Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Gideon020 posted:

I'd like to request you check out a WAD called Guncaster. It's a weapon/gameplay modifier that turns Doom into something insane and full of explosions and bullets.

Congratulations on describing native doom. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Twiggymouse posted:

Yeah, there were one or two wads that just didn't wanna run in Zandronum for whatever reason that still ran in Skulltag. It's mostly just a fall back, at this point.
Might be wads that do something specific with the extra Skulltag weapons, since those don't exist in Zandronum. That pk3 mod with classes I spoke of a while ago only works with Skulltag for that reason.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Well, take this with a grain of salt, but
:siren:Stream Alert!:siren:

While there won't be a DooM Stream, tonight (I don't have all the stuff I need.), we are gonna try and get a game of Quiplash going.

edit: Mialath's hosting cause my internet is bad:
Come join the fun.

Well, that was certainly a time. New episodes up on Friday.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 22, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Happy actually Friday update time! Starting the third session, today, and the WADs are getting pretty interesting.

s3p1 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Anybody still watching this thread should come join us tonight for more DooM Streaming.

Same DooM time (9:30 Pacific (that's -8 GMT)), same DooM place.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Stream will be starting shortly, with a brief tech support moment.

All done.

So, important stuff:

I can't get my computer to host multiplayer stuff, cause my network just doesn't like to host things, in general. As such, if we wanna make actually happen, we either need somebody to host for us, or someone who can troubleshoot this problem that's been plaguing my computer for the last ten or so years.
Now, if this issue can be resolved, we'll keep doing streams until we've run out/burnt out on multiplayer stuff. However, if it can't, then the last stream just ended. I'm still cutting together all the videos from the previous streams, and there's a huge buffer of stuff that's already ready to go, pending the release schedule, but for the last chapter, Thy Wads Consumed*, I'm going to be switching the format to edited videos with post commentary, as these videos will be me playing through the stuff on the list that I really liked and wanted to explore further.

In short, thanks for coming out, guys. If we can get the multiplayer stuff working, we'll see you then, if not, feel free to contribute videos/discussion/wads for me to try out to the thread and I'll keep playing DooM and posting videos.

Cheers, all.

*Banner forthcoming

:siren:Update:siren:
edit: We've got multiplayer working thanks to #bestever. This means the question is not if, but when. Since I recognize not everyone's schedule lines up with mine, what time(s) would you guys be interested in possibly engaging in some of these multiplayer shenanigans?

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 29, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

:siren:Updates!:siren:

s3p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p4 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Twiggymouse posted:

:siren:Update:siren:
edit: We've got multiplayer working thanks to #bestever. This means the question is not if, but when. Since I recognize not everyone's schedule lines up with mine, what time(s) would you guys be interested in possibly engaging in some of these multiplayer shenanigans?

Any day works for me, but I'd prefer if it could start an hour or two earlier than usual.

Twiggymouse posted:

:siren:Updates!:siren:

s3p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

You had issues with Chex Quest cause you used it as a pwad when it's an iwad.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

When you pick up Berserk, you have it until the end of the stage. It's a common misconception that it only lasts for the duration of the red tint.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Genocyber posted:

You had issues with Chex Quest cause you used it as a pwad when it's an iwad.

KennyMan666 posted:

When you pick up Berserk, you have it until the end of the stage. It's a common misconception that it only lasts for the duration of the red tint.
Both of these things were discovered, later. We are intelligent people. :pseudo:

As for dm times, whenever everyone's available, basically. My availability's gonna be wide open for a little bit, then almost go away except on the weekends.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Twiggymouse posted:

Both of these things were discovered, later. We are intelligent people. :pseudo:

Dude, the game has been out for more than 20 years now.. You should know this by now.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Steelpudding posted:

Dude, the game has been out for more than 20 years now.. You should know this by now.

Twiggymouse posted:

We are intelligent people. :pseudo:
:thejoke:

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

So, since I didn't really get a time frame from anyone, I'm gonna be around from about noon Pacific on Tuesday the 4th, till about 5 PM Pacific on Thursday the 6th.
I'll be keeping a stream alive for most of that, so message me/show up for the stream and we'll get some games going.

edit: That's actually gonna be later in the evening on Tuesday/early on Wednesday. Sorry.

edit the second: Stream'll be starting up in about three hours, probably. Gonna go till I don't know when.

edit the third: Come hit me up for some games.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 5, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Kay, so we ran through a handful of wads with varying degrees of success, but there's only two or three of us, so I'm gonna shut it down unless I get some folks who wanna join in.

