Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Lycus posted:

Should've cut out the lovely cult storyline and given Morello more screentime or comeuppance for the maintenance guy.

I think the ultimate point of the lovely cult storyline was to get Poussey and Soso together for next season. Which should be interesting. Not sure how it's gonna play out, but they make a cute couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm on episode 8 and I have no idea what is going on

I wish Norma was dead though

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Crow Jane posted:

I think the ultimate point of the lovely cult storyline was to get Poussey and Soso together for next season. Which should be interesting. Not sure how it's gonna play out, but they make a cute couple.

Nah as the show admits, Soso can't commit to anything. :rolleye:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

The Duggler posted:

I'm on episode 8 and I have no idea what is going on

I wish Norma was dead though

Christianity tried that, it didn't work.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I really liked Season 3 :shobon:

Season 2 was a bit of a mess, but Season 3 was much more on point. The whole season is extremely consistent thematically and the show has always had that not-subtle making-fun-of-itself sense of humor.

The show started Season 1 focused on Piper with a sort of "we're going from point A to point B" but it has successfully strayed away from that and getting a character's full story isn't really the point. Or at least that's how I watch the show. Laughed a lot more than I thought I would, and Mike Birbiglia was hilarious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm finally seeing Season 1, and this show is not good at drama. It's pretty good at comedy, especially dark comedy, but its drama is not good. The plot with Daya and Bennet is super creepy and I honestly wonder if someone forced them to add it - the show's usually a lot more aware of why that power dynamic makes romance unacceptable. It doesn't really feel in line with the rest of the show at all.

Also, I hate whoever does the score.

One thing I appreciate in Season 3 is the increased focus on comedy, and if they stick to that and manage to fix their plotting, Season 4 could be a lot better.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Maybe I'm too sappy of a dude, but I thought the first episode was really good. A heartfelt mothers day exploration with some lighter themes. That still had stabs of darkness and reality

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm finally seeing Season 1, and this show is not good at drama. It's pretty good at comedy, especially dark comedy, but its drama is not good. The plot with Daya and Bennet is super creepy and I honestly wonder if someone forced them to add it - the show's usually a lot more aware of why that power dynamic makes romance unacceptable. It doesn't really feel in line with the rest of the show at all.

One thing I appreciate in Season 3 is the increased focus on comedy, and if they stick to that and manage to fix their plotting, Season 4 could be a lot better.

I think the show would be worse off if it was just a full-on comedy, but yeah it has always had trouble striking a proper tonal balance. Like it goes from Alex maybe being shived to death by a guard directly to everyone frolicking in a lake and Suzanne throwing around turtles, whiplash is not a strong enough descriptor here.

I feel like the show is good in spite of itself, and I'm starting to wonder if it's entirely just because of its stellar cast and maybe the writing and directing has been poo poo all along. Maybe that's unfair, but yeah it goes off the deep end enough times that I'm definitely questioning it.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
I'm not entirely surprised with the poor writing/directing choices. Remember, this is Jenji Kohan, who brought us a brilliant first three seasons of Weeds... and then she brought us the other seasons, too.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mary Steenburgen is probably the hottest old lady in the world

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

queertea posted:

I'm not entirely surprised with the poor writing/directing choices. Remember, this is Jenji Kohan, who brought us a brilliant first three seasons of Weeds... and then she brought us the other seasons, too.

Fwiw I think this season was great and probably my favorite so far. Just starting the finale though and it seems to be pretty unanimous that it's disappointing.

The first season was really good but had all of the Jason Biggs bs that just sucked, season 2 was really entertaining but I though Vee was too much of a cartoon villain for the show. SSN3 was lacking a lot of "holy poo poo" moments but I thought it was pretty consitent and really entertaining.

The Duggler posted:

Mary Steenburgen is probably the hottest old lady in the world

She's up there.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
I don't know why this show decided to ignore so many great characters for pretty much the entire season so that they could instead focus on Norma.

