Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Isn't he a secret cosmic whale rear end in a top hat? Was his deal ever really explained?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Isn't he a secret cosmic whale rear end in a top hat? Was his deal ever really explained?
Yeah, he's actually like god of the space whales, his human form is just an avatar.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, my impression was that the Outsider was a whale god, emphasis less on whale, more on god. The Outsider wasn't interested in saving its fellow whales, and more on observing the humans as they meddled and politicked with one another. Whale culture is boring. They just hang out and eat and sing songs and do the same thing forever. Humans have interesting tools and arts at their disposal. The rat plague was interesting. Who cares if humans kill everything, the planet's about to fall into a black hole in a thousand years or so.

Unfortunately, according to the wiki, the writers have clarified that the Outsider has some incredibly banal, boring origins. It's just the remnants of a child sacrifice from 4000 years ago, instead of some primal force of nature that has spontaneously gained sapience. The Outsider even has moral preferences.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I legit like the Outsider. His look, his voice, his general persona, I'm on board of that train.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Iceclaw posted:

Play the first, DLC and all. It's a great game.

I definitely want to play the first - I was more asking if any information was out there about the Dishonored Definitive Edition that's coming out for PS4. I'm wondering if they've updated the graphics and/or engine, or if it's basically the PS3 game re-released on PS4.

The re-release is only 40 bucks on Amazon and coming out in August, but if there's literally no difference between it and the last gen version, I might as well go ahead and buy the GOTY edition for 15 bucks on the 360 right now.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

I definitely want to play the first - I was more asking if any information was out there about the Dishonored Definitive Edition that's coming out for PS4. I'm wondering if they've updated the graphics and/or engine, or if it's basically the PS3 game re-released on PS4.

The re-release is only 40 bucks on Amazon and coming out in August, but if there's literally no difference between it and the last gen version, I might as well go ahead and buy the GOTY edition for 15 bucks on the 360 right now.

I've only played this game on PC, so I cannot speak to 360/PS3 versions. But I will say that the game is no technological power-house. Texture and model fidelity is fairly low, even on maxed settings, compared to other UE games that released round the same time. 'Stock UE3', if you will. It certainly looks great, but this is due to its strong design aesthetic and world building.

That is to say, if Dishonored:DE is basically the PC version (in parity terms), it probably isn't a compelling proposition versus previous gen. Unless the 360/PS3 versions had notably poo poo framerates perhaps (assuming a current-gen release would be 60FPS). I say buy the GOTY edition on 360.

Edit: I mean, poo poo, if it turns out they *do* do a lot with a revamped version, to such an extent that you want to check it out, you've only smoked 15 bucks.

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2015

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Lord Lambeth posted:

The characters are honestly so forgettable in dishonored I'm surprised I even remembered her name. Whatever though, I'm jazzed we're getting new dishonored. I hope corvo is old and wrinkley.

You bite your tongue, sir. Emily Kaldwin is the driving force of the first Dishonored. If your stone heart wasn't moved even in the slightest by rescuing her, I don't know what to say to you.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I vividly remember her pictures in my Dishonored 1 genocide run. I've created a monster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked that it was a farily low-key story.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Megazver posted:

I legit like the Outsider. His look, his voice, his general persona, I'm on board of that train.

Well sir, I DISAGREE! :mad:

I'm really excited to play another of these, as the first had some absolutely top-quality gameplay, setting and level design. But man, that outsider. I don't know if it' some sort of cultural, post Neil-Gaiman fatigue or whatever, but I'm getting real tired of eldritch forces beyond the ken of mortal man manifesting as bored, distant, slightly emotionless white guys.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Alain Post posted:

It's a refreshing new setting, free of bethesda storytelling or misuse of morality and overwrought characters like ubisoft. The twist was that there were no unnecessary plot elements or hamfisted twists attached to the gameplay and that was a breath of fresh air. It could have been so much worse so I'm hopefully they can deliver another good thief experience.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Delacroix posted:

It's a refreshing new setting, free of bethesda storytelling or misuse of morality and overwrought characters like ubisoft. The twist was that there were no unnecessary plot elements or hamfisted twists attached to the gameplay and that was a breath of fresh air. It could have been so much worse so I'm hopefully they can deliver another good thief experience.
One thing I do like about the plot is while its braindead obvious that Havelock and his crew are going to betray you they all acknowledge it was a really frickin' stupid idea made of desperation and that Corvo is most likely going to survive and come back to murder them all. The low chaos ending really gets this across where Havelock knows they are all hosed so he just offs Pendleton and Martin and just patiently waits for Corvo to finish the job.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Accordion Man posted:

One thing I do like about the plot is while its braindead obvious that Havelock and his crew are going to betray you they all acknowledge it was a really frickin' stupid idea made of desperation and that Corvo is most likely going to survive and come back to murder them all. The low chaos ending really gets this across where Havelock knows they are all hosed so he just offs Pendleton and Martin and just patiently waits for Corvo to finish the job.

