Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Here's my feelings on Dusty Rhodes, I started watching wrestling when I was 5 and his working man vignettes were starting on WWF tv at the tail end of his wrestling career.

I loved those, he worked hard like my mom and dad. My mom was doing 50 hour weeks selling grain by the ton at Agway in a loving massive like 100 story building (12 at best). I was probably 4ft tall, so this was a pretty big building (I think the tallest place in our small town 30 mins out was 3 or 4 stories). She was selling to farmers and brewers and always instilled how they were all hard working people making a life for themselves like my grandparents did. My great grand-parents build a beautiful church that still stands then they decided to go back to Poland a hundred years ago. My Dad was a construction worker that got struck by lightning because he had to finish putting up my 100% metal swing set on saturday afternoon. I think it had something to do with the cement footing.

I didn't get to see much of Dustys postWWF run in WCW. My parents separated, probably before Dusty started in WWF, and in the early 90's my Dad shacked up with a Woman that wouldn't allow me to watch wrestling Saturday or Sunday night. Which who cares, WCW didn't have Macho or Ultimate Warrior or the Rockers or Hart Foundation. But when I could watch Saturday Night later on I knew who Dusty was. He always told me the winner waas going to the "Pay Windah".

I figured out that if I fight and work hard enough that I'll always get a check. It might not be enough, it might not be a lot, it might be insulting. I've spit on bosses before. Dusty Rhodes had a significant part in my work ethic.

Bernie Sanders 2016. Bern American to the Ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Oh god the Big Show screaming pic in the comments. :allears:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Summer Rae's tribute is really nice
https://instagram.com/p/3zy4uKlRFb/

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Got a little something in my eye here....

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Kevin Owens changed his Twitter handle to Kip Stern

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna see my brother tomorrow. I might forgo the requisite Ric Flair Chop + woo for a bionic elbow.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

rip dusty rhodes, you were a racist and homophobe and notorious egomaniac but you cut some good promos and are goin straight to the pay windah in the sky, daddy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The sports talk show that I listen to at work has replaced their bumper music going into/coming out of commercials with Dusty promos today :unsmith:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Sprecherscrow posted:

Christopher Lee, Ornette Coleman, and Dusty Rhodes all die on the same day. What the hell world?

:smith:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Half of me wants Arn Anderson to come to the ring on Raw, leave a tire iron in the middle of it and leave. The other half wants him to beat Dusty's coffin with that tire iron. Dusty probably would have wanted that too.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I swear I'm not trying to be snarky with this question but: Did Colt Cabana post or say anything in tribute? I know that the whole "Kike Cabana" thing left a bad taste in his mouth. (Unless it wasn't Dusty but I remember hearing it was)

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

fart blood posted:

I swear I'm not trying to be snarky with this question but: Did Colt Cabana post or say anything in tribute? I know that the whole "Kike Cabana" thing left a bad taste in his mouth. (Unless it wasn't Dusty but I remember hearing it was)

Not a word.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

"Ric Flaayyr! Here we ahr! Faith to faith, like a cupple-a Thilver Thpoons. We're just hopin' to faaaynd, we're two-of-a-kind, if ya wheeeel."

Also: I've discovered that only up to a point does the Charles In Charge theme work. Basically, anything before the chorus might play, but beyond that, nope.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 12, 2015

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

fart blood posted:

Knowing what we know now about Bill DeMott, it very well could have been him who said that. Colt has described meeting Dusty as a "don't meet your heroes" moment, but nothing beyond that.

