Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Hopefully they get in some great cameos. There are so many deadbeat or still baller ex pro-athletes (and their families) in this town that they'd really be missing out if they didn't make the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

physeter posted:

Hopefully they get in some great cameos. There are so many deadbeat or still baller ex pro-athletes (and their families) in this town that they'd really be missing out if they didn't make the effort.

It did seem that they would be going cameo heavy with so many in the pilot (Djax, Antonio Brown, Don Shula) but none in the second episode so it remains to be seen where they're going with that.

The show is actually using NFL team names and likenesses without league permission but its yet to be seen whether or not theyre going to get pissy about that though I doubt it unless we get deep into Playmakers territory. Hard Knocks is still starting in August as normal so i doubt it will get that serious for now.

EDIT:

Jon Do posted:

I figured it was his chick hiding money from him, but I can't remember if he's been shown to be single or not.

There was someone else in his bed in the pilot and with him at the movie theater. According to the wiki he's involved with an ESPN sideline reporter (not Arielle Kebbel's character) but she hasn't been introduced onscreen yet.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 1, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Cole posted:

That feeling he had when he found money in another bank account? Been there too. (But not with $3000 in a bank account. It was like $50 in a pair of pants I was about to wash.)

I figured it was his chick hiding money from him, but I can't remember if he's been shown to be single or not.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't relate to anyone with $3,000 in a bank account, gently caress this show.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

BlindSite posted:

Painkiller addiction is the worst kept secret in the NFL dude. Most of these guys are taking enough to kill a horse by the time their careers are over just to get through the day.

Just look at the wikipedia page for most pro-wrestlers from the 90s, half of them died from oxy/something similar OD

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh

Jon Do posted:

I'm thinking he learnt the business the hard way. Probably hosed over by a friend/financial adviser when he played and now he has these almost empty accounts he didn't even know about.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Marf Revus posted:

I'm thinking he learnt the business the hard way. Probably hosed over by a friend/financial adviser when he played and now he has these almost empty accounts he didn't even know about.

In the first episode didn't he tell his friend's agent that some financial adviser or whatever hosed him out of like $800k?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

In the first episode didn't he tell his friend's agent that some financial adviser or whatever hosed him out of like $800k?

Yeah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So far I like it. Low key, and not exactly incredible, but I like the actors and the dialogue is pretty competent. It seems to be intelligent so far.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Can someone explain what exactly Dwayne Johnson's job is in the series? I get that he wants players to sign their money over to him, but what do they get from it? And what does his firm get out of managing other peoples money?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Oasx posted:

And what does his firm get out of managing other peoples money?

They get paid, since managing money is what they do.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Oasx posted:

Can someone explain what exactly Dwayne Johnson's job is in the series? I get that he wants players to sign their money over to him, but what do they get from it? And what does his firm get out of managing other peoples money?

Financial management you invest their money for them in stocks, real estate, whatever, give them an allowance that covers their expenditure like mortgage, car leases, living expenses, and you take a commission. The bulk of their money isn't burned through and it grows (or some rear end in a top hat steals it all).

Also Rashad Mendenhall former pittsburgh steelers and arizona cardinals running back is a writer/assisstant on the show, to provide insight. I'm guessing this is like Entourage but a touch more serious. It can't be too far into the CTE poo poo or the NFL would pull the rights for them to use NFL team names. There was an ESPN show a while ago about profootballers that had the plug pulled because it showed drug use and domestic violence and even though it had nothing to do with the NFL the NFL nixed it really loving quick.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This show is a team that signs a top-rated QB to sell tickets and then doesn't bother getting him receivers or linemen so they don't go anywhere but still manage to fill the stadium seats each week.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its two eps in...

