Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You can't have a Doom WAD thread without someone posting this, so I'll do the needful.

The Sky May Be

EDIT: Didn't see this on the Masterlist, but Stronghold On The Edge of Chaos is pretty great. It's Doom: Tower Defense, but you're the tower. Also it has a hub-world, upgrades, usable items, secret levels, etc.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gave Action Doom a shot.

It gets... pretty silly just past that tank. I'm not sure how you're supposed to do most of this without getting shot.

Got stuck partway through level 2. Action Doom 2 is way better.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

:staredog:

Hey op, maybe you should add "don't bring mod or modder related drama into the thread" rule.

Also maybe a no arguing about how classic doom game balance is sacred and any wad that alters that is heresy rule as well?

These are good rules, and thank you for getting out in front of it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Tentacle meat slurry.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Another fun night of streaming. Thanks for letting me poo poo up your videos again. :D

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In a disappointment to no one, I will not be joining the stream tonight. Just too drat tired to commentate until 2:30 AM my time. We'll see about next week.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Kids are going to bed early, I'm feeling pretty good. I may show up. We'll see.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Last nights dreams were Doom flavored.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Whatever works out better for you.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

Welp, barring a sudden and violent lashing out by everyone else, I'll most likely be moving the stream day to Tuesday.

In the meantime:

:siren:Update!:siren:

We start session two of the
:

s2p1 - Featuring Mialath and Flubglub
s2p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

That Rick guy is an unfunny jerk. He's dragging down the quality of the stream, you should sever.

Also, holy poo poo my audio is LOUD. I knew the mic in my headset was pretty great but drat.

So that whole "I think I figured out my audio issues" thing was because the audio stopped playing in my headset shortly after the call started and just started playing from the TV. There's a moment where you can hear a very quiet "What the gently caress!?" as I'm trying to sort the whole thing out. I thought I had my mic muted for that, whoops.

Looking forward to next tuesday.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In related news I just played through Episode One of Doom 1 using the Nazis V2 mod. It was really good. I even played on HMP, and I never play on HMP. Managed to get through without a death even. The machine gun that has a 32 round magazine is straight up the best gun in the mod though. Tons of ammo, super accurate (even when you spray), and does decent damage even if you're just bursting. That said the LMG is just pure death. I just mag-dumped the thing on Phobos Anomaly and it killed the Hell Knight analogues super-fast. The shotgun is the big loser though. The 8 round magazine goes fast for how slow it fires, and while I appreciate that it does model a burst of projectiles I would have liked to see a little more spread. DoomGuy needs to take out the choke tube. I also feel like there wasn't a need for 3 different pistols (with their own ammo!), though I suppose a Revolver Ocelot gimmick run would be entertaining (though short). Didn't really bother with grenades either.

Seriously though, it's shooting Nazis in Hell. What more do you need?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

:cawg:

Wildweasel can't balance his mods for poo poo, even if they're fun to play. Wait till you hit an open space with a ton of knights and imps and it turns into a Japanese scrolling shooter.

I had noticed that I was tending to use doorways tactically instead of the standard doom tactic or running around with the shotgun out with the fire button held down, yes.

It's interesting how much the game changes when none of the enemies are hitscan, but they all fire fast moving projectiles.

Has anyone done a mod where all of the enemies are former humans and marines, and your character is a demon that fires energy projectiles? Like a reverse Doom. That would be fun.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kadorhal posted:

EDIT: was apparently Doom: Rampage Edition and was so bad someone made a better one in like a week in response called A Better Doom WAD Pulled Out My rear end.

:golfclap:

This thread is making me want to do a thing that other such threads make me want to do: learn how to make my own mods.

It will never happen.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been trying to get Doom RPG to run for a while today. No luck yet. Too bad, it looks kind of fun.

On the other end of the spectrum, Doomrl Armory is very fun. My first run through I picked up a Nuclear Plasma Pistol. 16 shots, didn't use actual plasma ammo, automatically regenerated it's own ammo. Stupid overpowered.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Two more for the pile: X Weapon and Metroid: Dreadnought.

Metroid: Dreadnought is so, so good, but it needs some classic Metroid enemies and maps designed for it's special movement modes, stat.

X Weapon has a triple chaingun. Which is also great.

Edit: Epic 2 + Epic2GL (graphics mod) + MetroidDreadnoughtv1 is pretty much like playing a Metroidvania, but guddamn it needs some enemy replacements. Oh, and it has some special options that aren't enabled by default, like turning megaspheres into energy tanks.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 5, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

Happy Friday!

:siren:UPDATE TIME!:siren:

s5p2 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid
s5p3 - Featuring Mialath, Flubglub, and RickVoid

On a side note, was any body gonna post their own videos in the thread?
Cause people keep talking about it and I wanna see other people playing DooM.
Let's get on that.

I could do a short stream this afternoon (~1 pm central standard), but I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to youtube.

We'll see.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Took me a bit, but I got the stream working, I think.

Come watch me be ~as bad as Twiggy at Doom.

http://www.hitbox.tv/RickvoidSA

We came, we saw, and in the tradition of Metroid games everywhere, we sequence broke a bunch of maps.

It's okay, I was authorized to use that suit functionality.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 11, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

Just watch me.

:siren:UPDATE TIME:siren:

Let's Play DooM WADs: DooMRPGRLSID 1

The first of four maps in the DooM RPG/RL Arsenal run through Suspended in Dusk.

That collection of wads mods looks fun as hell, but I'm apparently too stupid to figure out how to get them all working together. I'll need to give it another shot one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Twiggymouse posted:

I remembered you saying you had some difficulty with DooMRPG, and it's really not super easy to get it to work.

I had to download both the zip file and the launcher from here, then put all the wads I wanted to use for this (RL Arsenal and SID) into a separate folder that I told the launcher to pull wads from, then load up the launcher and select all of the WADs, manually, then launch DooMRPG from there.
And I'm pretty sure I'm missing a step where you actually set up the launcher, as well...

And even then, it's not the most stable of things. I had it crash three out of five times on me, and I'm really surprised and pleased that it didn't crash once during this run.

Ah. You really made it look a lot less janky than my experience with it was, so I'm both gratified and disappointed that it hasn't changed since the last time I tried.

• Locked thread