Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foomin
Feb 14, 2005

moths posted:

I was thinking about it today, and the show talks both sides of its mouth on its messaging. Bennett depicted as a terrible coward for shirking duty, but Caputo is shown as a doormat / victim for shouldering his. Norma singing at Christmas was spiritual, but spiritual Norma is a waste of screen time.

It's not a show meant to actually have messages, but it's confusingly inconsistent at times.
Pretty sure the guiding moral is that life and people are more complex than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Read the first few pages of this thread and was surprised how many people hated this season. I like this season even though it's not as intense as last season. I'm only on episode 9 but just chilling with the characters is cool. Also Ruby Rose is attractive.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I was hating on Ruby Rose before the season released and all of her screentime just confirmed my expectations. Piper did the coolest thing this season by framing her pretty Aussie rear end :kamina:.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rarity posted:

Her flashbacks implied it was for illegal gambling

When she blew up at that priest guy when she was pretending to be straight, there was something mentioned about a "thieving dyke", so probably burglary or theft?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I was hating on Ruby Rose before the season released and all of her screentime just confirmed my expectations. Piper did the coolest thing this season by framing her pretty Aussie rear end :kamina:.

She kinda went overboard with planting evidence though. It was like that scene in Bruce Almighty when the dog found Jimmy Hoffa's body and his birth certificate and his dental records.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Why doesn't Pennsatucky/Doggett just tell Kaputo or the other guards that Correction Officer Donutsraped her and that she wants a rape kit?
Kaputo would not want to deal with another rape case/lawsuit and another possible pregnancy and would probably fire Coates.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

xerxus posted:

Why doesn't Pennsatucky/Doggett just tell Kaputo or the other guards that Correction Officer Donutsraped her and that she wants a rape kit?
Kaputo would not want to deal with another rape case/lawsuit and another possible pregnancy and would probably fire Coates.

Because she refused to accept she had been raped until days later.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Yeah, that one's pretty open and shut. She didn't really understand rape because her life had been such poo poo up to that point so it just seemed like a normal thing guys do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Foomin posted:

Pretty sure the guiding moral is that life and people are more complex than that

True, but at other times the show presents children's television levels of morality. Don't do X because Y will happen! The premise of the show is (arguably) the consequences of actions, but then they're shown as arbitrary and random.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

Read the first few pages of this thread and was surprised how many people hated this season. I like this season even though it's not as intense as last season. I'm only on episode 9 but just chilling with the characters is cool. Also Ruby Rose is attractive.

Yeah, me too. I don't need a "Villian of the season" like so many other shows do... Burn Notice and Dexter come to mind. To be honest, Vee was such a despicable character, and made everyone around her so lovely, that I didn't even enjoy watching and "spending time" with these characters, last season. I'm glad they got away from that and we got more slice of life.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

How mad are you guys gonna be when the crazy chick with the glasses saves Alex's life with the piece of broken glass next season?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Whatever other problems I had with this season were washed away with Crazy Eye's fanfiction is really is the best plotline this show could hope to pull off, they should put it up on a site for some marketing action.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
The chicken is the best character in this entire show.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

socialsecurity posted:

Whatever other problems I had with this season were washed away with Crazy Eye's fanfiction is really is the best plotline this show could hope to pull off, they should put it up on a site for some marketing action.

I'm thinking of changing my name to Space Admiral Rodcocker.

Not my SA name. My actual legal name.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Stalins Moustache posted:

The chicken is the best character in this entire show.

The chicken reappearing was the biggest "YESSSSSSSSSS" moment of the whole series.

That and everything Chang done.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That turned into a loving great season.

And you know what? The series could end right there and it'd be pretty much thematically whole and narratively complete. Great, great stuff.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In line at the grocery store today, a frazzled mother in front of me unloading her cart ignoring the 1 year old child in the child seat, crying about something. I was just trying to ignore it all. Then all of a sudden the mom reaches back and smacks the kid's hand HARD because she was touching the belt the groceries sit on. Holy crap, that seemed uncalled for. For a moment I thought I was seeing a OitNB flashback about why that particular inmate was screwed up enough to end up in jail.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Steve2911 posted:

That turned into a loving great season.

I can't decide if this season had more lows than the first two, it may well could have, but it's my favourite of the three. Certainly the most consistent in tone and I was in love with how varied the flashbacks were in terms of which characters we got to see.

I love how Piper has convinced herself she's an awful person who belongs in prison and now must live up to her new idea of herself, when the truth is she's just kind of a bitch with a manipulative side who happened to end up in a relationship with a drug trafficker. Piper cranked to 11 is great. To be honest I've always liked Piper, she's the Nancy Botwin-type and I love me some Nancy Botwin. Plus Taylor Schilling is just great.

