Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
"A US critic who claimed that “women don’t get Goodfellas” has been at the centre of a Twitter storm after his article was published yesterday.

In a piece called Women are not capable of understanding GoodFellas, Kyle Smith, the New York Post’s chief film critic, refers to women as “the sensitivity police” who would disapprove of the “ball-busting” that takes place throughout Martin Scorsese’s gangster classic.

When the Sex and the City girls sit around at brunch, they’re a tightly knit clique – but their rule is to always be sympathetic and supportive as each describes her problems, usually revolving around the men in her life.

As GoodFellas shows us, guys hanging out together don’t really like to talk about the women in their lives because that’s too real. What we’d much rather do than discuss problems and “be supportive” is to keep the laughs coming – to endlessly bust each other’s balls."

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/11/women-not-capable-understanding-goodfellas-new-york-post-critic-kyle-smith?CMP=twt_gu

It seems to me that some women got their balls busted and can't deal with it, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
That's the same guy that gave Failure to Launch an almost perfect score

http://nypost.com/2006/03/10/baby-got-slack-mellow-matt-still-sexy-sarah-launch-laughs/

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Melmac posted:

That's the same guy that gave Failure to Launch an almost perfect score

Fugetaboutit

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Women really don't 'get' ball busting somehow.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
They do on the tv, but rarely in my personal experience.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Miltank posted:

Women really don't 'get' ball busting somehow.

Women don't really "get" sticking the mailman's head in an oven

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

I feel like this reviewer is one of those people who watches Fight Club and thinks project mayhem is a great idea.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Women will never understand why men who are best friends want to forge each other into weapons with the fires of their malice

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Zartosht posted:

I feel like this reviewer is one of those people who watches Fight Club and thinks project mayhem is a great idea.

It's homoerotic (no girls allowed)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Broads, why you gotta not get-a the film? Wussamattayoo?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
What would “GoodFellas” be like if it were told by a woman?

Meet an at-risk youth called Henry Hill. Victimized by horrific physical abuse from an early age, and traumatized by the responsibilities of caring for a handicapped brother, he fell prey to criminal elements in his rough East New York neighborhood in a time when social-services agencies were sadly lacking. At an impressionable age, he became desensitized to violence when a gunshot victim bled to death in front of a restaurant where he was working. His turn to the mafia was a cry for help — a need to find a family structure to replace the one he had never really known.

And who would want to watch that movie?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i think women are capable of understanding goodfellas

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Dumb miserable cunts just dont get it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i think women are capable of understanding goodfellas

Yes, but at what cost to the fragile male ego?

At what cost?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
no one really understands goodfellas

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
To be fair to women, goodfellas was a bad movie.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
:qq:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7566116

LMAO, that NY Post twink just got dunked on.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You can tell a woman wrote that piece since the irony levels are all over the place

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"Karen is arguably the main characterr in Goodfellas" - A woman, lol

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
danny devito is arguably the main character in goodfellas

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
im a girl and i enjoyed good fellas. leonardo dicapiro is hot

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
its good, its got the fellas, whats not to understand

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Women are the secret protagonists in that movie. :colbert:

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Women are too busy menstruating to understand the nuance of goodfellas

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
US critic who claimed that “men don’t get Sex and The City” has been at the centre of nothing whatsoever after her article was published yesterday.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

women aren't capable of understanding a lot of things. Things with balls. http://www.somethingawful.com/news/kyle-smith-goodfellas/

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Mr. Big is arguably the main character in Sex and the City

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Decebal posted:

Mr. Big is arguably the main character in Sex and the City

The early 90s glam rock band?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
lorraine bracco is the darth vader of that film, the brooding, damaged doting housewife who is cucked, the film is really about her, there's going to be 5 more if iirc

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I tried to watch Goodfellas and came down with hysteria, had the vapors for a week

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

i didnt understand all the gangster stuff but the dresses were nice

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

i also liked that there was a gardening scene

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure blacks don't get Scarface. They seem to always miss the part about what a shitbag Tony is and how he dies at the end.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the last time i wasthced the 'fellas, one of my testecles shurnk and dried out without explanation

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Angela Christine posted:

women aren't capable of understanding a lot of things. Things with balls. http://www.somethingawful.com/news/kyle-smith-goodfellas/

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

doesn't the post have editors anymore? it's such a badly written thing

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
This is a really good way for mediocre nobodies to get attention. Are you a moderately talented individual (politician/writer/scientist/actor) with little fame? Say or do something that will immediately get the ire of Team liberal left or Team conservative right (it doesn't matter which) and become a country (or even world) wide talking point. Sure, you'll alienate a great many people but it'll probably be a net gain.

Warning: Be sure to get your remarks or actions properly calibrated. You're aiming for 'talk of twitter' not 'resigned in disgrace'

Fairly passive fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 13, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The NY post costs 50 cents and is printed in a tabloid format for reasons.

E: Oh hey I guess it's a dollar.

raton fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Funny that this very attention-grabbing, polarizing screed was published in advance of a planned 25th anniversary re-release of Goodfellas. Suspicious, even.

• Locked thread