Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The battle was lost as soon as Kakii got there really. As a popular idol/show star he seems to like being in the spotlight and giving the fans what they want.

Now the war begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, for all the complaints about the translation, changing that line to "Thank goodness she's gone" was a good move. Because my god, I can't help but agree with Tendo there. What an annoying brat. And I can only imagine she'd be even more annoying if the translation wasn't terrible and actually kept her weird way of talking instead of just randomly mentioning it.

Also with these choices I'd rather stay single, but since we can't let Tendo do that, Aoshima keeps looking better. At least she's more realistic, Hoshi's just weird. That wasn't Kakkii's girlfriend, that's a stalker.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, Tendo was about to go talk to Suzu about his Kakkii situation...

Oh, you already know about that?
Florence-san has already begun spreading the story around.
I am very sorry.
No point in fretting about it now. Learn a lesson from it.
Yes I will...

Well, that wasn't so bad. Suzu continues to be as sensible as ever.

Let's go and see how Ueto is doing... maybe she will again try to pretend that she is not all aflutter about Kakkii being around.

No, I haven't... Isn't he in his room?
I went there, but he's not in. Maybe in the bathroom?
What a pain. Maybe he went out by himself again... Is it important?
No, nothing special.

You told your friend about Kagayaki-san?

Then how does your friend know?

Oh... Sorry! I'm a bit nervous about Kagayaki-san.

Well... Ok, I'll get his autograph for you, all right?

Received: Autograph Paper!

Note a really funny translation error here, although you may miss it if you are not reading carefully! The title says "Coloured Autograph Paper", but the text says that the paper is "snow-white". Although this is completely unimportant for the plot, it does show how little effort was expended for the translation. Japanese expression used here (色紙) can mean both "coloured paper" and "fancy paper" (it's pronounced differently in either case). Since the paper is "snow-white" then it's clearly intended in its second meaning, but as usual, nobody cared enough to even look it up. So the title should actually be "Fancy Autograph Paper".

But where did Kagayaki-san go? I'll have to go and look for him.
(Where did Kagayaki-san go this time? I'll have to bring him back soon, if something happens I'll be in trouble.)

Let's first head over to the reception. The game does not indicate there's anybody there, but...

Wow check out that storm!

bone!

You should get out of those wet clothes right away.
Darn it... the spare set of clothes I brought is wet too... What rotten luck...

I assume you can guess where this is heading...

Let's go over to the Gymnasium... Hoshi is there and maybe she's seen Kakkii.

It's nice that the game adjusts the background picture depending on the weather!

I don't like it when it's damp out.

the courtyard.

Eh? Kagayaki-san went out?

As doctors/nurses, you should probably know that cold is a virus, so being in the rain isn't really going to make you catch it...

(I'm sure there was an umbrella in the night duty room.)

We'll skip the part with Tendo going over to get the umbrella, since it's just busywork and he doesn't run into anybody on the way.

Received: Umbrella!

Even the game can't muster any excitement about THE UMBRELLA!!

Anyway, courtyard it is.

(There he is!)

It's not good timing! How many times have I asked you not to wander around? What would happen if somebody found you out here? I'd be thoroughly reprimanded if not fired.

Incidentally, it's a Welsh Corgi, the same kind of dog as in Cowboy Bebop.

A dog? Where did he come from?
He was just sitting here. When he saw me he wagged his tail! He's clearly a fan!
Now he's wagging his tail for me, so he must be a fan of mine too!
He looks cold, so I was thinking about taking him in. As you can see it's raining.
It's against hospital policy to keep animals inside.

Don't look at me like that... Kagayaki-san, this weather is not good for your health. Please come back in.

Apparently he was in the backyard. It was raining so we brought him in.
But animals aren't allowed in the hospital.
I'll keep him in my room then.
Your room is in the hospital, Kagayaki-san.
So what?
It's going to be a problem.
Oh yeah. His name is "Cookie". What do you think?
Cookie?

This joke doesn't really work so well in English. In Japanese version, the dog's name is spelled Kukkii (クッキー) so it only differs in one letter from Kakkii, hence the comment above from Kakkii.

All right, leave Cookie here with me and go back to your room.

gone.

But animals aren't allowed in the hospital!

your lobby!

Note taken: Kagayaki Chikara's selfishness!

I get it. Please go back to your room now.
You promise?
It's a promise.

now?)