I thought the season was ok until episode 8 and then it became absolutely horrible.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So seriously what the gently caress happened to Bennet? Did I miss a scene or something because his disappearance seemed totally random and out of character.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

So seriously what the gently caress happened to Bennet? Did I miss a scene or something because his disappearance seemed totally random and out of character.

At the end of the episode where he's last seen he ditches the crib he was given by Ceaser by the roadside, to show he chickened the gently caress out.

It threw me off a bit at first too, but I saw it pointed out that the flashbacks in that episode - him talking tough to the drill sergeant, how he'd do whatever it takes, and later running from the grenade only to have some other guy take the blast is basically to show how his character is basically all talk.

While I don't really like the Daya-Bennett stuff I kinda hope there's something else to it. It seems so abrupt for him to not even show up briefly outside in some scene outside the prison.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

It threw me off a bit at first too, but I saw it pointed out that the flashbacks in that episode - him talking tough to the drill sergeant, how he'd do whatever it takes, and later running from the grenade only to have some other guy take the blast is basically to show how his character is basically all talk.

Eh, I thought the flashbacks made a bad case. I can't say it's cowardly to want to avoid putting your foot near a grenade. And it was totally out of character for the guy whose only character trait is obsessing over Daya suddenly vanishing forever.

I just couldn't give a poo poo because if those two declared their love for each other and made out right there in the prison one more time I was going to loving lose it. Once he was gone the Daya plot went from oh god pluck out my eyes to still not tolerable but I can white knuckle through it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah. Wow I didn't even process any of that. I actually rewound the crib scene because I didn't get why he ditched it.

I guess that makes sense, but it seems so at odds with everything he did up until that point. I was waiting for them to find him dead or something until the last episode.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The way the show generally seems written, I doubt he actually just straight up ran away never to be seen again. It's way too much like something that would happen real life, and in a show that features our main character building a business empire out of sweaty panties and ramen and another character becoming Prison EL James, I kinda doubt that the writers would actually do that. That kind of realistic cynicism has seemed more reserved for the flashbacks than the present-day happenings at the prison.

My bet's still that it's a money thing, like he ran off to try to find another job so he could make more money and then come back while thinking that what he did was heroic but by then Daya would have moved on or something. That whole episode he seemed to be concerned about how much he was making, since then Daya battled the idea that her child should have a better life (With "better" in this context meaning "money"), and Bennett left before the prison was bought out, when rumors would have been starting to spread about the possibility of the guards all losing their jobs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

His flashback was confusing because they seemed to be about naive Bennett's (relative) compassion and humanity to the locals, which paralleled his "softness" with the inmates. But that led to a grenade attack that wasn't a direct consequence of his actions.

I feel like there's something distasteful in narrative that compares raising your child to diving on a live grenade.

E: holy poo poo. Don't know I missed that.

moths fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 19, 2015

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
She literally says "This baby inside me feels more like a grenade"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just finished the season, and I have to say I liked it more than Season 2 as well. I may even have liked it more than Season 1, though it's been so long since I watched it that it's hard to remember.

I think the Doggett/Boo pairing was definitely the highlight of the season, though I also liked Piper's arc and a lot of the guard stuff. I've never liked the Daya/Bennett plotline so I was glad to see it pretty much get cut off early.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

The kid they got to play little Daya is either her actual child or they CGId her face into a little persons body

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Duggler posted:

The kid they got to play little Daya is either her actual child or they CGId her face into a little persons body

young boo was also perfectly cast

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Duggler posted:

Seriously, it has to be the actress who played Daya's little sister or something. It's uncanny.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I like the touch that Caputo based his look in adulthood on his coach, and also that they were able to not one but two people with Hogan 'staches for this show.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This. I hate when shows throw in an all too obvious piano tune that almost shouts:'THIS IS AN EMOTIONAL MOMENT, no more laughing, feel sad you simple monkey'.
They do this so much in this show.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Finished the season

Unless Laura Prepon wants off the show I'm not ready to call Alex dead just yet

Norma should have drown herself to save us from seeing her next year

Cindy actually made me like her a little bit with the whole Jewish thing. It was dumb when it was about kosher meals (and I suppose in some way it actually still is) but she got emotional and we got a glimpse into her life that made it make some sense.

