Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645760

Just noticed this new teaser pop up in my Facebook feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZVUU3zbXk

I was a big fan of this show last year. It was weird, unsettling, and generally made my stomach turn and I loved it. Anyone else excited for this?

From the last thread, since I'm at work right now and can't write a good first post:

DivisionPost posted:

The Leftovers comes to us from Damon Lindelof (LOST), Tom Perrotta (author of Little Children, Election, and the book this is based on), and Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights). It picks up three years after a Rapture-like event known as "The Sudden Departure," wherein 2% of the world's population disappeared without warning or fanfare. There's no rhyme or reason to who left: Christians, Jews, Muslims, members of the Ba'lal Faith. Men, women, children. Saints, sinners -- it's like whoever or whatever took them just threw darts at the Earth while blindfolded and took whoever got caught.

The series picks up three years after The Departure. The world is still functioning. But science and the conventional organized religions have thrown their hands up in defeat, and a sense of nihilism has gripped the planet. The story zeroes in on the New York suburb of Mapleton, as its remaining inhabitants try to deal with the fact that they don't know what the gently caress happened.

All I know is that season two is a "post script" season since the original book was the basis for season one. Looks like there's somewhere on earth that didn't have any departures.

Fun pictures from last season's finale:

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

that trailer looks loving incredible

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, LOST really hosed a lot of people up

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
I like Perotta and Berg's track record but I refuse to watch anything Lindelof ruins any more.

Is this a classic, "we've a big mystery and good set up but absolutely no way to resolve this in any meaningful way" show?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Brimmy posted:

I like Perotta and Berg's track record but I refuse to watch anything Lindelof ruins any more.

lol

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I enjoyed the first season and i'll probably like this one. I also liked BSG all the way to the end, and prometheus. I haven't seen LOST. I'm probably who this show was meant for.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The first season was good and introduced me to Max Richter's music so I'm all in.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lost is good poo poo. I don't care what anyone says. It always held my attention.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

As with everything Lindelof, strong premise, weak payoff. Carrie Coons and Anne Dowd were great. Otherwise, the cast
had no one to root for. Terrible things happening to terrible people.

Moving the cast/story to another location reeks of desperation (and possible budget cuts). If they rebooted the cast like True Detective,
then that would be interesting.

I can't type enough words about how terrible and disappointing this show is, so I'll stop now.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I half liked the first season it gave huge emotional wins to people like that woman who's family app disappeared. On the other hand most of the time it was just bleak and brutalising stuff.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I thought the show was brilliant and I can't wait for this one. Its peak Lindelof, but he owns so I'm more than happy with that.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
Liv Tyler: A Great Actress

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I honestly fast-forwarded through some of the more depressing episodes. The priest and insurance investigator episodes were the best.

Kinda hoping that the hot Teen Wolf twins are back.

Otherwise, time for more Debbie Downer tv.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

I honestly fast-forwarded through some of the more depressing episodes. The priest and insurance investigator episodes were the best.

Kinda hoping that the hot Teen Wolf twins are back.

Otherwise, time for more Debbie Downer tv.

All indications point towards Season 2 having none of the actually good characters from Season 1.

Dog Man is no longer with the show, and he was killed off of 12 Monkeys with very little attention paid to his death.

Dog Man was the best part of Season 1, he was so goddamn surreal.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

Liv Tyler: A Great Actress

:stonk: I forgot she was in this show. Hopefully there isn't much of her this season.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

In the books her character shot herself in the head. We didn't even get that last season.

gently caress that was a terrible character. Like half this show was poo poo and the other half was okay.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've seen LOST. I didn't like LOST's ending. I did like BSG's ending. I thought the leftovers was one of the best new shows last year. I'm a confused individual.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Carrie Coon is the best

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I loving liked it. Had it's ups and downs but kept me enthralled through the whole thing. Will binge re-watch it before this season airs. Yeah it's pretty bleak, but loving hell, most of the best series on TV now are pretty bleak (Hannibal, GoT).

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Looking forward to Season 2.

The Season 2 thread? Eh not so much.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
full season 2 trailer is out

http://bcove.me/8or5af3c

More weird, more dogs, more Patti?

It's a shame the show didn't seem to catch on as much. I've brought it up to a lot of people who had no idea it existed.

I enjoyed season 1 because it had an unsettling atmosphere that just built and built and the horror of it was subtle. Season 2 looks like it's going to be similar. I'm onboard.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Very excited for Season 2. This was a slow burn for sure, but in a good way.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I for one am really looking forward to this, as they have worked the premise well.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Just a friendly reminder that whatever happened, it affected Shaq, The Pope and Garey loving Busey

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Lindelof is an absolute fucker, but I liked the first season so I'll check out 2

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If anyone is in the mood to listen to a nice quiet piano album, I highly recommend the soundtrack for the first season. It's really quite good.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey wow I finished the first season and this show is real loving good. Hot drat that's some emotional potency.

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015
I heard the daughter's friend, played by Emily Meade isn't going to be on this season. We'll never really know if she and the dad hosed

Also RIP Bronson Pinchot who was also apparently taken away from that universe...

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I love the show, and even if you don't you gotta admit Justin Theroux is mad cool

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Vanderdeath posted:

The first season was good and introduced me to Max Richter's music so I'm all in.

I liked the music but not necessarily how they used it. A family could sit be sitting down at the table, smiling and carrying on and loving sad piano music out of nowhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that theme song.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I was wondering if there was a thread for this. First 10 minutes including the new opening caught me super off guard, but after rewatching the finale just now I trust the show to bring it back around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Eddie Winslow!

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
Ahhahahahaha dammit.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Is HBO now choppy for anyone else? Keeps freezing. Very annoying.

El Ste
Aug 22, 2010

I haven't got a clue what is happening.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Same here. Add to that the loving video freezing every few minutes which is killing my ability to even get into it.

I am so sick of HBO not knowing how to scale. Every goddamn premier has this poo poo.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Hated the theme sing but the new intro is really cool. Thought the episode set up a lot of nice "what the hell" stuff, and I thought it was interesting the Garvey's didn't show up till the last fifteen.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It looks like there is a little mini-mystery involving the Garveys' first day in town and what really went down.

I'm less enthused about the possibility of more supernatural stuff happening. I prefer there being one central unexplainable Thing with a bunch of people just damaged by it and trying their best to cope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
gently caress this. You can't get into a show that freezes literally every minute.

I guess I'll watch another day.

Hope the episode is good. Seems like it's playing up the "lol u do t know what's going on" schtick.

• Locked thread