Biggest beef is how much I felt the gap Nicky left behind.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Jewish conversion plot was the highlight of the season. I belly laughed at almost everything Black Cindy did in that process.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Jewish conversion and Danny turning out to actually be a good guy who legitimately WAS trying to pass on Caputo's suggestions but getting stonewalled by his profit chasing dad/CEO were the highlights for me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

socialsecurity posted:

They should have let her keep writing. When she was writing Space Humpers she wasn't flipping out at people or making out with mops. It gave her an outlet!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, I love how many plots in this series would change completely if Litchfield had just a basic CCTV setup.

stev fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 27, 2015

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
:siren: everything is a spoiler:siren: i can't remember what stuff belongs in which episode, but Ihave been FORCED to watch this show against my will as part of a contract that makes me able to force watching THE SHIELD on the person forcing OitNB on me, and having finished season 3 of Orange is the new Black I would like to write about the most retarded things that I hate in the world

The greatest offense is when the show tries and fails to be funny and then goes straight to something super serious and sad. The single wirst example of this imo is in episode whatever when Piper is making the speech about selling panties where she steps up on the table. I get that this show is not a documentary and sometimes the show does sappy, or silly funn things well, but this speech is a perfect example of the show failing at being funny when it isn't sticking with beliveable low-key stuff and end up being full blown hall mark greeting card retarded. This show imo would be a lot better with a less-is-more approach, especially when it comes to trying to be funny. If that scene had ended with literal fireworks and a song and dance routine it wouldn't have been more out of place than it already was. Anyway, that wasbad, but what is especially bad is that 1 second after the silly, over-the-top, forced & hamfisted &wayyyy too long insanely bad Piper monologue, the scene cuts directly to Poussey in a super sad situation thathas to do with her alcoholism. The juxtaposition between light and dark stuff isn't shocking, thought-provoking or whatever, it's just jarringly bad and manages to not make you give a poo poo about an otherwise pretty cool character's seriius issue because it is shown back to back with a scene that so blatantly breaks the fourth wall in it's over-the-top sillyness that it carries on into the next scene. Like, less being more would make the more serious stuff better, too, as in the australian chick being framed with perhaps just a knife instead of the scene where Austin Powers can't get the swedish penis pump through customs. A knife made of freaking jelly beans, contraband spaghtttios, one hundred million M&Ms spilling out from her troysers and whatever istotally not my bag baby.

The second and thrid greatest offence are the two other major plots that tries too hard to be funny & zany; Crazy Eye's fan fiction and Norma's cult. The show isn't exactly subtle, but these two characters come across as cartoon characters more than any of the other characters, and the their plots and whenever either of their monkey cheese plot lines cuts to someone like whatshername, the trans woman, or the bullied asian girl, or any of the more straight-played, serious stories, which imo is where the heart of the show is, it just cheapens the good stuff. It's like visiting the circus and after the clowns are done riding around on unicycles and pratfalling, one of the clowns stays in the single spotlight and very somberly tells you heartbreaking story about how she was raped once while the circus music is still peetering out and elephants are pooping in the background.

Just to not be all negative, here are some good stuff that I saw, as well:

The relationship between Dutch and Claudette changes in a significant, beliveable and cool way.

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

Grandmother of Five posted:

:siren: everything is a spoiler:siren: i can't remember what stuff belongs in which episode, but Ihave been FORCED to watch this show against my will as part of a contract that makes me able to force watching THE SHIELD on the person forcing OitNB on me, and having finished season 3 of Orange is the new Black I would like to write about the most retarded things that I hate in the world

The greatest offense is when the show tries and fails to be funny and then goes straight to something super serious and sad. The single wirst example of this imo is in episode whatever when Piper is making the speech about selling panties where she steps up on the table. I get that this show is not a documentary and sometimes the show does sappy, or silly funn things well, but this speech is a perfect example of the show failing at being funny when it isn't sticking with beliveable low-key stuff and end up being full blown hall mark greeting card retarded. This show imo would be a lot better with a less-is-more approach, especially when it comes to trying to be funny. If that scene had ended with literal fireworks and a song and dance routine it wouldn't have been more out of place than it already was. Anyway, that wasbad, but what is especially bad is that 1 second after the silly, over-the-top, forced & hamfisted &wayyyy too long insanely bad Piper monologue, the scene cuts directly to Poussey in a super sad situation thathas to do with her alcoholism. The juxtaposition between light and dark stuff isn't shocking, thought-provoking or whatever, it's just jarringly bad and manages to not make you give a poo poo about an otherwise pretty cool character's seriius issue because it is shown back to back with a scene that so blatantly breaks the fourth wall in it's over-the-top sillyness that it carries on into the next scene. Like, less being more would make the more serious stuff better, too, as in the australian chick being framed with perhaps just a knife instead of the scene where Austin Powers can't get the swedish penis pump through customs. A knife made of freaking jelly beans, contraband spaghtttios, one hundred million M&Ms spilling out from her troysers and whatever istotally not my bag baby.

