Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

Yep. Workers score relatively poorly by themselves, though - many of the worker generating tiles score no points at all and the winter tiles that count workers are the hardest to score significant points with in my experience.

If you're playing with 6 players, one of the boats is '1 VP per worker you have at the end' and it's bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
gently caress you Crackbone.

Add 2 Blue to my Key mine Bid.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just bought Keyflower based partially on the volume of swearing early doors in this game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't know how many people new to the game are watching this but I can try for a summary of the game if people are curious.

64 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It'd be nice to have a summary after each season?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bid one yellow on Keystone Quarry

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ETB posted:

gently caress you Crackbone.

Add 2 Blue to my Key mine Bid.

Just trying to stimulate the economy, resources are obviously being undervalued. Market has to correct itself you know?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crackbone posted:

Just trying to stimulate the economy, resources are obviously being undervalued. Market has to correct itself you know?

Ffffuck I'm having Container flashbacks now.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Crackbone posted:

In my village, economics will be banned. Banned, I say!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

ETB posted:

In my village, economics will be banned. Banned, I say!

Seems like it would pretty easy to enforce when you enter summer with just your home tile.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Durendal posted:

Seems like it would pretty easy to enforce when you enter summer with just your home tile.

ETB is looking likely to bring Key Mine home. One of those non-economic mines, I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bubble-T posted:

ETB is looking likely to bring Key Mine home. One of those non-economic mines, I guess.

Don't jinx me! :smith:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PRIMER

So... my updates don't exactly explain much, unlike Mage Knight. What the gently caress is going on?

Keyflower is played as four seasons. Each season there will be an auction not just for tiles to add to your village, but also for who gets to pick first choice of the incoming boats to add more workers to their village. At the same time, people can choose to work the tiles in the auction, or the tiles in their village, or the tiles in other people's villages. This is important, because every time you use a tile it will cost one additional worker, and all workers on and around a given tile have to be the same colour. Ultimately, a lot of the game involves attempting to block people's plans either by using the tiles they want to use or else playing a different colour on the tile first - ideally, one the player hasn't picked up many of.

Everyone works or bids a tile in order, unless they choose to pass. The season keeps going until everyone has passed in a row - but if someone is still doing things, other players can opt to reenter the game even after passing. All players start with 8 keyples of different colours, which they can use at whatever rate they like, and if they get outbid on something they can redirect their keyples to another bid instead, provided it would actually win them the bid. At the end of the season any of your workers that did not win a bid come back to your hidden stock, together with any workers on your village tiles, together with any workers from whichever boat you choose.

The goal in Keyflower is to gain VP, and these are gained in three primary ways:
  • Certain buildings will give you VP, and more if you upgrade them; these are indicated by the little circled number next to the tile's effect. Upgrading a building costs whatever is depicted in the arrow leading down from one effect to the other, and upgrading the building will provide that new effect rather than the one at the top. There's a catch: upgrading a building requires any resources to be on that specific tile, which means having to move resources around your village by activating a tile with a horse and cart picture. Fortunately, everyone has one of these available in their home tile - activating it will allow them to move a resource a total of 1 space (the big 1) and then upgrade 1 structure (the single house symbol).
  • When we hit autumn, you'll start seeing storehouses appear in the auction. These will provide VP per unit of a specific resource on that tile at the end of the game. Obviously, this involves a fair amount of production and movement to capitalize on.
  • In the winter, all of the tiles will give VP for global features such as the number of keyples in your village at the end, or how many sets of a resource you have, or how many skills you've stockpiled. These tiles have already been dealt out to the players, who each have 3 - at the start of winter they may choose which of these tiles to add to the auction, so this can inform them of how to play throughout the game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Move 2 Yellow from Alehouse to bid on Keywood

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

bobvonunheil posted:

Move 2 Yellow from Alehouse to bid on Keywood

Yeah you'd better run!

Use the Alehouse with 1 Yelllow - he's earned it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Aston posted:

Yeah you'd better run!

Use the Alehouse with 1 Yelllow - he's earned it.

The Yellow people frighten easily, but they'll be back soon, and in greater numbers!

(well probably not, but I didn't want to let the alehouse go for 2 anyway unless it was to me)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Add 2 Yellow to Keywood Bid.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

So who else has named all of their workers and given them intricate backstories?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ETB posted:

Add 2 Yellow to Keywood Bid.

:argh:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Aston posted:

So who else has named all of their workers and given them intricate backstories?

I'd rather not get attached, since we're losing a lot of in this round. At least I am. :smith:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

You mean they're going on a big adventure together.

Right?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
My blue keyples are brothers: Lucas, Theodore, and William. They went on this trip to escape the poverty of their homeland and send money back to their sickly mother.

Little did they know their organs would be sold to establish control over the contested "Blood Mines", also known as the Key mine. At least their mother will receive a generous cut of the profits.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This is the best pbp :3:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

63 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

ETB posted:

I'd rather not get attached, since we're losing a lot of in this round. At least I am. :smith:

If the past few rounds are any indication, I'll probably be getting those two yellows back into my hand

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Quick rules question: Can I move outbid meeples onto a tile to produce, or are they forever designated as bidding meeples?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

bobvonunheil posted:

Quick rules question: Can I move outbid meeples onto a tile to produce, or are they forever designated as bidding meeples?

You can repurpose them to producing keyples, so long as they stay in the same group. You can also move your bid to a different tile and add to the bid if it makes you a winning bid.

edit: Remember that losing bids go back to their owners, so there's no pressure to "use or lose". Also remember used keyples on tiles go to the bid winner/tile owner.

ETB fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 19, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
21 keyples out of 33 used and not one bid on quarryman + a red, what the gently caress?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bubble-T posted:

21 keyples out of 33 used and not one bid on quarryman + a red, what the gently caress?

I know. I'm scared too :(

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bid two red on Quarryman

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Also I was going to do that before I saw the posts.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Good, good.

Move the two yellow from Keywood to bid on Keystone Quarry

Maybe now they'll finally know peace

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bid on Keystone Quarry with 4 Yellows

Aston fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 19, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Aston posted:

Bid on Keystone Quarry with 4 Yellows

:stare:

did you get any other colours, like, at all?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've just checked my dropbox and apparently I don't have that many meeples left after all.

Use Gold Mine with 1 Red

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Bid 1 Red on Boat Pick 1.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Is there an official "fluff" explanation behind why only one color of keyple can be on a tile at any given time? Are they supposed to be different nationalities? Different families? Are they gangs of immigrant street thugs rumbling for territory "Gangs of New York" style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Medium Style posted:

Is there an official "fluff" explanation behind why only one color of keyple can be on a tile at any given time? Are they supposed to be different nationalities? Different families? Are they gangs of immigrant street thugs rumbling for territory "Gangs of New York" style?

They're racist.

• Locked thread