Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Snak posted:

It's always lame when "The Hubris of Man(kind)" is supposed to be a main theme in these movies, but they set up such idiot strawmen that it's hard to really get the message. Like, no poo poo you did a bunch of really stupid things and then failed. None of the JP failures have anything to do with man playing god, but instead are just because they didn't bother with basic safety features. You could make the next jurassic park movie have no dinosaurs and take place in a textile mill and it would be just as much a of a disaster movie.

"We are switching to a new type of dye that should be revolutionary"

"This NEW DYE is flammable, and it's catching our machines on fire"

"The new fire suppression system is kind of buggy, let's reboot the entire system"

"Oh poo poo, when we turned the system off, all the valves opened and dumped hundreds of gallons of chemical right onto the factory floor!"

"Okay you have to climb through the loom and manually reset the weaving computers"

"Our emergency systems go through the weaving computers, there's no way to call the fire department"

"We have to get this 5th grade tour out of here" "There's no cars in the parking lot, we're trapped"

Lens flare and shaky cams will give you a jj Abrams film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Make a movie about The Hubris of Man but just have it be about making a lovely blockbuster movie

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Snak posted:

Jurassic Park 5: Wanted 2: The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory

looming into theaters this summer.

I hear this year's staff Christmas party is at the Cocoanut Grove night club!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Takanago posted:

Make a movie about The Hubris of Man but just have it be about making a lovely blockbuster movie

I would watch the poo poo out of this. Like they thought they could spend millions of dollars and make a big success, but they didn't plan for reality.

Arguably, this is half of The Aviator

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't understand the main plot point.

If an organism was watched for its entire life by thermal and normal cameras, how in the gently caress did they not know it had sci-fi cloaking powers?

I find it highly unbelievable.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

because its a mutant and it just happen to manifest its powers duh

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

I don't understand the main plot point.

If an organism was watched for its entire life by thermal and normal cameras, how in the gently caress did they not know it had sci-fi cloaking powers?

I find it highly unbelievable.

I brought this up earlier, and it's pretty clear that while they had these cameras, they weren't using them. No one was watching the dinosaur. If it was being watched, how would someone not have noticed it climbing out of the enclosure?

It's like in Speed, where they drop the money off for Dennis hopper, and after awhile no one has come to pick it up and they turn on the tracking device and find out that he's already gotten away with it. Like why the gently caress did you even bother putting a tracker in it?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Snak posted:

I brought this up earlier, and it's pretty clear that while they had these cameras, they weren't using them. No one was watching the dinosaur. If it was being watched, how would someone not have noticed it climbing out of the enclosure?

It's like in Speed, where they drop the money off for Dennis hopper, and after awhile no one has come to pick it up and they turn on the tracking device and find out that he's already gotten away with it. Like why the gently caress did you even bother putting a tracker in it?

I mean, I get that nobody was watching the monitors (because who would do that?), but why don't they...rewind the cameras? Watch the film? Check its GPS tracker that somehow was not linked to the highly complex and advanced computer system integrated into the compound?

I hate this movie and I hate myself for caring enough to hate it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why don't they have someone watching the monitors? Why is the first thing they did when they suspected that it climbed out "back up the video and see"? Then they would have seen "oh it clawed up the wall and walked off" "Where did it go?" "It just walked into the middle of the enclosure and HOLY poo poo IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE" the end.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

why didnt anyone ask why nedry had loving shaving cream at his desk gently caress JP

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

SaltLick posted:

why didnt anyone ask why nedry had loving shaving cream at his desk gently caress JP

nobody wants to talk to the weird it guy

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SaltLick posted:

what's hilarious is that nedry could have just went on the boat with the other employees evacuating rather than the boat that's docked on the other side of the island. i mean the whole barbasol can was so everything would be stealth and poo poo, its not likes hes taking out a crate marked DINO DNA.

just go on the boat with all the other employees you fat stupid poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

what's hilarious is that nedry could have just went on the boat with the other employees evacuating rather than the boat that's docked on the other side of the island. i mean the whole barbasol can was so everything would be stealth and poo poo, its not likes hes taking out a crate marked DINO DNA.

just go on the boat with all the other employees you fat stupid poo poo.

