Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but

Sick 90's as hell DooM gifs from this sick 90's as hell site

:siren:Tentative Schedule:siren:
  • Streams on Tuesday nights, starting between 9:30 and 10:00 PM Pacific. Streams will happen if people wanna do multiplayer, but that's about it from now on.
  • Videos will be uploaded one or two at a time on Fridays.
This is, of course, subject to change, but I'll let you all know if it changes, at all.

Alternately:
Under a Checkered Sky: Let's Play DooM WADs

DooM came out in 1993, and DooM II came out only a year later. Together, they revolutionized first person shooters and gaming in general. They were known for their violence, monsters, weapons, and tight level design. Then a bunch of idiots with computers figured out how to make their own violence, monsters, weapons, and levels using the DooM engine. The results are... middling.
Some of the wads (that's what we call 'em. "Wads". Technically, the first map in DooM is a file called "e1m1.wad".) are really quite good, and exhibit an impressive amount of time and effort. Sometimes a frighteningly large amount of time and effort. Others are... Well, you'll see.
Come join us as we rip and tear our way through as many of these as we can, and even some we can't.

So, who the hell are you?
I'm Twiggymouse. I've been a fan of DooM since it came out, basically. This doesn't mean I'm any drat good at it, but I know a thing or two about the game and the franchise as a whole.

Okay. What are you doing, now?
I'm gonna be playing through as many DooM wads as I can.

Ah, gotcha. Any wads in particular?
There's a list of the wads I've got here, which I'll be updating as we go through. I'm also more than happy to try wads that aren't on the list if people wanna suggest stuff.

Awesome. I want in.
Sweet! If you wanna provide commentary, just show up for a stream (I'll try and post in advance) at https://hitbox.tv/twiggymouse and we'll try and sort out the skype details. If you wanna provide some footage of you playing a wad, go right ahead. Just make sure to follow the rules.

Rules?
Yeah. Rules.
  1. It's gotta be a DooM/DooM II wad. DooM likes (Like Amulets and Armor) don't count, nor do DooM themed games (Like DooMRL). Just files that run off DooM or DooM II.
  2. Don't be a dick. If someone doesn't give a wad a fair shake and you want to give it a go, go right ahead, but don't call the poster out on it.
  3. Don't try and be someone else. Just have fun with it, and be you. Not everyone's a laugh riot or a master DooM player.
  4. HAVE FUN.
I also recommend you pick up a copy of Doom Explorer if you don't already have one. It's what I'm using to play most of the wads I've got and also allows for multi-player functionality. (You'll probably also want to pick up a few engines (I recommend either zdoom or zandronum, personally) and a legitimate copy of Doom/Doom II.)

Cool, got it. So, how're your videos gonna work?
As of the second recording session, the rules are set as such:
  1. I will play every wad to three deaths or the end of the first map, whichever comes first.
  2. I'm gonna play on "Hurt Me Plenty" (For the most part), as that's what I'm most comfortable with.
  3. I reserve the right to say "gently caress this wad" whenever I want. I'm gonna try and avoid this as much as possible, but there will be poo poo wads.
Are there any thread rules?
Yeah. Primary rule is that everyone gets to enjoy the game in their own way. I don't wanna hear about how this gameplay wad is better than this one or how anything that affects the way the game is played is blasphemous or some such nonsense. We're here to have fun. In short:
  • Don't pick fights
  • Don't argue over which wads are better (discussion's fine, but keep it civil).
  • Keep the drama at home. As Klaus88 said:

Klaus88 posted:

"don't bring mod or modder related drama into the thread"
  • Don't be a dick to the other posters.
  • And let's just try and keep this fun and civil, yeah?
Anything else?
Nope. That's pretty much it. Just have fun and hang out and play some DooM wads. There's some pretty great stuff and some pretty not so great stuff already out there, and really, I'm just hoping to get some good DooMing in.