What should I do? If I throw him out, I don't know what Kagayaki-san might do.

Oh well, let's go talk to Aoshima, she's been rather sensible of late, so she might have an idea...?

Kagayaki-san brought him in. Do you like dogs, Aoshima-san?
Who wouldn't love this sweet little guy? What's his name?
Cookie.
Cookie, that's a cute name!
But we can't keep him in the hospital, so now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I should probably go and see Suzu-sensei.
Suzu-sensei has gone home already.
Oh, so what should I do?

Sawai.

Note taken: Aoshima-san's Request!

But I doubt Professor Sawai will give us permission.
We won't know if you don't ask him first.
Well, that's true...

...I'll do my best.

Professor Sawai...)

Before we do that, though, let's see what others think.

But isn't it forbidden to bring animals into the hospital?
Yes it is, but I was told by Kagayaki-san not to throw him out. Kagayaki-san found this dog. He said it was a fan of his!
So let's keep him here.
Dr. Ueto... Didn't you just say it's forbidden to bring him into the hospital?

Well, it's true... If we throw this dog out, I don't know what Kakkii might do...
So what are you going to do?
I'm going to ask Professor Sawai for permission. I've got a feeling he isn't going to give his permission.

Hospital...

There are patients here like Heikichi-san, who stay in the hospital for a very long time. It would be great if we had a therapy dog, who could help keep their spirits up.
Come to think about it, it would have been great if we'd had a therapy dog when Hikaru was here.
Yeah...
It seems to be working in other hospitals.
Really? Ok, I'll try that.

Note taken: Therapy Dogs!

support!

liked dogs.)

In we go...

Do you mean Kagayaki-san?
It seems he's been causing all kinds of problems, do you have him under control?
Well, not really... Just a little while ago, we had some problems with one of his fans.
Kagayaki-san's agent is a very good friend of mine... I know it's a nuisance job, but try and do your best.

Oh... It's just a puppy.
Yes, I can see that. I think you know that animals are not allowed in the hospital.

records.

So, it's time for this again! We must convince Sawai to let us keep the dog, otherwise we will get a premature Game Over!

What's the matter?

Present: Aoshima-san's request.

Acutally I was thinking we could keep the dog at the hospital.
Keep it at the hospital and then what?
Eh?
Are you planning to turn this hospital into an animal shelter?

Present: A therapy dog.

There are long-term patients in Seimei University Hospital. If we had a therapy dog here, he could have a beneficial effect on patient morale. Dr. Ueto agrees.
She was saying how she wished that there had been a therapy dog here when Hikaru was a patient. I agree with her.

a therapy dog, but we have no experience with the practice...

If we are going to begin, we need to research the idea... and make sure that we choose an appropriate dog for the task.
There's no reason that it has to be this particular dog, is there?
Well, there could be a slight problem if it isn't this particular dog...

Present: Kagayaki-san's selfishness.

And... he's quite fond of it...
I'm not sure what Kagayaki-san will do if I throw this dog out now.

time.

But only for the length of Kagayaki-san's stay. I'm only allowing this to avoid unnecessary problems with him. Is that understood?
Yes of course...
We'll keep the dog here in the hospital for now. Just make sure that you keep it extremely clean.
We can't have a dog this filthy roaming the hospital, can we?
Err... yes, of course I'll get him scrubbed clean right away.

That went a lot better than expected. Let's go tell Aoshima.

But... we can only keep him until Kagayaki-san leaves.
Why? Even though he's a therapy dog?
Professor Sawai said that if we wanted a therapy dog, we'd have to choose a trained one.
What? What's wrong with Cookie?
Well... Don't ask me...

Aoshima-san, you've got a cold?

tomorrow, I can't catch a cold.

Where will Cookie sleep?
Well, how about the night duty room for the time being?
So we can play with him here.
First, I'll have to give him a good scrub to make sure he's clean enough to be in the hospital.

All right Cookie, this is your room from now on.
It's only for three weeks but I hope you'll be comfortable here.

officially one of us!

(I wonder how Aoshima-san's cold is going.)

Hello Aoshima-san.

You look a little pale, are you all right?
I'm fine. No problem.
Do you have a fever?
No I don't. It's just your imagination.

*THUD* Aoshima faints.

duty room.

Will you perform the surgery in her place?
I don't mind, but I'm worried about Miina-san.
She'll be unconscious during the operation, so there shouldn't be a problem.
But once you perform the operation, you'll have to look after her aftercare. You'd better make sure she's OK with it.

