Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Doppelganger posted:

4. We still don't know why Suzanne is in prison.

This is 100% speculation, but I think she's innocent and took the rap for something her white sister did. She's got a loose grasp on things, and that was already exploited in S2. (Spoiled for identifying something the show didn't deliver.)

Man that finale was brutal ...ly dull. I kept waiting for the plot threads to come together in a cool way, and then they didn't. And it was an extra long episode! Why do you book extra time and then fill it with filler? .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
3x08 Pennsyltucky and Donut Guy are my favorite pairing now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

uhhhh, yeah that won't last long

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

computer parts posted:

lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

3x13 For the record, writers, if you're hinting at one of your characters murdering another one, make sure that the target isn't completely unlikeable, it helps the tension.

I can't be the only one who was hoping Lolly WOULD kill Alex. And not just cuz Lori Petty rules and was really underutilized.

computer parts posted:

3x11 (I think, either 10 or 11) oh my sweet summer child no.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 14, 2015

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
I felt that this season was almost like a "a glimpse into the average day at Litchfield". Not focusing on Chapman and fleshing out the supporting characters was nice. I liked the Chang focus episode; the finale was "eh".

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Regards the Alex plotline, I wonder if the Chicago lady was in fact stalking her at the behest of druglord but it wasn't to kill her but just to get a timetable of what Alex does everyday for the benefit of the incoming real assassin. Maybe they just never communicated it properly but as someone who doesn't care about Alex I don't give a poo poo that they cliffhangered it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I enjoyed season 3 way more than season 2 honestly, even though the finale didnt go anywhere, and the Toast-Jesus storyline was WAAAAY too long (but I guess they were really focusing on spirituality and whatever this season)

I was entertained though :) This was about the time when I stopped watching Weeds, so hopefully season 4 doesn't suck.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LadyPictureShow posted:

I thought last season's reveal that she was into the ladies came out of nowhere and hadn't even been *hinted* at in season 1.

How did you miss the whole Poussey has a thing for Taystee thing?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rarity posted:

How did you miss the whole Poussey has a thing for Taystee thing?

In season one, I just thought they were super-tight best buds.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
3x13

I enjoyed this season, but I felt like they were really going for the "slice of life" type of story instead of a huge arc with a villain and a climactic finale. Also, I thought it was funny that Lolly actually warned Alex about toothpick guy, but Alex didn't see his face.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the end I prefer the slightly scattershot, unfocused feel of this season to season 2's The Vee Show and this is probably my second favourite season after the first. But man they just did not bother to use the finale to resolve anything at all

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

finale spoiler is our resolution for Donut and Pennsatucky seriously just she's in the clear but Donut is probably going to start raping Ramos instead

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

oatgan posted:

finale spoiler is our resolution for Donut and Pennsatucky seriously just she's in the clear but Donut is probably going to start raping Ramos instead

I thought for sure that he would be fired regardless for passing out naked in the laundromat; while Pennsatucky eventually chose not to pursue vengeance she could've gotten it anyways. Nothing really came of the new hires' incompetence.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stuff like that ^^^^ makes me think season 4 is literally just gonna be a sequel season to 3. They left everything hanging. Did they wrap up literally any one thing? Maybe the Norma story?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Bown posted:

Stuff like that ^^^^ makes me think season 4 is literally just gonna be a sequel season to 3. They left everything hanging. Did they wrap up literally any one thing? Maybe the Norma story?

Soso finally found acceptance somewhere, I guess?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It seemed like they had Poussey hook up with Soso right there at the end, so that seems like it at least resolves the battle with loneliness that both had throughout this season (and arguably the last, too). Morello finally getting married also seem like a pretty definite resolution.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ruby Rose :swoon:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rarity posted:

Ruby Rose :swoon:

She was actually pretty fun even if she was so obviously just a stand-in for Nicky. It seems like maybe Natasha Lyonne had other filming commitments, so they wrote her out, and replaced her for the rest of the series with a character that is basically her, then with that character going away at the end of the season.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Episode 8: Tucky and Donut Guard are the best pair ever. I hope this pans out in a cool way!
Episode 9:FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Also, Leanne backstory is pretty neat.

I almost wish this show barely had a main plot other than to introduce you to the characters and just focused on backstories instead. By far the best part of the show. So far I still somehow like this season more than last, but first was far better than either.

Edit: Episode 10: How did that get so much worse. I am now disappointed if this doesn't end with this prick dead.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 14, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this season was largely terrible. Not without its bright spots for sure, but I don't know if it's just diminishing returns with this show, but it's so goddamn inconsistent. There were like 4 whole episodes I thought were complete garbage.

