level of bad/non-existent lighting is beyond what I can put up with.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

That was Hewlett in that picture the android partially recovered right?

That's what I thought, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

But the fact that nobody at any point said "hey android TURN ON THE loving LIGHTS" is going to make me quit this show. I couldn't see a drat thing the entire show. Yes yes, dark matter, spaceships, ultra cheap canadian sets, etc. But this level of bad/non-existent lighting is beyond what I can put up with.

"NO! Show Me!"

• Locked thread