Because there are literally NO OTHER FEMALE DOCTORS in this hospital!

Nonetheless, we should go and get Miina ready.

Your tests have come back. It looks like your bile duct is fine. We'll perform the operation as scheduled.

Yes, but first... I have to tell you that Dr. Aoshima isn't feeling well today and won't be able to perform the operation. I'll be performing the operation instead.
Is this true?
Suzu-sensei will be there too. Besides, you'll be unconscious the whole time.
Well, if I'm unconscious... I should be all right.
All right then, We'll come and pick you up later.

We are almost ready for the operation, but first, let's just go and see how Aoshima is doing one last time.

It's OK, I am going to perform the operation.
All right... I'm OK with that...
You were working yourself too hard. You were bound to get sick.

I understand how you feel, but you can't treat a patient like this.

should go to the meeting room.

operation.

The purpose of the operation is to remove the gallstones and the gallbladder. We'll use the laparoscope for the operation today.
Tendo, you'll perform the operation. Are you familiar with the laparoscope?
We have to make small incisions, and through them insert a long and narrow tube with a small camera and forceps on the end. This way we can treat the patient without having to make big incisions.

Like you said, the laparoscope only leaves small scars on the patients body. And in a case like this, where the patient is androphobic, contact with the body can be kept to a minimum.

matter, does it?

(I'll check up on her after I've finished the operation.)

I'm... all right.
Everything is going to be all right. Don't worry about the surgery.
I'll do my best.
Ok, I'm going to give you an anaesthetic.

We start the same as always, but this operation will get a bit hard soon. There are a few issues with it, which we'll see in a moment.

Ok, the disinfection is complete. I'm going to make some incisions for the laparoscope.

We need to make four small incisions, through which we'll insert the trocars.

Like so. The first problem with this operation is that there are a lot of little bits to do, but after every one of them Tendo will pipe up to say "Hey I've done this little bit." The problem? Timer doesn't stop during his dialogue! The other problem? We are on three minute limit again, despite what the timer says above. Well, this time nobody will die if we are too slow, but... there are other consequences which I will explain in a moment.

Ok, the skin incision is complete. I'm going to insert the trocars.

Now we need to insert the trocars; there's four of them, and they are like little tubes that allow the camera and forceps and other instruments to go into the body while we operate. We'll remove them when we are done.

This is easy, you just slide them in...

...like so.

All trocar insertions are complete.

This always happens when we go inside, nothing to worry about.

Be careful, we are moving on to the stage with the monitor. First secure the gallbladder with the forceps.

Just like this. The forceps are inserted through the trocars.

Next, make a U-shaped incision along the neck of the gallbladder, and expose the cystic duct. Make the incision with the electric scalpel.¨

We need to detach it on the right side so that we can ligate the duct and the nearby artery. And here is the last issue with this operation--there is a lot of usage of electric scalpel which I personally find quite annoying to use.

Finally, why do we need to finish this operation in 3 minutes or less, if I said that nobody will die if we are too slow? Simple. If you finish in more than 3 minutes, you are forever locked out from being able to date Aoshima.

Yes. The outcome of this operation determines whether you will be able to date Aoshima or not. You heard that right. It's not quite as silly as it seems, but nevertheless the game doesn't even give you a hint about any of this! Which makes it ever worse if you don't realise you must skip all the time-wasting talking--if you let the dialogues play out at normal speed, you won't finish in time!

The gallbladder neck has been separated and the cystic duct is exposed. Next I'm going to ligate the cystic duct.

Cystic duct is a part of digestive system that allows bile to flow to and from the gallbladder. We are now going to tie it off (ligate) before we can take out the gallbladder.

That's also fairly easy, just need to get the correct spots.

Now you can dissect the cystic duct.

We just cut it with the electric scalpel like this.

Next, the cystic artery. The same as before, ligate it and then dissect it.

Like she said, this is exactly the same thing again, first we ligate it...

...and then we cut it with the electric scalpel.

Finally, we can dispose of the gallbladder. Separate the gallbladder with the electric scalpel.

This time, we need to basically cut all the way around the gallbladder. This is probably the hardest part as it is not always clear how far you need to go.

But it should look something like this.

We still have a few things to do, though...

OK, next we remove the gallbladder.

