Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Street Fighter V (ストリートファイターV Sutorīto Faitā Faibu?) is an upcoming fighting video game in development by Capcom for PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows. It employs the same 2D gameplay from its previous entry. The game is set to be released in early 2016, probably March.

Street Fighter V carries on the side-scrolling fighting gameplay of its predecessors, in which two fighters use a variety of attacks and special abilities to knock out their opponent. The game features the EX gauge introduced in Street Fighter IV, which builds as the player lands attacks and can be used to either power up special moves or perform super combos known as Critical Arts, although the Focus Attacks of the last game have been removed. New to this game is the "V-Gauge", which builds as the player receives attacks and adds three new techniques; V-Skills, V-Reversals, and V-Triggers. V-Skills are special attacks unique to each fighter; for example, Ryu can parry an attack while M. Bison can reflect projectiles, some of which build V-Gauge when successfully performed. V-Reversals allow players to use a section of the V-Gauge to perform a counter move whilst being attacked. Finally, V-Triggers use the entire V-Gauge to allow the player to perform a unique ability, such as a temporary damage boost for Ryu or added hits to Chun-Li's attacks. Aditionally, the game features a Guard Break gauge which depletes while blocking attacks and will cause the fighter to become temporarily stunned when completely depleted. The game also features interactive arenas, showcasing special animations when a player is defeated in a certain part of the arena

Street Fighter V was unofficially revealed through a YouTube video on December 5, 2014, which was promptly taken down. It was officially revealed the next day during the 2014 PlayStation Experience in Las Vegas and was announced as being developed exclusively for the PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows.The game will be based on Unreal Engine 4 and will feature cross-platform gameplay.] Capcom will offer a beta program for players in North America that preorder the game at a date to be determined.

CHARACTERS SO FAR.

Ryu

Third Strike fans rejoice! Parrying is back...if you play Ryu. Parrying is Ryu’s V-Skill and he can parry seemingly anything from projectiles to multi-hitting EX moves. Jury is still out on whether they can be used to against Critical Arts. Each successful parry gives Ryu added frame advantage to retaliate with, in addition to building his V Gauge.Like the parry of old, you don't take a lick of damage if you succeed, and the timing is a little on the tight side, though still very usable.

Ryu’s V-Trigger is Denjin Mode, and it empowers his fireballs and dragon punches with more damage, and stun. Fireballs are particularly juiced, as they can be charged, knocking down and causing massive stun damage on hit, and guard breaking on block. The guard break effect lasts long enough for a properly positioned player to move in and start a combo. What's more, Ryu's Critical Art, Shinkuu Hadoken, becomes Denjin Hadoken in V-Trigger, forcing guard break without having to hold the input and charge. Nasty.

Especially for Third Strike fans, Ryu will feel very familiar in Street Fighter 5 because of the parry and the denjin shenanigans. His walk speed is a hair slower than in SF4, but then, nearly everybody's is. Low forward is still a dominant footsie tool, and with focus attack out of the game, fewer characters will have easy answers for it.

In fact, Ryu benefits a lot from that change, as it will force many characters back into the old ways of dealing with fireballs: blocking, neutral jumping, or jumping forward into a Dragon Punch. His damage is quite solid too. with the ability to link stand strong into itself fairly easily.

Chun-Li

Chun’s V-Skill is a command jump called rankyaku. It’s a low to the ground air dash that allows her to come at opponents from a very aggressive arial angle, potentially crossing them up with her signature heel stomps. Rankyaku hits and floats on the way up too, building V-gauge and allowing for some neat juggle opportunities.It can be used as a sort of "soft" anti-air for people jumping in from long distance, but for the most part, this is a gap closer and pressure tool. Think of it like a canned instant air dash.

With Chun Li’s V-Trigger, Renkiko, her pressure becomes insane, as it adds multiple hits to each of her normal attacks. Damage and stun add up REAL fast if she hits you. You can also throw doubled up versions of some of her supers in this mode, though not repeatedly like the stage demo with Daigo playing from a few months ago. Kikoken spam is not going to be a thing.

