Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rougey posted:

Ben better rock up for an episode, I mean he and Claudia Black practicality trademarked the leather clad spacer.

If he did, I'd just be angry and disappointed that he isn't in the main cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
I liked it. I also liked the way the shuttles were clearly just repainted SGU Destiny shuttles.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Destiny shuttles were gone a long time ago. Joe's blog shows pictures of the Dark Matter shuttles being built.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New Episode

Episode 2

The crew come to terms with revelations about their respective pasts; at the same time, they face the dilemma of helping the miners against insurmountable odds or abandoning them to certain death.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So it looks like they are going to be following the comic pretty closely for the near future.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well the comic is pretty short. I'm guessing the end of the second episode will be the same ending as the comic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah probably, they might pad it out an extra episode.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Did we ever find out who the cailee-ripoff girl is

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
That means she's probably the sister of 1, whom they had to rescue from a mega corps secret research facility, where they had been making her into a psychotic killer, yeah?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Psychotic Killer? My money is on Psychic Powers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They didn't discuss who she is in the comics either, but my guess is that she is a kidnap victim.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I liked the resolution to the colony situation. Have another megacorp get the planet rights to screw their competitor from being able to mine the asteroid field effectively!

Alternatively both megacorps sit down and realize they should work together, then kill all the miners so they don't have to share the profit :twisted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that bugged me about the big fight scene in the reactor was the part where they first start and 1 runs right in front of 3's gun. It was just bad staging because it undermined the whole "they're trained killers" thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

One thing that bugged me about the big fight scene in the reactor was the part where they first start and 1 runs right in front of 3's gun. It was just bad staging because it undermined the whole "they're trained killers" thing.

Yeah, that and the actor who plays One can't shoot a gun to save his life. Every time he fires he looks like he's going to piss himself.

Also, that has to be one of the most half-assed one-(okay two) episode romance ever.

(Otherwise, I quite liked it. Tori Higginson was pretty good too -- though I've always liked her).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Too be fair, One is sort of designed that way according to whosits blog. Hence is 0 rating in android fighting.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Haha, I loved the humor in the scene where they're about to suicide attack the troops holding the blackbro (4? 5?) hostage and they're already gone.

Gripes with the episode:
  • They brought the colonists all of these guns, but from what it looked like they didn't even bother using them except for the 2 dudes who betrayed them.
  • 2s hyperspace jump took like 20 minutes when at the end she mentions the closest station is a couple days out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dude... don't get bogged down with space travel details, you can hand wave it away for more than a handful of reasons.

They had a neighbouring mining concern... hence the need to act quickly and gently caress up some miners

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The dudes guns named Bubba and Lulu? That's the name of the exec producers dogs, a pug and a french bulldog, respectively.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GreenNight posted:

The dudes guns named Bubba and Lulu? That's the name of the exec producers dogs, a pug and a french bulldog, respectively.

Pwnstar posted:

So the characters in this show are

1. Audience Man
2. Badass Hot Girl # 492
3. Jayne From Firefly
4. Quiet Asian Guy Who Uses Katanas
5. Combination of River and Kaylee From Firefly
6. A Black Man

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I very much want this show to succeed. I love Canadian scifi, I love Roger Cross and the Stargate guys and I'll keep watching but something just seems off about this show. It checks almost all the major scifi checkboxes for me to love it but something isn't clicking. Hopefully its only because we're on episode 2 and they just need to find their legs.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is there a Killjoys thread? I liked the pilot for that show a lot better, and I haven't seen one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't look like it, most of the discussion is in the umbrella Syfy thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I very much want this show to succeed. I love Canadian scifi, I love Roger Cross and the Stargate guys and I'll keep watching but something just seems off about this show. It checks almost all the major scifi checkboxes for me to love it but something isn't clicking. Hopefully its only because we're on episode 2 and they just need to find their legs.

They really needed to do something bigger for the first two episodes. The colony story feels like something that should have happened part way through the season to fill time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It followed the comic pretty well, just not with the same artistic panache.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I did not enjoy Episode 2. I thought the dialog was cringeworthy. I hope Rodney McKay shows up quick so I can drop it after I see what's his deal.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Watched episode 2 last night and realized that it's a Seven Samurai remake. Well at least up to the point that they didn't all die defending the villagers from the bandits err evil mega-corp.

Skex fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 21, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Yeah, I saw that too. Of the lot of them, he's the only one that I can't imagine being a bad pirate killer type. Also, four, the seemingly slient oriental type had more lines in this episode than I thought they would give him in the entire season.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 21, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe a higher-up decided that "inscrutable Asian with katana" is not a character they should have.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So, what is it with all of the guys (including the one who is nothing special and the one who can only hit things a few feet away aka the cramped confines of a ship) going on the away mission while all of the girls (including Kung Fu dual pistols lady and an unstoppable killer robot) staying behind to tend the home front?

And also could those firefight scenes be staged even worse than what we saw?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

So, what is it with all of the guys (including the one who is nothing special and the one who can only hit things a few feet away aka the cramped confines of a ship) going on the away mission while all of the girls (including Kung Fu dual pistols lady and an unstoppable killer robot) staying behind to tend the home front?

And also could those firefight scenes be staged even worse than what we saw?

i thought it obvious that males must make sacrifices (eg take on the hard tasks) so that women can relax and prepare the homestead for the men warriors to return home

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Well, the captain at least saved the day. I don't even recall the other two women being in this episode, which seems like an odd choice for only the second episode.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The colorful not-Kaylee opened swoordguy's puzzle box and android stood around looking deranged.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i dont think she did any of that dumbass 'close eyes to convey i am doing stuff' this episode, at least

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Not Jayne wasn't as grating this time.

Thank you Goons for pointing out subtext.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Not Jayne wasn't as grating because that mantle was passed to Heart of Gold Audience Stand-in let me walk in front of Jayne's gun

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Not Jayne wasn't as grating because that mantle was passed to Heart of Gold Audience Stand-in let me walk in front of Jayne's gun

I cringed so hard when he did that, you'd think the director or someone would have pointed that out. Especially since the scene was supposed to be showing how bad rear end they are.

I think this episode was better than the first overall, I think they may have tweaked the characters a bit to make them more palatable.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 22, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing they definitely need to do sometime soon is show that 1 is good at something. Right now he just kind of sucks at everything and is annoying, they need to give him a positive character trait and soon.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

One thing they definitely need to do sometime soon is show that 1 is good at something. Right now he just kind of sucks at everything and is annoying, they need to give him a positive character trait and soon.

He's the Good Guy! His special ability is Goodness. His Goodness will bring the team together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd argue that being good is indeed a positive character trait, it's just not terribly interesting or useful to the group. He can't even act as the group's conscience, since the other's don't really accept his moral authority, they either share his views in some cases or they don't.

Since I haven't really paid much attention to this, is it set in the same universe as Killjoys?

Was there a sale for very built actors in Canada? The crew is very muscular/athletic for science-fiction, compared to things like Stargate, Star Trek or even BSG. (Speaking of which, everything good BSG did was done better by B5 a decade earlier).

• Locked thread