Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

fishhooked posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how this impacts grocery stores on the KS side. Our closest grocery store is on the KS side at about 1mile away. We'll be going slightly further to the nearest grocery store in the MO side, you can bet most others are going to be doing the same.

what I'm vague on is what the KS sales tax on groceries/food was before. Was it 6.15% and had tax breaks for lower income kansans when they filed returns or was it literally 0% and will now be 6.5%? I should probably know this already...

The sad thing is that, even though I haven't lived in KCMO for 20+ years, as a little kid, it was super easy to tell when we were in Kansas versus Missouri. And we certainly did not live in any of the affluent areas. Northeast was, and certainly is now lower class.

I'm willing to bet that Price Chopper and the like will close various stores on the KS side if Kansans are going to MO for their shopping needs. Will Wal-mart also be impacted by this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

fishhooked posted:

what I'm vague on is what the KS sales tax on groceries/food was before. Was it 6.15% and had tax breaks for lower income kansans when they filed returns or was it literally 0% and will now be 6.5%? I should probably know this already...

I could go buy something now and check, but I think it's the same as anywhere else. And by that I mean 8 to 9%.

Edit: gently caress it, I'm going to buy something, I need to get out of the house.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The sales tax has always applied to food, part of brownback's original plan was to remove the tax from food items. Of course after they realized how much of a deficit there was in the budget that was quickly axed.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So in their pursuit of their ideal policies, they've completely wrecked the Kansas economy, and their solution is to drive people in KC to shop in the Missouri part, which will probably decrease the revenues they will earn from their tax hike, thereby proving their point about taxes. Which is probably an accidental outcome, let's be honest, they aren't that smart.

So after all the damage, they'll cut the sales tax, satisfied that they just made an ideological point, and be in an even worse situation. Of course, because they cannot fathom how a progressive income tax could actually raise money, they will completely miss the real problem.

Bravo Kansas.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So in their pursuit of their ideal policies, they've completely wrecked the Kansas economy, and their solution is to drive people in KC to shop in the Missouri part, which will probably decrease the revenues they will earn from their tax hike, thereby proving their point about taxes. Which is probably an accidental outcome, let's be honest, they aren't that smart.

So after all the damage, they'll cut the sales tax, satisfied that they just made an ideological point, and be in an even worse situation. Of course, because they cannot fathom how a progressive income tax could actually raise money, they will completely miss the real problem.

Bravo Kansas.

Well, there's a silver lining to all this. At least Missouri's economy will get a bump out of Brownback's shenanigans.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Bought 3.43 in stuff at a Price chopper, which came to 3.73, for a tax rate of 8.746%.

The items were:
Drinking water: .70
Snapple Diet Peach: 1.00
Tortillas: 1.00
Granny Smith apple: .73

There is no food discount for Sales Tax.

And the true fact under the Snapple Lid is (other than diet Peach snapple tastes like it came from someone's rear end): Before Thomas Jefferson took office people bowed to the President, rather than shaking his hand.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

fishhooked posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how this impacts grocery stores on the KS side. Our closest grocery store is on the KS side at about 1mile away. We'll be going slightly further to the nearest grocery store in the MO side, you can bet most others are going to be doing the same.

Kinda off topic, but it's a funny story: my family's all from KC (MO) and as such we visited there a lot. My favorite memory isn't Winstead's onion rings, barbecue, or anything like that: it was seeing a Hy-Vee on State Line Road that had the grocery part on the KS side (for "most of our shoppers come from JoCo" reasons) and the liquor part on the MO side (for "Missouri has absurdly liberal liquor laws, unlike Kansas" reasons).

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Radbot posted:

Wow, that Nation article was some delicious schadenfreude. Stupid, spiteful Americans that regard planning or saving for the future anathema to REAL MURICA getting their bitter just desserts.

