Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Yeah, seriously. I can never understand why nobody understands "no spoilers".

"Oh boy, I hope OP manages to [REDACTED] the [REDACTED] when he reaches the [REDACTED], otherwise he'll be right [REDACTED]" is, if not an actual spoiler-by-implication in the circumstances (because it means a deadly 'gotcha!' moment is approaching, so be careful), at least annoying as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I like your LP style. Talking through your thinking makes this whole thing really nostalgic.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Yeah! Kick everything! Kick your enemies! Kick the doors! Kick your food around! Kicks for everyone!

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I used to play Nethack with the numpad control setting, but without a number pad.

That's right, I learned to navigate using the number row. I was drat quick about it, too.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

I won't say anything conclusive, lest I give anything away, but I will say that Nethack 4 has seen the deft hand of some reasonable developer from the rumblings I've heard.

A lot of early-game gently caress you things have been taken away. (Although he did almost "do not pass Go" himself by accident on his first run, so maybe not.) As far as I can tell, the midgame and lategame are largely unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Actually, is it even possible to get some kind of win without spoilers? I haven't played this since forever, and never was any good at it.

Theoretically. By which I mean 'No'.

There are some unspoiled ascensions, and they're legendary. But even they required years of set-up in which the player basically created the spoilers from scratch anyway by taking detailed notes.

• Locked thread