Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't if people have noticed this, but you know how in most Mario games when you're small and the item is always a mushroom, and if you're big the item is always a sequential power up?

That's not in this either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Szmitten posted:

I don't if people have noticed this, but you know how in most Mario games when you're small and the item is always a mushroom, and if you're big the item is always a sequential power up?

That's not in this either.

Maybe they could include sequential items, Super/Fire and Super/Flight.

Apparently a Nintendo rep at a Best Buy demo said there were no plans for DLC, at least for now. Has it been confirmed whether there'll ever DLC or free content updates?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BiggerJ posted:

Maybe they could include sequential items, Super/Fire and Super/Flight.

Apparently a Nintendo rep at a Best Buy demo said there were no plans for DLC, at least for now. Has it been confirmed whether there'll ever DLC or free content updates?

They said that about Smash too

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Some random Nintendo rep isn't necessarily liable to know anything about future DLC. No plans is probably the official word, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Like everything else it probably depends on how successful the game is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm not French but Michel Ancel sure as hell is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8eaYoTGTA

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is no way they aren't turning this into a cash cow with new tile sets, hth

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here are some more Facebook-designed levels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O__rmomBw0

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Did we already know about all the stuff in this new trailer?

Like the sound effect maker? I...I can just imagine the horrors the call support staff are going to have to field once the game comes out.

So please do not try to record fart noises by placing the gamepad directly behind your rear end.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Holy poo poo the Pokémon amiibo actually work with this game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

They're still trying really hard not to say "September 11th" which makes me wonder why they didn't change it ages ago.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Holy poo poo, that's amazing! I really didn't expect them to include tools for musical levels! Although I wonder how Nintendo will deal with all the levels in which every tile yells "YOURE A FAG TROLLED" at you.
I really hope this game will get a lot of good levels. Since, if I remember correctly, you can unlock Amiibo skins in challenge modes, I'm kinda worried that there will be a bunch of easy "Have a free skin!" levels.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 12, 2015

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vookatos posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing! I really didn't expect them to include tools for musical levels! Although I wonder how Nintendo will deal with all the levels in which every tile yells "YOURE A FAG TROLLED" at you.
I really hope this game will get a lot of good levels. Since, if I remember correctly, you can unlock Amiibo skins in challenge modes, I'm kinda worried that there will be a bunch of easy "Have a free skin!" levels.
There might be, the LittleBigPlanet games had plenty of user-created levels to easily unlock everything

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Color Printer posted:

They're still trying really hard not to say "September 11th" which makes me wonder why they didn't change it ages ago.

There's really no reason to shy away from 9/11 as a date. Its just a day. Yeah, something really lovely happened on that day 14 years ago, but I don't see any reason to get all sensitive about not releasing things on that particular day going forward.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

jivjov posted:

There's really no reason to shy away from 9/11 as a date. Its just a day. Yeah, something really lovely happened on that day 14 years ago, but I don't see any reason to get all sensitive about not releasing things on that particular day going forward.

And that's why you don't work in marketing.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I don't know if I wanna see how King D looks as a costume. Seeing how they have to shrink down characters like Bowser and DK he's probably going to have to be slimmed down as well I reckon.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
More to the point, its the Friday before the 13th of September, which will be 30 years to the day since the Japanese release of the original Super Mario Bros.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Did all the Limited Editions that come with the classic Mario amiibo sell out or are they coming later or what? I wanted to pre-order one but I can only find the base edition listed anywhere.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

CapnAndy posted:

Did all the Limited Editions that come with the classic Mario amiibo sell out or are they coming later or what? I wanted to pre-order one but I can only find the base edition listed anywhere.

Depends on where you need one. GAME still has pre-orders up, but that's a UK store.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting this from the Wii U thread, since this issue features Mario Maker:

Just want to again sing the praises of Nintendo Force magazine. Issue #16 includes a celebration of Super Mario Maker in particular, and user created content in Nintendo games in general. While turning to a print magazine for things like game previews and reviews is a bit outdated...the NF crew has an informal, lighthearted style that's always fun to read over, and the special Feature section each issue is well worth the cost of admission.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Color Printer posted:

I'm sure Nintendo of Japan set a release date ages ago because they don't have a reason to care over there, and NOA tried deperately to get them to move it but they wouldn't budge. The other option would be to delay just for North America which would just upset people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised they didn't just release on the 13th and hit the anniversary exactly. Maybe an eShop release on Sunday with physical copies dated for Monday?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:sigh:

edit: Stuff unlocks over the course of DAYS? :psyduck: Just give us all the tools AT THE BEGINNING :psyduck:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

i truly think this is a benefit. like lessons almost. get good with the basics then start on the advanced.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

VideoGames posted:

i truly think this is a benefit. like lessons almost. get good with the basics then start on the advanced.

gently caress that. Give me all the tools from the start Nintendo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, plus if you're impatient it's just a matter of dicking around for five minutes, changing the system clock, repeat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VideoGames posted:

Yeah; this is how they did it with Splatoon and it worked out great. And hey, like a couple people have already said, just futz with your system clock to unlock everything if you're impatient.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Motto posted:

Yeah, plus if you're impatient it's just a matter of dicking around for five minutes, changing the system clock, repeat.

Ah, the ol' Animal Crossing method. Didn't even think of that

edit: I am impatient. it's a level editor :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They should have an "unlock everything now" button, but I can get where they're coming from. There's a ton of options here, especially with how you can break conventional Mario rules by doing things like like putting coins in bullet bill launchers, sizing up enemies and bosses, etc.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like the idea. Force me to mess with the basics enough to not suck as bad with levels, and then I get more cool stuff to build from. And it looks like you'll have everything in less than two weeks time anyway.

9/11 can't come soon enough (I know).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

9 days is like 5 years to gamers. They didn't think about the gamers and that is terrible.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
super mario maker :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

super mario maker :D

this is what we will become. all of us.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I cancelled my pre-order, no joke. I play games on my own time and don't want to wait for the full experience to be unlocked. People may see it as an overreaction but I have such little time to play games now with work and school I don't need anymore restrictions.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I have to wait over a week to make my Kaizo Mario 64 level what bullshit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

I cancelled my pre-order, no joke. I play games on my own time and don't want to wait for the full experience to be unlocked. People may see it as an overreaction but I have such little time to play games now with work and school I don't need anymore restrictions.

So just change system time settings to unlock everything in less than an hour?

EDIT: And how far does this neurosis extend? Almost every video game ever is built upon a linear progression of content. Be it "beat Level 1 to access Level 2" or something more involved, I can't think of a whole lot of games that give you "the entire experience" from the moment you boot up.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 12, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Motto posted:

Source your neogaf quotes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Motto posted:

You'd think with such time constraints and all, the guy could just boot up the game once and then play it in nine days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Source your neogaf quotes.

he is right though, if one already is restricted due to time then why restrict someone even further? Sure, I guess over time the full game will be available but consider this: when will that person be able to experience the appropriate, full game if he is already constrained to RL circumstance? To announce that obstacle options (best way to describe it?) this late in its release is a sucker punch to the gut. This sort of thing should have been annoucned much sooner

• Locked thread