This is simple, we need to pull it out through the trocar. The only problem is that we need to go very slowly. In case you need to orient yourself, that "wall" in the middle is actually the patient's skin.

Something like this...

...and out it comes.

All that's left to do is to pull the trocars out...

...and to suture the incisions.

something had happened.

appropriate reports after the operation.

And now, let's go see Aoshima. If you take longer than 3 minutes, you find that she's already left and the scene that follows doesn't happen. Also, as mentioned, she's no longer available for dating in that case.

How are you feeling?

Are you hungry at all?

I have some chicken noodle soup. It's instant, but...
I was planning to eat it when I got hungry.
Chicken noodle soup?
It's great because when you mix it with water the portion gets bigger.

Yes, Tendo, we know how instant food works.

I can make it very quickly. Do you want some?
But it's yours Dr. Tendo, isn't it? Are you sure?
Don't worry. I bought plenty of it on a sale.
In that case, I'd love some.

A minute later...

Received: Chicken noodle soup.

Definitely not chicken noodle soup. If we look carefully at the picture of the box, it says おかゆ which is in fact rice porridge and not chicken soup. The writing on the right of the box says simply おいしい which means "delicious".

I warmed it too much it seems. I'll cool it down for you. Fu-fu-fu-fu... It should be all right now.

deadly serious.

Well.
I'm sorry.

Eh?

TO BE CONTINUED...

ivantod fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 10, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm surprised at how many character sprites (or is it portraits?) there are in the game. And that cliffhanger...

EDIT: I was looking at the earlier updates, and was that dog the same one Aoshima saved from the motorcycle?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 5, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh wow you get an instant game over of you don't convince him? That is loving harsh.
Glad I dodged that bullet.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Oh wow you get an instant game over of you don't convince him? That is loving harsh.
Glad I dodged that bullet.

Yeah, there's not even a save point anywhere in the chapter before that, so if you fail you get to play from the very beginning!

Mraagvpeine posted:

EDIT: I was looking at the earlier updates, and was that dog the same one Aoshima saved from the motorcycle?

It looks similar, but the game never mentions anything on the topic, but I guess it could be. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ivantod posted:

Yeah, there's not even a save point anywhere in the chapter before that, so if you fail you get to play from the very beginning!

...wow. Okay, that one's harsh.

But it seems like what you have to say is pretty obvious.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So what are the Vegas odds we have to operate on either the stalker or the dog?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

tomanton posted:

So what are the Vegas odds we have to operate on either the stalker or the dog?

Well, you had to do two operations in a short amount of time in the last chapter, so Kakkii, the stalker, and the dog together for this chapter seems par for the course.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hoss Corncave posted:

Well, you had to do two operations in a short amount of time in the last chapter, so Kakkii, the stalker, and the dog together for this chapter seems par for the course.

Removing the dog from the stalker from Kakkii.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

McNally posted:

Removing the dog from the stalker from Kakkii.

A Kakkii-yoshka?

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
You asked a while back, so:

A doctor practicing internal medicine is referred to as an internist, at least in the United States.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Centurium posted:

You asked a while back, so:

A doctor practicing internal medicine is referred to as an internist, at least in the United States.

Yes, that's what I also know.

But I guess this is just a drop in the ocean, there are many much worse things in this translation. Although, to be honest, all the little mistakes notwithstanding, I am much more annoyed how uninspired the translation is. As you might have gotten the impression by now, the Japanese text is full of all sorts of quirks, different dialects, accents, weird teen speak, weird old-man speak (Heikichi speaks like a stereotypical old man, referring to himself as 'washi' and so on), but NONE of that is even a little bit in the English version. As mentioned, I have the EU version of the game with 5 languages, but I don't think it's worth checking out any of the others since it's very likely that only English was translated from Japanese and the others are probably from English simply because it's much easier that way.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

So, this episode is going to be mostly about food. Maybe best not to read it when you're hungry.

Last time, Tendo and Aoshima got interrupted in a slightly "compromising" position...

Thank you. You can put them over there.
OK... See you later...

...A bit embarrassing...

All righty then. Time to move on.

Let's at least try to patch things up with Hoshi a little bit.

What's the matter?

What's this? A crepe? Did you make this, Hoshi-san?

Amazing! So can you also make Japanese desserts, Hoshi-san?
Yeah the dough is made of soybean paste mixed with buckwheat flour.
Thank you, I'll eat it later.

I don't think Tendo understands quite what's going on here...

