Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
Winner of literally some awards, The Last of Us is an acclaimed story/character-based Third-Person Shooter from Naughty Dog, fresh off the heels of the original Uncharted trilogy.

We take the role of Joel, an old Texan grizzly bear, right as the apocalypse hits. People have become infected with a mind and body-warping fungus, effectively turning into rage zombies and sending the country into military lockdown chaos. After 20 years of hell, Joel is tasked with delivering a young teenager, Ellie, to a group of revolutionaries across the country in the futile hope of finding a cure for the infection. They must face the mindless infected, the indiscriminate military, and the cutthroat outlaws that roam the landscape on their long journey towards character development.

---The LP---
This LP is headed by Travis (BigTUnit1). It's a standard playthrough - as much of the game will be shown as possible, and Travis will go back and collect anything he misses. Because the game is so dialogue intensive, there will be two versions of each video: one with all of our commentary, and one completely without (RAW). RAWs may be blocked in Germany due to content ID matching.
Parts 1-9 are of the original PS3 version. Parts 10-on are of the PS4 Remastered edition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our ill-fated first take

(Germany-friendly version)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ashmonsterr, Tumblr)

(By MassRafTer)

(By ASkylineDiver)

(By ChibiWisdom)

(By NarcoRat, Twitter)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Reserved just in case

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

After an extended hiatus, the LP is back and picking up right where we left off.

The previous 9 parts were of the original PS3 version, but from hereon-out Travis will be recording from the PS4 Remastered version. 60fps capture still pending.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
If you take a closer look at the picture of Joel and his daughter at around the 14 min mark, you can see that he's wearing the watch.
That's probably why he doesn't want it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you look at the watch in a picture it grows over your wrist.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

From high school to university, and it only took a season!

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I'm glad we got the HD Remastered version of the game just in time for one of the goriest sections of the game! :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Winter has arrived, and it's Ellie's turn in the spotlight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Being haunted by a ghost horse isn't really something you think about that often.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Downside of this part of the game: OHGODWHY :gonk:
Upside of this part of the game: Ellie comes with an unlimited shiv. :ese:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

You're special. Prime rib, if you will.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Caught up with this. You guys giggle through everything, it's magical. :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A brief respite, followed by the game's final wave of infected.

The main LP concludes next week.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ThornBrain posted:

A brief respite, followed by the game's final wave of infected.

The main LP concludes next week.

Buncha dicks.

Also giraffes would probably be pretty good eating.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Drakenel posted:

Buncha dicks.

Also giraffes would probably be pretty good eating.

Neck meat is the best meat after all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Buncha dicks.

That guy was just being aggressively lovely for no discernible reason.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh cool Last of Us. I have been meaning to watch an LP of this and one appears on the front page.

First video has a Pizza Joe joke... FINISH WINDWAKER ALREADY DAMMIT.

Edit: Oh hey I see you are in the process of finishing it. Finally.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

That guy was just being aggressively lovely for no discernible reason.
He's a shithead because plot and drama needs to happen. Kinda of a weak point in the otherwise decent writing so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drakenel posted:

He's a shithead because plot and drama needs to happen. Kinda of a weak point in the otherwise decent writing so far.

They avoided dumb zombie apocalypse drama up till now and now it's time to flood the city and drown everyone in it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes the main LP of The Last of Us. The short DLC story will follow, and then that will conclude this thread.

PS: A section near the end of the video has a song that got it blocked in Germany. Here's a version with that section muted - it's short enough that it doesn't ruin the video. This has happened with previous Raws, but they're not as in-demand as the commentated versions, so I'm not worrying about those.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
On the one hand, Ellie is a cool character, on the other, she has the means to end the Cordecyps infection once and for all, so we are lead to believe, and if I was in the same position Joel is in, I'd be more inclined to give Ellie to the Fireflies and let them try to cure it and stop the world from ending.