If you're interested, message me through SA or Steam (same username and avatar) and let me know. Otherwise, that's it for the streams, so thanks to everyone who came out.
More videos are, of course, on the way.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Nice and early for everyone:

s3p5 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s3p6 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The pistol model in that fist wad is the Automag from Unreal. EDIT: Not going to fix that typo

And something I've been wondering since the first episode... don't you ever save? It would let you show off more of the wads and not have to play through the same thing after each death.

Oh god those four-legged monsters in Harmony are legitimately terrifying

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 7, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

The pistol model in that fist wad is the Automag from Unreal.
Well that answers one of our questions about that :ducksiren: WAD.

KennyMan666 posted:

And something I've been wondering since the first episode... don't you ever save? It would let you show off more of the wads and not have to play through the same thing after each death.
I have legitimate trouble remembering I have a quick save/load feature in any game. I will be using this to show off some of the WADs I enjoyed or just want to pursue further, though.

KennyMan666 posted:

Oh god those four-legged monsters in Harmony are legitimately terrifying
:stare:

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Just a heads up, while there won't be a DooM stream, tonight, there will be a stream. Don't know what of, yet, but it'll be there.

Starting at ~7:30 PDT at the usual place.

All done. Cheers, all.

Twiggymouse fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 12, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was afk when you actually ended the stream so I'll just say thanks for showing that game off here. I'll probably get it when it eventually goes on sale.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Hey, is it Friday? It is! Have some DooM*:

s4p1 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s4p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

*Now in glorious 60 fps!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Plutonia 2 does have one of my absolute favourite Doom maps of all time - Map 29, Ticket to Eternity. Love the design of that one.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Is it Friday again, already? My how the time flies:

s4p3 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s4p4 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Has Sky May Be been attempted yet?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You mentioned in the video you'd like to see someone show off the wads you couldn't get through. Any in particular you were interested in? I kinda feel like contributing something.

Mister Bates posted:

Has Sky May Be been attempted yet?

They did it at some point on stream, so it'll show up at some point.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I downloaded GZDoom Builder earlier this week. I'll never really be one of them great mapmakers, but I have a first goal: produce one non-terrible map. So I've set limitations on myself for what weapons and enemies are allowed to appear in it, and it's going to be pretty basic and straightforward. Think E1M1 or something.

While not surprising, it's still interesting that even after spending only a few hours with it (my greatest achievement so far is that I now know how to make functioning doors), I find myself looking at Doom maps in a whole new way. Especially doors, since that's what I've spent most of my time on: I look at them and see that no, they're usually not actually as thin as I thought they were.

And yeah, I could probably record something for the thread as well. Been on a Doom kick lately - almost done with No Rest for the Living, partway through Valiant, playing 1monster.wad for some reason and started the Doom 64 Windows conversion.

Maybe I'll just do a 100% playthrough of my favourite map to start out.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Genocyber posted:

You mentioned in the video you'd like to see someone show off the wads you couldn't get through. Any in particular you were interested in? I kinda feel like contributing something.

KennyMan666 posted:

And yeah, I could probably record something for the thread as well. Been on a Doom kick lately - almost done with No Rest for the Living, partway through Valiant, playing 1monster.wad for some reason and started the Doom 64 Windows conversion.

Maybe I'll just do a 100% playthrough of my favourite map to start out.
Whatever you'd like, really. I'd love to see people get through the Action DooM's (particularly the 2nd) and see someone actually make it through some of the stuff that just roadblocked (read: rated "red" because I suck at video games) me.

KennyMan666 posted:

So I downloaded GZDoom Builder earlier this week. I'll never really be one of them great mapmakers, but I have a first goal: produce one non-terrible map. So I've set limitations on myself for what weapons and enemies are allowed to appear in it, and it's going to be pretty basic and straightforward. Think E1M1 or something.

While not surprising, it's still interesting that even after spending only a few hours with it (my greatest achievement so far is that I now know how to make functioning doors), I find myself looking at Doom maps in a whole new way. Especially doors, since that's what I've spent most of my time on: I look at them and see that no, they're usually not actually as thin as I thought they were.
Something I thought about (way too ambitious, probably, but whatever) is trying to put together a sort of "thread wad" where those of us who can make maps* try to put together a few and run through 'em for the thread.
While an actual 32 map megawad is maybe a bit too ambitious, I'd love to see what we can come up with. Plus, it gives me more content to stream.

