Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
or pop up like us on face book things

just kill yourselves seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
agree op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:agreed:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
thats why i get my news from GBS

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

all websites

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm great thread, lots pf possibilities for jokes here... Heh, just gotta think for a sec...

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
How about sites like Paypal that now open right up with a full-window video of some actor/ress looking insanely thrilled with his new smart phone card scanner app thingy using up all my bandwidths

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
The "Like us on Facebook" ads are called Modals. And they are supposed to be annoying as gently caress. The idea is that if you go to the site often enough and get bothered enough times you just hit like to get it out of your loving face.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

General Tofu posted:

How about sites like Paypal that now open right up with a full-window video of some actor/ress looking insanely thrilled with his new smart phone card scanner app thingy using up all my bandwidths

do you have a bandwidth cap

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
No, but it's the principle of the thing. Also what if I'm using tethering on my phone which DOES?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
56k gtfo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I agree. They're the only ones that do it too it's super annoying.

I made this exact thread a couple months ago and people told me to use an extension to stop it but gently caress all that.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
:agreed:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

General Tofu posted:

No, but it's the principle of the thing. Also what if I'm using tethering on my phone which DOES?

my phone has unlimited data

smugface

40gb last month

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
this is why i generally only read headlines now

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
its called an rss feed ask your 40 year old kid how to set one up (since most of them are at least a decade out of date by now)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not even about bandwidth it's just loving annoying to start reading and you scroll down and OH LOOK there's a video playing scroll up and pause then go back down. It's trivial but gently caress.

Or if you want to ctrl-click open like 8 stories and THEY ALL START PLAYING A VIDEO come on idiot fuckers haven't you heard of tabs?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
you say that but without a midi of the jurassic park theme playing im not sure how else i can enjoy my dinosaur based erotic literature

http://www.jamesleffler.com/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Auto playing videos or sound on a webpage pretty much guarantees I'll never go back.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

my phone has unlimited data

smugface

40gb last month

I had a Walmart phone that did that. I used like 28 gigs in a month. Of course, this was at near dial-up speeds, but hey. Getting some serious mileage out of that $25 card.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Youtube's auto play is stupid bullshit too that keeps turning itself back on or did when they implemented it. Why would anyone ever want that?

I hate that the right bar still has "recommended for you" videos as well, I've never wanted to click one in the history of the site and it just cuts down on the number of actually related videos to display.

At least it's not as bad as skype which literally gets worse with every update. And they try to force you to update. 4.2.0.187 was the best version, but it now auto alerts all your friends that you're using an outdated version of skype which is kinda bullshit so I am using the latest but it's worse in most ways and all the actual annoying bugs aren't fixed.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

It's not even about bandwidth it's just loving annoying to start reading and you scroll down and OH LOOK there's a video playing scroll up and pause then go back down. It's trivial but gently caress.

Or if you want to ctrl-click open like 8 stories and THEY ALL START PLAYING A VIDEO come on idiot fuckers haven't you heard of tabs?

All of this + the tethering issue are my hates

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

Youtube's auto play is stupid bullshit too that keeps turning itself back on or did when they implemented it. Why would anyone ever want that?

I hate that the right bar still has "recommended for you" videos as well, I've never wanted to click one in the history of the site and it just cuts down on the number of actually related videos to display.

yeah this too

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
AND WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH AIRLINE FOOD????

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
yea

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat horror queefs posted:

AND WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH AIRLINE FOOD????

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Khorne posted:

At least it's not as bad as skype which literally gets worse with every update. And they try to force you to update. 4.2.0.187 was the best version, but it now auto alerts all your friends that you're using an outdated version of skype which is kinda bullshit so I am using the latest but it's worse in most ways and all the actual annoying bugs aren't fixed.

why would you want to load up a youtube video and not play it

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Parallax Scroll posted:

10 hours of "Whats Up" to torture prisoners of war?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

ctrl-click opening multiple tabs?

I think what he is talking about though is that new autoplay thing that starts playing the next video it thinks you would want to see automatically as soon as the one you were watching is over. You can turn it off in the top right but I swear it doesn't stay off.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

its weird because so far its almost exlusively american news websites. Im not american but every now and then Ill read an article on one of those sites and its annoying as gently caress

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
im a buttt

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
stop reading HuffPo, it's garbage.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Parallax Scroll posted:

I don't care about that, but they have a new feature that starts playing random videos after your current one finishes.

It's not related to playlists or anything either. It just starts playing videos it thinks are related with no warning or consent.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Khorne posted:

I don't care about that, but they have a new feature that starts playing random videos after your current one finishes.

It's not related to playlists or anything either. It just starts playing videos it thinks are related with no warning or consent.

yeah youtube or liveleak are the only 2 i'd expect to play a vid upon clicking a link

(I haven't had a problem with the yt auto-play-related randomly coming back on when set to off with my laptop, work laptop or work desktop, pissed me right off when that 1st came around tho)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 13, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

chrome://chrome/settings/content

scroll to plugins

let me choose to run plugin content

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

loving newb

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Khorne posted:

No warning? There's a pop up at the end of the video telling you it's about to switch to the new video and to hit cancel to stop it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Someone should make an extension that warns you if the site you're clicking on has an auto-playing video, much like how it warns us about malware.

• Locked thread