Joel may have been morally doing the decent, not right, thing but, he's also doomed the world in the process.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I feel like things would have ended differently if the fireflies had actually let Joel talk to Ellie before they started in on the surgery. If he actually heard her say that she was willing to die for the chance of a cure being found, I think Joel would have had a harder time going against her wishes. Once more a problem is not fixed because people refuse to talk things out first.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Let's not forget the alternate ending.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gatesealer posted:

I feel like things would have ended differently if the fireflies had actually let Joel talk to Ellie before they started in on the surgery. If he actually heard her say that she was willing to die for the chance of a cure being found, I think Joel would have had a harder time going against her wishes. Once more a problem is not fixed because people refuse to talk things out first.

Yep. It's kinda hard to be sympathetic with people when they first introduce themselves by attacking you and then holding you up at gunpoint and also we're gonna kill the girl and no you can't have a moment to talk this out with her and just trust us its totally what she would've wanted, we're the good guys now go sit in the holding cells while we take her brain out, also we're the good guys.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I know in Zombie Media, the big thing is always "Humans are the REAL monsters!!!" but a lot of poo poo could be avoided if people sat down and talked things over, rather than firing first and being super hostile.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I know in Zombie Media, the big thing is always "Humans are the REAL monsters!!!" but a lot of poo poo could be avoided if people sat down and talked things over, rather than firing first and being super hostile.

I feel that way about alien invasions a lot of the time. I mean, I know it basically has to take place in America since we spend so much money on our military and we're one of the few countries to snap to being hostile should anything new show up. :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I feel that way about alien invasions a lot of the time. I mean, I know it basically has to take place in America since we spend so much money on our military and we're one of the few countries to snap to being hostile should anything new show up. :v:

Eh Alien Invasions are a bit different because of this being a species of a different planet- So Morals could be different, needs, all that fun stuff. They think of us as insects and all that.

But I had the thought of "Wait they could get a culture from a brain without killing a person." but then I realized OH WAIT! A lot of modern medicine would have fallen back a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zain posted:

But I had the thought of "Wait they could get a culture from a brain without killing a person." but then I realized OH WAIT! A lot of modern medicine would have fallen back a bit.

Yeah, and it's not like the world is any more doomed than it was two hours ago. If any other scientists show up and actually approach her like, y'know, professionals and not Dr. Nefarious, then it can go a lot better then.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Also considering the bite wound... Could you not get something from that? A bite doesn't really stay that nasty and doesn't have spore or whatever inside of it. Just an idea cause of it's disfiguration, the fact that it looks fungal, and just the lack of "healing" it really did the whole way through.

Edit: I guess this is all semantics since we don't know poo poo about this thing outside of it affects the brain. So forgive my incredulousness.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
While we wait for the Left Behind DLC, I completely forgot to share a few great fanart pics we've gotten for The Last of Us:

ASkylineDiver's take on the watch:

ChibiWisdom's "JoJoel":

And NarcoRat's birthday cake for PizzaJoe, placed here since the Wind Waker thread is long finished:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JoJoel is perfect since you've basically turned Joel into every silly part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anyway.

Also, glad to know this isn't going to need a third thread to finish. :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Travis has recorded and edited down the DLC footage to three parts. As soon as he and Yoshi both get the time to record, that'll be what we do next. Thread's almost finished, people.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes Travis' LP of The Last of Us. Thanks to anyone who stuck with this thread through its long delays and outright disappearances. It may not have ever managed much momentum around the forums, but this is still one of my favourite LPs we've ever done.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thanks, guys! The watch will live on forever in my heart.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Travis posted:

Imagine, like, Happy Birthday is like, the birthchild of a human and a birthday cake.

My god, this may be it. This may be the dumbest thing any of you has ever said that I can't stop laughing at. Good lord.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I really enjoyed this LP. Ya'll have some of my favorite banter and running gags as far as group commentary LPs go, and mixed in some quality reflections on the story and world-building. And the man-child mythology you built around Joel is canon as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame the thread(s) didn't attract more commentary but it was a worthwhile effort on your part and I hope you guys keep to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
good LP, guys. Left Behind was a really great addition on to The Last of Us

• Locked thread