Chun is still a whirlwind of legs and feet. Her normals are Street Fighter 3-levels of good, wakeup EX spinning bird kick is still a great option, but her biggest change is that lightning legs is now a quarter circle instead of a button mash, and she can use it in mid-air too! This allows her to use it more readily and aggressively. The same applies to her Critical Art as well, so prepare for the return of low forward into super!

Of the four characters we've seen, Chun's footsie game is dominant from about any range. She doesn't seem to have a bad button, and her walk speed is way faster than the other three slowpokes. My only concern is that with her V-Skill only generating meter if used at point blank range where it registers a hit, in an even fight she'll always have V-Trigger later in the round than her opponent. Still, it's so potentially strong when she gets it, perhaps that's by design?

Charlie Nash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JT-IvFkUhA

Nash’s V-Skill, Bullet Clear, allows him to absorb projectiles and add their energy to his V-Gauge. It has for more active frames than Ryu's parry, so it's a lot easier to use in this way. He can use it as a poke too when close enough to his opponent, and it'll still build V-Gauge. It's actually a decent poke too!

Nash’s V-Trigger, Sonic Move, is a teleport that can be cancelled into from some of Nash’s specials, including his Sonic Boom. He can teleport to one of three locations relative to his opponent's position depending on the direction you press with the input: behind them on the ground, behind them in mid-air, or in front of them in mid-air. In this way, Nash can escape a bad situation, mix up his opponent, or quickly close on, and punish projectile throwers.

The fact that he can cancel certain specials with it also makes some particularly nasty, high-damage combos possible, particularly if you have EX meter to spend. That said, he can only teleport once, making his V-Trigger something you commit to when you see the right opportunity. Thankfully, he builds V-Gauge pretty rapidly, so you'll probably get to use it couple of times per round anyway.

Nash is now the absolute farthest thing from a Guile clone. His Sonic Move, and various specials that aggressively move him forward make him an in your face character. Sonic Boom is no longer a charge move, but a quarter circle, so he can keep walking forward and still have all of his options. As ever, a slow Boom gives him firm control of the interactions immediately after.

As for his flash kick...he kinda doesn’t have one. He has a move called Sonic Scythe which is basically a spinning kick that moves him forward on the ground, but the roundhouse version behaves like a very low altitude flash kick. It's so slow and short range though, so you have to be REALLY predictive with it to use it as an anti-air. Really, his only reliable anti-air is the ex version, which does look a lot like his double Flash Kick from the Alpha series.

Oh, and it's worth mentioning his Critical Art, which is projectile invulnerable and looks incredibly badass, as he teleports behind his opponent, wrapping the entire stage in darkness as he warps away. Somewhat less badass is that it seems to have no hit invulnerability, as Ryu was able to stuff it with a jab on reaction.

M. Bison/Dictator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPou9RzeKM

Bison’s V-Skill, Psycho Reflect, is very similar to Nash’s with the added option of holding the V-Skill input to send a powerful projectile back at your opponent. He can't use it like a poke as Nash can, but the ability to return-to-sender is a huge boon, especially as the projectile it creates hits twice, overpowering standard projectiles if your opponent happens to throw a second one immediately after you catch the first.

Bison’s V-Trigger, Psycho Power takes the longest to build, but it lasts seemingly forever, and is completely nuts in terms of what it does for him. All of his dashes become teleports, allowing him to advance on, and cross up opponents rapidly at will. His special moves all get buffed too, like his Devil's Reverse, which allows him to teleport behind opponents from mid air. He basically turns into Omega Bison for the remainder of the round.

Aside from his new tool set, and a slide that now causes a juggle state on counter hit, the biggest change to Bison is what ISN’T there...his iconic Psycho Crusher. This is the first time since Street Fighter alpha that he hasn’t had it as a special, though it does show up during his Critical Art.

Bison's footsie game has, regrettably, taken a huge hit. Stand forward doesn't have nearly the presence it has in SF4, and stand roundhouse is a different move altogether. Coupled with his atrocious walk speed, he gets poked to death by the other three, especially Chun. That said, you just can't throw projectiles at him, because you're just feeding him V-Gauge, and that's not something you want to do, trust me. Outside of V-Trigger, he feels a bit tame, but once he has it, he's a terror.

