Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, wearing a mystery mushroom skin changes the sfx.

For those who haven't seen it, Game Center CX did a live event where Arino challenged a bunch of people to play his Mario Maker stages, including Miyamoto. (He also attempts to play SMB with a Mario DDR dance mat.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9I5rH_yqo

I'm legit impressed how quickly he got the hang of using a dance pad to handle Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Kurtofan posted:

Did it play the yoshi island goal cleared theme? GOTY

In my head it immediately went to the clear screen music that follows. I want Yoshi's Island DLC for Mario Maker already. Any price.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

So I played a little bit of this at the local Best Buy today, Nintendo was there doin' a demo. It seems like it's gonna be pretty awesome. All they had was a series of premade levels, but there was a lot of variety. I'm sold on the concept of an endless stream of SMW Special levels alone. They had some levels with probably 200 sprites on the screen at once after they throw a star your way. It was madness.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Got to play "Super Mario Maker" and I can honestly say this is the end all 2D Mario Platformer. It is just way too much fun.

Stuff I saw that I didn't see reported elsewhere (my apologies for repeat information).

*The Nintendo Rep said that in order to upload a level you create yourself, you first must beat the level yourself. This will obviously prevent people from uploading levels that cannot be done.

*One level had the "Beanie Cap" power up from New Super Mario Bros Wii. That was unexpected.

*The throwbacks to the SNES Mario Paint saving music is :mario:

*Somehow there is a way to change music/sound effects. I saw a person die on a Super Mario Bros 1 tileset level and when they died the death sound jingle was different. They were still 8 bit Mario and weren't under the influence of an Amiibo Mushroom so somehow you can toggle music it seems.

This game has infinite replay value. Part of the fun is seeing a combination of something that you've never seen before or dreamed of (here comes a GIANT Bowser in the Koopa Clown Car) for example. I love it and playing it made me want the game even more.

Kuribo's Shoe = Game of the Year.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Spectacle Rock posted:

Kuribo's Shoe = Game of the Year.

Birdo's Stiletto = Game of the Year

I'm hoping there's some kind of music editing functionality built in, like mario paint, but haven't seen any mention of it.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
So what are they doing to combat dick shaped things in uploaded levels, does it still go through moderator approval or is there a report system?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Spectral Werewolf posted:

So what are they doing to combat dick shaped things in uploaded levels, does it still go through moderator approval or is there a report system?

Sounds like a little of column A and a little of column B. Users will be pushed towards a curated list of the best content to keep the less-desirable content off the surface, though there will likely be a report system if you descend into Dickville of your own free will.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Rocketlex posted:

Sounds like a little of column A and a little of column B. Users will be pushed towards a curated list of the best content to keep the less-desirable content off the surface, though there will likely be a report system if you descend into Dickville of your own free will.

I hope there's a way to sort by newest upload. There's bound to be some short lived gems amidst the billion clones of W1-1.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's 20+ minutes of footage with audio; you get to hear the SMB3 ghost house tune and the SMW castle theme with added Yoshi percussion, among other things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ASTsZLEPc

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Even worst: The game comes out on Sept 11. How fast until some one makes a two towers level?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

What if we want dicks in our levels? Can levels be sent directly person to person, without risk of getting banned on miiverse because our level says gently caress in ? blocks

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Course World database is split into three sections - Nintendo-curated courses, high-rated courses and new courses - and you can further narrow your search based on upload date, region and difficulty (determined based on the percentage of players who were able to beat the course). You can also view a list of popular creators based on ranking, view their uploaded courses and courses they've rated and follow individual creators. (I have no idea if you can do non-public trades with friends... maybe they'll add player communities?)

If you don't want to think too hard, you can just play the 100 Mario Challenge mode which automatically pulls stages from the database and challenges you to clear them all within 100 tries.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BexGu posted:

Even worst: The game comes out on Sept 11. How fast until some one makes a two towers level?

Implying this won't happen anyway

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Here's 20+ minutes of footage with audio; you get to hear the SMB3 ghost house tune and the SMW castle theme with added Yoshi percussion, among other things:

drat they added in drum rhythms for the castle stages in SMW that you normally couldn't bring Yoshi into. Baaallllllllllllllleeeeeeerrrrrr

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

drat they added in drum rhythms for the castle stages in SMW that you normally couldn't bring Yoshi into. Baaallllllllllllllleeeeeeerrrrrr

Is there any detail they HAVEN'T thought of? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can't lock the camera from scrolling to the left in SMB stages, that's one.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I can't wait to clear my full friends list so I can share Mario Maker levels with goons and no longer be able to Smash or Splatoon with friends.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Honestly? I don't think that's a very big omission. It would be too easy to make "traps" by making an open box that becomes inescapable when you scroll too far. Didn't pick the correct path? Have fun waiting out the timer before you can try again!

That part always felt like a limitation of SMB1's engine to me anyway.

Speaking of picking the right path, I wonder if we'll be able to make those looping mazes that appeared in some of the castles.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zonekeeper posted:

Honestly? I don't think that's a very big omission. It would be too easy to make "traps" by making an open box that becomes inescapable when you scroll too far. Didn't pick the correct path? Have fun waiting out the timer before you can try again!

That part always felt like a limitation of SMB1's engine to me anyway.

