Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Well, let's give this a go.

Rules
Primer

What?

Keyflower is the meanest game about preparing for the winter that you've ever played. A staggeringly good combination of worker placement, bidding wars, and downright nasty area control, it takes players through four seasons as they bid for and use village facilities in order to generate and move around resources in order to score victory points. The real crux of the game is that you aren't restricted to only using tiles that you control - you can work other people's tiles instead, or even those still in the bidding offer. Any workers on your tiles at the end of the season go back to your pot, so having a lot of people using your facilities will give you more population for the next phase of the game - but the cost of working a tile goes up as more people use it, so you have to pick your moments in order to try to block your opponents and not get screwed out of whatever it is you wanted to do. As if this weren't enough to balance as it is, players will also need to bid for new workers and their position in the turn order, and manage the colours of workers they have in order to get the most use out of them.

So what's the plan?
  • This may require a little more work than my other games. I have a collection of tile images that I'll be using to build the images involved - one for the offer that season, and one per player for their village. I would like to put them all on one big image, but I think that'll be a little unfeasible. Please expect updates to be a bit delayed until I get the process down.
  • COs are encouraged. Please feel free to put several moves in order of preference.
  • How to put this... I'd like to try to capture the feel of playing at the actual table. Because of that, I'd like to ask really nicely if players could avoid specific meeple-counting beyond that which they can remember. I'm happy for you to go 'well that guy picked up a lot of blues I've got to be careful', but I'd prefer it if people didn't keep a text file with itemized lists or anything like that. I want to keep it at least a little spontaneous.
  • Actions in bold in the thread.
  • As ever, shittalking, audience posting, and questions are all a-okay.
Recruiting
  • This will be a 4 or 6 player game, depending on demand.
  • As this is the first time I'm running this, I would like to ask only for players who know the game already. I will try to provide context and some detail on what's happening for any new players watching.
  • PMs are required. Sorry! I need to keep your inventory secret, after all. As in most of my games, your inventory will be a dropbox link that autoupdates as the game goes on.
  • Recruitment will be open for 24 hours, after which time selection will be by random draw. Huge thanks to Bubble-T for hooking me up with tile images - if he wants a slot, he is getting grandfathered in for the work involved.
  • I would like players who can check in at least once per day. There's a lot of bidding back-and-forth and right now I'm not sure how long the game will take.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Sure, I'll sign up for Racism Simulator 2012!

I dunno, in this game the minority holds all the power.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

You could use the gamer variant or whatever it's called. That would fix this super easy, since only the meeples you haven't ever shown stay hidden.

Mmmmaybe. I'm thinking about it. It's a toss-up.

ActingPower posted:

EDIT: Oh, but I've never played before, just watched an explanation video. :(

Sorry! I'd love to include new players but the manual is very dense, and first crack at a game I'd rather make sure I'm not juggling administration with teaching. I'll definitely have posts up explaining what's going on.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Come to think of it, that was kind of a shameful title image. Learn the game before making an image, whichever site I stole that from.

ETB posted:

I'll play if there's another spot.

It'll be random pick. I know there's a few people who've shown interest in it so I wanted to give them a fair chance to sign up.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Thinking about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone think of themselves as good at this game. It's that punishing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Our lucky players are, in starting order:

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Sorry to those who didn't get in! There were 6 entrants but I really wanted to do 4 for the first try.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SPRING

Everyone draws 8 workers. Player's village inventories have been sent via PM - these files will autoupdate throughout the game.
Every player draws 3 winter tiles. Again, these will be on the inventories. Players will eventually have to add 1-3 of these to make up the winter draw.
Every player gets a Home tile. These are linked via your names below.
The spring tiles are drawn. These are on the main image below.

Please take it in turn to bid or use tiles, starting with bobvonunheil. Mark them in bold so I see them! Please feel free to use COs prior to your turn, or else if someone's posted their turn and you're next and not interfering with them at all, please feel free to add your turn so that I can update both at once. The player's names in the corner indicate which side of the tile their bet will be placed on.

Hopefully all these tiles are readable. They were vetted by means of throwing a bunch of sizes at people.

64 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Okeydokes!

I will place 1 Red on Quarryman

It this a bid or a use? It might be best to stick to that terminology for the sake of clarity but for the moment I'll assume it's a use.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

It's a Use. I would have said Bid if it was a bid I guess. But Use and Bid are good words that are non-interchangeable.

No worries. Just ironing out the unexpected kinks in running a new game.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Okay, I think I've got my workflow down.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It is Aston's turn.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't really mind, but I'm going to stay quiet because, unlike Mage Knight, I've got a lot more information on what people have in their hands and it's a lot more critical to the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The other reason I'll keep quiet is that I'm incredibly poo poo at this game.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Aston posted:

I played a live game tonight and thought I did pretty well with 68 points. Turns out the winner had 116!!

holy poo poo

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think the biggest problem I have with Keyflower scoring in an objective sense is that the winter boat tiles seem to me to be incredibly asymmetrical and can make a very significant difference to the score. The rest of my poor performance is usually thanks to my being exceptionally bad at knowing when to tip between resource-building and VP-gaining. (see also my performance at Dominion)

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ETB posted:

On a sidenote, I'm surprised at the lack of swearing so far. Maybe we just need another turn or two.