Edit: Looks like I missed the part where we infantilize adults and pretend they are like refugees who cannot leave their situation

Literally the left-wing equivalent of those fuckers who yelled "Yeah!" when Ron Paul got asked if society should just let an uninsured man die

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
What you have to understand about Radbot is he is the flesh and blood personification of what a rabid right wing person thinks a liberal is like.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Anora posted:

Bought 3.43 in stuff at a Price chopper, which came to 3.73, for a tax rate of 8.746%.

The items were:
Drinking water: .70
Snapple Diet Peach: 1.00
Tortillas: 1.00
Granny Smith apple: .73

There is no food discount for Sales Tax.

And the true fact under the Snapple Lid is (other than diet Peach snapple tastes like it came from someone's rear end): Before Thomas Jefferson took office people bowed to the President, rather than shaking his hand.

It shouldn't surprise me after reading this thread but it blows my loving mind that there is a sales tax, let alone almost a 9% sales tax, on grocery items. What the gently caress man, that aint cool at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Literally the left-wing equivalent of those fuckers who yelled "Yeah!" when Ron Paul got asked if society should just let an uninsured man die

To be clear it's only the people who voted for Brownback I want to suffer here. I would support a program to resettle anyone who wants into blue states, and then to build a giant fence around Kansas to keep the Tea Party people in, complete with watchtowers, armed guards and dogs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DarkSol posted:

Well, guess who has to shoulder a lot of the new sales tax burden? KCKC, of course.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article24558076.html

And of course, Kansas businesses are worried. That difference in sales tax on food though. That's crazy! I wonder if chain groceries are going to pull out of Kansas en masse if Kansans start shopping across the border.

What will happen: Smaller chains will dry up and blow away.

....and get replaced by Wal Marts.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

To be clear it's only the people who voted for Brownback I want to suffer here. I would support a program to resettle anyone who wants into blue states, and then to build a giant fence around Kansas to keep the Tea Party people in, complete with watchtowers, armed guards and dogs

As a disabled person, I earnestly believe that we should treat all people, no matter how defective or broken, with a certain baseline of compassion
Although I share your hatred of them, I still cannot support such a proposal

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Part of being an adult is understanding that not everyone shares your preferences or tastes, and may want things that you don't want or like things that you don't like, and that's ok.

Some people may like living in Kansas despite whatever acute political issues they're having. That's ok. Not everyone is willing to sell their property, uproot their lives, and move to whatever hip city in the manner of a driftless twentysomething fresh out of college. That's ok.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

icantfindaname posted:

They'll have kids.

Also, people who we failed to educate well shouldn't be punished for being ignorant and dumb.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
If you legitimately want people to suffer because they voted for The Other Guy then you have the morals and political understanding of a child. The only people in Kansas who will suffer from the failed policies of Brownback are people who are essentially powerless in our political system. The people who have the real power will insulate themselves with money, as they always do, and their lives will probably become even more awesome. More importantly (at least for the purposes of D&D) if you believe this kind of dumb poo poo you are playing directly into their hands by directing your ire away from men like the Koch brothers and fantasizing about the misery of regular people just like you. Sadly it's a very effective strategy that helps maintain the status quo.

The big difference is that if you spend enough time thinking and talking about politics to post in this thread you absolutely should know better.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hobbesmaster posted:

Wait if I moved to Kansas I'd pay no state income tax on 1099 income so long as I create a LLC?

Pretty much, yeah. That's a big part of why the 2012 tax cuts caught all the tea party by surprise as far as projected vs actual revenue cuts went. Pretty much any law firm and private medical practice went from a standard business structure to being a collection of LLCs who happen to split rent on a building. Bonus points if they turned secretaries into independent contractors so that the lawyer/doctor/whatever alone is the only employee and had exactly 0 tax burden.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

