Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well my dog isnt dead for sure but my dumbfuck sister let him outside on july 4th without a leash. Haven't found him yet, been searching for 2 days. Ps, my sister is 33, she should know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Bicyclops posted:

On reconsideration, I'm actually wondering if this isn't referring to the hamster at all, and if Parahexavoctal died of misery a couple of years after mom invented Operation Desert Hamsters.

Most of our other pets lived very long and healthy lives, fortunately. Even the gerbil who escaped from his cage, and was then retrieved by the cat, lived 4-5 years after that. (Although he always had a limp, from that day forward.)

Rover was a black hooded rat. She'd been found unmoving on the sidewalk in the middle of summer by someone who thought she was dead; he picked her up to toss her in the garbage, and she twitched. So he did the right thing and brought her to the animal shelter.

My mom brought her home the next day. One of her top incisors was badly broken (Rover, not my mom). We did our best to take care of her, to pet her and groom her and give her lots of water and let her climb on toys and give her food that wasn't too hard but also not too soft.

But she was pretty old when we got her, and (as I understand it) a broken incisor is really not something rodents can recover from without extensive treatment. Plus, who knows what happened to her in the interval between (being someone's pet, which she had clearly been) and (being found half-dead on the sidewalk)?

Rover lived maybe three weeks after we got her; for the first two, she was pretty happy, but then became more and more wobbly and unsteady. We realized she was on her way out, so we sat with her, and held her, and talked to her, and told her she was a good girl, and she died while being gently patted and stroked. My mom was quite sad.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

drat most of the stuff in this thread falls into the category of 'sad but not ~that~ sad' for me but the poor rat you had for only 3 weeks hits a little harder than most for some reason.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My kid caught a roly poly just as it was releasing its babies. She put it in her bug box and all the babies crawled off.

Then we put a grape inside, and she shook the box, and all the babies got stuck in grape juice (rip)

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
I used to have a gerbil named Bucky Barnes when I was 11, I went to summer camp for 2 months and when I came back he was mummified to the side of his hutch. My Mum never fed him and he eventually just died of starvation, I cried and cried and my Mum blamed me for not taking care of it while I was gone. :wtc:
Never owned a rodent since. :smith:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Just get the soviets to help and give him a robot paw

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Some dumb as gently caress mothers itt

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Yatsuha posted:

I used to have a gerbil named Bucky Barnes when I was 11, I went to summer camp for 2 months and when I came back he was mummified to the side of his hutch. My Mum never fed him and he eventually just died of starvation, I cried and cried and my Mum blamed me for not taking care of it while I was gone. :wtc:
Never owned a rodent since. :smith:

You should call your mom and tell her how dumb she was.

That's just hosed up.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

They were only kind of my pets but my mom had an awesome freshwater tank filled with fantastic looking fish. My brother and I caught a bucket full of crawfish and dumped them into the tank, the crawfish murdered all the fish then escaped and died behind all the furniture.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Sounds like your mom mistook hamsters for camels or something.

I think there actually is some kind of rodent that gets its fluids from food. Gerbils? I don't remember.... Definitely not hamsters though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If your critter gets a lot of fresh veggies they're getting a lot of hydration from the water retained in their food. There's no way anything can get fluids from dry pellets though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I can almost buy the desert-hamsters story as well-meaning dumbness, but what kind of lovely parent blames a pet's death on a kid not taking care of it while the kid's at camp? Did she expect you to loving teleport in to feed the hamster, or had she just decided the inevitable death of the animal was going to be a Lesson in Responsibility(tm) even when that makes no sense at all?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Years ago I had a beautiful long haired Tabby cat. That cat was the most adorable cat ever. Extremely friendly towards any and all humans. Never bit or clawed anyone. He would walk around the house and a simple nod in his direction would have him running up to you. He loved to sleep on me when I was lying down on the couch.

One day I came back from a friend's place and decided to play with him. The way I always did. One of the thing I would do, would be to hold him tight against my body while lying on my side, and simply rotate to bring him on the other side of me. It never seemed to bother him and he would just stay in teh new position. That day in question, I did what I usually did, but with one exception. I did not hold him tight enough and did not fully support his weight.

I did my usual thing and immediately noticed something was wrong. His eyes went wide and he stiffened in a way I had never seen him do. A few seconds later, he started meowling really loudly in a way I had never heard him. It definitely sounded like he was hurt, and possibly hurt bad. It took me a few seconds to realise what I had done. I had just broken his back. Time just.. held still at that point. It took him maybe 2 or 3 minutes to die, but it seemed like an eternity. The whole time, he was meowling and it was clear that he was in extreme pain as it happened.

To this day, I have not yet forgiven myself for this. I loved that cat like no other and he was, for lack of a better term, a member of my family. I remember crying for hours that night and laying down on the floor with him the whole time. I later went to bury him at a friend's place who lives outside the city and has a forested backyard.

I've learnt a very very painful lesson on that day. Cats are more fragile than we think and carelessness kills.

:rip: Shaggy, I will always miss you.

MoonKremlin
May 6, 2015

Dalael posted:

:rip: Shaggy, I will always miss you.

:smithfrog:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noooooooooooo :smith:

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
My sisters got some hamsters and enjoyed watching them run around their tubes, in the hamster ball, etc. We had an old vacuum cleaner with an IN and OUT nozzle on the bucket, you could hook the hose into the blower. The hose was a little larger than the tubes the hamsters ran around in.

So naturally they wanted to "give it a fun ride", by loading the hamster into the vacuum hose (hooked to the OUT nozzle of the bucket) and launching it throuuuuuugh the air to a delicate landing on a pillow.

It lived three trips! Or it lived for one trip and it took two more for someone to notice. Brave little hamsternaut.
-----
When I was eight or so one of my jobs was mowing the lawn with a giant Honda riding mower. Once, mowing close to an outbuilding, I must've startled a nest (den?) of wild bunnies, because a baby bunny ran RIGHT OUT IN FRONT OF THE MOWER AND UNDER THE DECK i was pretty freaked out, but there wasn't a giant FWOMP noise, so..?

I turned and it had run out the other side! The deck was set pretty high, ~3" or so, and this was apparently enough room for the bunny to happily hop through without noticing.
-----
Years later my family moved to a farm, it was a Confined Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO), and one of my jobs was culling ZE INFERIOR SPECIMENS FROM ZE HERD. Well over ten thousand tiny souls have passed through my hands. I don't really feel guilt, because I was taught not to, but holy poo poo making kids kill animals is kinda hosed up, thanks dad. For a long time I was worried I'd turn out to be a serial killer or something awful.

Last year I worked six months as an animal control officer and the poo poo I saw people do to their pets, on purpose, completely wiped away any traces of guilt I may have had from managing food animals.

Welp, that's my stories!

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Another story: when I was a teen my father married a woman who had two massive greyhounds, who were like children to her or something, they were ancient but still pretty active.

Well, the cat (there was only one farm cat who wasn't semi feral and would actually let people near her) made the foul mistake of running across the dogs' fenced in area, they gave rapid chase and surprisingly caught her. And despite having whippet-like confusion over what to do with the thing they caught, they managed to gently caress it up pretty bad. Front legs functional, back legs, pointed the wrong way. Apparent spinal damage. If I had been there (this was relayed to me) I probably would've killed it quickly. I was told the cat dragged itself pitifully into the wood.

About a month later the cat showed up, all four legs working fine, massive scar on the belly, and wouldn't let anyone near her who smelled like dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I accidently dropped a tractor mounted slasher onto a clump of grass with a Hare hiding in it.

That made a mess...

• Locked thread