Yes?

before?

Eh?
Somehow... we've both been very busy... I haven't made lunch for you in ages, Dr. Tendo.
That's true, I haven't eaten anything you've made recently.

It's no trouble!
Really? So I'll make something for you Tomorrow!
But... I don't want to impose on your kindness.

ask.

(I'm looking forward to Hoshi-san's lunch.)

He still doesn't get that this is not about lunch.

Thank you!

Suddenly, we are interrupted...

No, I've been taking a nap...

announced that Kagayaki-san is a patient here!

It was already a rumour before the announcement... I'm concerned about the next three weeks. I'll have to double my efforts watching over Kagayaki-san.
Dr Tendo. I'll be of assistance at any time or any place.
Thanks, Florence-san. I feel much better knowing that.

I wouldn't...

But, why three weeks? The operation is tomorrow, so one week in the hospital afterwards should be plenty of time.
Kakkii-san is using his stay here as time off.
I don't think he's really going to stay here quietly for three whole weeks...
Anyway, I'm going to do all that I can... to make Mr. Kakkii's convalescence peaceful.
Me too, since I was put in charge of him, I'm going to have to do my best right to the end.
I'll help you as much as I can. Dr. Tendo, I owe you that much.

The only thing we are missing here is a group hug, seriously...

Ahahahahahaha, yeah right!

Ok, well, enough of that, let's see how is Miina doing these days.

I'm fine.

There are no complications, so you'll be able to leave in a week or so.
Thank you.

the courtyard.)

Oh well, let's just head there. What could possibly go wrong, really.

Sorry to have kept you waiting.

all!

Received: Lunch Box!

Wow! It's amazing! I almost feel guilty!

Not being a seafood person, this all sounds absolutely unappetising to me. But YMMV.

Florence's task in this episode is to keep interrupting us.

Yeah, I will. Thank you very much!
(It must take ages... to cook a meal like this.)

Where did she materialise from?

Ah, Aoshima-san!

Me with Hoshi-san? What are you talking about?
Well, why does she always cook you lunch?
She knows I usually eat badly, and she's just being nice.

No... I don't think that's it.

Wait! This is my lunch, stop eating it!

That's...
Oh, that looks delicious too!

(I don't eat well as it is, and now she's eaten almost the whole thing.)

Received: Empty Lunch Box!

Oh well, let's just return the lunch box to Hoshi.

We give her back the empty box...

Yes, thank you very much... it was delicious.

Aoshima-san also praised you very much. She said that you are very good at cooking.

Is this guy an idiot?

Yeah, a little bit... some egg roll...
(...and just about everything else.)

it...

Oh... I'm sorry. I was a bit spaced out, that's why.

eat it this time, OK?

But I feel bad that you make my lunch every day.
You shouldn't, I really like to cook.
Well, I love your cooking and it's a great help to me. But still I feel bad.

OK! I'm really looking forward to it!

So, looks like the "love" triangle is gearing up pretty fast at this point. But as this episode is approaching its end, things are going to get serious for real.

Next time on LifeSigns:

Kakkii Therapy!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They say that the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I'm afraid you're gonna need a more direct approach for this one, Hoshi.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Something tells me Tendo was not too popular with girls growing up. Just a hunch.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
I see Tendo has all of the tact and grace of his biological father. He's just more polite.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I feel like the one at fault here is mostly Aoshima, for just eating most of someone else's lunch without even asking.

Tendo is pretty dense for not noticing what's going on, sure, but come on. That was his lunch.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Tendo just has a severe case of Anime Protagonist Disease. The only cure involves lots of "BAKA!"s.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Haifisch posted:

Tendo just has a severe case of Anime Protagonist Disease. The only cure involves lots of "BAKA!"s.

That is true, but to be completely fair, the game is playing around with this stuff now, but how it gets resolved is up to the player--when the time comes (read: last chapter) we get to decide between Aoshima and Hoshi anyway. Since the decision point is quite late in the game, I should be able to show off both choices--well, all three choices really since you can also pick Sanae but that's considered bad/neutral option. One of the next updates will contain a critical point where you can miss to do something and again lock yourself out of dating Aoshima--it seems to me that the game considers her the "better" option since there are many more ways to lock yourself out of it.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
What kind of monster touches another person's lunch? It's sacrilegious. If you tried to do that around here, you'd lose a finger.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ivantod posted:

it seems to me that the game considers her the "better" option since there are many more ways to lock yourself out of it.