System Changes

So now that we have the big, obvious stuff out of the way, let's talk about the many subtle,and not-so-subtle changes and additions in Street Fighter 5.

Throws have a wiff animation - This means two things: One, failed throw attempts leave you open to attack. Two, there is no more option select crouch tech, it just results in a failed throw and a bad situation!
Backdashes don't have any hit invulnerability - They do have throw invulnerability though. Still, this makes wakeup backdash pretty much a non-option. Gone are the days where you can backdash to safety for free.
Crush Counters - This is a new mechanic. Some moves, when they hit on counterhit, will cause a unique stun state that will allow for normally impossible follow-ups, kinda like Fatals in BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena.
There are no Ultra Combos - Critical Arts, which behave like supers from SF4 in every way, are the only flashy, high damage moves in the game. Ultras are completely gone, there is nothing remotely similar to them.
Normals deal chip damage - Normals deal temporary chip damage when blocked. If you take a hit before this temporary damage heals, it becomes permanent. This is not a game for turtles!
Stun Gauge is back - Stun has been in most Street Fighter games, but only Third Strike made stun progress visible. SF5 does too, encouraging offensive players to "ride their kill" when they see they're close to stunning.
Target combos are more prevalent - Like in Third Strike, Target Combos are more prevalent in Street Fighter 5. Links are still the primary combo method, but Target Combos seem good enough to be usable in some cases.
Higher overall damage - Not Tekken or Marvel vs. Capcom 3 high, but this is a more dangerous game than SF4. Eating a fierce Dragon Punch hurts enough that you won't want to jump too much, and loose hits add up fast.
Bigger discrepancies in walk speed - While Chun is about as spritely as you'd expect, Ryu is a step slower than usual, and Nash and Bison are plain mired in mud. This may lead to some characters dominating the footsie game.
No Focus mechanic - Focus is out. You'll have to deal with projectiles the old fashioned way, and strong, single-hit pokes can no longer be swept away with a universal mechanic. This places a premium on old-school Street Fighter fundamentals.
Hard knockdowns are rare - I didn't test this exhaustively, but a Capcom employee told me that only throws and Critical Arts cause hard knockdowns. Wakeup times are faster in general, so you'll have to adjust your okizemi game accordingly.

Videos!
Announcement Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfmP1JKjriU

Battle System Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTKGSulT2pU
Breakdown of new mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEQpgsXSoKo
Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB9dIfEwwG8
Ryu vs Bison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTas1o3gz5Y
Chun Li vs Nash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiIfrCNNhxM

more characters/stages/bullshit to come! Hopefully we get more info at E3, word is that two more characters were revealed during the pre-e3 event.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

this is reserved for bitching about walkspeed/the fact that there has been no announcements about Virtua Fighter 6 and never will be

edit: also (Japanese Dessert)

If you are new to fighting games, or you just plain suck then seriously watch this. It is an excellent primer on SFV and Street Fighter in general
There's awesome info on what to train on, how to practice combos, how to play footsies,and Xavier Woods is rad to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP2DX0iyHIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqBmscmdJc

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 29, 2015

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
SFV is an exciting new take on what some would call a "tired" genre. The new features in this game will directly combat the "problem mechanics" of the traditional fighting game model like tick throws, links, zoning, footsies, and having to memorize enormous move lists and tonnes of combos. The masters making this game at Dimps have created dozens of fighting games from Dragon Ball Z Budokai to Street Fighter 4 to Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse and they have their sights set on innovating a new way to play fighting games. Really pumped!

Zand fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 12, 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't realize that all normals do (sort of) chip damage and thought that was a property of Chun's v-trigger. Interesting.

After the latest round of gameplay videos, I've shifted from "absolutely will suck" to "probably will suck, but a good game is not impossible". It's just enough to have me actually hyped for the E3 streams.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I'll play this game and be better at it than all of you.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Did you guys notice that the walk speeds are still really loving slow

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Looks lovely, will probably be lovely, but everyone and their dog is going to be playing it which means I'll inevitably be roped into it too.