Eh, presumably Nedry would have been stuck in debriefing/quarantine etc for more than the 18 hours or whatever his shaving cream storage was good for. Especially since he was the guy in charge of the poo poo that hosed up.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Eh, presumably Nedry would have been stuck in debriefing/quarantine etc for more than the 18 hours or whatever his shaving cream storage was good for. Especially since he was the guy in charge of the poo poo that hosed up.

he would have been found out either way eventually. but at the time the people on the island couldnt communicate with the boat, and the people on the boat had no clue what was going on at the island. everyone was evacuating anyway. i can't imagine it's a terribly long boat ride since it seems no employees live on the island and nedry designed the park systems to run by itself for 3 days.

what im saying is that fat retard could have at least tried to make a plan that didn't require driving through a dinosaur paddock and he would have gotten away alive.

Snak posted:

Why don't they have someone watching the monitors? Why is the first thing they did when they suspected that it climbed out "back up the video and see"? Then they would have seen "oh it clawed up the wall and walked off" "Where did it go?" "It just walked into the middle of the enclosure and HOLY poo poo IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE" the end.

it's so fuckin dumb cause nobody thought of checking the tracker until AFTER they went in to check. and apparently they couldn't check the tracker at the irex pen, the girl had to call the control center.

also having verizon sponsor your dinosaur attraction on an island with the shittiest cell phone service is lol.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 19, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

he would have been found out either way eventually. but at the time the people on the island couldnt communicate with the boat, and the people on the boat had no clue what was going on at the island. everyone was evacuating anyway. i can't imagine it's a terribly long boat ride since it seems no employees live on the island and nedry designed the park systems to run by itself for 3 days.

what im saying is that fat retard could have at least tried to make a plan that didn't require driving through a dinosaur paddock and he would have gotten away alive.

I'm not sure that "Nedry could have tried to make a better plan" follows from "Nedry is a fat retard"...

Also, I think the only reason they said paddock in JW was because they said it in JP. Like, they never say paddock until they are like PADDOCK 9, get it? they said Tyrannosaur PADDOCK in JP.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Again the book kinda does a better job of explaining how Hammond hosed nedry over but yeah he still winds up getting eaten lol

Also I laugh so hard every time I watch jp1 and hear the loony tunes cartoon noise they dub in when he slips down the little stream trying to winch out the jeep

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

haljordan posted:

Again the book kinda does a better job of explaining how Hammond hosed nedry over but yeah he still winds up getting eaten lol

Also I laugh so hard every time I watch jp1 and hear the loony tunes cartoon noise they dub in when he slips down the little stream trying to winch out the jeep

i love his waddle run.

god bless dennis "the menace" nedry.

the book goes into a lot of poo poo that would explain a lot in the movies, like renting an south american island to skirt genetic experimentation laws and how lovely of a person hammond actually was. him being eaten by the raptors would have gone lovely with his whole "im there for every dinosaur birth so they like me" poo poo at the beginning of the movies.

edit-

funnies part of jp was when grant steps in triceratops poop.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 19, 2015

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Having Hammond freak out over a recorded t rex noise causing him to fall down a hill and get eaten by compys was pretty lafftastic tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haljordan posted:

That's actually just the sound of the winch cable coming out. Still funny though.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

That's actually just the sound of the winch cable coming out. Still funny though.

Oh haha I never would've guessed that. It really does sound like wiley e coyote slipping on a banana peel

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

i refuse to believe this also pluto is still a planet to me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

Oh haha I never would've guessed that. It really does sound like wiley e coyote slipping on a banana peel

SaltLick posted:

i refuse to believe this also pluto is still a planet to me

I mean, they wouldn't have had the sound like that if they didn't want that effect. It's like a twofer, where you can be like, "There is good audio work and foley artist work in this" and "we definitely did not add cartoon sound effects to a fat person tripping".

Spielberg also made Hook, which is a great movie, and also has a lot of slapstick gag stuff with cartoony sounds.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Snak posted:

I mean, they wouldn't have had the sound like that if they didn't want that effect. It's like a twofer, where you can be like, "There is good audio work and foley artist work in this" and "we definitely did not add cartoon sound effects to a fat person tripping".

Spielberg also made Hook, which is a great movie, and also has a lot of slapstick gag stuff with cartoony sounds.

