Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

i mean, yeah. like, the HBO of now gave Treme- treme - four loving seasons. a show that nobody gave a gently caress about.

Holy poo poo those are some poor numbers. Like the series premiere broke a million then it tanked to below what Leftovers is doing and never really recovered outside of the rare spike.

Yeah that makes me a lot less worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

John from Cincinnati is what this show is trying to be only Lindelof is no David Milch

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hotcop is the center of the departures.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What the hell is up with John Murphy? There's a lot going on with that dude and I can't wait to see what happens with him. The scene with him holding the pie on the porch as Kevin and family arrived at their new house felt suspicious, almost as if he was expecting them.

Also, I noticed that Reza Aslan, the religious scholar, is a consulting producer. I can't stand the dude but it's interesting that he's involved.

And Carrie Coon is adorable and awesome.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

i mean, yeah. like, the HBO of now gave Treme- treme - four loving seasons. a show that nobody gave a gently caress about.

I gave a gently caress. :saddowns:

Ero
Jun 18, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With regards to that 'no death' thing, doesn't that not work because of the goat slaughter? Didn't someone already mention this?

As already mentioned I think it's the same goat and this guy kills it in the same fashion from time to time, especially given the non - reaction of the other patrons in the restaurant. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the upcoming episodes shows the bird in a box flying into a window or something.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Still doesn't explain all the dead fish with that one flipping fish.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boon posted:

Still doesn't explain all the dead fish with that one flipping fish.

Or, just spitballing here, it could be some sort of geography thing?

Those Harvard dudes are probably wrong about the disappearances being linked to ley-lines or magical locations or whatever the gently caress they're thinking, but maybe there are locations in Miracle where the health of a human being can be affected. So the goat thing is effectively a kind of diving rod. Goat dies here, no sell. Goat doesn't die here, magic magic.

That would explain why the fish and goats died, but also why the bird didn't -- it was a test of the location, and not the bird itself.

It also adds to the theory as to why Christopher Eccelston's so invested in stating in that lovely shack. He thinks that staying there -- or staying in the town generally -- is going to cure his wife. And that's what everyone's trying to shush him about.

(I mean, also, they just upped her to a regular this season. No way they hired Donna from The West Wing just to have her sit in a chair for two years straight.)

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Toxxupation posted:

the hbo of 2007 is not the hbo of 2015. also john from cincinnati sucked and reviewed poorly. they cancelled it for many reasons, the least of which was ratings. nobody loving liked it

or the hbo of 2005

ratings have very little meaning in today's modern landscape, especially on premium cable that does not care, at all, period, about viewer numbers. HBO likes to wave around the fact that GOT gets 6 million viewers a night but that's all gloating. that's literally all it is. it's gloating.

what HBO cares about is 1) subscriber numbers (they get a huge boost during the months that GOT airs) and 2) merchandise, especially DVD, sales (which GOT does incredibly well at). that's how their money is made. to increase their subscriber numbers HBO does a lot of vanity/ "prestige" projects (their motto is "It's not TV, it's HBO." for a reason) to make their slate of programming more attractive to outsiders looking to subscribe. it's why they do HBO original movies, and why they do stuff like Show Me a Hero, a biographical miniseries that loving nobody watched that aired earlier this summer. they care more about whether or not something is on-brand and critically acclaimed (especially if it gets emmy recognition) than what viewers it pulls down, tbh

but yeah, HBO now is not the HBO of 2005, which did put undue weight on shows performing with the viewing audience and subsequently ended up canning low-performing shows like Deadwood and Carnivale etc. but even that was an unusual case where HBO had a ton of critically acclaimed and overperforming programming airing at the same time like SFU and The Sopranos and Entourage, and they already had a pity "prestige" (weird to say that, since The Sopranos and SFU were hugely prestigious) program in The Wire. this combined with the fact that Deadwood and Rome were two of the most expensive productions HBO ever underwrote means it made a modicum of sense to cancel them, especially in the latter's case when the BBC pulled out and HBO was left holding the bag on a literally 100 million dollar a year program

and even all that said HBO's head of programming has been on the record since then saying that cancelling Deadwood/Carnivale/etc during the mid-2000s was a mistake. an outright, flat mistake that HBO made

Is there a standing o smiley?

:applause:
:perfect:

Absolutely and thoroughly an informative post. It's also a formula being followed by Netflix, Hulu to a point, and even Amazon Prime.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Show is good.

Sorry you don't get an answer neatly wrapped up and spoon fed to you each episode :shrug:

Something something :lost: joke

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

kloa posted:

Show is good.

Sorry you don't get an answer neatly wrapped up and spoon fed to you each episode :shrug:

spoil that poo poo man

gently caress

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

kloa posted:

Show is good.

So I was out Sunday and just watching episode 2.

It's hilarious that one of the key complaints about LOST was "nobody tells anyone important information!" and in the first 5 minutes of episode 2 you have the characters sharing their most hosed up secrets.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wiggly posted:

There you go, giving a gently caress with ain't your turn to give a gently caress.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

pahuyuth posted:

What the hell is up with John Murphy? There's a lot going on with that dude and I can't wait to see what happens with him. The scene with him holding the pie on the porch as Kevin and family arrived at their new house felt suspicious, almost as if he was expecting them.

