Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
20th century:
-quantum mechanics
-atomic power
-the computer
-polio vaccine
-bypass surgery
-space program

So far, compared to the previous century, ours is what Tumblr is to real activism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Decebal posted:

20th century:
-quantum mechanics
-atomic power
-the computer
-polio vaccine
-bypass surgery
-space program

So far, compared to the previous century, ours is what Tumblr is to real activism

Yeah but we invented dubstep this century

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
21st century:
  • invented cinnamon challenge
  • invented cat pictures
  • invented Islam

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Being mad about things is the entirety of some people's identities and those people took over a website named tumblr and also apparently university campuses.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Decebal posted:

20th century:
-quantum mechanics
-atomic power
-the computer
-polio vaccine
-bypass surgery
-space program

20th century was also slow to start, things really picked up after 1914. There is hope still.

naem
May 29, 2011

I have a feeling that the interesting and memorable aspects of our current century are about to happen aka wwIII: Asians Fighting Over Fish (2 Fish 2 Furious)

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

naem posted:

I have a feeling that the interesting and memorable aspects of our current century are about to happen aka wwIII: Asians Fighting Over Fish (2 Fish 2 Furious)

Conflict looks like the spark needed for breakthroughs

The meek shall inherit a stagnant world

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

NihilismNow posted:

20th century was also slow to start, things really picked up after 1914. There is hope still.
hardly. in the first fifteen years of the 20th century they invented aircraft, quantum mechanics, relativity, radio voice broadcasting and a whole bunch of other poo poo that i'm sure i could look up on wikipedia

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

I'm Crap posted:

hardly. in the first fifteen years of the 20th century they invented aircraft, quantum mechanics, relativity, radio voice broadcasting and a whole bunch of other poo poo that i'm sure i could look up on wikipedia

LETS DO IT

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
-1900: Human voice transmitted wirelessly (by radio) for the first time by Roberto Landell de Moura. The first AM radio factory was opened in 1912.
-1903: First manually controlled, fixed wing, motorized aircraft takes place in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina by Orville and Wilbur Wright. First modern fixed wing aircraft. 1901: Gustave Weisskopf (Whitehead), a German-American immigrant, is credited with motorized aircraft flight in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Flights were witnessed by citizens and other associates, were recorded in the Bridgeport Herald, a local newspaper, but were not mentioned in a 1904 article in Scientific American. In 2013 Jane's All The World's Aircraft recognized Whitehead as first to make a manned, powered, controlled flight.
-1915: The tank was invented by Ernest Swinton, although the British Royal Commission on Awards recognised a South Australian named Lance de Mole who had submitted a proposal to the British War Office, for a 'chain-rail vehicle which could be easily steered and carry heavy loads over rough ground and trenches' complete with extensive drawings in 1912

These things are impressive and all but we got our poo poo too. I mean Stem Cell and Organ creation, 3D printing. We're only getting started.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i care about cukc stories

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Shadow posted:

These things are impressive and all but we got our poo poo too. I mean Stem Cell and Organ creation, 3D printing. We're only getting started.

Stem Cell took a big hit with Bush banning it. Also the UK & E.U are being massive hand-wringing babies about germ line engineering.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I think I might have been outraged once but I'm not sure and need confirmation. Firstly, I have the epilepsy. Second, a number of years back Harvard university banned the use of the word "brainstorm" and its derivatives because apparently brainstorm was once a word for seizure. They surveyed a bunch of us and we all (seriously, 100%) called them retard faggots for even asking us, because what kind of poo poo eating freak would find the term "brainstorm" offensive? Well, I got really worked up about it and I won't repeat what I said except that it involved Harvard, Massacheusetts, Al Qaeda, a dirty bomb, and transgenic bird flu. Is that what it really feels like to be outraged all the time? Cause I just don't have the energy for that.

edit: oh yeah the really offensive part was harvard basically said we were in the wrong by not being offended

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I think I might have been outraged once but I'm not sure and need confirmation. Firstly, I have the epilepsy. Second, a number of years back Harvard university banned the use of the word "brainstorm" and its derivatives because apparently brainstorm was once a word for seizure. They surveyed a bunch of us and we all (seriously, 100%) called them retard faggots for even asking us, because what kind of poo poo eating freak would find the term "brainstorm" offensive? Well, I got really worked up about it and I won't repeat what I said except that it involved Harvard, Massacheusetts, Al Qaeda, a dirty bomb, and transgenic bird flu. Is that what it really feels like to be outraged all the time? Cause I just don't have the energy for that.

edit: oh yeah the really offensive part was harvard basically said we were in the wrong by not being offended

That wasn't Harvard. It was some british council in the middle of nowhere

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Beef Turret posted:

That wasn't Harvard. It was some nothing council in the middle of nowhere

i still blame harvard because of the alcohol

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Decebal posted:

I'm beginning to think that social media isn't helping humanity

Motto posted:

social media was a mistake

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
transgender crops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Decebal posted:

I'm beginning to think that social media isn't helping humanity

who would of thought that allowing people to share their unfiltered innermost thoughts and feelings was a good idea

• Locked thread