*quality not required

On another note, I'm going to be trying to work my way through some of the WADs I found more enjoyable (Arcadia Demade, for instance) and checking out the various maps on the Community Chests and such. The games I just wanna finish I'll record and edit off stream, but the community chest maps I might go ahead and record through a stream.
I also wanna do a full run of Suspended in Dusk using the DooMRPG and DooMRL Arsenal WADs, which I may or may not stream.

Don't let that bar you from recording any of the WADs we've seen so far, though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I assume you're Twiggymouse on Skype btw?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I recently completed Whispers of Satan using Demonsteele, and it was really fun throughout. Difficulty spikes at times near the end, but overall it was a well-designed and created WAD that complemented the mod very nicely.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

I assume you're Twiggymouse on Skype btw?

You assume correctly.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I might have been playing too much Doom (if there's such a thing). I had no fewer than three separate Doom-related dreams last night. They all got... weird, but was Doom nontheless.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Thanks for the awesome thread so far! I've always been terrible at most FPS games and I appreciate these sorts of threads for showing such a wide variety of insanity.

Also just tossing this out there:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?dir=themes/x-rated/i_am_old_enough_to_look_at_this/

Anyone for goatse cacodemons, etc.?

I'm so mature.

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 27, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Thanks for the awesome thread so far! I've always been terrible at most FPS games and I appreciate these sorts of threads for showing such a wide variety of insanity.

Also just tossing this out there:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?dir=themes/x-rated/i_am_old_enough_to_look_at_this/

Anyone for goatse cacodemons, etc.?

I'm so mature.

Glad to be of service, though that is uh... quite the list.

Anyway, have some updates:

s4p5 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s4p6 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Have some more DooM!

In this batch, we finish session four and move on to session five. Do things get weird? I don't know, probably.

:siren:UPDATE TIME!:siren:

s4p7
s5p1 - Featuring Mialath, FlubGlub, and RickVoid.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh hey, Threshold of Pain uses a bunch of Doom 64 stuff - most sound effects are the D64 ones, the HUD is styled after the one in D64 and the Super Shotgun sprite is the D64 one (but that one doesn't have a reloading animation). And the lighting is reminiscent of D64 as well, actually. And the grey, translucent imps with purple fireballs are also from there.

So it actually seems to have been an attempt at making a Doom 64 fangame in Doom II. There's an identifiable coherent thought that went into it, that's probably harder to see if you haven't played Doom 64. I started playing Doom 64 EX not too long ago, which is a way to play it on PC without emulation.

Edit: I definitely do "On the one hand, X. On the other hand, Y. On the third hand, Z." Alternatively, "On the other other hand, Z."

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 5, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Friday!

s5p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s5p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

On a side note, was any body gonna post their own videos in the thread?
Cause people keep talking about it and I wanna see other people playing DooM.
Let's get on that.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

Happy Friday!

s5p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s5p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

On a side note, was any body gonna post their own videos in the thread?
Cause people keep talking about it and I wanna see other people playing DooM.
Let's get on that.

I could do a short stream this afternoon (~1 pm central standard), but I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to youtube.

We'll see.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Took me a bit, but I got the stream working, I think.

Come watch me be ~as bad as Twiggy at Doom.

http://www.hitbox.tv/RickvoidSA

We came, we saw, and in the tradition of Metroid games everywhere, we sequence broke a bunch of maps.

It's okay, I was authorized to use that suit functionality.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 11, 2015

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Took me a bit, but I got the stream working, I think.

Come watch me be ~as bad as Twiggy at Doom.

http://www.hitbox.tv/RickvoidSA

We came, we saw, and in the tradition of Metroid games everywhere, we sequence broke a bunch of maps.

It's okay, I was authorized to use that suit functionality.

Managed to catch the tail end of that, and it was a good show. Looking forward to the next one.

Twiggymouse
Mar 4, 2013

Did you say you wanted more DooM? No? Well, too bad.

:siren:MORE DOOM!:siren:

s5p4 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid
s5p5 - Featuring Mialath and RickVoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
It seems you really don't take advantage of monster infighting at all. A bunch of those generic maps could be made much easier and you would have saved alot of ammo if you just got them to shoot each other and fight it out, then wait 30 seconds to finish off the victor.

• Locked thread