Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, before you all evacuate Kansas, go see the collection of Chinese and Asian art at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City. It's genuinely amazing. Then move to a blue state.

See above, NAM is Misery.

If you want a tried and true Kansas attraction, go to the Cosmosphere. The museum there is legit great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fishhooked posted:

NAM is in missourah

Obviously, it's not like anyone puts something in KC KS when they can put it in KC MO. Still, you'll want to check it out before making your way to a blue state.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Agronox posted:

Well, maybe. But there's always a bigger picture. Brownback was once considered a potential presidential contender by no less than Grover Norquist:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/371839/brownback-2016-norquist-bets-kansas-gov-betsy-woodruff

No one wishes ill on Kansans or their children. But we'd be very happy to see shitbirds like Brownback fall flat on their face in failure before infecting the rest of the country with their lunatic ideals.

That's amazing. He specifically systematically cleansed the legislature of all but its craziest Republicans.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a difficult subject, because important aspects of being a progressive liberal (in my opinion) is understanding, forgiveness, and championing the downtrodden (even if they have been convinced to vote against their best interests). But on the other hand.....it's reeeeeeeaally satisfying to watch a free market True Believer (instead of just being a corporatist shill) go full-hog Free Market gently caress Gubmint Yay Job Creators and see it fall so completely on its face. On top of taking Arthur Laffer with him!

what i'm trying to say is, i feel bad for kansas citizens, but i am not going to stop printing out kansas deficit articles and rubbing them against my nude form.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

It's a difficult subject, because important aspects of being a progressive liberal (in my opinion) is understanding, forgiveness, and championing the downtrodden (even if they have been convinced to vote against their best interests). But on the other hand.....it's reeeeeeeaally satisfying to watch a free market True Believer (instead of just being a corporatist shill) go full-hog Free Market gently caress Gubmint Yay Job Creators and see it fall so completely on its face. On top of taking Arthur Laffer with him!

what i'm trying to say is, i feel bad for kansas citizens, but i am not going to stop printing out kansas deficit articles and rubbing them against my nude form.

Honestly the fact that you can feel bad for Kansas citizens already puts you ahead of folks like Radbot

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Honestly the fact that you can feel bad for Kansas citizens already puts you ahead of folks like Radbot

What is it like not being able to understand the difference between "Kansas citizens" and "people who voted for Brownback". It's possible to simultaneously feel pity for those negatively affected by policy decisions of their own and relish in the pleasure of witnessing a bunch of idiots get what they had coming.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

down with slavery posted:

What is it like not being able to understand the difference between "Kansas citizens" and "people who voted for Brownback". It's possible to simultaneously feel pity for those negatively affected by policy decisions of their own and relish in the pleasure of witnessing a bunch of idiots get what they had coming.

I don't think you grasp that I do understand the difference, and think they're both lovely views held by lovely people who care more about their team winning than reducing human suffering

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So here's an interesting counterpoint to the Kansas situation: North Carolina also instituted dramatic tax cuts, but saw revenue increase and unemployment decrease. NC's former budget director Art Pope argued that the difference is due to the fact that “we cut spending too. Kansas didn’t."

Anyone else have any insight on this situation? One commentor on that article claims that the idea of there being a "tax cut" is actually very misleading, as NC also eliminated many deductions in their tax plans. So when taken together, the net amount of tax paid increased for most North Carolinans. Is this correct?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It was actually a tax increase. :ssh:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

I don't think you grasp that I do understand the difference, and think they're both lovely views held by lovely people who care more about their team winning than reducing human suffering

You care a lot more about scolding people for enjoying the schadenfreude of a Republican state government blowing its own foot off than actually discussing anything.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Wulfolme posted:

You care a lot more about scolding people for enjoying the schadenfreude of a Republican state government blowing its own foot off than actually discussing anything.

