Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

No opinion about the game.

Trailer was a pretty drat cool trailer, I liked the cuts between breaking different dude's necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Still not the greatest, but a hell of a lot better.

The desaturation is the real mood killer here. They really should be emulating the original's vibrant color scheme instead of going for a "Call Of Dooky" everything brown look.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

InterFaced posted:

Can I request one barrel explosion chain gimmick map?

or at please include the level editor they gave you in like 1993.

cd doom2
doom2.exe -file BARRELCHAINSPIDERDEMONS.wad

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Young Freud posted:

The desaturation is the real mood killer here. They really should be emulating the original's vibrant color scheme instead of going for a "Call Of Dooky" everything brown look.

It's spelled dookie.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've never understood the hate for Doom 3 I thought it was a fun game

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

We wanted DOOM 3 but got Doom 3.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Rage had great gunplay, but the lack of death match killed it. Who wants a racing game crammed into an id shooter?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

everything ID has ever made should be handed over to the dudes who made the new Wolfenstein game

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

satanic splash-back posted:

We wanted DOOM 3 but got Doom 3.

the real doom 3 was doom 64

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I've been out of the loop for years. I need a doom pro to recommend some bitchin' wads.

Edit: Stronghold is one I remember playing a little while ago and its really fun. It turns doom into a killing floor style co-op stay-alive defense thing. It was pretty cool. I'm going to try it again.

http://stronghold.drdteam.org/

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 16, 2015

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

That shotgun was terrible.

a retard posted:

the real doom 3 was doom 64

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Beef Turret posted:

I can't believe people in the audience hooted and hollered at that poo poo

Agreed, whoooo a shotgun in Doom!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That is depressing.

This looks SO much better than the brown filter of poo poo.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InterFaced posted:

I've been out of the loop for years. I need a doom pro to recommend some bitchin' wads.

Edit: Stronghold is one I remember playing a little while ago and its really fun. It turns doom into a killing floor style co-op stay-alive defense thing. It was pretty cool. I'm going to try it again.

http://stronghold.drdteam.org/

Momento Mori I & II
Eviloution
Plutonia II & Revisited

If you're up for kicks of course there's the countless Aliens & Terminator mods too, most of which were amusing back in the day.

And while posted earlier in the thread, nobody at all should miss out on Brutal Doom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc&spfreload=10

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:golfclap:
wow you made it look like actual Doom, nice

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

:golfclap:
wow you made it look like actual Doom, nice

Someone needs to make iD's art designer look at this, and then rub their nose in it while screaming "Bad! poo poo brown filters haven't been cool since 2008."

To be honest I am reminded of what happened before Diablo 3, with how the game's bright colors and tone just spit on the atmosphere of the game. A lot of people defended it and Diablo III turned out to be a lovely Diablo game; sometimes visual gently caress-ups indicate a level of overall "not getting it" in the team. (Seriously Path of Exile looks like what a Diablo III should have, visually)

One look at these images and you can see where they miss that understanding of Doom, entirely; they're just going through the motions.

In the time it takes the demo marine to execute a pre-scripted kill animation (which I am positive will get gold fast) and then gun down another monster with 3-4 shots, you could have wiped out two entire hallways filled with a dozen in the old games.

Doom 3 wasn't an awful game but it was a lovely, lovely Doom game and iD needs to stop thinking Doom 3 should be a standard or looked to, at all, ever.

It was fun. I played it through. I played the expansion.

It was still a lovely Doom game. It wanted badly to be System Shock, not Doom, but here's the problem with that:

- Tons of voiceover logs like System Shock, except all of them boiled down to "Ohhhh my God something spooky is happening but I'll ignore it. Maybe I'll tell you my password." In System Shock there were characters and storylines that linked to the areas you were in, so you were excited to hear another log. Not a single coherent thread in Doom.

- They were unwilling to add RPG elements because DOOM SHOULD BE SIMPLE!! but then bulit a game that frankly should have had RPG elements because it's not a freaking Doom sequel at this point..

- And finally the oft complained about lighting; there's SO many insanely detailed animated 3D models in Doom 3 that people spent weeks on that half of you who played it probably never even saw because they shoved them in a loving shadow you can't see. Most games or even movies that turn out the lights are hiding problems; Doom 3 turned out the lights on the Mona Lisa of sci-fi rooms in more than a few spots. I don't get why the hell anyone thought that "can't see poo poo" was a Doom thing; sure Doom had some dark rooms or crazy "black rooms with flashing lights to see in" but they were like, 1-2 rooms out of entire levels and not even on every level, sooooo...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

or at please include the level editor they gave you in like 1993.

cd doom2
doom2.exe -file BARRELCHAINSPIDERDEMONS.wad

Is there a version of Dehacked anyone knows of that works with modern Doom engines?