Well, she IS a doctor!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ivantod posted:

One of the next updates will contain a critical point where you can miss to do something and again lock yourself out of dating Aoshima--it seems to me that the game considers her the "better" option since there are many more ways to lock yourself out of it.

Not... necessarily?

I mean, you take the Tokimeki Memorial series, which often has a love interest with very specific requirements to unlock, but while there's a challenge to see their story, that story doesn't have to be a better story, just a different one.

Sometimes it's a very different story, like the one where it turns out you were someone else's Magician Social Link the whole time.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Previously, we had to suffer Tendo being completely oblivious about a "love triangle" situation that has arisen between him, Aoshima and Hoshi. But for today we have a completely different topic. As I like to point out, it's time to remember again we do have some patients that need help!

Also, this episode features absolutely no appearances by Aoshima and Hoshi, so there's that I guess.

So it's time to...

...be once again interrupted by Miina's scream!

A question presents itself: what the heck is he doing in here?

Kagayaki-san! What are you doing here!

hello.

Please, leave this room immediately!

funny!

Please leave!

Miina-san, are you all right?

What happened?

He always does that when he sees people... I think he just wanted to shake hands...
But my body still gets tense... I'm sorry.
Miina-san, you don't have to apologise.
Sorry.
It was my fault because I should have been watching over him.
Don't worry about it... Just go and apologise to Kakkii-san.
Miina-san...

fault...

Regardless of apologising or not, we should nevertheless go and talk to him about this.

Yeah, he does not look happy.

Her? Why do you always behave so selfishly?

patient.

You know what... What were you thinking?
Well, I was a little shocked, to be honest. I haven't felt like this since the time I was filming a commercial... with a horse called Derby. He bit me in the end.
This isn't about your silly story! This is a very serious problem for her.
What do you mean?

And now, in a complete violation of patient privacy, Tendo proceeds to discuss Miina's condition with Kakkii...

She isn't very comfortable around... men.
But did she have to shout?! I'm a mega star! If that's not androphobia...

Just don't go anywhere near her room, OK?

What?

Look! There are diseases that I can cure too.
Wait... Kagayaki-san, don't do anything foolish.
Doctor, can you cure her androphobia?
Look, for now I have to concentrate on her post-operation treatment. Please, I'm asking you, stay away from her.

Perhaps we should talk to Eri-san about all of this...

We'll find her in the "tea room". Obviously, this is just an overly literal translation of Japanese word 喫茶店, which these days is used more in the sense of "cafe", which would have certainly been an appropriate translation here.

She seems to be recovering well.

I wonder if we can do anything about Miina-san's androphobia.
It's really up to her at this point!
But Miina-san says she wants to be cured of her androphobia...

Living like this is really no good for her.
That's true...
Can you think of any reason for Miina-san's androphobia?
Well, I think... it was...
Mi's parents got divorced when she was little.

Domestic violence?
Yeah.
That would certainly explain it.

Note taken: Miina Irodori-san's past!

I would really love to help her.
I'd do everything I can to help her.

This episode is mostly in the spirit of "shuttle diplomacy", so now we'll go back to Miina to discuss what was said. It would probably be easier to get all these people together in a room and talk, but...

Yeah, Eri came here because she was worried.
Eri and I would like to help you. It might be easier to overcome it if you understood the cause.
My androphobia was probably caused... by an experience in elementary school. I was rejected by the boy I liked on Valentine's day.

For some reason, Valentine's day (and its reversed-sex counterpart, White day) is a super big thing in Japanese schools. Don't ask me why.

You think that's the cause?
Yeah... Oh... I hate myself...

She's obviously lying. We'll need to prompt her a bit.

Eri told me that... You'd experienced violence at home, as a child...
It's true that my father was violent. But I don't think that it's related to my androphobia. It isn't possible that he could be the cause of my phobia. I broke off all contact with that man 10 years ago.

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve...

Even when you talk to me?
Yes.
You forced yourself to be calm, in front of Eri?
(Miina-san's father might be the cause of her androphobia.)

Note taken: Cause of Androphobia!

The answer is... the same person we always ask for advice about stuff, namely...

The patient I'm in charge of suffers from serious androphobia... I'm trying to help her deal with it. I think it was caused by her father being violent when she was young...
Domestic violence?
Yeah...

Yeah, that's why I'd like to help her...

over the course of their treatment.

