Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Fox thinks Tacoma is north of seattle....wtf?

Only way I could see them gently caress up that is in reference to Olympia and not Seattle. How do you gently caress up that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Is this coverage on fox right now live?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Tetrix posted:

Is this coverage on fox right now live?

Yep, it says so very faintly under the Fox Logo in the upper right corner.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I saw an article today about how people just hated the FOX sports coverage of this, how the camera angles were off and the commentators sucked.

Guess which network posted it.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Does anyone feel the second day of coverage has improved over the first?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

AppleCider posted:

Does anyone feel the second day of coverage has improved over the first?

I think this is awesome.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SWEEP THAT poo poo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pros putting on muni greens, the chase to US champ

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Big Beef City posted:

Pros putting on muni greens, the chase to US champ
glad im not the only one thinking this. The course hasn't actually played as hard as I thought it would tee to green, but the greens look pretty loving terrible. Speith in particular has missed some really easy putts that he would never miss on better greens.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

straight up brolic posted:

glad im not the only one thinking this. The course hasn't actually played as hard as I thought it would tee to green, but the greens look pretty loving terrible. Speith in particular has missed some really easy putts that he would never miss on better greens.

"It's pretty much like putting on broccoli," said Henrik Stenson

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://vine.co/v/eiiZ2EZLduQ

lmao unreal

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That 15 year old who qualified, he shot 77 on Thursday... and backed it up with a 84 on Friday. That's +21 and the 2nd worst score. :frogout:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
It's strange that they've gone to a rugged, patchy, dry, dead-looking course two years in a row. I know Pinehurst was in better condition than it looked, but the waste areas were too easy to hit from, missing a (brown) fairway wasn't a big deal, and the greens were softer than they used to be.

This has been pretty similar. It's easy to get lucky with a good lie in the fescue off the fairways, and almost every green has a backstop that collects approach shots. Putting is only hard because the greens are bumpy and untrue. It's interesting to watch but it feels more like a gimmick than a U.S. Open, which is supposed to be about narrow fairways, ankle-deep rough and extremely fast but fair greens.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I would watch a YouTube series called "PGA pros on muni courses" in a second.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

runoverbobby posted:

It's strange that they've gone to a rugged, patchy, dry, dead-looking course two years in a row. I know Pinehurst was in better condition than it looked, but the waste areas were too easy to hit from, missing a (brown) fairway wasn't a big deal, and the greens were softer than they used to be.

This has been pretty similar. It's easy to get lucky with a good lie in the fescue off the fairways, and almost every green has a backstop that collects approach shots. Putting is only hard because the greens are bumpy and untrue. It's interesting to watch but it feels more like a gimmick than a U.S. Open, which is supposed to be about narrow fairways, ankle-deep rough and extremely fast but fair greens.

Doesn't help that up here we've had maybe less than 2 inches of rain in 2 to 3 months. That's nuts at the tail end of our rainy season. Probably supposed to be more lush but how dry its been may contribute to this course difficulty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

runoverbobby posted:

Brown is beautiful. We all need to get used to it because it's the future of golf.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

:drat: that 3rd shot by DJ on 8.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The close up of that DJ was very telling. Ball hopped twice before it went it.

Edit: Someone who didn't like the greens set a warehouse on fire.

daslog fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 21, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the course is absurd today. would be surprised to see anyone other than louis finish under par

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

lmao jordan into the mound

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

EnsGDT posted:

I would watch a YouTube series called "PGA pros on muni courses" in a second.

I remember some article where the had Pat Perez play some dog track muni and he still broke par but his drives were ending up in huge divots or horrible bunkers and then the greens were super bumpy and slow.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

A man that has collapsed on this course, admitted he was considering withdrawing and was clearly in agony at times today is the leader in the clubhouse.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I remember some article where the had Pat Perez play some dog track muni and he still broke par but his drives were ending up in huge divots or horrible bunkers and then the greens were super bumpy and slow.

I remember that article, if I recall correctly he "only" shot 3 or 4 under partially because of how lovely the course conditions were. It was a good read

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
It was Steve Marino in 2007, unless Pat Perez did the same thing since then.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/01/AR2007070101221.html

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Even western wa is in a draught warning, had we even the slightest bit more rain the course would look normal. Also 4 bros going into tomm, poo poo could get crazy. spieth needs to win this poo poo for UT, and my 20$.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Did anybody see Gary Player rant for like ten minutes straight yesterday about how this course was absurd and embarrassing and had no place in professional golf and was going to ruin the appeal to amateurs? It was pretty funny. He just went on and on and on.

Edit: it was on the golf channels pregame show.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also the 18th has been upped to a par 5 because of prevailing winds.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Oh my god, Fox is running a packaged piece where the tree at Chambers Bay has a hokey cartoon voice and is making groaner jokes.

It is awful.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Really fox, a talking loving tree?!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Phil's whiff on 18 :negative:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Someone's gonna ace 14 I think it is? The par4 where they put it 50 yards to the right of the pin and it rolls right at it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
It's 12 I think and it owns.

This course owns. gently caress all haters

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

God these guys must be frustrated at this course, which makes it more entertaining to watch but still. I could see myself having a good time on this course just for fun and trying crazy slope shots but not if it was any sort of competition.

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
Is 6PM EST the latest a final pairing has teed off in the last round of a major?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I'd guess so. It's pretty far north, at the western edge of its time zone. Remember that Philadelphia has the same latitude as San Francisco.

It's nice to see these players suffering from putts starting off at the wrong angle. Combating that is an essential muni skill!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Art Core...velay posted:

Is 6PM EST the latest a final pairing has teed off in the last round of a major?
Seems like it and I'm glad we have primetime golf. Hopefully FOX cares enough about viewers that they don't cut off the trophy presentation/speech for 60 Minutes or the 5:00 news. It's tough to pick who to cheer for in this final pairing; I want both Dustin Johnson and Jason Day to win.

Rory :vince:

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 21, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
That putt by Rory :O up to -2 now...

Let's go Jason!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Jesus Christ, it's a half a mile hike from the 3rd green to the 4th tee box?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Dustin Johnson has to win if he keeps playing perfect golf like this.

Also I think Fox's camera work is really great. Edit: I recant, I guess foreign networks get to pick and choose cameras now.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Seems like there are a lot more idiots yelling after shots than in the past.

• Locked thread