I made a mod for Doom way back in the day (that sadly I never uploaded anywhere) that was one of the biggest blasts my friends & I had with the game, where effectively I replaced all the monsters in the game with different colored space marines, all armed with various Doom marine weapons. The Imp became a Doom marine with a plasma rifle, for example. Totally changed the whole game.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 17, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Someone needs to make iD's art designer look at this, and then rub their nose in it while screaming "Bad! poo poo brown filters haven't been cool since 2008."
people complained that quake 1 was ridiculously brown and it wasnt half as brown as that screenshot

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

people complained that quake 1 was ridiculously brown

And sadly it ushered an era where everything was poo poo-brown for years, it was the hot thing nobody at all liked.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Bethesda? Probably will be buggy as hell and boring.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

Is there a version of Dehacked anyone knows of that works with modern Doom engines?

I made a mod for Doom way back in the day (that sadly I never uploaded anywhere) that was one of the biggest blasts my friends & I had with the game, where effectively I replaced all the monsters in the game with different colored space marines, all armed with various Doom marine weapons. The Imp became a Doom marine with a plasma rifle, for example. Totally changed the whole game.

pretty much every modern doom source port has built in dehacked support. also zdoom/gzdoom/zandronum have scripting languages that can create weapons/monsters/decorations without the need for dehacked

Bob Moog sex tape
Aug 26, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Still not the greatest, but a hell of a lot better.

The Cacodemons look more cute then threatening, but at least they look sort of interesting, unlike most stuff so far that just seemed all sorts of bland.

Cacodemons were always cute.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The gameplay was (only) ok but this makes me very sad for doom.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Is grey hell really that much better or even different from brown hell?
Grey looks more realistic to me which, for an imaginary place, is maybe not the best thing.
But yeah, brown hell doesnt look very good either, maybe settle for, i dont know, whats a good color for hell, RED maybe?
Crimson comes to mind?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
maybe more than 1 color even

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

have devs not learnt that kill animations are cool the first time but when you have to killl a million monsters it gets really freakin boring

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is grey hell really that much better or even different from brown hell?
Grey looks more realistic to me which, for an imaginary place, is maybe not the best thing.
But yeah, brown hell doesnt look very good either, maybe settle for, i dont know, whats a good color for hell, RED maybe?
Crimson comes to mind?

the difference is the contrast, the stone is grey but the demons and sky are red. compared to the original where everything is poo poo brown. oh and it also actually looks like doom:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
That's the idea, it makes the enemies pop instead of sorta blending in with the background

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

have devs not learnt that kill animations are cool the first time but when you have to killl a million monsters it gets really freakin boring

Yep they repeated like motherfuckers in the demo.

The reason Blood Dragon's worked like mentioned earlier in the thread is they all chain and interact in different ways; a knife kill chain combo requires you to actually interact (and not in a QTE), or to throw a star at someone following a combo. And of course the Gunslinger.. or grabbing someone from above and knifing them in the water. These are animations but they are interactive, and based on gameplay factors beyond PRESS X or Y. These are fun.

But as a constant thing against single enemies? So boring. So, so boring, so fast.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yep they repeated like motherfuckers in the demo.

The reason Blood Dragon's worked like mentioned earlier in the thread is they all chain and interact in different ways; a knife kill chain combo requires you to actually interact (and not in a QTE), or to throw a star at someone following a combo. And of course the Gunslinger.. or grabbing someone from above and knifing them in the water. These are animations but they are interactive, and based on gameplay factors beyond PRESS X or Y. These are fun.

But as a constant thing against single enemies? So boring. So, so boring, so fast.

Not to mention Blood Dragon was a $15 parody of over-the-top action stuff.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

:eyepop:

That does look better. Maybe the game can get color-correction mods to make it look like this at least

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

HJE-Cobra posted:

:eyepop:

That does look better. Maybe the game can get color-correction mods to make it look like this at least

It really does feel like the designers need to be slapped for totally missing the point.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The yellow tint supposed to be sulphur?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Blood Dragon is awesome.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
was the gameplay video posted?

Whatever here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpejIwm9Sfw

[edit] it was posted. Oh well now you can watch it again~

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 17, 2015

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

the difference is the contrast, the stone is grey but the demons and sky are red. compared to the original where everything is poo poo brown. oh and it also actually looks like doom:

Dunno, both these pictures dont scream "HELL" in my face.
Brown one looks like Morrowind with a shotgun, the other one like the volcano level of a generic shooter.
I think Doom3 did a better hell-part than this.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I really don't care if hell is sepia toned or not. I just want more pentagrams and writhing corpses and poo poo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Chandeliers out of torsi, floors out of faces, heads screaming in anguish as you kick them around, that kind of stuff.
Not a mountain range in whatever color.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Yeah. I want hell to be something my mom would be really mad about if she found me playing it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want hell to be nothing but cocks

Ground made of cocks, canyons made of cock, sky made of cocks

• Locked thread