Kinda off topic, but it's a funny story: my family's all from KC (MO) and as such we visited there a lot. My favorite memory isn't Winstead's onion rings, barbecue, or anything like that: it was seeing a Hy-Vee on State Line Road that had the grocery part on the KS side (for "most of our shoppers come from JoCo" reasons) and the liquor part on the MO side (for "Missouri has absurdly liberal liquor laws, unlike Kansas" reasons).
Hy-Vee Liquor is a very good liquor store oddly enough. Great deals, good selection, deep craft beer section. It reminds me of the Quik Trip they tore down and moved 15 feet east so they could sell booze. It's also the only counter clockwise QT I've seen, assuming that they flipped the floor plan so the liquor section is closest to MO.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbf if the US doesn't destroy neoliberalism within the next ten or so years then you'll eventually get a Republican president who'll enact Brownback levels of austerity on a federal basis and everyone'll be hosed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Venomous posted:

tbf if the US doesn't destroy neoliberalism within the next ten or so years then you'll eventually get a Republican president who'll enact Brownback levels of austerity on a federal basis and everyone'll be hosed

Nah, that would hurt big time business and that's a no-go.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Pretty much, yeah. That's a big part of why the 2012 tax cuts caught all the tea party by surprise as far as projected vs actual revenue cuts went. Pretty much any law firm and private medical practice went from a standard business structure to being a collection of LLCs who happen to split rent on a building. Bonus points if they turned secretaries into independent contractors so that the lawyer/doctor/whatever alone is the only employee and had exactly 0 tax burden.

Lets see here Kansas is 2.7% up to $15k and 4.8% above that. Since you can deduct what would be the employer's share of the FICA tax from income it seems like the break even point on self employed is relatively low?

Did any accountants look at this? :laugh:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

As a disabled person, I earnestly believe that we should treat all people, no matter how defective or broken, with a certain baseline of compassion
Although I share your hatred of them, I still cannot support such a proposal

I think Jeb is right and people like you should have more skin in the game so to speak.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

fits my needs posted:

I think Jeb is right and people like you should have more skin in the game so to speak.

I think you should crawl back into your IT hole

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

hobbesmaster posted:

Did any accountants look at this? :laugh:
No, but an economist did.

That economist?

Arthur Laffer :haw:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Maarek posted:

If you legitimately want people to suffer because they voted for The Other Guy then you have the morals and political understanding of a child. The only people in Kansas who will suffer from the failed policies of Brownback are people who are essentially powerless in our political system. The people who have the real power will insulate themselves with money, as they always do, and their lives will probably become even more awesome. More importantly (at least for the purposes of D&D) if you believe this kind of dumb poo poo you are playing directly into their hands by directing your ire away from men like the Koch brothers and fantasizing about the misery of regular people just like you. Sadly it's a very effective strategy that helps maintain the status quo.

The big difference is that if you spend enough time thinking and talking about politics to post in this thread you absolutely should know better.

Pretty sure Republicans wouldn't get elected if "regular people" stopped voting for them.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I think you should crawl back into your IT hole

I don't work in IT. I guess you can go back to pretending to be an anime Orc or whatever it is you do with your friends?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Series DD Funding posted:

Pretty sure Republicans wouldn't get elected if "regular people" stopped voting for them.

Yes, but the schadenfreude is indicative of a mindset that views all of this in the context of team sports rather than that of a person trying to make the world a better place.

Brownback's Democratic challenger got 46% of the vote. Do those people deserve to suffer too? How about their children?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

fits my needs posted:

I don't work in IT.

I don't believe you

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Brave New World posted:

Yes, but the schadenfreude is indicative of a mindset that views all of this in the context of team sports rather than that of a person trying to make the world a better place.

Brownback's Democratic challenger got 46% of the vote. Do those people deserve to suffer too? How about their children?

No, and people in this thread have repeatedly said that even if they are happy to see Republican voters reap what they sow, they don't think it's fair that every who voted otherwise/couldn't vote should?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Brave New World posted:

No one has stated that everyone in Kansas deserves to suffer.

People are mixed on whether republican voter's suffering should be enjoyed.