I was a little surprised it was played straight. It's the logical conclusion of consolidating all the power of the previous government into the hands of another, select few. Well obviously the deniable asset is a loose end flapping in the wind. At least they had the dignity to not attach "but think of the children if you stop us!" onto the end of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah. I mainly liked that it was basically portrayed as the loyalists losing their nerve and panicking, and not "ha ha ha this was our evil plan all along".

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Agreed, that was a pretty well written twist on an old cliché. In every cases, the Loyalists just made one decision in the wake of getting everything too easily and quickly, and it backfires in their face and either they just break down and start infighting, or just give up.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

When I got to that part I was expecting some sort of betrayal, but I wasn't sure of whom and in what form. The Heart describes the main conspirators as morally grey so it could've been anyone, in my mind, but I didn't expect a conspiracy of all three of them. It was an okay twist but I would've preferred if the game foreshadowed Corvo's position in a new government to be problematic, cause I kept thinking that the attempt is extremely dangerous given that they all know how nigh-unstoppable Corvo is, and kind of dumb for that reason.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The conspirators were too cowardly and afraid of one another, even at that point, to kill Corvo themselves. None of them could administer the poison, or slit the throat of Corvo's unconscious body. None of them could bear being known as "the one who actually killed Corvo" to the other two, because they knew in their heart of hearts that they would be the first of the three to be stabbed in their sleep by the others. This way, they could pretend that the decision was made by the collective.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Power corrupts" is a solid theme throughout and I much prefer the darker ending for that reason. I'll never argue the story is particularly deep (even if the world's quite interesting) but I did like how everyone used different takes on the same topics.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I'm nothing but optimistic for this one. Say what you will about certain parts being a little boring or this or that, but overall it's a pretty solid plot. Considering how many other games are hammy, dull, or just have bad writing, the first Dishonored is something of a success in my opinion. I'd rather it be a little predictable over it trying to hard to be new and edgy.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Alain Post posted:

Yeah, it never felt like it got in the way, but gave me sufficient motivation and context to do Cool poo poo. Not every game needs to be like this, but I certainly think more games should.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, my impression was that the Outsider was a whale god, emphasis less on whale, more on god. The Outsider wasn't interested in saving its fellow whales, and more on observing the humans as they meddled and politicked with one another. Whale culture is boring. They just hang out and eat and sing songs and do the same thing forever. Humans have interesting tools and arts at their disposal. The rat plague was interesting. Who cares if humans kill everything, the planet's about to fall into a black hole in a thousand years or so.

Unfortunately, according to the wiki, the writers have clarified that the Outsider has some incredibly banal, boring origins. It's just the remnants of a child sacrifice from 4000 years ago, instead of some primal force of nature that has spontaneously gained sapience. The Outsider even has moral preferences.

Well, that sucks. I assumed by his name that he is not native to this world and thus his detached interest and simultaneously disgust of human affairs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I'm nothing but optimistic for this one. Say what you will about certain parts being a little boring or this or that, but overall it's a pretty solid plot. Considering how many other games are hammy, dull, or just have bad writing, the first Dishonored is something of a success in my opinion. I'd rather it be a little predictable over it trying to hard to be new and edgy.

My problem with Dishonored's story is threefold:

A) Thief might be my favourite game of all time. I think those games have one of the best stories in video games, both in terms of presentation and writing, there was a sense of mythology and detail to that world that as far as I'm concerned is unparalleled in this medium. Dishonored is in many ways a spiritual successor to Thief, both from the legacy of the developers and from the way the game is designed, it is arguably a better Thief 4 than the actual Thief 4. I think the game lives up to Thief's legacy in every aspect apart from the story. Granted, this was a personal expectation, and Arkane are not necessarily at fault for failing to live up to expectations set by a different series. However:

B) Leading up to the release of the game they did such a good job of building up Dunwall. Never mind that the city looked really cool and interesting from the very first screenshots and trailers, there was an underlying mystique and a strong atmosphere there that confidently set the tone before you even played the game. So when it came out and the story was a substandard video game revenge/betrayal plot, that was a big disappointment. They put out a series of animated shorts just before release called the Tales From Dunwall that I still feel are better examples of storytelling and world building than anything in the actual game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzY9TaNUBHo