If there's one thing I hate more than Republicans, it's bronies.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

What team is that exactly? :allears:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fishhooked posted:

NAM is in missourah

That makes sense, it's a public museum

Still go anyway it really is an amazing collection.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

What team is that exactly? :allears:

Team lovely liberal assholes who make the rest of us look bad

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

im not a liberal, hth

maybe it's YOU that buys into team politics so hard that it ruins your ability to enjoy perfectly good entertainment

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm pretty sure at least one school district in Kansas closed down early, or was on the verge of doing it but then pulled some bullshit with "deferred" (never gonna pay) days for hourly staff and reduced school hours so that they very technically met the federal requirement for the school year without completely loving their budgets.

On the other hand, more than one district completely cut continuing education, i.e., summer school. Apart from the fact that this is especially illegal when it comes to kids with special education plans that require summer school, it also caused a huge clusterfuck for my wife's master class practicum because they had to scramble to find a loving class room to actually teach in since so many summer programs were shut down.

That said, the Cosmosphere is legit cool and you should visit if you get the chance. The salt mine tour nearby is also very cool. There's also a neat little town full of descendants of Swedish immigrants, Lindsborg, about an hour out from Hutchinson. They have a bunch of cool little art shops full of dala horses and some awesome Swedish cuisine.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

It was actually a tax increase. :ssh:

Elaborate, please?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

im not a liberal, hth

maybe it's YOU that buys into team politics so hard that it ruins your ability to enjoy perfectly good entertainment

Oh man, I didn't recognize you from the Min Wage thread

Sorry for misidentifying you, I should have realized you were on team Delusional Shithead

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Could we please refocus on the dumbness of state legislatures instead of goons? We have so many other threads for that other thing.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Your image of being above an emotional response to the policies you oppose failing spectacularly is a lie. Some of us don't care to join in that lie. When people are saying that we shouldn't help Kansas because it was their own drat fault will be the time to bitch about team politics overriding reason. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the show. I'll probably even make some jokes about it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Oh man, I didn't recognize you from the Min Wage thread

Sorry for misidentifying you, I should have realized you were on team Delusional Shithead

Ahh yes, a liberal who accuses me of being a "delusional shithead" because I have the gall to support raising the minimum wage. Go team blue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

When people are saying that we shouldn't help Kansas because it was their own drat fault will be the time to bitch about team politics overriding reason.

People are saying that. In this very thread.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Ahh yes, a liberal who accuses me of being a "delusional shithead" because I have the gall to support raising the minimum wage. Go team blue.

I'm not even a liberal, lol

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

I'm not even a liberal, lol

You're a real peach.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

People are saying that. In this very thread.

When there's a bill on the federal level to send funds to Kansas is when the decision to help or not help will be made. Until then someone saying they hope it all burns down is farts in the wind.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Ha, thought I put "them"

Nah, I'm a significantly to the left of liberals

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Wulfolme posted:

When there's a bill on the federal level to send funds to Kansas is when the decision to help or not help will be made. Until then someone saying they hope it all burns down is farts in the wind.

There was. They turned down Obamacare money.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ha, thought I put "them"

Nah, I'm a significantly to the left of liberals

Oh for gently caress's sake. Just stop.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Elaborate, please?
they hosed with the state income taxes and literally everyone ive talekd to about it got a much smaller refund or had to pay more than nc withheld

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Whats amazing about SC is that they convinced everyone it was a tax cut when everyone instead paid more taxes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wulfolme posted:

Your image of being above an emotional response to the policies you oppose failing spectacularly is a lie. Some of us don't care to join in that lie. When people are saying that we shouldn't help Kansas because it was their own drat fault will be the time to bitch about team politics overriding reason. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the show. I'll probably even make some jokes about it.

so you're just going to gleefully indulge in being a shithead

well at least you're honest

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i too enjoy thinking about strangers suffering and dying

have you heard the one about the famine-stricken ethiopian? get this... he died! ha! ha!