Things I liked:

-Morello. She was fantastic, new favourite after Nicky's departure. Her response to Flaca telling her that she'd ask her friends not to pee all over the place was the funniest line of the season. Anime dude was funny too. Also "CONSUMMATE THE poo poo OUT OF THIS MARRIAGE"
-Pennsatucky. They did some really great stuff with her this season. The rape stuff was... less successful, but I actually think Taryn Manning handled it really well, and it brought her and Boo closer together. The scene where she breaks down after Boo tries to "buy" her was the best performance of the season in my mind.
-Caputo+the guards. I really love Caputo's character, even though the actual storyline of battling the privatised prison was lame and hamfisted. Bringing guards like Maxwell more into focus was also a great move. Also :laffo: at him and Figueroa
-Piper. As I said earlier in the thread, I very much did not care for the "main" plot of the show involving Alex and Piper and Jason Biggs and all that poo poo in the first two seasons. It helped a lot that she wasn't the focal point of this season, and made her role a lot more tolerable. Her little panty business was pretty funny for the most part (:laffo: Felonious Spunk), and I liked that they didn't make such a big deal out of the whole love triangle business, and just had Alex and Piper call it off without much fanfare. Ultimately, them admitting that Piper is just a lovely person and having fun with it is the best possible scenario, though tonally the bit in the final episode was kinda weird, and I don't know if they were trying to portray her as a badass or what.
-Luschek going NOPE. Him making bank off the heroin was hilarious too.

Things I did not like:

-Nicky. gently caress, man, what a lovely way to write out such a great character. I assume it happened because of scheduling stuff or they wouldn't leave open the option for her to come back, but still. gently caress man, Nicky's so awesome.
-Norma. Just, what a lame loving character. Everything they did with her was dumb as gently caress, and not entertaining or funny.
-Suzanne. She's going nowhere. 90% of her scenes are just "Suzanne says something craaaaazy isn't that funny???", and it's honestly kind of insulting, because there could be so much more to her. They took the whole Time Humpers thing way too far, and it stopped being funny very quickly. I had hopes that they were going to do something interesting wit her when she was invited to the closet, but uh nope.
-Not everyone needs to have this super deep shocking background, show. Meth head Leanne actually being Amish was such a dumb reveal and it added nothing to her character.
-Although I appreciate the fact that they dropped the Dayonara/Bennett storyline, the way they did it was lovely, and also it's way too late to try and make us feel even remotely sympathetic for Daya's awful mother, I'm sorry. Also they bring in Mary Steenburgen for this whole thing that again goes nowhere. The whole will she/won't she keep the baby thing was poorly done.
-Privatization storyline as the main focus of the season was bad, there was no substance to it. It's just "these execs only care about money!!!" and there was no interesting conflict there.
-Red storyline could've been interesting, but like most other storylines this season it just meandered. So she's back in the kitchen, ok. The Healy thing didn't work either, but I'll let that pass just 'cause I still love seeing Steve from Deadwood trying to be a prison counsellor.

I don't mind the fact that there wasn't a main antagonist or really much of a throughline in this season, that's fine. Just make it entertaining or funny, but much of it wasn't. It was really all over the place.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Brooke is the New Black

I'd just end up repeating a lot of what everyone else already said, but I have to say I really didn't like the character Stella. She was this show's Poochie. Just this ultra-cool character that you're just supposed to pretend was always there but nobody ever noticed until now. They even call attention to it with Alex noticing this other inmate a couple of times and they mention "Oh isn't it weird how all of a sudden you will just notice an inmate that's been here forever but you never saw them before?"

Flaca is still totally my poo poo. The concept of that character is equal parts hilarious and attractive. Like a sexy clown.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
All my favorite characters in this show are dudes now that Nikki is gone. Feels weird.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Jamesman posted:

Flaca is still totally my poo poo. The concept of that character is equal parts hilarious and attractive. Like a sexy clown.

Flacca is great. The lack of Maritza with Flacca was not great.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Flacca Blanca is great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flaca is so hot.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I'll say this about Blanca, she cleans up GOOD.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Time limit has passed, so no need for spoiler tags anymore.

I liked this season a LOT more than season 2, and probably on par with season 1. Norma's storyline definitely went on too long and it didn't even really seem to evolve once Soso was kicked out. Leanne turns it into a cult with all these rules, someone calls her out on it and says Norma is an accessory to *BAD THING* and Norma alternates between basking in the attention and feeling bad about what she started. Other than that though, I really enjoyed basically everything else about the season. I liked the slice of life style where there doesn't need to be a big cartoon supervillain like Vee was. It's more about these women and how they cope with prison. It wasn't like the first two seasons where the end of one episode drives you to watch another, but each episode is a little story on its own.

