Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Clean out your PM's dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sorry, fixed!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Whelp.

Got the KTM torn down for it's 18k service, made it most of the way through the work, and all of the sudden:

A wild superduke appears!

The valves are slowly closing up on my 1290, about .01 every 10k miles, so I'll knock them all to the very loose end of the spec in 10k miles, and that'll keep them good for a good and long time.

The other SuperDuke is a buddy's, who bought it to go racing, had a season destroyed by bad luck, and ended with a spark cut quickshifter knocking a valve shim out and doing in the top end on the bike. So now it has a fresh top end, and he's looking for something that he can just race and not thing about. I'll be stripping it down, taking it back to street trim, and putting it up on the chopping block.

Anyone interested in a 10k superduke? Not cosmetically perfect, but hey, it's a Superduke for cheap!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Z3n posted:

Whelp.

Got the KTM torn down for it's 18k service, made it most of the way through the work, and all of the sudden:

A wild superduke appears!

The valves are slowly closing up on my 1290, about .01 every 10k miles, so I'll knock them all to the very loose end of the spec in 10k miles, and that'll keep them good for a good and long time.

The other SuperDuke is a buddy's, who bought it to go racing, had a season destroyed by bad luck, and ended with a spark cut quickshifter knocking a valve shim out and doing in the top end on the bike. So now it has a fresh top end, and he's looking for something that he can just race and not thing about. I'll be stripping it down, taking it back to street trim, and putting it up on the chopping block.

Anyone interested in a 10k superduke? Not cosmetically perfect, but hey, it's a Superduke for cheap!

If you were in Aus I'd sell my bike and take up your offer...

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
How about an update on the XR. Have you been racking up the miles on it like you intended?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Barnsy posted:

Honestly, you could buy it unseen, get it shipped here and complianced and you'd still come out ahead at $10K.

Maybe not by that much once you take exchange rates and transfer fees into account, but maybe z3n accepts bitcoin...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Fly and....boat?

Kastivich posted:

How about an update on the XR. Have you been racking up the miles on it like you intended?

Pushing close to 6k on it now. Gearing up to do the first mods, a carbon fiber replacement for the dash (as I pulled the windscreen off because it caused terrible buffeting, but the mounts for it are still there and causing more moderate buffeting) and machining this block of metal into some lower foot pegs:

prukinski posted:

Honestly, you could buy it unseen, get it shipped here and complianced and you'd still come out ahead at $10K.

Maybe not by that much once you take exchange rates and transfer fees into account, but maybe z3n accepts bitcoin...

I hope I am never so degraded as to have to accept Bitcoin.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Z3n posted:

Pushing close to 6k on it now. Gearing up to do the first mods, a carbon fiber replacement for the dash (as I pulled the windscreen off because it caused terrible buffeting, but the mounts for it are still there and causing more moderate buffeting) and machining this block of metal into some lower foot pegs:

I'd like to see pics of this when you are done.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Kastivich posted:

I'd like to see pics of this when you are done.

Im so terrible about taking pictures but will try and get some of the process. Doing my first vacuum bagging for this carbon so that'd be a good thing to record :)

Otherwise you'll just have to settle for post fab pictures, haha.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Did this today:

1290 SuperDuke exhaust fits basically perfectly on the 1190. Sounds great, especially with a renegade airbox.

Also have an Akra exhaust that was damaged that I need to repair and will go on the track 1290! Yay!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is that the stock can for comparison?

:stare: Jesus, that thing is massive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yes it is. It's staggering.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crikey gently caress is there a catalytic converter in there? That verges on RSV mille huge.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nope, just a massive muffler. They hid it all under the bike on the SuperDuke, the cat box there is insanely heavy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, on the plus side, it looks like you could smuggle a LOT of drugs in there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Well, on the plus side, it looks like you could smuggle a LOT of drugs in there.

Or decorate the interior and put it up on AirBnB.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ola posted:

Run exhaust somewhere else with a regular muffler, use that for fuel. Go 2500miles on a tank.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

We can't stop here, this is Adventure country.

builds character posted:

Run exhaust somewhere else with a regular muffler, use that for fuel. Go 2500miles on a tank.