Note taken: A Psychiatrist!

Before we continue with the Androphobia thing, we need to make a short detour to visit Kakkii. It's very important to do this now, as I'll explain in just a moment.

You will recall that a while ago, we've been asked by Ueto to obtain Kakkii's autograph. There is a very short window where we can actually do that, and IT IS RIGHT NOW!! Doing this allows us to unlock the Soundrack option in the game's extras menu! If we miss the window for this, then the option is no longer available.

So now might be a good time to explain what those points do that we've been getting by doing the operations. Basically, they allow you to "purchase" various extras like this ability to listen to the soundtrack from the game's menu. So if we do the autograph thing, we unlock the soundtrack, but still need to purchase it with these points. And it costs a measly 300,000 points. Since that is way much, I'm just going to give you a simple link to the whole thing in case you want a listen!

Received: Kakkii's autograph!

The picture of the autograph is not just a scribble! The left column (small letters) says simply "To Dr. Ueto" (上戸先生へ) and the right side is a very very stylised version of three kanji that spell his name (Kagayaki Chikara): 輝木力. If you squint a bit, you can sort of see the resemblance (especially the third one is pretty obvious).

Yeah, because you get to unlock the soundtrack to your own game!

Anyway, back to the androphobia problem now.

The psychiatrist will help you deal with your emotions. It might do you a lot of good. I think it will help you deal with... your father issue.

Well... think about it...

That didn't go too good. Let's confer with Eri.

What do you mean?
She said you advised her to see a psychiatrist.
That's right. I though it might help her with her androphobia.
But now she thinks that she's mentally unstable.
I didn't mean to imply that.
I'm happy that you want to help Mi, but I think we should think of another way. I kind of regret that I told you about Mi's family.
I'm sorry...
It's not that. You're doing all you can for Mi. But I don't think it's very wise... to keep reminding her of her father...
Maybe you're right. I was a little careless.
I'm sorry. I've been nothing but trouble.
No, not at all. I don't know Miina-san as well as you do.

Maybe we should just fold and ask Kakkii for help in the end?

You went out by yourself again?
I asked the Angel in Glasses. She tells me that Cookie is a therapy dog now.
Yeah, that's how we were able to keep him in the hospital. Kagayaki-san, the issue here is that you went out by yourself.

Miina Irodori-san loves animals?

How do you know that?
It's obvious, isn't it? Because I asked her.

Note taken: Miina likes Animals!

Did you go back to Miina-san's room?
I didn't touch her, and she said it was all right. Besides, if she keeps avoiding men she'll never progress to the next stage, will she?
You still broke your promise, didn't you?

I think we are on to something. Back to Miina.

right.

Sorry. That patient doesn't listen to anything I say.
Oh no... I'm really glad I've been hospitalised here. I've spent my life avoiding men... so I wouldn't have to deal with my fear. But, now I'm quite happy, I can even talk to you!
Listen... I heard from Kagayaki-san that you like animals. Is that true?
Yeah. I would love to have a dog, but it's difficult in an apartment.

Ooo, she said the magic word, "dog"!

Cookie is here again?

anywhere by myself.

Eh? What is it?

I've taken "Cookie" in my arms!

And finally, the end of a long road.

In this case yes. His name is Cookie. He's the hospital's new therapy dog.
Cookie. Can I hold him?
Sure. I'll put him on your bed.

But...

All right then.

And finally the night has fallen. What kind of drama will it bring?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That is a really mean extra cause you're right in the middle of this goddamn fed-ex quest so you forget all about Ueto's letter.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Dogs and pop stars: better than psychiatrists. Don't want people thinking you're CRAZY!

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Glazius posted:

Not... necessarily?

I think he means Aoshima is the route you're "supposed" to want, with Hoshi as a consolation prize if you screw it up (and thus encouraging you to replay the game to make better... ergh... "waifu" choices). For games that have multiple romance options, there're usually some that have a lot more work and dialogue in them than the others.

I've been enjoying the LP, Ivan, painfully lifeless (weird, for a game about doctors :v: ) script aside. This is definitely one of those games I'd be curious about but probably never play, so... thanks!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

idonotlikepeas posted:

Dogs and pop stars: better than psychiatrists. Don't want people thinking you're CRAZY!