Anyway, now that all that's out of the way, here's what everyone came here for:

VIDEOS

Part 1:

Playlist

Session 1
s1p1 - Featuring Mialath
s1p2 - Featuring Mialath
s1p3 - Featuring Mialath
s1p4 - Featuring Mialath
s1p5 - Featuring Mialath
s1p6 - Featuring Mialath

Session 2
s2p1 - Featuring Mialath and Flubglub
s2p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s2p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s2p4 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s2p5 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s2p6 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

Session 3
s3p1 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p4 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p5 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p6 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

Session 4
s4p1 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s4p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s4p3 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s4p4 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s4p5 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s4p6 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s4p7

Session 5
s5p1 - Featuring Mialath, FlubGlub, and RickVoid.
s5p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s5p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s5p4 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s5p5 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid

Session 6
s6p1 - Featuring Mialath and FlubGlub
s6p2 - Featuring Mialath and FlubGlub
s6p3 - Featuring Mialath

Part 2:

p1: Epic Nazis 2, Medieval Scythe, Happy Time Circus, Going Down, and Holy Hell (MAP05) - Featuring Mialath
p2:The Sky May Be, Demon Steele, and Project MSX - Featuring Mialath
p3: Mock 2: the Speed of Stupid and imposs.wad - Featuring Mialath
p4: Sonic Robo Blast 2 (The good Sonic wad) and Russian Overkill - Featuring Mialath
p5: A Better DooM WAD Pulled Out of My rear end, DooMRPG, and DooMRL Arsenal - Featuring Mialath
p6: X-Weapon: Helsturm, Metroid: Dreadnought, Guncaster: Anime, MegaMan: Deathmatch, and Zeldoom: the Disappointing DooM WAD - Featuring Mialath

Part 3:

Part 4:

Kadorhal:
Hellcore 2.0 MAP02

Twiggymouse:
Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 1
Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 2
Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 3
Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 4 (Final)

Let's Play DooM WADs: imposs.wad Complete

Let's Play DooM WADs: Finishing Arcadia: Demade

Let's Play DooM WADs: The End

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

ART* AND STUFF

Genocyber posted:

the best moment from last night's stream

Prenton posted:

I was pleased to find the guy who did The Sky May Be has the most comically posh English accent known to man

*"Art" is a relative term and is subject to user error/critique. Twiggymouse et al do not own any of this art (most likely), and take no responsibility for it.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 24, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ha Doom. What a classic idea to LP.

If you're trying out different .wad files and minor mods Twiggy will you be touching Brutal Doom?

That is seriously fun and seriously challenging.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Oh, yeah. Brutal Doom's a staple in my library.
I was actually playing it prior to starting the stream for these. It's partly what inspired me to go looking for more wads and the like.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest my favorite WAD combination ever, NAZIS V2 + EPIC 2. You already have EPIC 2 on your list but playing it with NAZIS V2 is just perfection, it gives a very Indiana Jones'ish feel, what with shooting nazis in egyptian ruins.

Another fun combination is GMOTA + Scythe.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I would love it if you could tackle 'Happy Time Circus' and its sequel. Mainly because I have yet to see any decent footage of it anywhere, let alone seeing anyone finish the drat thing.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Doom/Doom 2/Final (the PC versions anyway) are easily some of my favorite games of all time. I don't really play anymore, but I love watching vids of it.

Twiggymouse posted:

There's a list of the wads I've got here

You consider Hell Revealed 2 trash? That's a... different opinion. But okay.

Twiggymouse posted:

[*]I'm gonna play on "Hurt Me Plenty" (For the most part), as that's what I'm most comfortable with.

Wuss!

I'd like to suggest two very special WADs that I don't think I saw in the list:

- Going Down by Cyriak (yes, that Cyriak)
- Holy Hell - Map 5. Just Map 5, you don't need any others, trust me. :getin:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Are you going to be doing any DeHackEd stuff? I always used to have great fun playing around with that.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Doom/Doom 2/Final (the PC versions anyway) are easily some of my favorite games of all time. I don't really play anymore, but I love watching vids of it.

Wuss!

I'd like to suggest two very special WADs that I don't think I saw in the list:

- Going Down by Cyriak (yes, that Cyriak)
- Holy Hell - Map 5. Just Map 5, you don't need any others, trust me. :getin:

While I thoroughly enjoy the Doom games, I'll readily admit that I'm not a great gamer. As such, when a wad is difficult for difficulty's sake (or at least it feels that way to me), I tend to just get frustrated. Thus the lower rating. By all means, show me up or point me to someone else that will, cause I'd love to see just what these wads are packing without losing what's left of my mind in the process.

