Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Le Saboteur posted:

From watching Cain/JDS I, I just learned JDS is two years younger than Cain but he looks like an old rear end man.

I thought he looked youthful again in that recent Ariel interview. I think the roughly 2 years off has done him some good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Orlando Sanchez is an accurate representation of what Mighty Mouse would look like if he went on the Matt Serra diet.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That's what I expect. Dodson is the deserving contender but he admitted he didn't push for the finish in his last fight with Makovsky cause apparently they've been friends for years. Could be an excuse for a lackluster performance but since he's knocked out everyone else who isn't Mighty Mouse or Makovsky I'll believe him. Could also have been the ring rust coming off the injury too.

So yeah if Cejudo does something cool tonight he's on a 3 UFC fight win streak, a name DJ hasn't fought yet, undefeated, and an Olympic gold medalist. Added that he has a good personality and it's an easy fight to sell. A sellable fight that nobody will buy regardless of who was in there. The only opponents that would make any kind of PPV difference for DJ is if he moved up and fought TJ/Cruz/Barao/Faber.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

palmkernel posted:

I know it's not going to happen, but I hope Werdum beats Cain. It would be great to have a more active HW champion.

more active Heavyweights don't exist. Even if you had a champion who fought more than once a year it wouldn't matter because then the #1 contender would be out with an injury and the match would be delayed anyways. Heavyweights as a division are slow injury-prone PED users.

The best you're gonna get is if Stipe Miocic becomes champion and fights himself twice a year.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC 188 off to a legendary start

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

Trevino is real bad

and yet just good enough to not get caught in the dozen submissions that Case is throwing at him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

hey that was a cool thing that happened

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

EmmyOk posted:

If Cejudo gets his title shot off this over Dodson then no one can complain about the McGregor shot again. Not that I have a problem with either

Both are similar. Aldo has beaten like.. 6 of the top 10 ranked opponents and Mighty Mouse has beaten like 8 out of 10? When you've cleaned out the division you get to fight guys with weaker roads to the title. Dodson and Benavidez aren't any different than Frankie and Mendes . Lost to the champ already but better than the rest of the division. So it isn't crazy to put guys like Conor and Cejudo in there, especially in Conor's case when he's an upcoming superstar of the sport.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

well, bring on the 3rd Benavidez match

I wouldn't write off Cejudo yet since he still hasn't had his 10th pro bout yet and he's been taking MMA seriously for like 3 years now?

But he clearly needs a few more fights in before fighting for the title

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

EmmyOk posted:

I do not understand it, but I am a new fan AKA sub-human scum.

Joe Rogan used to have hair and a slightly smaller head. So it used to look like an ordinary guy yelling at a bald man. Joe Rogan took a bunch of HGH and now looks like a shorter bulkier Dana White. The two of them yell at each other before every PPV to hype up viewers into purchasing the card. Too much enthusiasm, too much balding, too much shouting, not enough time

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

This is, unsurprisingly, bad

i'm doing an experiment where I'm just passively listening to the audio and ignoring the video entirely and I can already tell it's a bad fight because I haven't heard the crowd do anything in 10 minutes and I hear no urgency in Joe's voice when doing color

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

hahahaha Joe finally telling it like it is. has he ever said "the most boring thing to happen in MMA"? In all the years I've been watching I don't remember. He almost always tries to defend it as being a battle fans won't like/isn't the most exciting/etc. but it's still a war going on!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I love WMMA but how the gently caress is this a main card fight?

The arena was going to sellout with just Cain vs Werdum, the rest wasn't necessary. And as far as PPV goes, it's mostly the same but they put a few more decent fights on it with Jillbear vs Eddie and Nate Marquardt vs Kelvin. For FOX they only need to promote some TUF fights and future contenders, in walks Cejudo and Escudero.

So too long didn't read they have no incentive to put anything decent in the first 2 slots of the PPV. At this rate though they would have been better off just showing highlights from Werdum and Cain's career and talk up the main event for 15 minutes.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC should do Weidman vs Rockhold right now on this card while both guys are healthy and under the same roof. Or don't and watch it get delayed 2 times due to injury, whatever works for UFC I guess

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

lotta cool poo poo happening in this match

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yair gonna get a big Reebok sponsorship

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Marquardt is gonna get knocked out

I hope so. Kelvin has a whole career ahead of him and Marquardt has like... I dunno, a match with CB Dollaway in his future or something.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

gastelum is cool

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

does Dan Mirgliotta have a grudge against Marquardt?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

That loving promo gave me goosebumps

same. might be my favorite they've ever done.

Silva/Sonnen 2 was pretty good though. The "decade of dominance" one, but this one tells a stronger narrative and shows the clash of personalities better.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

this fight is good so far, but not so good that a goon doesn't have to suck his own dick in 10 minutes

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

This Mexico City crowd has been loving terrible tonight

to be fair they'll be going ape poo poo for the main event with any success from Cain.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

This card blows

it's had some bad fights but there have been a few worth watching. The two standing guillotine chokes on the prelims were great and Rosa vs Rodriguez was sweet. I thought Kelvin looked good even if Marquardt wasn't much of a game opponent and I can respect Alvarez fighting back after Gilbert hosed his face up in round 1.

As long as Cain vs Werdum is good I'll be fine with spending my evening watching this card.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

You know, Gilbert's contract is on track to be a worse grab for UFC than Overeem's.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

So Cain breaks the heavyweight title defense records if he wins tonight, right?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Before this gets going I would just like to pay my respects to the great line I think fatherdog had, "GSP has fought more recently than Cain!"

RIP

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

was Werdum's friendly pointing out the cut on Cain's eye or was he talking poo poo like "look what I did"

It could go either way

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

if Werdum has a good tank he could pull this one out

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

JUNIOR DOS SANTOS COULD BE CHAMPION AGAIN

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

this is loving crazy. But I'm not totally surprised either

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT CAIN

FOR JUNIOR

Dangersim posted:

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT CAIN

FOR JUNIOR

Dangersim posted:

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT CAIN

FOR JUNIOR

Dangersim posted:

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT CAIN

FOR JUNIOR

Dangersim posted:

HOW DO YOU LIKE IT CAIN

FOR JUNIOR

Seriously. This is a lovely thing to say but part of me is happy Cain is going through this so next time Junior won't be the only guy with a hundred concussions.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

lmao.

I mean, we know that record's never gonna be broken

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

JuanGoat posted:

What the gently caress is Rafael Cordeiro teaching, goddamn

I mean drat, having two champions would already be some exemplary poo poo. But to have them happen within months from guys that were hyped up to be some of the best the division has ever seen... god drat

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Jack of Hearts posted:

He's submitted all the other contenders, what else could he do?

still has to beat Junior Dos Santos, who has roughly as strong of a body of work as Werdum at this point.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acUPBt9UKdI

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Who's better? Who?

The only people who have a shot are cain and fedor, and he beat both of them. I love JDS to death but your not the goat if someone can do what cain did to you

I agree and I hate to be a fedorpologist but you could argue that Fedor's career was coming to an end when Werdum subbed him. So you're looking at two different greats of their eras: Fedor was the best of his decade and Werdum is the best of the current one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I think it's cool that Fabricio Werdum's record is a lot like Dan Henderson's where you basically see everyone you'd need to know about from the division. Werdum is definitely in the conversation for greatest heavyweight ever, and maybe more impressive than that is he's continually fought the toughest guys for years. Like from Sergei in '05 to Cain in '15 there's only a few weak fights.

• Locked thread