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

VitalSigns posted:

Yes, obviously, the solution to a badly educated populace voting for the Koch-financed Tea Party is to stand back and let the Koch's further corrupt and destroy the education system, that should fix things right up in a jiffy.

Luckily we liberals are smarter then them uneducated brainwashed hicks. This will not in any way cause them to triple down on the idea that liberals want to force their views on them and do not respect the idea that states get to govern themselves as they see fit (as long as they do not violate federal laws). They won. Aside from voter suppression that while I'm willing to bet happened it has not been proven so until something can be proven they are the legally elected legislature of Kansas. We love to make fun of them clinging to the constitution while not understanding it out of one side of our mouths while declaring that their legally elected government is invalid because we just know it is, if they were smart like us they wouldn't have let the Koch brothers brainwash them obviously.

I don't like it. I think they are not only loving themselves over but loving over people who do not deserve it. But aside from overriding their elections and ensuring a republican controlled federal government for the next three generations as a result sorry but tough poo poo. They got elected, they get to make the rules no matter how odious you, I or anyone else thinks they are. But keep continuing to insinuate they were uneducated and brainwashed because the idea that maybe they actually agree with the Koch brothers isn't possible. People vote in ways you may disagree with. Wisconsin re-elected Walker in the recall for what I think are stupid reasons (They didn't like how it was done so Governer sleepy baby gets to keep his job) and I think they hosed themselves hard in doing so and while WI isn't nearly the shithole Kansas is (yet anyway) we don't talk about the uneducated brainwashed dems in WI who voted to keep that sociopath in office.

You don't have to like it but again its exactly what conservatives and tea-partiers rightly accuse liberals of. We are smarter, we know better, the only way they got elected to anything was by cheating. While I agree with the cheating part its useless until proven.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
double post

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i too enjoy thinking about strangers suffering and dying

if the strangers are idiot assholes doing it to themselves I'm ok with it tbqh

forgive me morality police

serious question, how do you feel about the Darwin awards website?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Not asked of me, but I remember enjoying the Darwin awards for a while ages ago until at one point it was discovered that one of the people killed in one story was suffering from a serious mental disability. After that I realized it's a pretty lovely thing. I didn't know the Darwin awards still exist.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i liked them back when i was twelve and thought laughing at human misery was a cool and edgy thing to do

i'm not policing you, i'm just pointing out that you're poo poo and you don't like that. not my problem if you get upset when i correctly identify your behavior as immature and disgusting

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats amazing about SC is that they convinced everyone it was a tax cut when everyone instead paid more taxes.
we were discussing nc, where as i recall only the republicans in raliegh acted like it was a tax cut and everybody got the shaft.
idk just how bad it will bite them in the rear end come election time but a wide range of people are dissatisfied with the republican state govt so hopefully the anger will keep the state purple

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i liked them back when i was twelve and thought laughing at human misery was a cool and edgy thing to do

i'm not policing you, i'm just pointing out that you're poo poo and you don't like that. not my problem if you get upset when i correctly identify your behavior as immature and disgusting

Your last three posts have been talking down to people about their worth as human beings, rephrasings of the idea "You are a bad person and I am better than you." If you're going to worry so much about signalling goodness you should watch out for slipping into signalling superiority.

- - -

I wonder if after the extra StoopidSeshun cost Kansas $3 million they didn't have, they'll float the idea of changing to Texas' system where state representative is a volunteer job. This would be a great opportunity to wedge something like that in, and there's no better way to keep everyone out of the statehouse that isn't independently wealthy or fully funded by an outside interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

we were discussing nc, where as i recall only the republicans in raliegh acted like it was a tax cut and everybody got the shaft.
idk just how bad it will bite them in the rear end come election time but a wide range of people are dissatisfied with the republican state govt so hopefully the anger will keep the state purple
I'll do my part.

Toasticle posted:

Luckily we liberals are smarter then them uneducated brainwashed hicks.
"Than." Nice way to ruin your rant in the first sentence.

• Locked thread