Speaking of picking the right path, I wonder if we'll be able to make those looping mazes that appeared in some of the castles.

I was thinking about that, and maybe it being a thought out decision, but couldn't you just make a giant pit people can't jump out of?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I don't think that was overlooked though. I think that was removed cause it might not play nice with everything else. Plus honestly I just don't think it's a fun mechanic and they chose to leave that out for that reason

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Super Mario Bros isn't supposed to scroll left or vertically.

Sprites aren't supposed to rotate in these games.

You can't ride beetle shells or wear shells on your head. There is no spiny shell, they just die!

Powerups aren't supposed to interact with springs.

How dare they expand on the original engines with this garbage? They even messed up the horizontal sprite limit, ugh! I'll stick to Lunar Magic thank you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

elf help book posted:

I was thinking about that, and maybe it being a thought out decision, but couldn't you just make a giant pit people can't jump out of?

Levels that can't be completed can't be uploaded. You have to beat it yourself first.

Hide a secret feather kn an otherwise unnoteworthy location and now we're talking.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Bee posted:

Levels that can't be completed can't be uploaded. You have to beat it yourself first.

Hide a secret feather kn an otherwise unnoteworthy location and now we're talking.

I think he meant more along the lines of a trap that forces the player to wait out the clock by picking a wrong pipe or door, for example. The level's still beatable, but the creator trolls the player by giving them no way to die quickly if they gently caress up and take that door.

The main difference, I think, is that the inescapable box/path has a chance to be made accidentally in an otherwise normal level if left scrolling is turned off, while the pit 'o slow death has to be a conscious decision no matter what engine you make it in.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

You can't ride beetle shells or wear shells on your head. There is no spiny shell, they just die!

How dare they expand on the original engines with this garbage? They even messed up the horizontal sprite limit, ugh! I'll stick to Lunar Magic thank you.

No one is saying this, but it would be nice having total control over how levels work so that you could theoretically recreate SMB 1 in its entirety. More options is always good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Heran Bago posted:

Noone cares that it's not an exact replica of the original games (I lied, lots of people care and their purchase is entirely contingent on feature xyz being 1:1 to each game, they're dumb) but I do wish they'd give you more freedom to play with the structure a little - not just through older features like locking the screen scroll or SMB castle loops or whatever but newer features like red coins and NSMB2 coin rush or even just being able to put the flagpole on the far left rather than the far right or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Noone cares that it's not an exact replica of the original games (I lied, lots of people care and their purchase is entirely contingent on feature xyz being 1:1 to each game, they're dumb) but I do wish they'd give you more freedom to play with the structure a little - not just through older features like locking the screen scroll or SMB castle loops or whatever but newer features like red coins and NSMB2 coin rush or even just being able to put the flagpole on the far left rather than the far right or something.

Keep in mind we still haven't seen everything Mario Maker has to offer yet. They said as much during the Treehouse. There still might be tons of features and toys we haven't found out about yet.

I'm still hoping for something that allows me to basically make DKC Minecart stages besides those moving platforms

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I really hope one of the things we haven't seen yet is a world map editor, because that's the only way having hidden exits could make sense. I suppose we could put secret areas with lots of coins and 1ups as rewards, but it won't be the same if you don't unlock a secret level with it!

Edit: and pursuant to that, they should have keys/keyholes.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 25, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

For those of you that are pining for SMB2 assets, skip to 13:44 to see some Subspace doors (probably just re-purposed for use with the SMB3 tileset)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nintendo's UK site mentions that there will be 100 levels on the disk. That's the most levels of any Mario to date - the previous titleholder was apparently SMB3 with 90 levels.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
this is the first time ive been excited for a day of tradgey.
i feel like nintendo is trying to help those damaged people heal by choosing the release date they have. games are good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the Bowser skin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbeOoo3CPos

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I haven't seen a little amiibo character get a super mushroom yet. I wonder if you can do that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I haven't seen a little amiibo character get a super mushroom yet. I wonder if you can do that.
Amiibo costumes are a powerup in themselves. They basically act the same as the Super Mushroom with a little extra flair.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

I cannot loving wait to play this game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo UK is streaming the game from some event: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk?utm_medium=Nintendo+UK&utm_source=twitter

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Has there been any word on whether there'll be DLC? Because I'd buy the stuff from Mario 2 (so much oddball junk - vegetables, items, bosses, the killer bird mask, Subspace, Birdo...) in a heartbeat. And classic level packs would be good too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They said that they think there's enough poo poo in the game and that there's no plans at the moment.

People are already making automatic levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1BMGi3BdoY

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
based on mk8, hyrules warriors, splatoon and smash bros I'd say the chance of good dlc of that nature is a high possibility. they know people are going to want to use other tilsets. just having four to start gives them time to work on others.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo updated their Japanese site to confirm Mario Maker will support all the existing Amiibo with the exception of Mii Fighter, including the Pokemon Amiibo and several Animal Crossing cards. 99 skins total.

Digital download size is 1.4GB, and you can play with the gamepad, sideways Wiimote, Classic Controller or Pro Controller.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Digital download size is 1.4GB, and you can play with the gamepad, sideways Wiimote, Classic Controller or Pro Controller.

Exceptionally happy about this! Sideways wiimote is my favourite plat forming controller. Marios are best with it :>

• Locked thread