My favorite story about Hook is when Bruce Willis brought his kids to tour the set shortly after he gave an interview where he poo poo all over the stagehands union for being a bunch of overpaid jerks. He got a bucket of water dumped on him and when the tour was over he came out to find his car covered in spit.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Super Mario Brothers/Jurassic Park

Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels/Jurassic Park: The Lost World

Super Mario Brothers 3/Jurassic Park 3

Super Mario World/Jurassic World

Waiting for Jurassic galaxy :V

The best part of this movie was the scene where the Chameleon in the lab grabbed that grass and ripped it out, when I saw that I felt so relieved that this movie wasn't a complete waste of time.

And did anyone feel like the dying Brontosaurus looked like an animal straight out of the jungle book? I 4 srs thought it was about to put on a hat and start singing a song.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Snak posted:

Doesn't it have a GPS tracker in it that they specifically reference like a couple of scenes after it escapes

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
i saw it drunk and it was p good sorry you virgoons can't have fun. how hard is it to enjoy a t-rex & raptor vs science dino handicap match?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Don Mega posted:

i saw it drunk and it was p good sorry you virgoons can't have fun. how hard is it to enjoy a t-rex & raptor vs science dino handicap match?

"I am a literally retarded manbaby who thinks getting drunk is still really cool and movies that show dumb crazy stuff are inherently good because haha unicorns shooting lasers so wacky!"

-Don Mega

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
lmbo thx for provin my point jabroni

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 20, 2015

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Did they use any practical effects ts for the movie? or does it already look five years old ala the hobbit: battle of five armies?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

"I am a literally retarded manbaby who thinks getting drunk is still really cool and movies that show dumb crazy stuff are inherently good because haha unicorns shooting lasers so wacky!"

-Don Mega

to be fair, i killed a pint of jim beam during fury road and im 99% certain it only made the movie even better, if that's possible

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope Jura5sic Park has the spinosarus VS trex VS the giant shark dinosaur VS raptors on jet skis.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Jurassic World was better than Fury Road.

How's it feel knowing that it will take another 20 years before someone is retarded enough to make another Mad Max sequel, nerds?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Romes128 posted:

I hope Jura5sic Park has the spinosarus VS trex VS the giant shark dinosaur VS raptors on jet skis.

Jurassic World is to Jurassic Park what Aliens was to Alien so I guess we can expect Jurassic Park 5 will be the Aliens 3 of the franchise. All the ships transporting everyone from the island at the end of Jurassic World sink and everyone except Dr Henry Wu dies, and he washes up on the shore of an island containing nothing but a monastery full of ex-cons who have become peaceful monks. Unbeknownst to everyone a lone dilophosaurus was on board the ship and also makes it to the island!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snak posted:

I didn't know that most people hated Hook until I was in my late 20s and thought what a bizarre world this is.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Jurassic World is to Jurassic Park what Aliens was to Alien so I guess we can expect Jurassic Park 5 will be the Aliens 3 of the franchise. All the ships transporting everyone from the island at the end of Jurassic World sink and everyone except Dr Henry Wu dies, and he washes up on the shore of an island containing nothing but a monastery full of ex-cons who have become peaceful monks. Unbeknownst to everyone a lone dilophosaurus was on board the ship and also makes it to the island!

Except Aliens is amazing. It's more the Terminator Salvation to The Terminator.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't know that most people hated Hook until I was in my late 20s and thought what a bizarre world this is.
ditto. I think it's the best adaption of peter pan to the screen.

quote:

Except Aliens is amazing. It's more the Terminator Salvation to The Terminator.
also this.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I saw this thing yesterday and I kept expecting the dinosaurs to be subtitled like that scene at the end of Anchorman between Baxter and the bears.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i liked the part where the raptor looks at chris pratt and nods sagely

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
Doesn't the mom mention that it's the christmas season in the beginning?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
There was an assload of product endorsement in this movie, but I've come to expect that, so big whoop
What really got me is that the aunt character was abysmal. I have seen at least 30 Aunt Claires in other movies. "I care about my career to the complete exclusion of emotions and humanity" is a stereotype with no basis in reality that is played out beyond belief. I was rooting for the raptors to tear her face off. Instead, another lazy character type (loosened-up underdog who isn't really an underdog because he's over the top handsome) comes to "save" her
The movie was fun eye candy but I'll likely never watch it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
saw it thought it was alright. thought the ending was a bit contrived--why didn't that fish dinosaur do that to people if it was so close??? i give it 4 out 5 myself

• Locked thread