How did Piper manage to sneak an entire prisons worth of contraband into Stella's bunk without her noticing? That was a really bad conclusion. Don't they have cameras at litchfield? She could have said that someone framed her and they could just check the video. Maybe next year we will get a bunch of Morello and Stella action which would be a nice break from Piper and Alex awkwardly pawing at each other.

Feel bad for Brooke, but I guess now she is part of the gangsta nation so I expect her to say friend of the family and get told "aww hell naw!" At least once next season.

It was really strange to end the season with a beach party, rather than give any sort of satisfying conclusion to anything that happened. But maybe it's intentional, like nothing is ever wrapped up nicely and people just have to live with what is going on around them.

7/10

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mrfart posted:

This. I hate when shows throw in an all too obvious piano tune that almost shouts:'THIS IS AN EMOTIONAL MOMENT, no more laughing, feel sad you simple monkey'.
They do this so much in this show.
Right? It's really bad.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I really hate the song choices they make to end every episode. Like, oh here is some whiny Regina Spektor sounding bullshit, must be the end of the episode. And of course we need one hiphop song too just to make it look like we're diverse.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I just finished the season and definitely enjoyed it. Much more than season 2. I liked that Piper got back at the hot lesbian in the most ruthless way possible. I found it interesting that Caputo has been a relatively sympathetic character because he always made decisions to help himself and others in the long run, constantly getting kind of screwed over, but recoverable. Then the moment he makes a completely selfish decision he gets completely hosed over. I was happy to see that happen.

Edit: This show had some really corny scenes, but I thought Black Cindy crying about finding a calling was very good and quite nice.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 20, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Caputos life sucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Caputos life sucks.

Hate loving Fig sounds pretty rad tbh though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Wow this season was really bad, and not very good.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Caputos life sucks.

His ex girlfriend was right though, he is suffering because he is so quick to fall on every sword even when not asked to.

The best thing he's done is take Mike Birbiglia's job

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The episode 10 ending was Game of Thrones levels of hosed up. Just two more episdoes to watch tho and im done with this season.

p.s. all hail Norma.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

NESguerilla posted:

Hate loving Fig sounds pretty rad tbh though.

too skinny

even his gently caress buddies suck

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Duggler posted:

His ex girlfriend was right though, he is suffering because he is so quick to fall on every sword even when not asked to.

The best thing he's done is take Mike Birbiglia's job

Yeah, he volunteered for that wrestling match that ended his wrestling future, and he was straight up told that if the prison was shut down he'd probably get a job somewhere else. Caputo really goes out of his way to get himself into unpleasant situations because he feels like he's the only one who can handle everybody else's dumbass problems.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah, he volunteered for that wrestling match that ended his wrestling future, and he was straight up told that if the prison was shut down he'd probably get a job somewhere else. Caputo really goes out of his way to get himself into unpleasant situations because he feels like he's the only one who can handle everybody else's dumbass problems.

TBF everyone around him is a dumbass and can hardly handle their problems on their own though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

TBF everyone around him is a dumbass and can hardly handle their problems on their own though.

Caputo has to just let people fall though. You have to allow people, even those close to you, make their own mistakes and get back up on their own. There was a lot of good life lessons in that episode. That was my favorite episode of the season by far, and possibly the show?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They really doubled down on the whole maternity theme this season. Seems like a strong Vee-like central character would have tied it all together, but I guess that would've been a bit redundant.

I got major feels for Red and Healey. They have a mutually understood attraction that they begrudgingly agree can't be acted upon. Finally. Some loving adults on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Young Healey was the best thing in S3.

• Locked thread