Everyone hates Brownback.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

Troy Queef posted:

This is exactly the store I was referencing. The other lovely thing to the ks sales tax increase is it further reduces municipalities/school district s ability to raise their own. It's already hard to get the voters to fund a local school or CIP program as it is, now it'll be impossible.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Part of being an adult is understanding that not everyone shares your preferences or tastes, and may want things that you don't want or like things that you don't like, and that's ok.

Some people may like living in Kansas despite whatever acute political issues they're having. That's ok. Not everyone is willing to sell their property, uproot their lives, and move to whatever hip city in the manner of a driftless twentysomething fresh out of college. That's ok.

Would having to deal with the consequences of your choices also be part of being an adult? As adults they voted for people who are burning their states economy at the altar of Grover Norquist. As adults they shouldn't have to deal with the outcome of their adult choices? If the federal government offered to help fix their poo poo and they told them to gently caress off, do we now get to say "Fine, you wanted this bed so sleep in it"?

And because it's become necessary: the people who voted for republicans since D&D is rapidly turning into straw land. Pretty much everyone agrees the rest should not have to suffer and I would have no problem with a program to help people relocate but the ones who want to stay while I wish they didn't have to suffer chose to do so. A common thought is addicts have to hit rock bottom before they realize they need help. Let them hit the bottom they wanted to hit. Maybe they'll change their minds, maybe they'll enjoy wallowing in their misery, either way they chose to be there.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Take in mind that 46% that didn't vote for him is actually telling, as it should have been a much smaller number in this red state. The KC star was actually really surprised he wasn't seeing much higher approval, and thought that it might tell him to stop being so... Brownback.

I also need to look into the Streetcar thing in KCK, as I remember it getting voted down by the people, but one of the Government officials (maybe the mayor) said something to the effect of "I don't care if the people don't like it, it's going in." Which kind of feels like a weird Microcosm of the state's issues.

Edit: Streetcar is in KCMO, not KCK.

Anora fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 18, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Toasticle posted:

Would having to deal with the consequences of your choices also be part of being an adult? As adults they voted for people who are burning their states economy at the altar of Grover Norquist. As adults they shouldn't have to deal with the outcome of their adult choices? If the federal government offered to help fix their poo poo and they told them to gently caress off, do we now get to say "Fine, you wanted this bed so sleep in it"?

And because it's become necessary: the people who voted for republicans since D&D is rapidly turning into straw land. Pretty much everyone agrees the rest should not have to suffer and I would have no problem with a program to help people relocate but the ones who want to stay while I wish they didn't have to suffer chose to do so. A common thought is addicts have to hit rock bottom before they realize they need help. Let them hit the bottom they wanted to hit. Maybe they'll change their minds, maybe they'll enjoy wallowing in their misery, either way they chose to be there.

This is still a pretty wretched position to take

Children should not suffer because their parents are horrible idiots

It shouldn't be true for anti-vaxxers, it shouldn't be true for Kansans.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

"I know better than you" is exactly a major criticism of liberals from conservatives. I wish it were different but I'm not going to pretend I'm right and get to enforce what I think is best on other people. Except for the anti-vaxxers, they are risking other people's lives, for me that's the line. If you want to wallow in filth that's your choice but risking infecting other people and possibly causing an epidemic, no.

I also wish those kids had access to better... Well. Everything. But if we want to pretend that people get to have opinions and rights we don't agree with unless there is actual abuse not educating your kids is not something you get to force on someone. Hopefully they can escape when they turn 18 but before that, again barring abuse or neglect, people get to raise their kids the way they think is best no matter how much I hate it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
As someone who actually works for a Kansas School district (as an IT guy, I'm technically admin staff but I'm in classrooms enough to hear how teachers are feeling) I can say so far we haven't had to start firing staff or ending the school year early yet, though another round of budget cuts and we might have to start.