That said, I will gladly look into just about anything, but be ready for a lot of swearing and dieing on the more difficult ones.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ofecks posted:

Really, both the HRs are just lazy as hell. They tried to go for difficulty but that really amounts to spaming ridiculous amounts of monsters without rhyme or reason and extremely frustrating level layouts.
If I want a legitimately good difficult .wad, I'd go for something like Alien Vendetta, but HRs are just bad.

edit: How do you feel about other people doing their videos? Want to keep it your show or turn it into a Doom megathread?

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
Decade seemed to want you to exploit infighting to thin out some of that horde. No way you're blowing all that away with the firepower you're given.

When you get to an It's Maps WAD, maybe you could take that opportunity to show off a gameplay mod. Take revenge on those jerk face maps full of monsters by adding Russian Overkill or another wacky unbalanced thing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What was the infamous mod with the Cyberdemon trapped in the 'illusopit'? That and the joke wad it spawned need to be done.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You can't have a Doom WAD thread without someone posting this, so I'll do the needful.

The Sky May Be

EDIT: Didn't see this on the Masterlist, but Stronghold On The Edge of Chaos is pretty great. It's Doom: Tower Defense, but you're the tower. Also it has a hub-world, upgrades, usable items, secret levels, etc.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 13, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

edit: How do you feel about other people doing their videos? Want to keep it your show or turn it into a Doom megathread?

Twiggymouse posted:

If you wanna provide some footage of you playing a wad, go right ahead. Just make sure to follow the rules.

Movac posted:

When you get to an It's Maps WAD, maybe you could take that opportunity to show off a gameplay mod. Take revenge on those jerk face maps full of monsters by adding Russian Overkill or another wacky unbalanced thing.

That's a pretty good idea. I don't have as many gameplay wads, yet, but I'm probably gonna go back and give some of the "it's maps" wads a fair shake once I get through the master list.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Double post, but I also wanted to clarify:

The master list is just a regurgitation of this super wad. I'm gonna play (or try to play) all of those, at least once, but once that's through, it's just whatever I can get my hands on/people wanna see.

To that end, keep the suggestions coming. I'll comb through here and pull out some good stuff a bit later.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Oh my. I recently just got back into Dooming after a hiatus, so I'll be following this to see if there are any good WADs I may have missed. I would love to contribute but I don't have any recording equipment. :( It'd be cool if you'd showcase some of the cool mods out there, like DemonSteele or Project MSX.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am disappointed that Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid is not on the list. :colbert:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gave Action Doom a shot.

It gets... pretty silly just past that tank. I'm not sure how you're supposed to do most of this without getting shot.

Got stuck partway through level 2. Action Doom 2 is way better.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Twiggymouse posted:

Oh, yeah. [b[Brutal Doom's[/b[ a staple in my library.
I was actually playing it prior to starting the stream for these. It's partly what inspired me to go looking for more wads and the like.

:staredog:

Hey op, maybe you should add "don't bring mod or modder related drama into the thread" rule.

Also maybe a no arguing about how classic doom game balance is sacred and any wad that alters that is heresy rule as well?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

Hey op, maybe you should add "don't bring mod or modder related drama into the thread" rule.

Also maybe a no arguing about how classic doom game balance is sacred and any wad that alters that is heresy rule as well?

These are good rules, and thank you for getting out in front of it.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

Thanks and agreed. Updated the op to reflect the new thread rules.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Whenever I think about neat DooM WADs, the first thing that comes to mind is always imposs.wad.

The gist is that it tries to be like an M.C. Escher work. Although I felt that some of the enemy placement and level design can get a bit dickish, it's definitely worth a look!

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

Oh my. I recently just got back into Dooming after a hiatus, so I'll be following this to see if there are any good WADs I may have missed. I would love to contribute but I don't have any recording equipment. :( It'd be cool if you'd showcase some of the cool mods out there, like DemonSteele or Project MSX.