I'm just wondering what grapplers are going to be like now with these new mechanics. What advantages will Hugo get from V-Trigger?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Looks a lot like IV, which is I guess not a bad thing but you would have thought things had been improved since then.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I am actually really surprised that they have been working on improving the pace of the game. I really was expecting them to not give a gently caress about what anyone said.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Maybe it's just me, but SFV is saying to me "Hi, I'm an Unreal Engine game that hasn't finished loading its textures yet."

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Can we speculate on who the next character reveal will be?

I think Ken is going to be replaced with a better-trained Sean, just to mix things up a bit. Also this fuckin game better have at least one Final Fight character or I'm not buying it.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/11/e3-2015-everything-you-need-to-know-about-street-fighter-5

IGN posted raw gameplay footage.

Once again Hideki Okugawa is nowhere to be found and SF5 will have another completely loving abysmal soundtrack. Thanks Capcom.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Cabbagepots posted:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/11/e3-2015-everything-you-need-to-know-about-street-fighter-5

IGN posted raw gameplay footage.

Once again Hideki Okugawa is nowhere to be found and SF5 will have another completely loving abysmal soundtrack. Thanks Capcom.

SF5 will suck because there isn't a stage with a 100 foot tall Felicia destroying a city nya~~
- Cabbagepots 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Junk posted:

Can we speculate on who the next character reveal will be?

I think Ken is going to be replaced with a better-trained Sean, just to mix things up a bit. Also this fuckin game better have at least one Final Fight character or I'm not buying it.

I'm guessing it's going to be a fan favorite that was absent from SF4, so that puts Q, Alex, Karin, and Rainbow Mika as my most likely picks. Karin below the rest, since there's copyright issues with her.

e: Urien too

inthesto fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 12, 2015

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Junk posted:

SF5 will suck because there isn't a stage with a 100 foot tall Felicia destroying a city nya~~
- Cabbagepots 2015

Well yeah, every game could be improved by adding that, but that goes without saying.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

My bet is for Alex or Eagle.

I really hope it's Eagle.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

inthesto posted:

I'm guessing it's going to be a fan favorite that was absent from SF4, so that puts Q, Alex, Karin, and Rainbow Mika as my most likely picks. Karin below the rest, since there's copyright issues with her.

e: Urien too

I'd be pretty drat surprised to see Q in this game. Surprised and delighted.

But yeah, Alex sounds pretty plausible too.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
They teased Alex since the half-pipe stage in SFXT/USF4, he's guaranteed to be in.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Give me Birdie.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
One thing they should do is have Smash Bros.-style unlockable content, like collectible in-game statues and CDs of music from previous Street Fighter games that you can set to play with whatever conditions you want.

Encountered a Bison player online? Want to hear his Super Turbo theme every time you face him and not ever hear his SF4 theme? You can set how frequently you want his different theme song versions to appear.

They should do fun little things like that to entice the core fans, instead it just seems like they're doing the same thing they've always done which is barebones single player and multiplayer with no additional content outside of it.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I actually think the system changes sound pretty good, but seriously turn the walk speed up what the gently caress.

Also, needs Skullomania.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I get Bison being slow since they want to emphasize his gimmick but I think everyone else could really use a touch more walk speed maybe.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cabbagepots posted:

One thing they should do is have Smash Bros.-style unlockable content, like collectible in-game statues and CDs of music from previous Street Fighter games that you can set to play with whatever conditions you want.

Encountered a Bison player online? Want to hear his Super Turbo theme every time you face him and not ever hear his SF4 theme? You can set how frequently you want his different theme song versions to appear.

They should do fun little things like that to entice the core fans, instead it just seems like they're doing the same thing they've always done which is barebones single player and multiplayer with no additional content outside of it.

Watch them do this but make it paid DLC

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Junk posted:

I'd be pretty drat surprised to see Q in this game. Surprised and delighted.

But yeah, Alex sounds pretty plausible too.

Q always had the underdog factor going for him, and Kuroda alone generated a lot of fans for the character. He's also a super unique design that's just a little off the wall but not too much. I agree that Alex is the most like out of the "left out of SF4" list, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Q.