Spring is always pretty low-key, you don't get the raw and perfect joy of slapping some keyples down on someone else's village tile.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ETB posted:

I don't know, Spring can be brutal. Last game I ended up with no tiles going into Summer. :smith:

Oof. I guess you could just concentrate on building resources and you aren't necessarily crippled because you can use other people's tiles, but that does seem like a good way to get into a spiral of not having enough workers.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Let's see how many different synonyms for 'keyple' I can accidentally use during the course of this thread. I'm already up to three.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

See, now we can start to get properly mad at each other.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

How rude.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

Yep. Workers score relatively poorly by themselves, though - many of the worker generating tiles score no points at all and the winter tiles that count workers are the hardest to score significant points with in my experience.

If you're playing with 6 players, one of the boats is '1 VP per worker you have at the end' and it's bonkers.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't know how many people new to the game are watching this but I can try for a summary of the game if people are curious.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PRIMER

So... my updates don't exactly explain much, unlike Mage Knight. What the gently caress is going on?

Keyflower is played as four seasons. Each season there will be an auction not just for tiles to add to your village, but also for who gets to pick first choice of the incoming boats to add more workers to their village. At the same time, people can choose to work the tiles in the auction, or the tiles in their village, or the tiles in other people's villages. This is important, because every time you use a tile it will cost one additional worker, and all workers on and around a given tile have to be the same colour. Ultimately, a lot of the game involves attempting to block people's plans either by using the tiles they want to use or else playing a different colour on the tile first - ideally, one the player hasn't picked up many of.

Everyone works or bids a tile in order, unless they choose to pass. The season keeps going until everyone has passed in a row - but if someone is still doing things, other players can opt to reenter the game even after passing. All players start with 8 keyples of different colours, which they can use at whatever rate they like, and if they get outbid on something they can redirect their keyples to another bid instead, provided it would actually win them the bid. At the end of the season any of your workers that did not win a bid come back to your hidden stock, together with any workers on your village tiles, together with any workers from whichever boat you choose.

The goal in Keyflower is to gain VP, and these are gained in three primary ways:
  • Certain buildings will give you VP, and more if you upgrade them; these are indicated by the little circled number next to the tile's effect. Upgrading a building costs whatever is depicted in the arrow leading down from one effect to the other, and upgrading the building will provide that new effect rather than the one at the top. There's a catch: upgrading a building requires any resources to be on that specific tile, which means having to move resources around your village by activating a tile with a horse and cart picture. Fortunately, everyone has one of these available in their home tile - activating it will allow them to move a resource a total of 1 space (the big 1) and then upgrade 1 structure (the single house symbol).
  • When we hit autumn, you'll start seeing storehouses appear in the auction. These will provide VP per unit of a specific resource on that tile at the end of the game. Obviously, this involves a fair amount of production and movement to capitalize on.
  • In the winter, all of the tiles will give VP for global features such as the number of keyples in your village at the end, or how many sets of a resource you have, or how many skills you've stockpiled. These tiles have already been dealt out to the players, who each have 3 - at the start of winter they may choose which of these tiles to add to the auction, so this can inform them of how to play throughout the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

63 keyples left. 42 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lordy!

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

Is Spring always this aggressive when people know how to play? I know it depends on the group dynamic, but I rarely see any bids of 3.

I tend to find them fairly common, at least if you're fixing to use all your dudes, but then my group were fond of opening up with 2 bids in an attempt to stake your claim.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ETB posted:

Stelas, will you be posting our villages alongside the bid board for the rest of the seasons? It would probably be easier to see the scope of our options that way, plus it's also fun to visualize the keyples being sold hired in our respective villages.

I would really like to - but I haven't found a way yet to make an image that big without imgur eating it whole or the size spiking, which is really the problem. I'm a little wary of dropping the jpg quality given the amount of detail on the tiles. I'll definitely experiment a little, though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'll only keep track of passes until someone does something, for obvious reasons.

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil
Aston
ETB
Crackbone

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

End of the round! Please could all players pick their boat, in order of ETB, Crackbone, bobvonunheil, Aston, and also describe where you'd like your tiles:

ETB gains Keywood.
Crackbone gains Keymine, Quarryman, and Apprentice Hall.
bobvonunheil gains Keystone Quarry and Miner.
Aston gains Alehouse and Gold Mine.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Also arrange my stuff thusly:

what did you do to that poor image

it's crying

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Season change will be up later today as I first experiment on how I can have the whole offer + map image work, double-check everyone's gains and keyples, and also stuff myself with Malaysian.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil stays the first player, which is handy. Everyone picks up losing bids, and the keyples on their tiles. And then they pick up their boats too. Please check over your inventories to sanity-check them!

This season's boats:
Boat 1b: The player gains an additional green worker at the end of summer, autumn, and winter.
Boat 4a: The player does not have to match existing colours when bidding on tiles unless the original bid was green, but their bid must all be the same colour.

bobvonunheil posted:

and also some tools (saw, anvil, red guy)

wow rude

62 keyples left. 36 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
Player order: bobvonunheil, Aston, ETB, Crackbone

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 21, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I thought about doing a summary, but Bubble-T's got me covered.

I may try to update slightly less - the image is rather large, peeking just over a Mb in size, and will get larger as we go through the game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I missed that about 4a. Editing it in.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Man, I've gone back to the glory days of a single gigantic GIMP image with 7 layers attached. That reminds me I should try to find or photo the EH expansion and run an Antarctica game sometime.

62 keyples left. 37 skill tiles left. 20 greens not in circulation.
Player order: bobvonunheil, Aston, ETB, Crackbone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Something has come up, probably not going to be able to keep up with this as much as I should. Any volunteer to take over for me?

No worries, thanks for the heads up. I'll fire a message towards the pair who didn't get in.

• Locked thread