Bonus, you can prop up your savings portfolio because oil is cheap.

Ola posted:

Look, man, I'm not a believer in actively contributing to the downfall of the Bay Area, ok? Rude!

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
You have any thoughts (pros/cons) on the 1190? I've ridden one, but just wondering what you've heard more long term. I've heard about the heat under the seat and a few fuel pumps here and there. I wouldn't mind picking one up next year and do some ~adventure touring~ to the local starbucks on it.

Also, post more pics of your superrrrrrrrrduke.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

velocross posted:

You have any thoughts (pros/cons) on the 1190? I've ridden one, but just wondering what you've heard more long term. I've heard about the heat under the seat and a few fuel pumps here and there. I wouldn't mind picking one up next year and do some ~adventure touring~ to the local starbucks on it.

Also, post more pics of your superrrrrrrrrduke.

Let's see...The 1190s are great bikes. Only some years come with the dynamic lean sensitive ABS, if that's important to you, make sure you get one of those years (2014+, I think). There was supposed to be a backwards patch for it, I don't think it'll happen. There's the always on heated seat, and the airbox sealant issues - those are the 2 big ones. They seem to have fixed most of the rest of it.

I have a buddy who bought one as his 2nd bike - CB400F as his first, and then the 1190. He's put about 12k on it and still loves the poo poo out of it, it's big and he's giant and so it fits him really well. He got the R model. The reason I didn't buy an 1190 is the seat heater (yes, seriously), and that it didn't come with 17s and that the suspension was just a touch iffy for me. I've split the difference with the S1000XR, which has the big and tall setup, and the SuperDuke, which has the engine and KTM-ness down pat. The TC is solid, I haven't played in offroad mode, ABS is great in supermoto mode, gets good gas mileage and has crazy range as a result. Starts to do a weave if you wheelie it at over 100mph. All in all, a wonderful bike, and if it fits your use case, highly recommended.

I suppose I owe y'all an update here too. Since you saw me last I've nearly finished burning out the OEM tires on the S1000XR (8k miles out of a set of Bridgestone T30s, pretty good!). I bought a stupid autoluber which I haven't installed yet, stole a Fuzeblock from Motomind and installed that so my wife can have her heated vest while I run mine, and lubed the chain, wiped the bike down with WD40, and took it to drop off the busted up exhaust for the 1290. I still love the absolute poo poo out of the bike, it's all around wonderful. Only downside is the 1290 hasn't seen much use since I bought it because it's just so much more practical and usable. However, I anticipate doing some trackdays this year, and that'll be where the SD shines again. If all goes will this year, I'll probably end up customizing the SD to fit the wife through and through, and picking up a used RSV4 as a trackbike for giggles. Maybe a Tuono V4 if I feel particularly dumb.

The CBX has had no progress made due to work being busy, and me spending most of my time getting this other SuperDuke sorted out. But I should be finishing that up shortly, and then we're off to the races, loudly and obnoxiously.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Let me know when you get the CBX gas tank ready to go...I'm looking forward to that project :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Let me know when you get the CBX gas tank ready to go...I'm looking forward to that project :)

Oh I shall! I have not forgotten :)

Forgotten update: Also replaced the belts, radiator, and did an oil change on the old reliable truk. Here's to another 300,000 miles!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Maybe a Tuono V4 if I feel particularly dumb.

If this legit happens later on in the year, shoot me a PM and see if I'm done with my 2012 yet. I haven't ridden it nearly enough and it is everything I wanted when I bought it, but I saw a really nice Hypermotard 939 the other day and found myself wistfully looking at curbs, dirt, ramps, small animals, soccer balls, etc....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If this legit happens later on in the year, shoot me a PM and see if I'm done with my 2012 yet. I haven't ridden it nearly enough and it is everything I wanted when I bought it, but I saw a really nice Hypermotard 939 the other day and found myself wistfully looking at curbs, dirt, ramps, small animals, soccer balls, etc....

Will do!