Right now we are floating our fully staffed personnel costs by cutting school expense accounts and by extension teacher classroom accounts. The school provides some money to teachers to buy necessary school supplies (glue, art supplies, ect) and that's down to $100 per teacher for the entire school year. When you have a class of 20 this is generally enough for 1 art project. This effectively means that teachers are buying glue sticks and watercolor paint and glitter and whatnot out of their own personal paychecks because they are desperately holding onto that classroom budget for more immediate emergencies. This also means field trips are out and basically any extra-curricular that isn't a sport and costs money to run is getting slashed.

The district provided iPad carts to pretty much every elementary classroom that were bought before poo poo hit the fan, but for the time being we only load free apps on there. Tech doesn't have the budget to buy iPad apps and any purchases have to be done with approval of the principal out of the specific school's expense account. What this means almost every time is that the Principal will only approve it if it comes out of said teacher's pittance of a classroom budget which 99% of the time means we can't do poo poo with it because the classroom budget is already spent or being saved for more important things.

Our High School provided laptops for students on a 1 to 1 basis to ensure they can work at home for the last 10 years. This last year we had to decide to update curriculum books or do a technology refresh to get the old and busted devices out and get a run of chromebooks for the kids. School board opted for the technology over curriculum so now they have up to date laptops to work based off of a 12 year old curriculum book.

I will say this, compared to my girlfriend's job at the Larned State Hospital (Effectively a mental hospital for the criminally insane), my school's problems are a breeze. The state hospital is understaffed by a factor of about half of it's total personnel capacity. The turnover their is higher than they can get people in because of the working conditions. Because of the understaffed problem, employees are literally doing the work of two people and are specifically told there is no overtime to be had so they have to cram it all in a 40 hour work week. Because of this, there is a wink-wink nudge-nudge attitude of "Stay late unpaid and get your work done or leave on time and have poo poo snowball on you". If you get caught by your boss staying late you get written up. This is one of the only places in the area that pays livable wages though, so you have to put up with the bullshit or move (of which she is working on doing to be closer to me, but that's neither here nor there).

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 18, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Well, maybe. But there's always a bigger picture. Brownback was once considered a potential presidential contender by no less than Grover Norquist:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/371839/brownback-2016-norquist-bets-kansas-gov-betsy-woodruff

National Review, Feb 24, 2014 posted:

Norquist tells National Review Online that Brownback is strategically positioned for a 2016 presidential bid, and that he’ll be a competitive candidate . . . if he decides to run...

One thing Norquist likes: Brownback’s politically aggressive governorship. When he won the governorship in 2010, Brownback inherited a state legislature composed of what Norquist calls a conservative House and a Republican-but-insufficiently-conservative Senate. “On bedrock economic issues, they sucked,” said Norquist, author of ATR’s Taxpayer Protection Pledge and 2013 winner of the Improv and Comedy Club’s annual “D.C.’s Funniest Celebrity” award.

So Brownback took an unusual step: He worked to primary eleven senate Republicans who weren’t on board with his agenda — a politically risky move that paid off in spades. Nine of those eleven incumbent state senators lost their primaries. And all nine Brownback-backed primary winners went on to win their general elections...

That tough political move gave the governor a like-minded state house which, in turn, sets him up to enter 2015 with a slew of conservative accomplishments that could distinguish him from other red-state governors. While the agendas of GOP governors in other red states have been crippled by state legislatures dominated by less-than-conservative Republicans, Brownback can show a host of tax cuts as well as a state law protecting Kansans from infringements of their right to bear arms.

No one wishes ill on Kansans or their children. But we'd be very happy to see shitbirds like Brownback fall flat on their face in failure before infecting the rest of the country with their lunatic ideals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Toasticle posted:

Yes, obviously, the solution to a badly educated populace voting for the Koch-financed Tea Party is to stand back and let the Koch's further corrupt and destroy the education system, that should fix things right up in a jiffy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, before you all evacuate Kansas, go see the collection of Chinese and Asian art at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City. It's genuinely amazing. Then move to a blue state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, before you all evacuate Kansas, go see the collection of Chinese and Asian art at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City. It's genuinely amazing. Then move to a blue state.

NAM is in missourah

• Locked thread