Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

SweetKarma posted:

Have you told him that you have trouble understanding what he's telling you?

Daily. Usually he'll just repeat the sentence along with some vague finger pointing. That gets the point across like 50% of the time. Or he just takes the work out of my hands and does it for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Archer666 posted:

Daily. Usually he'll just repeat the sentence along with some vague finger pointing. That gets the point across like 50% of the time. Or he just takes the work out of my hands and does it for himself.

Does he have a supervisor or is it his company? I'd tell the supervisor that you really enjoy working with him (lie), but you're having some trouble understanding what he's teaching you.

Lego Stormtrooper
Jul 29, 2008
I read your thread.

Now my day is lovely from reading it.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Lego Stormtrooper posted:

I read your thread.

Now my day is lovely from reading it.

Misery loves company.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I called the guy back when I was drunk (yep). I told him I felt really bad about damaging his property and that normally I would get out of the truck and look before backing but I was kind of nervous so I made a mistake. I told him that I would be willing to take cuts on my paycheck in order to pay back the damage. He said he's got like 2 other guys applying for the job and one of them is giving him poo poo about health benefits so he is going to at least keep me in mind. I think I think I nailed it.

Begging for a job while drunk - possibly the best idea ever. What else do you have to lose?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
your dignity

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

I took a nap yesterday and overslept, I woke up at 2:00am today and couldn't go back to sleep. Then I had a mini marathon of Orange is the new Black until I drifted off to sleep at around 8:00am.

Now I am at work and my whole sleep schedule is hosed.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i got bit by a skeeter and it itches like heck!

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SweetKarma posted:

I called the guy back when I was drunk (yep). I told him I felt really bad about damaging his property and that normally I would get out of the truck and look before backing but I was kind of nervous so I made a mistake. I told him that I would be willing to take cuts on my paycheck in order to pay back the damage. He said he's got like 2 other guys applying for the job and one of them is giving him poo poo about health benefits so he is going to at least keep me in mind. I think I think I nailed it.

Begging for a job while drunk - possibly the best idea ever. What else do you have to lose?

Well he probably couldnt tell you were drunk over the phone and its a trucking company so im pretty sure they are all drunks and meth heads you will fit right in.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
what's your cb handle OP?

im dirtydriver

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Daedra posted:

what's your cb handle OP?

im dirtydriver

I'm guywhobegsforshittyjobs

Maybe we shall meet on the road some day.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Stoic Commie posted:

your dignity

That died when I decided to go to trucking school.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
:capitalism:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
sounds like you arent qualified for that job, OP!

i got drunk, grilled some buffalo chicken sausages for lunch, built a small retaining wall (got alil sunburnt), mowed the lawn, cleaned my car, took a nap, showered, waiting for a guy to call about a car im looking at, gonna grill some filets and boil some crablegs later....all while completely shitfaced drunk.

glad i didnt try to drive a loving 53' semi around like a loving shithead. cheers, OP!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

dad gay. so what posted:

sounds like you arent qualified for that job, OP!

i got drunk, grilled some buffalo chicken sausages for lunch, built a small retaining wall (got alil sunburnt), mowed the lawn, cleaned my car, took a nap, showered, waiting for a guy to call about a car im looking at, gonna grill some filets and boil some crablegs later....all while completely shitfaced drunk.

glad i didnt try to drive a loving 53' semi around like a loving shithead. cheers, OP!

How about this...

You're in LA. It's 2:00AM. You have a pending load assignment for Redding, CA. No problem, I'll just drop this load off here in LA and be on my marry way. It takes you 2 hours to get there because of traffic. UH-OH It's a Sunday and the customer doesn't accept loads on Sundays so you have to turn your rear end around, find a place to park a 73' vehicle and call your DM. This takes 30 minutes. You've now got 2.5 hours on your time clock. This gives you minimum 5.5 hrs before you have to pull over for a 30 min lunch break (DOT regulations). No problem. Plenty of time. You call your DM. You get put on hold for 10 minutes. You hang up and call again, you get put on hold for 10 minutes. You call again, you get put on hold again. You've wasted 30 minutes, time is running thin. You say gently caress-this-gay-rear end-earth and decide to drive the loaded trailer to the nearest yard 30 miles away. You drop the trailer as a relay and pick up a new empty trailer so you can get moving on your next load. Another however many hrs. wasted. You can't afford to go over time so you take your mandatory lunch break at the yard. The clock resets, you've got someting like 4 hours to get from LA to Redding. You head out of the yard. SORRY!!!! you have not been assigned to take this trailer from the yard, let us contact your DM. I loving TRIED TO CONTACT MY DM I WANT YOU TO DIE AND BURN IN A FIRE!

Your load is late and there goes your bonus. Welcome to trucking.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Trucking sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, time management wise

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just did 8hrs of overtime sitting in a brand new SUV driving around the grounds blasting stoner-rock music, drinking coffe, & talking to cute college girls doing a charity car-wash.

Oh & I made over $400 for giving up half a Saturday. Go-go union Powah!!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

ROFLburger posted:

Trucking sounds like a huge pain in the rear end, time management wise

It really is a pain in the rear end. In trucking school and during company orientation they teach you how to trip plan and manage your time, but this is only assuming everything goes according to plan. Trucks break down, traffic jams, weather, retarded DM's, retarded HR people, your GPS decides to crap out, you get stuck in a ditch.. Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong. This is why I have so much respect for truckers who have been doing this for so long.

I was hauling a new great dane trailer when one of the brake chambers decided to malfunction and the rear passenger trailer brakes locked up. Luckily there was another trucker behind me who blew his horn and warned me about what was happening before the whole rear axle caught fire. I pulled over, called mechanical, and they told me, and I quote, "Oh, yeah, we knew those break chambers were having problems, they've actually been recently recalled. The mechanic is going to bring yours in to see if they can figure out what the problem is."

WTF? Why would you have me driving in a defective vehicle if you knew about it?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
and you didn't call a lawyer, wow!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I just drove 450 miles and it was 8 hours of torturous bored and misery. How the gently caress can anyone want to be a trucker? Do you just listen to podcasts and talk radio all day?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Stoic Commie posted:

This was my 6th day on the job. I figured it was just bad luck. Also, the mexican guy who fixed it was really cool.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
i am changing medications and will likely have constant headaches, nausea, and insomnia for at least the next month if not the rest of my life

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Stoic Commie posted:

Are you a truck driver? I think I remember you posting on another trucking thread.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Not trying to hate or anything, I just know you were/once were a truck driver and I'm curious about your experiences. You don't have to say anything specific, just share your experience and stuff. Because trucking has been loving awful for me so far.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i have driven a truck but i've never been a truck driver

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

$5000/mo home every week

:confused:

ROFLburger posted:

I just drove 450 miles and it was 8 hours of torturous bored and misery. How the gently caress can anyone want to be a trucker? Do you just listen to podcasts and talk radio all day?

I like driving on road trips. Weed, snacks, good music/podcasts/whatever to listen to. If you have a good friend with you, you can have some good conversations.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 14, 2015

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Have you considered good humor truck route ?

Do those even still exist anywhere?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
friends of the road

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

SweetKarma posted:

What the gently caress does "like 2 other guys" even mean? Is it two? Is one other guy "like" two other guys? Two is not really a number that requires estimation.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
i had off today since i work a real job; so i finished the book i was reading (everything that rises must converge, flannery o'conner), and played some piano. Am now chillin on some bourbon and kief to chill me into monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Trucking / truckers are terrible

anywhos

• Locked thread