C) Generally the story and writing just failed to live up to every other aspect of the game, from the world and level design, to the movement mechanics, the art and sound design, etc.. It was one of my favourite games that year, I think nearly every aspect of it is impeccable, again, apart from the story. Ultimately this didn't end up being a huge factor, as I still loved the game a whole lot, but that one thing probably kept it from being the game of a generation for me. It's largely a first world problem, but still, it's an aspect that I really hope they improve for the sequel, because I think it's the most obvious, glaring flaw of the first game. If they can pull it off, Dishonored 2 could really be something else. The fact that they named Emily Kaldwin in the trailer should be a big deal, but all it managed to evoke in me was "huh... is that the girl from the first game? gently caress if I can remember her name", which is not an ideal response to the sequel to one of my favourite games of the past few years. It speaks as much to how incredible the rest of that game was as it does to how forgettable the story was.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 20, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Why are you so wrong about everything, Hakkesshu? :colbert: Does it hurt? Is it contagious?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What's he wrong about? I'm in 100% agreement with him.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I mostly liked the gameplay. The plot was servicable, but not obnoxious; the quality of the setting itself carried it, in my opinion...

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
As far as 2 goes I'm really liking the idea of the leader of a sovereign nation dropping down from the rafters and shanking people. I mean, I'm sure Emily will somehow have been dethroned given the title of the series and what happened to Corvo, but I hope she really is just a ruler who does her own wetwork.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

So if Emily is a loving assassin now, that means Corvo turned out to be an abject loving failure of a father. Unless it's going to turn out that Emily was deposed, like, immediately after the events of Dishonored, and grew up on the run with Corvo, which is why she knows all this stuff. I'd be down with that.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
From what little we know about the story from the trailer/press conference, Emily was deposed by some ~otherworldly force~ IIRC. She probably gets her powers immediately before the events of the game, like Corvo did in Dishonored. The Outsider's MO seems to be wait for something unjust and terrible to happen to someone, give them powers, and give them a nudge to use it for revenge something interesting

It doesn't necessarily mean Corvo was a terrible father or even that the High Chaos ending is canon, Corvo was just a bodyguard before he got all his kill people powers.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dramatika posted:

It doesn't necessarily mean Corvo was a terrible father or even that the High Chaos ending is canon, Corvo was just a bodyguard before he got all his kill people powers.

Corvo was clearly some kind of murderbadass, and widely known to be, even before the Outsider gave him magic powers. That's presumably why the Empress sent him on the mission he's returning from at the beginning, and why the loyalists immediately trust him to carry out dangerous missions completely on his own. They don't know about the Outsider powers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

What's he wrong about? I'm in 100% agreement with him.

Because the story in Dishonored was just fine. :colbert:

DStecks posted:

So if Emily is a loving assassin now, that means Corvo turned out to be an abject loving failure of a father. Unless it's going to turn out that Emily was deposed, like, immediately after the events of Dishonored, and grew up on the run with Corvo, which is why she knows all this stuff. I'd be down with that.

I mean, given what happened to them in the first game, him training her to kick rear end just in case, even when she was still an Empress, isn't outlandish.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DStecks posted:

Emily's had a taste of power, look at her clothing. She's decked out like some kind of aristocratic dandy, nice coats made from expensive materials, shiny leather boots, an ornate crossbow. Stuff that's way too ostentatious for someone who'd been on the run, but appropriate for a rich tomboy who'd suddenly lost the source of her authority.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DStecks posted:

Corvo did teach her back in Dishonored 1. At one point, if I heard right, she can choke out a guard no problem, and she explains that Corvo taught her.

He's a good father.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dramatika posted:

The Outsider's MO seems to be enable something unjust and terrible to happen to someone, give them powers, and give them a nudge to use it for revenge something interesting.

Fixed that for you. This is another weakness of Dishonored. IIRC, at one point, the Outsider was supposed to be much more overtly evil, or at least mischievous, and you gained more powers for doing nasty stuff. They changed him to be more neutral during development, but there's still a bunch of vestiges of that design in the game - Poisoning the bootleg elixir still that is the only thing keeping the plague at bay for a lot of poor folks, him giving you the trapped spirit of your dead lover as a toy tool, the way a ton of people in the game got driven insane by contact to runes and bone charms.

Corvo's attitude towards the Outsider should be ambiguous at best, assuming he isn't too dense to figure out whose heart the Outsider gave him, or, you know, that the assassins that murdered the empress had the exact same power he's given you. Or that he waited six months, until the city went much farther down the drain and Corvo broke out on his own, before giving him said power. But since Corvo is a voiceless protagonist, and you only ever get to listen to the Outsider monologue at you, that conflict is practically non-existent in the storyline.

All that said, what really raises my expectations for Dishonored 2 was that, along with the biggest gameplay problem that there weren't a whole lot of non-lethal options, they really fixed a lot of the narrative flaws that the main game had in the Daud DLC. Hakkesshu, have you played those?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

All that said, what really raises my expectations for Dishonored 2 was that, along with the biggest gameplay problem that there weren't a whole lot of non-lethal options, they really fixed a lot of the narrative flaws that the main game had in the Daud DLC. Hakkesshu, have you played those?

Yes, I have, and I agree they do a better job with the narrative (making Corvo a silent protagonist really was a huge mistake IMO), along with improving the gameplay, so that makes me hopeful.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hakkesshu posted:

My problem with Dishonored's story is threefold:

A) Thief might be my favourite game of all time. I think those games have one of the best stories in video games, both in terms of presentation and writing, there was a sense of mythology and detail to that world that as far as I'm concerned is unparalleled in this medium. Dishonored is in many ways a spiritual successor to Thief, both from the legacy of the developers and from the way the game is designed, it is arguably a better Thief 4 than the actual Thief 4. I think the game lives up to Thief's legacy in every aspect apart from the story. Granted, this was a personal expectation, and Arkane are not necessarily at fault for failing to live up to expectations set by a different series. However:

B) Leading up to the release of the game they did such a good job of building up Dunwall. Never mind that the city looked really cool and interesting from the very first screenshots and trailers, there was an underlying mystique and a strong atmosphere there that confidently set the tone before you even played the game. So when it came out and the story was a substandard video game revenge/betrayal plot, that was a big disappointment. They put out a series of animated shorts just before release called the Tales From Dunwall that I still feel are better examples of storytelling and world building than anything in the actual game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzY9TaNUBHo

C) Generally the story and writing just failed to live up to every other aspect of the game, from the world and level design, to the movement mechanics, the art and sound design, etc.. It was one of my favourite games that year, I think nearly every aspect of it is impeccable, again, apart from the story. Ultimately this didn't end up being a huge factor, as I still loved the game a whole lot, but that one thing probably kept it from being the game of a generation for me. It's largely a first world problem, but still, it's an aspect that I really hope they improve for the sequel, because I think it's the most obvious, glaring flaw of the first game. If they can pull it off, Dishonored 2 could really be something else. The fact that they named Emily Kaldwin in the trailer should be a big deal, but all it managed to evoke in me was "huh... is that the girl from the first game? gently caress if I can remember her name", which is not an ideal response to the sequel to one of my favourite games of the past few years. It speaks as much to how incredible the rest of that game was as it does to how forgettable the story was.

I agree with a lot of this. I was completely on board from the first images I saw of D1, but in the end the game didn't really live up to the premise of its world-building. It felt like half a game, and running through it in stealth mode made for a really uneventful experience, and a premature-feeling ending. I was actually quite excited to hear more about the uninhabitable mainland across the ocean that they talked about, the whales, the economy and ecosystems, and the mysteries about the outsider.

In the end it felt like the game couldn't deliver on the scope. But oh well, it was a good first try for a relatively small studio getting its big break, and I'd give Dunwall another shot if the studio can bring more to the table than binary choices and blinking mechanics. Nice to see that the game found an audience, though I'm a bit surprised that we have a thread already and that all the fuss was just over a cinematic trailer.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 21, 2015

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm disappointed that the plot is a complete retread of the first game. Another corrupt aristocrat ruling over a decaying city with oppressive technology, another plague (bats instead of rats). Bleh.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is Brigmore Witches worth buying for $8?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

the black husserl posted:

I'm disappointed that the plot is a complete retread of the first game. Another corrupt aristocrat ruling over a decaying city with oppressive technology, another plague (bats instead of rats). Bleh.

Good call on dubbing the game à complete retread even though we know next to nothing save for "Dishonored person out for reclaiming their revenge and title".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Yes.

Three good missions, fun new powers, and lots of exploding witches. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

You should just buy the entire Game of the Year edition for $8 for all the DLCs on Steam right now. Hell, even just the Witches are 50% off.

• Locked thread