I spent the day reassembling my friends 1290, it's now back together and I just need to give it a solid once over, clean it up, and snag a few parts for it and it'll be good to go. Parts are listed in the marketplace thread, and I'll list the bike soon :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whelp pretty sure the 1290 is sold...to a friend who wants me to do a supermoto conversion on it. The lord taketh away and the lord giveth! :getin:

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

Z3n posted:

Whelp pretty sure the 1290 is sold...to a friend who wants me to do a supermoto conversion on it. The lord taketh away and the lord giveth! :getin:

Praise be... glad it's gone, so I don't have to be tempted.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

1290 supermoto conversion :getin:

How is this even possible?! Not that I don't think this would be a blend of the two Best Things, I just don't understand how that would work. It's a naked standard, so that's like sumo converting an SV or something.
- How are you going to get the saddle seat going with huge tank?
-Doesn't the 1290 need that fat rear tire?
-Are you just tossing SMC forks on the front, giving it more upright bars, and more swingarm travel?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

How is this even possible?! Not that I don't think this would be a blend of the two Best Things, I just don't understand how that would work. It's a naked standard, so that's like sumo converting an SV or something.
- How are you going to get the saddle seat going with huge tank?
-Doesn't the 1290 need that fat rear tire?
-Are you just tossing SMC forks on the front, giving it more upright bars, and more swingarm travel?

Saddle seat probably isn't in the cards, but it doesn't particularly need to be. Think more 1290 Super Adventure/Supermoto than 690 SMC supermoto. Basically, add 3-5 inches of suspension travel front and rear, leave the 6 inch rear, and a new exhaust that the swingarm will clear. Add sliders, skid plate, and you've got a 160rwhp bike that'll also do jumps, stairs, curbs, and idiot gravel road blasting.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ktm-1290-super-duke-dirt-bike/

If he really wants to go nuts, rottweiler intake, welding up a new gas tank / adapting an SMC tank could be in the cards. But given the weight and geometry, you won't need the drastic body position changes to get the front end to stick like you do on a dirt super moto.

tarzanspuma posted:

Praise be... glad it's gone, so I don't have to be tempted.

Well it's not 100% yet! :v:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thought I had replied to this. oops

Even without the saddle, maybe even especially without the saddle, that 1290 SM is fantastically rad and I'm fully on board. Make sure it has handgaurds and a big dumb dirt fender and it will be awesome. That thing looks like a destroyer of worlds.

Please take lots of pictures of the conversion process. :f5:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

My buddy who I'm building the bike for released this today:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Q4tb33vLY

I'd imagine there will be some documentation of the process. The 1290 ADV-R Shock is on the way - just need to find a set of forks now :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah yes, see you goombas soon

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sometimes I justify having a project thread, today was one of those days.

The 1290 SM project is finally underway:

The 1190/1290 Adventure exhaust provides additional clearance so the swingarm can extend down a bit more:

All prepped and ready for 1190 Adventure-R shock install:

If you're into those weird German streetfighters with the curved up scorpion tails this will probably stir your nethers:

And here it is all put together with the ADV-R shock in place:

Going to need to cut down and reweld the exhaust a bit, and will probably try and set up the exhaust as an undertail to protect it from the slings and arrows of outrageous crashing. If everything works out ok, it looks like we'll end up with about 8 inches of rear travel and around 7 inches of front travel, with ~+1 inch of ground clearance, as well as that granted by the higher Adventure exhaust. More later :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Needs orange exocage

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Z3n posted:

My buddy who I'm building the bike for released this today:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Q4tb33vLY

I'd imagine there will be some documentation of the process. The 1290 ADV-R Shock is on the way - just need to find a set of forks now :)

What bike is that in the video?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

What bike is that in the video?

KTM 990 SM-R.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Z3n I just want to tell you I hate you for this thread. Now I really want a super duke because it seems like the perfect bike for me, but my poor self cannot afford it. THANKS ... now I'll go cry a little more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Z3n I just want to tell you I hate you for this thread. Now I really want a super duke because it seems like the perfect bike for me, but my poor self cannot afford it. THANKS ... now I'll go cry a little more.

Use it as motivation!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Use it as motivation!

Endless desire for motorcycles is the only reason I worked hard and made more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Me too. Only to find out I no longer have time to ride the fuckin things.

• Locked thread