:japan:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I expected the autograph to be some crazy fetch quest where you don't have a pen, so you have to pixelhunt the right pen...then you can't find Kakkii...then you find him, but his manager sees and won't let him give you a free autograph, so you have to get the crazed fan in to distract the manager so you can get the autograph.

Nope, you just show up and ask and get it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, what an odd time window. I wonder what happens that we can't see the pop star after this.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Most of the last part was spent on dealing Miina's androphobia issue; in the meantime it's already gotten dark...

...and there seems to be someone at the reception. I can take an educated guess here...

Gah, why am I not surprised. Oh well, let's just deal with it.

(Naoko is here again... What a nuisance she is...)

I read it on the internet!

Naoko! What are you doing here?

I'll chase after her. Florence-san, please go back to work.

Meanwhile, over at the courtyard...

something?

angry at you.

That looks heavy. Let me help you carry it.
No, it's all right... Oh... Ah!

This game didn't really have any budget for animations, so imagine that what happens here is Kakkii reaching for her papers and this resulting in them both tumbling down onto the ground...

...resulting in this familiar anime trope, of course.

That's why I said no thank you, didn't I?

Whoops. Potentially NOT the person we want to witness this.

Back with Tendo...

Luckily, we know, so we can go straight there.

You are my idol.

Oh... I get it.

evil siren!

Why would I want to trick him?
Ok, let's just calm down.

Calm down! I had no intention of...

Naoko, don't do anything stupid!

his honour?

Everything you've said was a lie!
That's...
Adults always lie!
Naoko, I want to apologise for lying to you... but put that knife away.
Shut up! You're a rotten adult, too!
Naoko...
Put the knife down. Don't do anything foolish...

will!

Uh, so, Dr. Aoshima might want to try a different strategy when dealing with an irrational person here...

You're keeping Kakkii here for three weeks...
Listen, calm down... I...
Kagayagi-san. This is dangerous, please stand back...

Not that Tendo is helping much here, either.

Why are you keeping Kakkii here for three weeks? One week should be plenty of time for the operation, shouldn't it?
We have... our reasons...
I wasn't asking you! Shut up, liar!

you!

(Aoshima-san... don't irritate her...)

stupid brat, right?

now!

Dr. Tendo!
Naoko! Stop it!

Naoko, calm down!

Tune in next time for a thrilling* conclusion of the second episode!!!

* Note: Actual results may vary. Before reading please consult your physician. May cause blindness. Professional driver on a closed track.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, I'm just finding the fan irritating at this point. I know she's delusional and all, but it's like, 'we're totally going to let you shank a bitch, right?'

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

They need better security at this hospital, jeeze. Good thing Tendo is a whiz and will get Kakkii sewn up right quick so this crazy kid can learn their Valuable Lesson™ instead of doing something even more rash over having killed their idol.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

They need better security at this hospital, jeeze.

I'm not made out of Ye-AMERICAN DOLLARS, Tendo.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I'm guessing this dialogue and the strangely mismatched portrait is the game's fault instead of the translation's, this time.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

Holy crap this hospital is insane. Can't see a licensed psychiatrist, you might look nuts. Can't keep out a crazed stalker because security isn't a thing or something I guess? I think I'd probably set myself on fire if I had to work at a place like that. I'm interested to see where this lp goes, even if I hate every character though.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

tiistai posted:

I'm guessing this dialogue and the strangely mismatched portrait is the game's fault instead of the translation's, this time.

Yeah the game has a good amount of portraits with different expressions for "normal" conversations, but not so much for more "actiony" scenes. This is also seen in there being no animation for these two falling down, or even last time with the road accident where the truck that was a major participant was not even depicted once except for its driver. Actually you sort of have to figure out what happened in these scenes, which is a bit silly really. But no, it's not the fault of translation, those are all the same in Japanese version.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh, I missed this earlier. Let's see what happened.

*one update later*

Oh dear.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ivantod posted:

Yeah the game has a good amount of portraits with different expressions for "normal" conversations, but not so much for more "actiony" scenes.

Yeah, that's clearly true, but they still had other portraits to work with. Even this would've been better, if the intention was to come across as distressed rather than smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

tiistai posted:

Yeah, that's clearly true, but they still had other portraits to work with. Even this would've been better, if the intention was to come across as distressed rather than smug.

I don't know... maybe the intention WAS to have him come across as smug, thinking everything can be solved by simply "turning on the charm"--that's pretty much how he's been portrayed so far (with a bit of a mix of petulant child added in of course). :v: