Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Have you ever wanted to make your own Mario levels? Well, the technology's been around for years. Now, though, you can go beyond what Lunar Magic can do by giving Mario a Spiny hat or making giant Cheep Cheeps come out of pipes or driving the Koopa Clown Car, and that's just what we've seen so far! This September, Nintendo releases their official 'please don't ROM hack anymore' game, Super Mario Maker. There is no story; the joy will be in making and sharing your own abominations with friends and playing their deathtraps. While we don't know how much of an rear end in a top hat you can be with the development, keep in mind that each of the four tilesets (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U) will have their respective laws. Yes, this is a full $60 game, but it's safe to say that it's going to be well worth it.

Hopefully, if there is sharing between non-NNID friends, I'll list the best goon levels in this spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwO09vJAPDs

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can't believe a video game tournament actually made me excited for this. I was thinking about skipping out on this when they first talked about it a year ago.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah, after seeing it today I'm really excited about it. They've shown off all four different modes, and they all have that game's specific moves and enemies/objects, with the possibility for giant confusing deathtraps.

As opposed to last year when they showed it off, and it could only make really small levels with a very small selection of objects, and you could only change from NES to NSMB mode, though it didn't actually change anything other than the appearance.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Here's the segment from yesterday's Nintendo Super Blast Tournament of Champions: 2015 Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9H8VcU21j4

Shows off a decent deal of what will be possible. Looks rad!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
From the official trailer, it looks like everyone can share levels!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It also comes complete with some pretty sweet amiibo integration which can also be unlocked without said amiibo's in case you either don't care or are one of the many people who can't get them.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I'd pay an absurd amount for DLC of the SMB2 tileset.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo did three Treehouse presentations for Mario Maker yesterday:

Presentation #1 - Miyamoto and Tezuka, bullshitting and showing off the basic features

Presentation #2 - Treehouse dudes showcasing the online sharing functionality, Miiverse integration, Amiibo costumes

Presentation #3 - some bullshitting from the Treehouse guys who made the NWC levels, with a cameo from Miyamoto/Tezuka at the end

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the Mario Maker footage from today's Treehouse stream. There's a lot of additional footage from news websites floating around, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two more Treehouse demos - click (2hrs24mins), click again (6hrs20mins).

Some more details on the amiibo/mystery mushroom skins: the menu has slots for 90 skins, and you don't need the amiibo to play courses that use those skins.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 19, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This E3 really turned me around on this game. Not only does it look like it's capable of some really neat stuff, it looks so intuitive that even I want to give whipping up some levels a shot.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

some GIFs for the thread

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The whole "do the level, then open the editor so you can see your trajectory" thing is pure genius, if it wasn't in the game I'm not even sure I would have thought of it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello, Mario Maker looks great and I really hope I don't die before the game comes out, thank you

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Two more Treehouse demos - click (2hrs24mins), click again (6hrs20mins).

Some more details on the amiibo/mystery mushroom skins: the menu has slots for 90 skins, and you don't need the amiibo to play courses that use those skins.

:psyduck: are there even close to 90 different Amiibo out?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

OldSenileGuy posted:

:psyduck: are there even 90 different Amiibo out?

There are going to be a lot of non-Amiibo skins I'm sure.

Alternately, every single Animal Crossing villager card will be a playable character.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

OldSenileGuy posted:

:psyduck: are there even close to 90 different Amiibo out?

Smash has 55 characters and they all have/will have an Amiibo. Animal Crossing is getting 8 Amiibo plus hundreds of Amiibo cards. There's a Super Mario series that has some exclusive characters or variants of characters, Splatoon has 3 Amiibo, fuckin' Chibi-Robo is getting an Amiibo... so to answer your question, they definitely won't be able to fill 90 slots straight away but if they keep cranking out Amiibo it won't take very long.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You can unlock skins through 100 Mario Challenge, so you won't necessarily need amiibos and not all of them will probably be amiibos.

Can you imagine if Pac-Man and Mega Man are in this game? Pac-Man and Mega Man in an actual (sort of) Mario game? Shiiiiit.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If Sonic is a skin for Mario people will lose their minds

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I just wanna know if I can have a Yoshi riding a Yoshi.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rocketlex posted:

I just wanna know if I can have a Yoshi riding a Yoshi.

Doesn't look like it. Mario 1 and 3 use Kuribo Shoe instead of Yoshi

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Honestly, if it weren't for the amiibo costumes only working with SMB1 mode, why would you play anything other than SMW?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

mabels big day posted:

Honestly, if it weren't for the amiibo costumes only working with SMB1 mode, why would you play anything other than SMW?

Mario 3's style is pretty rad, plus they already have the sprites for Feather/Cape Mario from SMB3 Advance, so it might have cape AND raccoon Mario.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The implications of this level alone boggle my mind with how much is possible in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KVgtwdd0IM

If you put a Boo in a Clown Car, it has unique AI for how it drives it!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

mabels big day posted:

Because Super Mario Bros. 3.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Clown Car's eyes even close when you're facing it :3:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mabels big day posted:

I like the NSMB moveset.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Super Mario Maker does look phenomenally well done considering how much potential there is with the mechanics they've shown so far (not to mention there's likely even more we don't know about yet!). It's been really neat to see all the links to videos people have posted, so thanks for sharing them in the thread!

Is anyone already thinking of ideas for stages they'll create? It will be exciting to see what everyone comes up with in September!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Note the ability to place 1up limitations on levels where riciulous combos are possible or necessary.

Is there any confirmation on whether we'll be able to construct entire worlds or games, or choose to play saved/downloaded levels in self-contructed sets, or if it'll always be just one level at a time?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 19, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are no overworlds or anything like that. 100-Man Mario arranges stages pulled from the internet into a pseudo-game, and I think you can arrange stages into SMB-tyle four-stage worlds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I hope the Koopalings are in the game so I can make a Level where you have to fight all 7 of them at once.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

There are no overworlds or anything like that. 100-Man Mario arranges stages pulled from the internet into a pseudo-game, and I think you can arrange stages into SMB-tyle four-stage worlds.

I wasn't asking about overworlds or maps, just the ability to play levels one after the other.

Is it possible to download specific levels by people not on your friends list?

How many levels will the game come with?

Is there any chance of DLC?

Are certain elements (such as items, enemies etc.) tied to certain graphical modes (which, asstated, have their own rulesets)?)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I would pay moneys for an all star skin over the SMB and SMB3 levels.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

BiggerJ posted:

Is it possible to download specific levels by people not on your friends list?

How many levels will the game come with?

Is there any chance of DLC?

Are certain elements (such as items, enemies etc.) tied to certain graphical modes (which, asstated, have their own rulesets)?)

Yes, you're not restricted to sharing with people on your friends list.

They haven't said how many games the game will come with but there are already a lot of levels in the online database and the game comes packaged with a book that contains a bunch more stages.

If you mean paid DLC that adds more features to the editor, I haven't seen them mention anything thus far. If you mean new stages made by people at Nintendo, almost definitely.

Yes, certain powerups and abilities are restricted to certain styles - you can't use the cape outside of the SMW style, for example. I think all the enemies work across all styles, though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i have never been more excited for a videogame in the entire 23 year history of playing and enjoying and looking forward to videogames. this is not hyperbole.

who else here is going to try and win one of those limited packs where you have to make your own video?

who else has their younger selves designs all ready to go for release day?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I had a really weird moment of worry about this last night.

I'm super excited for it, but I'm worried that the temptation to make supercrazyhard levels will mean that we won't see levels that are just good, if that makes sense? I love weird gimmick levels as much as the next guy, but I'd really, really love to play levels that are good because they're great examples of platforming, rather than just levels that show off what a sadist the creator is. Levels of the calibre of, say, Donut Plains 3 or something (I don't remember if that was a particularly ace level, that's just me pulling a SMW level out of my rear end because they're all lovely. Apart from Tubular. That can go gently caress itself.)

Oh god I'm not even making sense am I?

I guess I'm just hoping that in amongst all the lolcock levels and the rear end in a top hat Mario levels, there will be some that are just solid examples platform gaming done good.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Yes, you're not restricted to sharing with people on your friends list.

They haven't said how many games the game will come with but there are already a lot of levels in the online database and the game comes packaged with a book that contains a bunch more stages.

If you mean paid DLC that adds more features to the editor, I haven't seen them mention anything thus far. If you mean new stages made by people at Nintendo, almost definitely.

Yes, certain powerups and abilities are restricted to certain styles - you can't use the cape outside of the SMW style, for example. I think all the enemies work across all styles, though.

Yeah they said they made enemies work on all styles, including making new sprites for enemies that didn't exist in previous styles. Boo in SMB style, for example.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
forgive me if this has been answered in the videos, but in regards to music and sounds I am assuming that the SMB1 is 8bit and so on for respective tilesets. If you were to take a NSMB music track could you put it in SMB1 and would it play an 8bit version and vice versa with any of the others?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think you can manually assign songs to stages, they're automatically selected depending on the combination of skin (SMB/SMB3/SMW/NSMB) and level type (above-ground, underground, underwater, castle, airship, ghost house). There are new tunes/arranges for the combos that didn't originally exist - SMW has a new arranged airship tune, SMB has new tunes for airship/ghost house, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I don't think you can manually assign songs to stages, they're automatically selected depending on the combination of skin (SMB/SMB3/SMW/NSMB) and level type (above-ground, underground, underwater, castle, airship, ghost house). There are new tunes/arranges for the combos that didn't originally exist - SMW has a new arranged airship tune, SMB has new tunes for airship/ghost house, etc.

that is still exceptionally cool

• Locked thread