Piper can't seem to really get into focus as a character though. Season 1 she alternated between rational contrition and a complete lack of impulse control. Season 2 I barely remember if she did anything. I guess she worked with that journalist guy and then some nonsense about Polly and Larry. This season she basically turned into Walter White totally out of nowhere. She is so inconsistent, it's bizarre.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm only on episode four but this is even worse than season 2 so far.

I'm glad Nicky is being sent to maximum, hopefully she stays there forever. Some people were saying she's the best character/actor on the show but I couldn't disagree more. Being a sarcastic lesbian junkie is not endearing

Nothing grinds this show to a halt like the Bennett and Daya stuff though, I hope a plane crashes into their secret spot while they are making out in broad daylight but somehow nobody sees them.

I'm going to finish the series because I'm a dumb idiot but 4 hours in and I'm not having a great time. I will say however that the show is better off without a cartoonish villain(and the 'I have cancer and I'm dying' woman), but I'm still trying to find a reason to care.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think the Australian woman only exists in Piper's head, which explains why she is not interesting.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

The Duggler posted:

I will say however that the show is better off without a cartoonish villain(and the 'I have cancer and I'm dying' woman), but I'm still trying to find a reason to care.

I liked Rosa.And she has a small cameo in a flashback!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did we see Lolly at the beach party?

Jesus Louise
Jan 4, 2007

They're coming to get you, Barbara.
The whole season felt like a really good, extra long episode to me. I look forward to season 4, but I don't feel like I'm done with season 3 yet. It doesn't feel complete. Oh, well, I'm interested in seeing Red vs. Martha Stewart/Paula Deen Mashup, so I'll be watching again next year.

There were some really weird choices made, though. What was the deal with the first girl that Alex thought was stalking her? We saw her twice, then switched her out for Lolly . If they were setting up Alex's paranoia, there were several other, less clunky ways to do that. Also as tiresome as the Bennet/Daya thing has been, what the hell happened there? I'm assuming he's laying low, disassociating himself from the prison, and calling the DEA down on Cesar so he can get custody of the baby next season. The only part of that that doesn't make sense is why he would let Daya think he bailed. I know the character consistency on this show is crap, but him just driving away into the sunset doesn't fit with anything about him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I've only finished 3 episodes. Is there any more to the Bennett war zone flashback? Because if not, w,hat the gently caress was the point?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

I've only finished 3 episodes. Is there any more to the Bennett war zone flashback? Because if not, w,hat the gently caress was the point?

I'm going to give you three guesses... :wink:

Just finished the series.

Pros:
+ The panties plot.
+ The Judaism plot.
+ The privatization plot and every scene that slimy little Director of Human Activities eel was in. MCC would have made a magnificent villain if they started that at the beginning and really ramped it up throughout the season.
+ Bennett never, ever coming back...but not before we got to see him put on a show.
+ More flashbacks. They were all good, but Pennsatucky's and Daya's mom's flashbacks broke my heart.
+ Healey getting served, repeatedly, by everyone.

Cons:
- Everything to do with Daya
- Everything, even the good plots, being slow as fuckity gently caress (The Norma plot, and, frankly, every other plot, would have been much better if they either happened much earlier in the season or took far less time to get going. Similarly, I'm not anti-Daya, but Jesus Christ so much time devoted to the same old song and dance.)
- The crazy tonal shifts (the Alex maybe-assassination immediately transitions to an extended frolic-in the-lake-scene? Really?)
- Barely any resolution anywhere.

This felt like a transition season, or maybe just one that should have been a few episodes shorter. Hopefully season 4 will be better. And maybe the last one? It feels like things are repeating themselves already, I can't imagine this going on for too much longer.

...or someone could drop a few nukes and we could finally get Jericho: Litchfield Edition, because I'd watch that poo poo for another five seasons easy. Red would start conquering everything before you could say Cold War Part Two and God I already want it.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 16, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I feel like this show wants me to sympathize with Healy when he gets dumped on but he's such a horrible person that I just don't care

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

oatgan posted:

I feel like this show wants me to sympathize with Healy when he gets dumped on but he's such a horrible person that I just don't care

Every time I feel even the littlest bit sorry for him he promptly does something horrible and then gets his face rubbed in it a few minutes later, it's actually a pretty sadistic cycle but since he's also one of the few sources of catharsis in this show I just can't care either.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Retail Slave posted:

I've only finished 3 episodes. Is there any more to the Bennett war zone flashback? Because if not, what the gently caress was the point?

When it comes down to the crunch, he's not the sort of man that puts himself on the line for other people's sakes. He saves himself.

Bennett has just done a runner and if you think he's ever coming back you're a fool.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Norma cult would have been a decent one episode plot, but making it a season wide plot really hurt it for me. Same with Suzanne's erotic story, but I just think they don't know what to do with her so they make her the "random" character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Bennett giving some of the women on the show a run for best breasts.

• Locked thread