Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdotoh
Jun 15, 2015

Arcane
For those of you that have been on holiday and possibly encountered a delay to your flight, it is possible to actually claim compensation for this depending on the amount of time you are delayed and the distance of your flight.

The Rules:

1. The delay needs to be 3 hours or more (upon arrival)
2. The flight needs to depart an airport situated within the EU (doesn't matter which airline) or arrive at an airport within the EU via an EU based airline (if departing from a non-EU airport)
3. The delay needs to have occurred within the last 6 years for cases that could go to court

You can claim all the way back to 2005, but if you have to take it to court, a judge will only look at cases that go back 6 years from the current date.

You can claim for infants as long as you paid a fare, even if they sat on your lap. An infant has until 6 years after their 18th birthday to claim.

Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Delay_Compensation_Regulation

for those who do not have the time or patience to fight a case themselves, the highest accredited NWNF (no win no fee) firms are:

Flight Delays: http://www.flightdelays.co.uk/flight-compensation/flight-delay-compensation
Bott & Co: http://www.bottonline.co.uk/compensation/airline-flight-delay-claims

Flight delays also provides a link to money saving expert and has a template on their site if you wish to attempt to do it yourself (for free) without using a NWNF firm

The link to MSE: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

It does not count if there is extraordinary circumstances as explained on the wiki pages for the EU regulation and on MSE forums (Such as bad weather, natural disasters etc...)

Extraordinary circumstances defined: http://www.flightdelays.co.uk/resources/extraordinary-circumstances-explained

Hopefully some people will find this useful and maybe even have a few hundred £s / euros coming their way.

emdotoh fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Has anyone had success claiming things like this? And I imagine there are exceptions for lots of stuff so that the airlines don't lose $5bn in claims from the Eyjafyjaoakjokull volcano and such that happened back in 2010? The best I've done were a couple claims with Deutschebahn for being loving terrible at running trains on time; got a refund of my ticket for getting me to Munich 12 hours late on what should have been a 5 hour train ride in the middle of summer on a regular non-holiday weekday.

emdotoh
Jun 15, 2015

Arcane

Saladman posted:

Has anyone had success claiming things like this? And I imagine there are exceptions for lots of stuff so that the airlines don't lose $5bn in claims from the Eyjafyjaoakjokull volcano and such that happened back in 2010? The best I've done were a couple claims with Deutschebahn for being loving terrible at running trains on time; got a refund of my ticket for getting me to Munich 12 hours late on what should have been a 5 hour train ride in the middle of summer on a regular non-holiday weekday.

Looking at Flight Delays, and Bott they say they have helped thousands of passengers each month, with links to trustpilot reviews such as https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.flightdelays.co.uk

Seen alot of success on MSE forums too, they have a whole forum dedicated to helping people claim compensation from the airlines with threads for each individual major airline

You can not claim for EC's (Extraordinary Circumstances) defined as:

Adverse weather conditions (Snow, fog)
Union action and strikes of ground staff at airports
Natural disasters (volcano, tornado, earthquake)
Hidden manufacturing defects with the aircraft
Air Traffic Control decisions

Anything that is within the airlines control, such as staffing issues, technical issues with the plane, bird strikes (this is new, bird strikes use to be considered an EC) general delays etc... are greenlit for claim

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
How does this work for flights that originate outside of the EU and if you're not an EU citizen?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any thoughts on whether this is eligible: Missed connection in US, airline's fault. Was meant to connect via EU to non-EU. Was rebooked via a different city. Ultimately arrived in city I wanted to be in 6 hours behind schedule and at a different airport to what my original booking was.

Now I know I accepted the new itinerary when they rebooked me, but is there any chance for compensation here? It's an airline that I dislike so getting money is better.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Just to make sure I'm not having some unrealistic expectation here.

I'm an American that flew into Europe on a EU airline flight that was delayed for an hour and a half at the terminal for unspecified reasons and missed the connecting flight after going through German customs (a slow and in ordnung process). The wait for the replacement flight was just under nine hours.

This was in 2013.

Am I eligible for compensation?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

My flight from Moscow to Copenhagen was delayed for a couple of hours, and I got a voucher. I thought "oh, a free meal, nice". I looked at it closely, and it was just for a small bottle of soda water. And they had no Coca-Cola, just Pepsi. Woot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pilsner posted:

My flight from Moscow to Copenhagen was delayed for a couple of hours, and I got a voucher. I thought "oh, a free meal, nice". I looked at it closely, and it was just for a small bottle of soda water. And they had no Coca-Cola, just Pepsi. Woot.

I got delayed an hour on a Canada->US flight, due to mechanical issues, and it turned out my sole compensation, a voucher for the kingly sum of $8, could not be spent on booze. Further, it reduced my connection time in Houston, so I had absolutely no time to spend it on food there either.

emdotoh
Jun 15, 2015

Arcane

Insane Totoro posted:

Just to make sure I'm not having some unrealistic expectation here.

I'm an American that flew into Europe on a EU airline flight that was delayed for an hour and a half at the terminal for unspecified reasons and missed the connecting flight after going through German customs (a slow and in ordnung process). The wait for the replacement flight was just under nine hours.

This was in 2013.

Am I eligible for compensation?

As long as the both parts of the flight were covered by an EU operated airline, then yes you are eligible to claim for missed connections that caused delays on the FINAL arrival destination of more than 3 hours. If you waited 9 hours for a replacement then you have a good basis for a claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Okay good! Though I haven't received a receipt showing that Air Berlin got my letter in the mail.

Any tips on electronically sending that info?

• Locked thread