InnercityGriot posted:

I actually think the system changes sound pretty good, but seriously turn the walk speed up what the gently caress.

Also, needs Skullomania.

Sadly, Capcom does not own the rights to the SFEX characters, because everyone loves Skullomania.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

inthesto posted:

Q always had the underdog factor going for him, and Kuroda alone generated a lot of fans for the character. He's also a super unique design that's just a little off the wall but not too much. I agree that Alex is the most like out of the "left out of SF4" list, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Q.

I'm not saying he's a disliked character, I'm going by what Ono & whats-his-face said during the lead-up to SFxT, something to the tune of "Q isn't coming back so please quit asking us" so it sounds like the producers just don't like him or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you want to play character roster theory then you should look at the results of Capcom's Street Fighter character popularity polls. They polled USA and Japan to varying results, and I'm laughing my rear end off at Rufus being the lowest ranking active Street Fighter.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

My bet is for Alex or Eagle.

I really hope it's Eagle.

Eagle would be cool, because escrima is cool. Also, it would be a progressive choice on Capcpom's part because Eagle wears an ascot.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Policenaut posted:

If you want to play character roster theory then you should look at the results of Capcom's Street Fighter character popularity polls. They polled USA and Japan to varying results, and I'm laughing my rear end off at Rufus being the lowest ranking active Street Fighter.

Remember in 2011 when Capcom announced Rufus' inclusion in SFxT during a presentation and everyone in the audience started booing them.

EDIT: I'm changing my vote to Maki.

Junk fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 12, 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Karin being #1 in Japan :laffo:

And hey, like I thought, Q and Alex are both fairly popular.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

so V-skill I am a big fan on. Although I still do have nightmares of custom combos ala CvS2 and Alpha 3. But still, I do love how every character does have their own V-skill. Ryu has his parry, Chun has a pretty quick jump, Nash has a fireball absorb, and M.Bison has a fireball reflect. The Ryu one is pretty sick, 3rd strike was one of my favorite games so that’s that. The other ones I'm like okay on. I'm really excited to see how they're going to incorporate other character's own uniqueness. I THINK ITS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THERE ARE NO MORE FOCUS ATTACKS. I love this, I think focus attacks really took away from footsies in SF4, so now people have to play footsies. They have to know their spacing and not get away with one hit and then backdash. OOOH ALSO. I might as well say how I feel about that. NO INVINCIBLE FRAMES ON BACKDASH. Like, Capcom took all the signs and loving knew it. I think this game is going to promote good play. Especially with no crouch teching, as a Rufus player couch techs would blow me the gently caress up in SF4.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo why is Ingrid so popular?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AndyElusive posted:

Take a look at the overall vote numbers for the English poll versus the Japanese poll. The demographics for the Japanese poll were probably much narrower, which leads me to believe the proportion of voters who unironically like magical anime girls in their fighting games is much higher.

Also, Capcom Fighting Jam probably had more popularity in Japan than anywhere else, though that's not a high bar to clear.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh gently caress, oh god please don't be Ingrid.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

SlippyFists posted:

Give me Birdie.

You are the only one who gets it.

SF5 needs to be an era of murderer chain.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

It was possible to vote several times and guess what kind of person would do that.

I think we will get Karin, but not in a schoolgirl outfit(some years passed, right?), announced at TGS. Maybe 2 from every non-SF2 game? Karin+Nash from alpha, Alex+?(maybe Oro) from 3, Juri+Abel from 4? Probably wrong about alpha/3 characters, but I don't see any other characters from SF4 returning. Even though I really liked Gouken.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Charlie has a Genocide Cutter.

SNK VS SFV confirmed?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Keep in mind that Karin does not belong to Capcom, so they'd have to negotiate with the guy who created her in order to get her into SF5, which does lower her chances quite a bit.

It's the same reason why Strider wasn't originally in MvC3. Except that Karin was actually created by somebody else. The reason why Strider doesn't belong to Capcom is because they royally hosed up the contract when they commissioned a guy to make a comic to market the release of the original Strider game.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

I am going to play and enjoy Street Fighter V.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where's Necro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Is Karin in this game yet? If not then cya.

• Locked thread