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Seriously. I like this show so far. I saw the trailers for it during Game of Thrones and it looked kinda interesting, so I checked it out solely for Dwayne Johnson. Good show. I actually feel interested in Spencer's, Charles's, and Ricky's stories. I, too, was kinda expecting Football Entourage when I started (never actually watched Entourage, though), but I'm glad it's got its own tone and feel. Will definitely keep watching.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I hope someone crashes a supercar this ep

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I got molly!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mother gently caress :golfclap:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The Duggler posted:

Mother gently caress :golfclap:

That's you

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Reggie is going to blackmail Spencer with those drat pics

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I JUST PUKED IN THE DINGEY

EDIT: AHAHAHA

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 6, 2015

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Wait, so far I like this dumb entourage show more than this season of True Detective

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

BlindSite posted:

Also Rashad Mendenhall former pittsburgh steelers and arizona cardinals running back is a writer/assisstant on the show, to provide insight. I'm guessing this is like Entourage but a touch more serious. It can't be too far into the CTE poo poo or the NFL would pull the rights for them to use NFL team names. There was an ESPN show a while ago about profootballers that had the plug pulled because it showed drug use and domestic violence and even though it had nothing to do with the NFL the NFL nixed it really loving quick.

This show does not have the rights to use NFL team names. The show exists in an area where HBO's lawyers believe permission is not legally required.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Golashes posted:

Wait, so far I like this dumb entourage show more than this season of True Detective

Season 3 of TD should have The Rock in it.

Also I've been on a party boat in Miami at night before and that's pretty much exactly how it goes, right down to the cocaine, drunk women stripping, and vomiting in places you shouldn't vomit in.

And all of it caught on cell phones, so chances are you're in for an unlucky surprise the next couple of days on social media.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
That punk friend is going to cost his all star friend a fuckload of money, but I imagine that's the point of having him in the show.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Golashes posted:

I had the same thought less than five minutes into the episode, and I kept having it until the end.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's doing *something* right - this thread's got three pages of discussion and "The Brink" still doesn't even have an OP yet. That's pretty impressive for a show that everyone should pretty much watch by default since it's on between this and John Oliver (even though Oliver was off this week).

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Reggie is as unlikable as Joffery

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Duggler posted:

Reggie is as unlikable as Joffery

Joffrey was at least watchable.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Rob Cordry was awesome this episode

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's doing *something* right - this thread's got three pages of discussion and "The Brink" still doesn't even have an OP yet. That's pretty impressive for a show that everyone should pretty much watch by default since it's on between this and John Oliver (even though Oliver was off this week).

The Brink is funny and that gym trainer has a huge penis.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Favorite moment was The Rock mouthing a bunch of poo poo talk across the party with a smile. "Hi Vern, your best friend's a douchebag. Last time you get a plus one. gently caress him."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kind of depressing because Brink has me laughing my rear end off.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is episode 3 any good because I fail to find any of this funny yet, also not enough Rob Corddry.

Like except for what's his face working at the Ford dealership and The Rock, I hate everybody on the show.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

1st AD posted:

Is episode 3 any good because I fail to find any of this funny yet, also not enough Rob Corddry.

Like except for what's his face working at the Ford dealership and The Rock, I hate everybody on the show.

Yeah, episode 3 was a lot better than 2 and had a lot more Rob Corddry. Brief synopsis, the Rock and Rob host a party on a yacht for clients and Rob parties hard.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Rob Corddry stole that episode. This is a great show and I love the Rock. I also think Vern is going to get blackmailed by Reggie because Reggie is just that much of an rear end in a top hat to do it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This show is like Entourage if it had long term stakes and consequences.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Philthy posted:

Kind of depressing because Brink has me laughing my rear end off.

Episode 3 of the Brink was legitimately funny and I hope the rest of the season can keep the same vibe going. Tim Robbins is killing it.

1st AD posted:

I think this show is supposed to be a dramedy but Rob Corddry is keeping the show as breezy as possible though. Episode 3 was good.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

I think this show is supposed to be a dramedy but Rob Corddry is keeping the show as breezy as possible though. Episode 3 was good.

I've never been a Corddry fan, but he's been great in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

3 episodes in and I just realized the Dolphins coach is not Ethan hawke

• Locked thread