That's for another thread, though. Dusty Rhodes was an incredible performer with charisma that transcended all of his other flaws, and I'm glad he reconciled with Dustin and had a good relationship with his kids in his old age. He was also one of the best color commentators of all time, in my opinion. I'll miss him.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box posted:

rip dusty rhodes, you were a racist and homophobe and notorious egomaniac but you cut some good promos and are goin straight to the pay windah in the sky, daddy

Shut the gently caress up you loving nerd

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The store where we shopped for school supplies always had folders with this picture of Dusty Rhodes:

For maybe 5 years. I only knew him from his WCW commentary stuff and it all seemed very strange.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'd totally share it with you Dream. Now you gettin familiar with all the ladies in heaven. RIP.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

:iamafag:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Paulocaust posted:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I know it's weird, but my favorite Dusty bit is the story he told on the Four Horsemen DVD, where he was in a bar in New York City having drinks with John Belushi and then suddenly the Horsemen walked in, and it got all tense. Which is believable....if you ignore the fact that the Horsemen were formed in 1985 and Belushi died in 1982.

I can't believe that made it on the DVD without any fact-checking. That had to be a rib.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Busted Open on XM has had a pretty cool Dusty tribute show today. Flair, JR, Corino, Harley, Dreamer and Magnum TA so far.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fart blood posted:

I know it's weird, but my favorite Dusty bit is the story he told on the Four Horsemen DVD, where he was in a bar in New York City having drinks with John Belushi and then suddenly the Horsemen walked in, and it got all tense. Which is believable....if you ignore the fact that the Horsemen were formed in 1985 and Belushi died in 1982.

I can't believe that made it on the DVD without any fact-checking. That had to be a rib.

I bet it was Jim Belushi

Big Hans
Jul 25, 2003
Saved by Jebus
My favorite Dusty commentary clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

No more Sicilean elbows.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Gavok posted:

Also, fun thing a friend discovered: Just about any sitcom theme song works as a Dusty promo if you try hard enough.

"Tony Schiavone, lemme ask you, whatever happened to predictability? The milkman, the paperboy, evening TV, daddy?"

"Denvah, he the last Dinasah, but he my friend babbeh, and he a whole lote mah!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I will miss his terrifying forehead in HD.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jiro posted:

I'd totally share it with you Dream. Now you gettin familiar with all the ladies in heaven. RIP.

You can probably share it with Dreamer, who is also very fat. Close enough?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

rip test
rip benoit
rip randy
rip rude
rip rhodes

wRESTle in peace, you princes among men

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

super macho dude posted:

rip test
rip benoit
rip randy
rip rude
rip guerrero
rip rhodes

wRESTle in peace, you princes among men

FTFY

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

rovert posted:

Summer Rae's tribute is really nice
https://instagram.com/p/3zy4uKlRFb/

Dang, outdone by someone in the comments.
"christwarrior83Rip: Dusty I Remberer I Met Him A Few Months Ago I Told Him That I Wanted To Become A Professional Wrestler He Said That Anthony You Are Have Great Future A Head Of You And He Said You Are Going To Change The World And I Shook His Hand And Danielle Can I Pray For You Father God I Lifted Danielle Up To You Lord So That Dusty Can Enter Your Gate Lord In Jesus Name Amen Love You Dani Very much
_brynlee_perkins_R.I.P. Dusty Rhodes."

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

fart blood posted:

That wasn't Dusty.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
"It takes a lot to make a stew, daddeh."

Rest in peace.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

John Quixote posted:

"It takes a lot to make a stew, daddeh."

Rest in peace.

Chris Benoit chillingly glares from the background.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eddie died? No.... Eddie LIED!

:smith:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Paulocaust posted:

im sorry i dont pour my heart out for lovely people but you know what its worth it just for paulocaust to be an angry child

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 13, 2015

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

paulocaust help me paint a picture here ok tell me how right on the money i am: in high school you were the chubby white kid with the neckbeard who wore the same pair of cargo shorts every day who always thought he was way funnier and smarter than he really was and would be the token kid who says "you know hitler had some pretty good ideas at the start" without anything to back it up but your smug self-satisfaction

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

im sorry i dont pour my heart out for lovely people but you know what its worth it just for paulocaust to be an angry child

Stop posting

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

do me next

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Stop posting

oatgan posted:

do me next

love u

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 13, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fauxhawk Express posted:

That wasn't Dusty.

It wasn't? I thought it was always said to be him. Well that's a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Cardboard Box posted:

Let's all pay attention to this guy.

• Locked thread