Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Transformer films say otherwise.

Transformers films were obviously written my Junior High students... have you seen their female leads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Transformers 3 was at least semi coherent. Like it felt like the person taking orders from the assholes above him kinda knew what he was doing.

The first one was clearly two or three scripts shoved together. The 2nd was god knows what, probably something that Paradol Ex would defend.

I never saw the fourth but apparently it's complete nonsense so whatever.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Testikles posted:

Hey remember when the Indian billionaire said that it wasn't about the money, he just wanted people to have a great experience, and then when the I-Rex got loose he suddenly was like gently caress everybody's safety, let's make sure we can save the asset first? That's good writing.

i found that to be believable, rich people are often full of poo poo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

i found that to be believable, rich people are often full of poo poo

Plenty of rich people "aren't greedy" until they feel like their money is at risk.

Haha. having money.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Taint Reaper posted:

yeah it's well known at this point that the JP Raptors are not Velociraptors and are larger dromeosaurs which would have not had feathers either. They would have had quill spikes at most.

Feathers would have caused them to overheat and die.

Dude, the original JP raptors are actually the deinonychus, which is totally a feathered bird. All the raptor family had feathers, even the utahraptor.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Fury Road is proof that you can have your big budget well written practical effect laden cake and haters can eat me too

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Toadvine posted:

Fury Road is proof that you can have your big budget well written practical effect laden cake and haters can eat me too

You aren't being a sourpuss by calling a bloated corpse of a movie a bloated corpse but people will still dislike you for it because buyers remorse.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Toadvine posted:

I hate to tell you this but the last three Fast and Furious movies combined had less CGI in them than the entirety of the new Mad Max.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
im really angry at people who have money!! wheres my money!!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

I hate to tell you this but the last three Fast and Furious movies combined had less CGI in them than the entirety of the new Mad Max.

Yes ok poo poo like replacing sky with other sky is done on a computer true but when it comes to crashes and stunt work, realizing it physically is better.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

Let me sit you down and tell you about a believable spinosaurus.

This is what a real Spinosaurus looks like

it ate specifically fish and only fish and mostly lived in water

Yes but it's not a hybrid of random dino parts that can turn invisible and see infra red and somehow still be boring

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Why are people still arguing about feathers when BD Wong has a line about how many of the dinosaurs don't even look accurate because of the frog splicing, and a follow up line about how people didn't want accuracy they wanted entertainment which is clearly meant to comment on the actual creative decisions not just the in world decisions.

Also why do people think jurassic park is a great ip when the second and third were trash garbage that Spielberg pretty openly was only halfheartedly involved in? Agreed the effects suck compared to the original though and the dialogue was weak, but you can't expect anything to compare to nostalgia for something you saw as a naive child. The only thing that surprised me was that it wasn't much worse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The B_36 posted:

The problem is, with the preponderance of CGI effects in use now, the practical effects guys just don't exist like they use to. They simply dont get enough business to make it viable for them to stay in business, ready to make huge animatronic models.

And on top of that, sometimes when they make bitchin' cool animatronic practical effects the studio comes in afterwards and paints over them with lovely CGI. That would make we want to quit the business.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
When the Ingen stooge is all like, "Imagine if we had these things in Tora Bora." I couldn't help immediately thinking how cool a movie about raptors hunting terrorists in the Afghani wilderness would be.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If chris pratt was brought in from the navy to train the raptors does that mean he used to train navy dolphins? Do they ever state this directly or was it just implied?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Atari posted:

Why are people still arguing about feathers when BD Wong has a line about how many of the dinosaurs don't even look accurate because of the frog splicing, and a follow up line about how people didn't want accuracy they wanted entertainment which is clearly meant to comment on the actual creative decisions not just the in world decisions.

Also why do people think jurassic park is a great ip when the second and third were trash garbage that Spielberg pretty openly was only halfheartedly involved in? Agreed the effects suck compared to the original though and the dialogue was weak, but you can't expect anything to compare to nostalgia for something you saw as a naive child. The only thing that surprised me was that it wasn't much worse.

just because they winked at the camera and told us that they know the movie sucks doesn't make it all ironic and therefor good. drat hipster logic

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I hate feathered dinosaurs not because I have any problem with the idea of them having feathers because whatever, some of the illustrations make them look just as cool as they did before, but rather because a million shrieking retards apparently think that dinosaurs having feathers isn't common knowledge to everyone to everyone with even the barest interest in dinos and that they look cool and smart by throwing a fit every time they see a depiction of a scaly dinosaur.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hope in JP5:JW2: Jurassic Universe, there's a scene where a scaley Velocitrapto's heart stops, and they use a defibrillator to bring it back to life and then it kills someone and cut to chalk outline. It would be perfect. Oh and someone cocks the hammer on their glock during the scene too.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

If chris pratt was brought in from the navy to train the raptors does that mean he used to train navy dolphins? Do they ever state this directly or was it just implied?

Not explicitly stated. Very good inference, Moon Atari, A+ on today's assignment.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

I saw Mad Max, then this, then last night I saw Mad Max again and I can now say with complete certainty that this film sucked enormous balls.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Snak your av gets me so incredibly hard

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I havent seen mad max or jurassic park yet

sigh

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I havent seen mad max or jurassic park yet

sigh

Watching them both back to back would be a good study in lovely vs amazing film

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

vg catch however the navy also has a sea lion program so it could have been either. Sea Lions are much better at poo poo than dolphins.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lil Peeler posted:

Watching them both back to back would be a good study in lovely vs amazing film

I did this. JW followed by Mad Max was good poo poo

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Came back to post about how I saw this last night with a date. some thoughts:
-The writing was very bad but Chris Pratt is very good at posing like an action star.
-Would have liked to see more tourists die.
-The best scene may have been when the raptors were hunting, except they weren't really hunting just running in a v formation only to end up at a clearing where their prey reveals itself.
-Strangely, the girthy military guy was more reasonable than Claire in wanting to contain the problem before it became a bigger problem.
-Liked the indian ceo. For a mogul, he was likable.
-Wish I had seen Fury Road a third time instead.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Toadvine posted:

Came back to post about how I saw this last night with a date. some thoughts:
-The writing was very bad but Chris Pratt is very good at posing like an action star.
-Would have liked to see more tourists die.
-The best scene may have been when the raptors were hunting, except they weren't really hunting just running in a v formation only to end up at a clearing where their prey reveals itself.
-Strangely, the girthy military guy was more reasonable than Claire in wanting to contain the problem before it became a bigger problem.
-Liked the indian ceo. For a mogul, he was likable.
-Wish I had seen Fury Road a third time instead.

#1, 2, and 5 are exactly how I felt

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

LeoMarr posted:

Just finished watching it where the gently caress was Jeff goldblum.

The author photo on the back of the book two of the characters were reading.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Apollodorus posted:

The author photo on the back of the book two of the characters were reading.

This 'easter egg' gets quoted on all sorts of articles online but not a single one of them has a photo, I call bullshit. :colbert:

Apparently this is the book:

And here's another scene where it appears, but not with the photo showing:

TheViciousMrPim
Jul 3, 2015
After reading about half of this thread I am greatly looking forward to finding a streaming copy of this. It sounds like it'll be a glorious shitfest. A double feature of this and Genisys will be a greatly terrible way to kill an evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Genisys is worth it entirely for when the Terminator fights Noob Saibot at the end.

edit: sorry I necroed this. Brain fart.

• Locked thread