Yes. You must play DemonSteele.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RElfXigIe4c

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Stream session number two is going to be tonight, starting some time between 9:30 and 10:00 PM Pacific, right here.

I'm gonna try to get through the next two years (2006/2007) on the list.

For all the people asking, I'll play just about anything. The plan right now, though is to get through that list, and then start looking at everything else.
Also, (and I'll be adding this to the op) the tentative update schedule will be:
  • Streams on Monday nights, starting between 9:30 and 10:00 PM Pacific.
  • Videos will be uploaded one or two at a time on Fridays.
This is, of course, subject to change, but I'll let you all know if it changes, at all.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 16, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You can tell the dude in Action Doom is a badass because when he jumps out of the plane, he takes the exit that is in front of the plane's engines, which normally would not be a good idea. Also, in that first wad, at one point the lights go out and you see some other place - was that supposed to be the Red Room from Twin Peaks?

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

The Action Doom Guy is naturally just the more action-y version of the regular Doom Guy, so that's only natural.
Also, that's an interesting thought. No idea what it could mean, but it's interesting.

Also, also, Stream's gonna be starting in about 20 minutes.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Tentacle meat slurry.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Tentacle meat slurry, indeed.

Stream's done for the night. Thanks to everyone who came out to watch us make fools of ourselves, tonight. Next video should be up and ready on Friday.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

:siren: Update time!:siren:

Parts 3 and 4 of the first session:

s1p3
s1p4

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

WOW, Super Sonic Doom is stupid. Daedalus looks cool, but like one of those "good on paper, poorly executed" type things.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Hey, all,

Just a quick update:
This week's stream will actually be on Tuesday at ~9:30 Pacific.
Got stuff I'm doing on Monday night.

Cheers.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Twiggymouse posted:

Hey, all,

Just a quick update:
This week's stream will actually be on Tuesday at ~9:30 Pacific.
Got stuff I'm doing on Monday night.

Cheers.

In fact, it's gonna be starting in about two hours.
Come join the fun, same place as always.

That was certainly a thing...

We'll see you next week for more streaming, and there'll be a new video up come Friday.
Cheers.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 24, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Another fun night of streaming. Thanks for letting me poo poo up your videos again. :D

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Another fun night of streaming. Thanks for letting me poo poo up your videos again. :D

Only 57 more to go! :suicide:

No, but yeah. These are one of the highlights of the week, for me. Thanks to everyone who's been coming out for 'em.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Is it still a double post if it's three days later?

Anyway, have some more videos:

:siren:Update Time!:siren:*

s1p5
s1p6

*Now with fancy-shmancy banner!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Posting for a bookmark.

I adored the Doom games back in the day, still run through them every couple of years, but I've never seen a single WAD outside of the main game ones, very interested to see how they changed the game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

:eng101: You have your Barons and Knights mixed up! The pink ones are Barons of Hell and the beige ones are Hell Knights. The Knights were introduced in Doom II and apart from colour the only difference is that Barons have 1000 HP and Knights have 500 HP.

Schythe II looked pretty good, I think I've heard of that before (actually it was probably the first Scythe). Might have to check that one out some time!

Been following this LP from the start, Doom II is one of my favourite FPSes of all time and the Super Shotgun remains to this day my favourite FPS weapon of all time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Scythes are...weird. I honestly think he ran out of good map ideas about halfway through the second one; Scythe 1 is great up to level 20, then it gets ridiculously spammy.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

:eng101: You have your Barons and Knights mixed up! The pink ones are Barons of Hell and the beige ones are Hell Knights. The Knights were introduced in Doom II and apart from colour the only difference is that Barons have 1000 HP and Knights have 500 HP.

Schythe II looked pretty good, I think I've heard of that before (actually it was probably the first Scythe). Might have to check that one out some time!

Been following this LP from the start, Doom II is one of my favourite FPSes of all time and the Super Shotgun remains to this day my favourite FPS weapon of all time.

That could explain why they've been so angry with me. Rights of lordship are very important in the inner circles of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

:siren:Stream tonight.:siren:

Same DooM time, same DooM place.

Come watch me get wrekt scrubs.

• Locked thread