The second and thrid greatest offence are the two other major plots that tries too hard to be funny & zany; Crazy Eye's fan fiction and Norma's cult. The show isn't exactly subtle, but these two characters come across as cartoon characters more than any of the other characters, and the their plots and whenever either of their monkey cheese plot lines cuts to someone like whatshername, the trans woman, or the bullied asian girl, or any of the more straight-played, serious stories, which imo is where the heart of the show is, it just cheapens the good stuff. It's like visiting the circus and after the clowns are done riding around on unicycles and pratfalling, one of the clowns stays in the single spotlight and very somberly tells you heartbreaking story about how she was raped once while the circus music is still peetering out and elephants are pooping in the background.

The relationship between Dutch and Claudette changes in a significant, beliveable and cool way.

oh my God

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
That post just made me gain appreciation for all the crappy things in this season. Thanks for the perspective!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grandmother of Five posted:

Check out this moron. Austin Power's penis-enlarger pump embarrassment happened as his personal effects were returned after reanimation, not going through customs, idiot!

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Gaunab posted:

I like this season because it's not as intense as the last season. I liked it way better than season 2. I don't know. When I originally got in to this show, I kept watching because I was compelled to continue seeing where each character would end up, not because of criminal drama or cliff hangers. I felt like this season was a throw back to season 1.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tupping Liberty posted:

I like this season because it's not as intense as the last season. I liked it way better than season 2. I don't know. When I originally got in to this show, I kept watching because I was compelled to continue seeing where each character would end up, not because of criminal drama or cliff hangers. I felt like this season was a throw back to season 1.

Kind of like what Season 1 would have been more like if they weren't busy focusing on Piper while juggling introducing the rest of the cast.

I liked this season a lot. It had some dumb and/ or hilarious poo poo but it was super chill, with random pieces of very nice acting. These are the same reasons I enjoy every season of Weeds.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I feel like I have a lot more things to say about this show, but instead of expressing most of them in words I have instead opted to do series of fierce kicks and punches into the air. Overall I think the show is good, which I guess may not have been readily apparent. I like it. Basically, on a scale of 1-3, where a score of 1 represents a show that I will forget about entirely after my contract partner and I part ways; a score of 2 represents the eventual release of season 4 making me think that I was stupid for letting someone so much better than me slip away from me but NOT actually watching season 4; and a score of 3 represents me most definitely watching season 4 even if it makes me cry about how I'll never find someone like that again; this show easily scores 3, the highest possible score.

Someone mentioned the show "Weeds" and I have to watch that as well. Also Sense8, and I can't remember what else. There is a lot of Seasons/Episodes in THE SHIELD.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The best part of the whole season was the scene of Cal and his wife Not-Jenny-Slate trying to figure out on how to go into business of their own. I actually found myself wishing the entire season had revolved around them.

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

The dog is fine in Portugal - that big threat is away - you don't have to worry about crime anymore.
Seeing this show is based on real life, anyone have any idea which band Caputo's old band was supposed to be? They seemed to be pretty successful.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

PirateMathew posted:

Seeing this show is based on real life, anyone have any idea which band Caputo's old band was supposed to be? They seemed to be pretty successful.

Things that are from Real Life: A woman named Piper went to jail.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

Also the reasons why she went to jail and that she had a fiance.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

GigaPeon posted:

Most of the inmates are at least somewhat based on real people, too. Sister Ingalls is based on Ardeth Platte, there really was a trans woman inmate, Red really is based on a Russian who was in charge of the kitchen, etc.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
There was a missing screwdriver in both, with vastly different outcomes.

They both almost had a rich TV chef come to their prison.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

PirateMathew posted:

ahahaha no way

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

PirateMathew posted:

:chanpop:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

PirateMathew posted:

It was Pearl Jam.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I get so confused when I find out someone actually liked Bennet/Daya and is sad that he bailed on her. Like I'm unable to process those opinions at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Jamesman posted:

I get so confused when I find out someone actually liked Bennet/Daya and is sad that he bailed on her. Like I'm unable to process those opinions at all.

They were bland and far too sugary sweet considering it's a prison (Even if a poorly run and hilariously inept one), but it was still nice to see some kind of relationship that crosses both racial and class borders.

I'm still thinking he'll end up returning in the next season and she'll snub him for leaving regardless of his reasons.

• Locked thread