Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

It's a Use. I would have said Bid if it was a bid I guess. But Use and Bid are good words that are non-interchangeable.

No worries. Just ironing out the unexpected kinks in running a new game.

64 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

1 Red Bid: Apprentice Hall

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Okay, I think I've got my workflow down.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
2 Yellow bid: Alehouse

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It is Aston's turn.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I'm not sure how much the peanut gallery should speculate about strategy here. Stelas? I'll spoiler my tame and probably wrong comments for now..

Pretty even opening tile deal, only missing a transport tile really.

I was wondering if we'd see an opening 2 meeple bid. Our group hasn't really worked out if that's worth doing but I think it can make sense if you value a tile at ~2.5 keyples or have only 2 of a single colour you want to use. Alehouse seems an obvious priority tile in this deal anyway.

Using the quarryman/miner tiles so early suggests a lot of red keyples lying around to me, I like locking the bid colour in that way at least.

Normally the round 1 boats aren't incredibly important to contest but gaining the lone stone pick skill and potentially 6+ yellow keyples round 2 might be valuable to someone - especially the alehouse owner

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't really mind, but I'm going to stay quiet because, unlike Mage Knight, I've got a lot more information on what people have in their hands and it's a lot more critical to the game.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bid on Goldmine with 1 Red

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The other reason I'll keep quiet is that I'm incredibly poo poo at this game.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Stelas posted:

The other reason I'll keep quiet is that I'm incredibly poo poo at this game.

:munch: Watching, and will not comment on strategy, for the exact same goddamn reason. I found key harvest to be much more to my mindset. :munch:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Bid 1 Yellow on Keywood.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Watching with interest. Never played, but I've wanted to break it out at my local tabletop cafe several times, just get caught up in playing vlaada games.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I'm worried about everyone saying they're terrible at this game because I don't think this game is that difficult but this could definitely be some Dunning-Kruger situation :ohdear:

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o
I will preface this by saying I've mostly played the game 2 player (a couple games early on with larger numbers), but I think a big part of the difficulty of the game lies in the fact that your best laid plans will go awry as quickly as one time around the players.

One commonly seen spot is with meeple generation tiles - when do you upgrade such a tile? If you upgrade it without any uses on the tile, somebody else is more or less guaranteed to use it. But if you use the tile before upgrading, it's suboptimal. In fact, if you upgrade the tile and aren't first player in the next season, there's a good chance it will be used before your turn comes around.

The game allows your opponents to push you as much as possible, so with equal level opponents anything that feels like a huge victory will quickly get cut down.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

bobvonunheil posted:

I'm worried about everyone saying they're terrible at this game because I don't think this game is that difficult but this could definitely be some Dunning-Kruger situation :ohdear:

Same here. All I can say is that I would have done some moves differently already...:ohdear:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I played a live game tonight and thought I did pretty well with 68 points. Turns out the winner had 116!!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Aston posted:

I played a live game tonight and thought I did pretty well with 68 points. Turns out the winner had 116!!

holy poo poo

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think the biggest problem I have with Keyflower scoring in an objective sense is that the winter boat tiles seem to me to be incredibly asymmetrical and can make a very significant difference to the score. The rest of my poor performance is usually thanks to my being exceptionally bad at knowing when to tip between resource-building and VP-gaining. (see also my performance at Dominion)

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Aston posted:

Haha what, was that with both expansions or something?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Upgrading and building grabbing in fall and winter will ultimately be the biggest point gains, from my experience.

On a sidenote, I'm surprised at the lack of swearing so far. Maybe we just need another turn or two.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

taser rates posted:

Haha what, was that with both expansions or something?

Nope, she got the x10 per set of skill tiles and had 7 sets.

We're still figuring out that we need to block each other I think.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ETB posted:

On a sidenote, I'm surprised at the lack of swearing so far. Maybe we just need another turn or two.

Spring is always pretty low-key, you don't get the raw and perfect joy of slapping some keyples down on someone else's village tile.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aston posted:

Yeah, that'll definitely do it. I had a game on the weekend where I barely got blocked at all, and I managed to get 117. 11 wood on the upgraded Timber Yard, most of which were obtained in winter, played a big part of that.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Aston posted:

Yeah I've had scores like that when I have the goods town tiles and the goods winter tiles

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Stelas posted:

Spring is always pretty low-key, you don't get the raw and perfect joy of slapping some keyples down on someone else's village tile.

I don't know, Spring can be brutal. Last game I ended up with no tiles going into Summer. :smith:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ETB posted:

I don't know, Spring can be brutal. Last game I ended up with no tiles going into Summer. :smith:

Oof. I guess you could just concentrate on building resources and you aren't necessarily crippled because you can use other people's tiles, but that does seem like a good way to get into a spiral of not having enough workers.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Let's see how many different synonyms for 'keyple' I can accidentally use during the course of this thread. I'm already up to three.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

It seems pretty hard to not get a single tile in spring!

Stelas posted:

They're not fighting over the free keyple on Quarryman/Miner yet, that might be interesting.

Aston posted:

Keyflower basically doesn't work without aggressive play, especially with less than 6 players. It's just a competition to see who can randomly assemble and abuse the best combination of production and winter tiles if everyone's passive.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bid 2 blue on key mine.

Phone post excuse no bold please.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

See, now we can start to get properly mad at each other.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stelas posted:

See, now we can start to get properly mad at each other.

It begins :black101:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

That's.. an interesting bid. I can't figure out why Crackbone would do that other than literally to be a jerk.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Bid 2 Red, Miner

Bubble-T posted:

That's.. an interesting bid. I can't figure out why Crackbone would do that other than literally to be a jerk.

Well I'm happy, I've got a place to put my Alehouse meeples if I get overbid :getin:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bid on Alehouse with 3 Yellow

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

IT BEGINS :black101:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

How rude.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I just started grasping the rule that you kidnap workers who enter your village.

I'm understanding why alehouse is good now.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

You don't kidnap them, you convince them to stay of their own free will.

(Please ignore the screams, they're unrelated)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You take other towns' alcoholics and give them a steady job, not sure what the problem is.

Istvun posted:

I just started grasping the rule that you kidnap workers who enter your village.

I'm understanding why alehouse is good now.

Yep. Workers score relatively poorly by themselves, though - many of the worker generating tiles score no points at all and the winter tiles that count workers are the hardest to score significant points with in my experience.

• Locked thread