Also, I noticed that Reza Aslan, the religious scholar, is a consulting producer. I can't stand the dude but it's interesting that he's involved.

And Carrie Coon is adorable and awesome.

Did you not watch the premiere or something? The whole pie thing is covered in multiple scenes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
guess I missed those parts

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

pahuyuth posted:

guess I missed those parts

Left on their doorstep. John was very skeptical of it. Gave it to the neighbors so they'd die instead. Then the birthday cake was ruined so Nora asked Kevin to retrieve the pie.

After that I don't know what happened with that pie. Maybe the pie made Eve and Kevin bug out.... doubt it though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Shadow posted:

Left on their doorstep. John was very skeptical of it. Gave it to the neighbors so they'd die instead. Then the birthday cake was ruined so Nora asked Kevin to retrieve the pie.

After that I don't know what happened with that pie. Maybe the pie made Eve and Kevin bug out.... doubt it though.

Well poo poo. I totally missed the fact that it was left on their doorstep. Thanks! Gonna watch both episodes again away because this is a Good Show.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
it really is a good show :)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
OK really digging Laurie's character this year.
:black101:

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Wiggly posted:

I too gave a gently caress. It hurts me to say this but I would trade a last season of Deadwood for Treme to be a fan favorite and get 5-7 seasons.

Its like Sophie's Choice but both kids get killed.

:Edit I am a horrible person.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 19, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toozler posted:

What the gently caress is this awful intro

Its great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

From last week's preview I was kind of let down, seeing the episode was about the GR but once again, this show did well.

I still NEED to know what the almighty gently caress is going on with Kevin's cement block, and Evie's disappearance, but this is a worthwhile distraction.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh please, Leftovers. Please no more Guilty Remnant. No no no.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
2015: the year that where is my mind got played entirely too much on tv

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Now that Judging Amy can finally talk, her character is pretty rad. I can't believe this show's become one of my favorites of the year in a scant three episodes. I really hope it can stay this good all the way through.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

That shot of the lady crying at the end really got to me. You can tell she absolutely believes what that guy was saying.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Watch tonight or save for tomororw?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Laurie ain't loving around! Another awesome episode. And Meg ain't loving around either.

drat they have not ratcheted down the intensity in this season for a second.

Also Chris Zylka deserves an Emmy for that final scene. What a great piece of acting and filmmaking.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 19, 2015

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
I'm glad this season doesn't have any of the weird teenage drama that season one did.

Verisimilidude posted:

That shot of the lady crying at the end really got to me. You can tell she absolutely believes what that guy was saying.

I don't remember Wayne telling the son that he could have the powers in season one. Was he just making that story up or did it really happen?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

funny way to spell posted:

I'm glad this season doesn't have any of the weird teenage drama that season one did.

I don't remember Wayne telling the son that he could have the powers in season one. Was he just making that story up or did it really happen?

Yes he was making it up. The scene before that where Tom and Laurie agree to give them something to believe in is them agreeing to restart the Holy Wayne religion essentially.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Le Saboteur posted:

Yes he was making it up. The scene before that where Tom and Laurie agree to give them something to believe in is them agreeing to restart the Holy Wayne religion essentially.

That doesn't mean it was made up. If he had these powers and just refused to use them, that also works and fits the "we're out of options here" narrative just as well. I'd personally lean towards made up but it's not ironclad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

warcrimes posted:

That doesn't mean it was made up. If he had these powers and just refused to use them, that also works and fits the "we're out of options here" narrative just as well. I'd personally lean towards made up but it's not ironclad.

He also said that Wayne hugged him, and I'm pretty sure he never did.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

warcrimes posted:

If you're not getting the whole 'it's made up, he's full of poo poo' idea, I don't know what to tell you; that's EXACTLY what's going on. If he really, truly did have those powers, do you think he would have almost faltered and gone back to the GR? Do you think he would have argued that 'they're right'?

EDIT: Also, if everything was 'ironclad', as you put it, there would be very little intrigue or mystery in the show. This is as ironclad as you're going to get aside from seeing a very, in my opinion, stupid scene with Laurie and her son literally saying 'ok, let's pretend you have Wayne's powers!'

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 19, 2015

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This is a really good show guys. I mean, it has always been, but it's even better now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

warcrimes posted:

It's made up. All of it is made up.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I think the show even made it very clear last season that Holy Wayne was completely made up too, so there's no power to be passed along.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
How did they turn a weird little show into a really good weird little show? drat.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How did they turn a weird little show into a really good weird little show? drat.

There's always a cost. And in this case it was the intro.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The new intro owns, intro haters can get the hell out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah the new intro is awesome in the way it contrasts with the whole tone of the rest of the show. It's like "look at this emotionally intense drama that happened last episode" then immediately into a jaunty song. Complainers know poo poo about juxtaposition.

• Locked thread