Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Well, let's give this a go.

Rules
Primer

What?

Keyflower is the meanest game about preparing for the winter that you've ever played. A staggeringly good combination of worker placement, bidding wars, and downright nasty area control, it takes players through four seasons as they bid for and use village facilities in order to generate and move around resources in order to score victory points. The real crux of the game is that you aren't restricted to only using tiles that you control - you can work other people's tiles instead, or even those still in the bidding offer. Any workers on your tiles at the end of the season go back to your pot, so having a lot of people using your facilities will give you more population for the next phase of the game - but the cost of working a tile goes up as more people use it, so you have to pick your moments in order to try to block your opponents and not get screwed out of whatever it is you wanted to do. As if this weren't enough to balance as it is, players will also need to bid for new workers and their position in the turn order, and manage the colours of workers they have in order to get the most use out of them.

So what's the plan?
  • This may require a little more work than my other games. I have a collection of tile images that I'll be using to build the images involved - one for the offer that season, and one per player for their village. I would like to put them all on one big image, but I think that'll be a little unfeasible. Please expect updates to be a bit delayed until I get the process down.
  • COs are encouraged. Please feel free to put several moves in order of preference.
  • How to put this... I'd like to try to capture the feel of playing at the actual table. Because of that, I'd like to ask really nicely if players could avoid specific meeple-counting beyond that which they can remember. I'm happy for you to go 'well that guy picked up a lot of blues I've got to be careful', but I'd prefer it if people didn't keep a text file with itemized lists or anything like that. I want to keep it at least a little spontaneous.
  • Actions in bold in the thread.
  • As ever, shittalking, audience posting, and questions are all a-okay.
Recruiting
  • This will be a 4 or 6 player game, depending on demand.
  • As this is the first time I'm running this, I would like to ask only for players who know the game already. I will try to provide context and some detail on what's happening for any new players watching.
  • PMs are required. Sorry! I need to keep your inventory secret, after all. As in most of my games, your inventory will be a dropbox link that autoupdates as the game goes on.
  • Recruitment will be open for 24 hours, after which time selection will be by random draw. Huge thanks to Bubble-T for hooking me up with tile images - if he wants a slot, he is getting grandfathered in for the work involved.
  • I would like players who can check in at least once per day. There's a lot of bidding back-and-forth and right now I'm not sure how long the game will take.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Sure, I'll sign up for Racism Simulator 2012!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'll play. I've played it a bunch, but I'm no good at it.

Stelas posted:

[*]How to put this... I'd like to try to capture the feel of playing at the actual table. Because of that, I'd like to ask really nicely if players could avoid specific meeple-counting beyond that which they can remember. I'm happy for you to go 'well that guy picked up a lot of blues I've got to be careful', but I'd prefer it if people didn't keep a text file with itemized lists or anything like that. I want to keep it at least a little spontaneous.
You could use the gamer variant or whatever it's called. That would fix this super easy, since only the meeples you haven't ever shown stay hidden.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Let's start the shittalking:

Dammit, Stelas, the exact day I go on holiday? Really? :argh:

I'm not familiar with the game, so it's probably better I don't play anyway.

Good luck, guys.

bobvonunheil posted:

Wasn't that one Archipelago?

VVVV
Boardgames are great.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 15, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Samurai posted:

Wasn't that one Archipelago?

Huh, I guess there is room in the market for more than one colonial racism game per year!

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

This game looks awesome. I'd love to get in on this!

EDIT: Oh, but I've never played before, just watched an explanation video. :(

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I just played this for the first time this weekend and ended up playing it three times in a row, we enjoyed it so much.

I'll sign up!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

I dunno, in this game the minority holds all the power.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Stelas posted:

I dunno, in this game the minority holds all the power.

Fine.

Class War Simulator 2012 then.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Green workers are separate but equal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

You could use the gamer variant or whatever it's called. That would fix this super easy, since only the meeples you haven't ever shown stay hidden.

Mmmmaybe. I'm thinking about it. It's a toss-up.

ActingPower posted:

EDIT: Oh, but I've never played before, just watched an explanation video. :(

Sorry! I'd love to include new players but the manual is very dense, and first crack at a game I'd rather make sure I'm not juggling administration with teaching. I'll definitely have posts up explaining what's going on.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'll give it a whirl. I'll probably lose, but I know the game well :)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Jesus, Stelas, you are a drat machine. Not two days since the Mage Knight game ended, and you're already launching another board game thread.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'll play if there's another spot.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Come to think of it, that was kind of a shameful title image. Learn the game before making an image, whichever site I stole that from.

