Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Motto posted:

I cancelled my pre-order, no joke. I play games on my own time and don't want to wait for the full experience to be unlocked. People may see it as an overreaction but I have such little time to play games now with work and school I don't need anymore restrictions.

hahah whoever this guy is, is a real silly billy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

AfroLine posted:

he is right though, if one already is restricted due to time then why restrict someone even further? Sure, I guess over time the full game will be available but consider this: when will that person be able to experience the appropriate, full game if he is already constrained to RL circumstance? To announce that obstacle options (best way to describe it?) this late in its release is a sucker punch to the gut. This sort of thing should have been annoucned much sooner

I don't actually care about that person's problems.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
-Mario pal, I'm sorry but my schedule is overbooked, I'm going to take a rain check, let's say Thursday 5 PM, what do you say?

-Mamma Mia

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

what if i were to come up to you and you wanted to play this one game cost 60 dollars and everything yeah but the catch was you couldn't play it to its fullest till a week and a half lafter but still give me all your money.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

AfroLine posted:

what if i were to come up to you and you wanted to play this one game cost 60 dollars and everything yeah but the catch was you couldn't play it to its fullest till a week and a half lafter but still give me all your money.

lmao

this is every game ever. you don't get to see the end right away. you play and spend time on it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As someone who only has four minutes a day to play video games, this news greatly upsets me.

AfroLine posted:

I'd buy it anyway because as long as it's playable to start with who cares if it takes a couple weeks to get everything, like pretty much every other game out there.

Hell, look at loving Splatoon.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i am sorry but i do not wish for mario maker to wait 9 days to transform into super mario maker.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Wow everyone is being really uncute over nothing right now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ok here is some cute:

please dont steal, these are mine.

(c) 1992

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AfroLine posted:

i am sorry but i do not wish for mario maker to wait 9 days to transform into super mario maker.

does the caterpillar not become the beautiful butterfly after 9 days.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

does the caterpillar not become the beautiful butterfly after 9 days.

play my level and find out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've actually wanted a mole outfit for awhile, figured it would work similar to animal kirby in squeak squad that let him go underground or dig through terrain or something.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lol. SMM is gonna own

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Why isn't this thread's tag "we forgot".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Why isn't this thread's tag "we forgot".

The TC forgot.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.

Do we know what the gray ? block on day 6 is?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Downercut posted:

My first guess is one of the gimmick ? blocks, like the ghost house ones that float around, or move after the first hit.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
It's invisible blocks.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Downercut posted:

Invisible coin block, probably.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, looks like the eShop preload is live too. Not sure if you can access it from the Wii U yet, but they're at least selling it via the official site.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Here's the way I see it. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that for the most part, at least at this point, I just want to play levels, not make them. Having all of the level editor features locked behind actually using the editor encourages me, and players like me, to use it, and try out making basic levels with the simplest of elements. Having all the features unlocked at the start doesn't do us any good because it's one less reason to actually try the editor, and it also makes it kind of daunting to make a level because there are so many options available to the novice levelmaker. Encouraging players who otherwise wouldn't use and experiment with the level editor to play it daily and give them a progression of new tools might get them to actually put effort into making levels, when otherwise they would only want to play them. Plus, with new tools added every day, it pushes you to try those new tools incrementally, instead of having some lovely hodgepodge first levels where you try to have everything in it. Ultimately, I think they want everyone to both enjoy playing levels, and MAKING levels, and having it work this way is a good way of getting everyone to earnestly use the level editor, instead of just the few who want to make levels.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I want to make levels so bad.

I want to make a patronizing level with a tiny jump that shoots off fireworks and a bunch of cannons shooting coins at you for making it.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

ok here is some cute:

please dont steal, these are mine.

(c) 1992

holy poo poo, nintendo owes this kid royalties for super mario galaxy 2

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It would be nicer if messing around with the early stuff unlocked more things at your learning pace instead of being restricted to a 24 hour period.

That said, I'm not too fussed with it. It will encourage me to be more creative with restrictions placed on me and you don't get a diamond without pressure. As someone who gives up on games like Fallout and Skyrim because there's just too much to do all at once, I think this is a fair way to ease people into eventual limitless possibilities.

I'd also like to point out that this is a Luigi Lakitu and those cannons are firing mini Luigis:

Is this just an effect of the Mega Mushroom?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm already sketching out level designs. This game needs to come out now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

holy poo poo, nintendo owes this kid royalties for super mario galaxy 2

those are genuinely my ideas from way back when i saw lakitu in SMB1. i thought it would be cool to become a cloud.

plus I had suburban world for car mario:

you can see it planned down the bottom.

this would have been badass mine carting all the way.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm already sketching out level designs. This game needs to come out now.

This is the only reason I'm upset that they're time gating content.

My World 1 requires features unlocked on day 7.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine the time lock on stuff like Mario 3 or Mario World items. You'll be waiting until Day 14...

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
VideoGames those are really cool and make me think of when I used to draw up game concepts as a kid.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Mario Maker is up for pre-load on the eShop right now, and there's allegedly a toll-free phone number on the digital receipt that you can call to claim a free copy of the physical book that comes with the retail version.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

those are genuinely my ideas from way back when i saw lakitu in SMB1. i thought it would be cool to become a cloud.

I'm glad of this

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Have they announced if there's going to be an Anniversary Mario Amiibo/SMM pack in the US like they have in PAL territories? If they don't I might as well buy digitally and hope I can find the Amiibo (I'll never find the Amiibo)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you don't buy Mario maker then lol. Just lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, Mario Maker is up for pre-load on the eShop right now, and there's allegedly a toll-free phone number on the digital receipt that you can call to claim a free copy of the physical book that comes with the retail version.

This is indeed the case. Awesome for me since I get all my games digitally now.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Haha oh man, wish I could play a mario game set in Silly Land. My fave land.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

VideoGames posted:

I legit can't wait to see what you come up with in SMM. Do you have any room on your friends list?

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

VideoGames posted:

I appreciate the Kickle Cubicle enemies chilling in there with the Mario 2 enemy crew.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Macaluso posted:

:sigh:

edit: Stuff unlocks over the course of DAYS? :psyduck: Just give us all the tools AT THE BEGINNING :psyduck:

I'm 100% sure that if they didn't throttle the content, very large swaths of people would either feel overwhelmed or simply skip most of the tools while they fool around with whatever they have the fondest memories of.

Sure you can go on about "muh player's choice" all day but if there's anything Nintendo is good at is teaching you mechanics and this is basically them forcing everyone to learn the absolutely necessary tools to stop the level sharing service from being swamped with completely garbage levels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think waiting 9 days is really loving stupid, and a better solution was to just put a hour or two lock on things. It's still throttling it but I don't have to wait 4 whole days before I get any of the fun power ups or more enemies other then goombas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Det_no posted:

I'm 100% sure that if they didn't throttle the content, very large swaths of people would either feel overwhelmed or simply skip most of the tools while they fool around with whatever they have the fondest memories of.

a 100% garbage excuse. where are people getting overwhelmed again?

• Locked thread