Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

:eng101: You have your Barons and Knights mixed up! The pink ones are Barons of Hell and the beige ones are Hell Knights. The Knights were introduced in Doom II and apart from colour the only difference is that Barons have 1000 HP and Knights have 500 HP.

Schythe II looked pretty good, I think I've heard of that before (actually it was probably the first Scythe). Might have to check that one out some time!

Been following this LP from the start, Doom II is one of my favourite FPSes of all time and the Super Shotgun remains to this day my favourite FPS weapon of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You talking about waiting for a wad with the sound effects reminds me of something a Doom-modding interent friend of mine made back when we played a lot of Doom online. It replaced all monster death sound effects with CD-i Ganon saying "die". It was as magical and stupid as it sounds.

Dude also made some other cool mods, such as one with different classes (mostly used for Invasion maps), including Heretic Guy, Hexen Guy and Strife Guy. Still have it here.

Edit: And another friend from the same community actually made one and a half map for Community Chest 3. He was responsible for map 14 and half of map 3.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 10, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If the mod with classes is Samsara, the guy who made it posts in the Early FPS Thread in Games, actually!
No, he's called SK and the mod was called SK Mega. Just tried it out for the first time in ages and oh my god we had so many stupid skins added for multiplayer shenanigans. I'll have to ask if there's any more updated version and/or if I can share it here. It only works in Skulltag, though, since it uses Skulltag weapons for stuff.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Man, those smoothed-out pixels just do not work for Doom at all.

And for the multiplayer stuff, I'm pretty sure you only need Zandronum and don't need Skulltag. Skulltag development was halted in 2012 and Zandronum became the new name for the Skulltag fork that the development team continued work on, so it's everything Skulltag was. If I'm around, I might very much be interested in the multiplayering.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Twiggymouse posted:

Yeah, there were one or two wads that just didn't wanna run in Zandronum for whatever reason that still ran in Skulltag. It's mostly just a fall back, at this point.
Might be wads that do something specific with the extra Skulltag weapons, since those don't exist in Zandronum. That pk3 mod with classes I spoke of a while ago only works with Skulltag for that reason.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

When you pick up Berserk, you have it until the end of the stage. It's a common misconception that it only lasts for the duration of the red tint.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The pistol model in that fist wad is the Automag from Unreal. EDIT: Not going to fix that typo

And something I've been wondering since the first episode... don't you ever save? It would let you show off more of the wads and not have to play through the same thing after each death.

Oh god those four-legged monsters in Harmony are legitimately terrifying

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 7, 2015

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Plutonia 2 does have one of my absolute favourite Doom maps of all time - Map 29, Ticket to Eternity. Love the design of that one.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I downloaded GZDoom Builder earlier this week. I'll never really be one of them great mapmakers, but I have a first goal: produce one non-terrible map. So I've set limitations on myself for what weapons and enemies are allowed to appear in it, and it's going to be pretty basic and straightforward. Think E1M1 or something.

While not surprising, it's still interesting that even after spending only a few hours with it (my greatest achievement so far is that I now know how to make functioning doors), I find myself looking at Doom maps in a whole new way. Especially doors, since that's what I've spent most of my time on: I look at them and see that no, they're usually not actually as thin as I thought they were.

And yeah, I could probably record something for the thread as well. Been on a Doom kick lately - almost done with No Rest for the Living, partway through Valiant, playing 1monster.wad for some reason and started the Doom 64 Windows conversion.

Maybe I'll just do a 100% playthrough of my favourite map to start out.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I assume you're Twiggymouse on Skype btw?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I might have been playing too much Doom (if there's such a thing). I had no fewer than three separate Doom-related dreams last night. They all got... weird, but was Doom nontheless.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh hey, Threshold of Pain uses a bunch of Doom 64 stuff - most sound effects are the D64 ones, the HUD is styled after the one in D64 and the Super Shotgun sprite is the D64 one (but that one doesn't have a reloading animation). And the lighting is reminiscent of D64 as well, actually. And the grey, translucent imps with purple fireballs are also from there.

So it actually seems to have been an attempt at making a Doom 64 fangame in Doom II. There's an identifiable coherent thought that went into it, that's probably harder to see if you haven't played Doom 64. I started playing Doom 64 EX not too long ago, which is a way to play it on PC without emulation.

Edit: I definitely do "On the one hand, X. On the other hand, Y. On the third hand, Z." Alternatively, "On the other other hand, Z."

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SugarAddict posted:

I remember a video with two large bosses stuck on platforms, and you are supposed to get them to fight then finish off the victor. Sadly I only have the shareware version of doom.
That would be Doom II, MAP20: Gotcha!

• Locked thread