ETB posted:

I'll play if there's another spot.

It'll be random pick. I know there's a few people who've shown interest in it so I wanted to give them a fair chance to sign up.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

Stelas posted:

Come to think of it, that was kind of a shameful title image. Learn the game before making an image, whichever site I stole that from.

Eh, they could have boat 2a behind boat 4b and I don't see anything else wrong. I'm gonna sticky this thread to follow along, I really like keyflower!

alathar fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 15, 2015

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
The one red guy on Apprentice Hall still doesn't make any sense. Immersion ruined.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

alathar posted:

Eh, they could have boat 2a behind boat 4b and I don't see anything else wrong. I'm gonna sticky this thread to follow along, I really like keyflower!

Conditions of participation: Identify everything wrong with the setup image.

The single meeple shouldn't be lying down either; boat 4b only applies to already-occupied tiles.

e: ^^^ :argh:

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o
I actually had an edit pointing it out, but I reread:

quote:

They may alternateively use any coloured workers, including more than one different colour at the same time.

So Blue -> Blue + Red.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'll give you that one, BUT the winter tiles have been added to the village which only happens after keyples are removed from the village. Check and mate :smuggo:

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o
I suppose in the strictest sense. I'm pretty sure I've left meeples on while adding winter since you don't need them anymore, only shuffling them around as needed (winter tile counting or what have you). The image is certainly more interesting with meeples there :).

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it doesn't really matter at that point. I just needed to talk smack after not knowing the real effect of boat 4b. Strangely enough, I've never actually seen that boat in any of the games I've played.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o
Yeah, it definitely doesn't help that 4b differs from 4a (other color bidding DOES have to all be in one color). The summer boats are great in how game changing they can be, but lapses in memory/attention to them have messed with our games in the past even though we've played it many times. Just talking about the game makes me want to play it more! I actually created a (unpublished) Tabletop Simulator mod for the base game just so I could play it with my friend more.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Ugh, I would play this, but my schedule would be a killer on updates.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
e:wrong thread

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I'll sit this one out unless you have an odd number Stelas, looking forward to heckling whoever signs up though :)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Definitely want in on this.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
If I do get picked, expect a lot of...

gently caress you for taking that tile. I will ruin you.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone think of themselves as good at this game. It's that punishing.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Stelas posted:

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone think of themselves as good at this game. It's that punishing.

I like to think that I'm good, but I don't have a lot of competition in my group.

I'm not fond of PbP games, but I'll definitely be following and judging everyone.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Stelas posted:

You have so little control over what's actually going to be good. It's not even hidden scoring conditions like Archipelago, it's hidden scoring that some rear end in a top hat just stole making everything you did up till now worthless holy poo poo gently caress that guy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Our lucky players are, in starting order:

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Sorry to those who didn't get in! There were 6 entrants but I really wanted to do 4 for the first try.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Stelas posted:

Our lucky players are, in starting order:

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Sorry to those who didn't get in! There were 6 entrants but I really wanted to do 4 for the first try.

Woop!

My Pax Porfiriana game is on hiatus (Fat Samurai :argh: ) so this is a good chance to engage in some vindictiveness in the meantime

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Cool, thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SPRING

Everyone draws 8 workers. Player's village inventories have been sent via PM - these files will autoupdate throughout the game.
Every player draws 3 winter tiles. Again, these will be on the inventories. Players will eventually have to add 1-3 of these to make up the winter draw.
Every player gets a Home tile. These are linked via your names below.
The spring tiles are drawn. These are on the main image below.

Please take it in turn to bid or use tiles, starting with bobvonunheil. Mark them in bold so I see them! Please feel free to use COs prior to your turn, or else if someone's posted their turn and you're next and not interfering with them at all, please feel free to add your turn so that I can update both at once. The player's names in the corner indicate which side of the tile their bet will be placed on.

Hopefully all these tiles are readable. They were vetted by means of throwing a bunch of sizes at people.

64 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Okeydokes!

I will place use 1 Red on Quarryman

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 16, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Use Miner with 1 Red

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Bid 1 Blue on Key Mine.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Okeydokes!

I will place 1 Red on Quarryman

It this a bid or a use? It might be best to stick to that terminology for the sake of clarity but for the moment I'll assume it's a use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Stelas posted:

It this a bid or a use? It might be best to stick to that terminology for the sake of clarity but for the moment I'll assume it's a use.

It's a Use. I would have said Bid if it was a bid I guess. But Use and Bid are good words that are non-interchangeable.

• Locked thread