Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I thought the Timonen thing was irritating and contrived since I had basically forgotten he even existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Wrigleyville was great last night. Hoping for another pro speech from Crawford at the parade.

Edit: regarding Kimmo, they act that way for every lovely old player who finally gets a cup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Wrigleyville was great last night. Hoping for another pro speech from Crawford at the parade.

Edit: regarding Kimmo, they act that way for every lovely old player who finally gets a cup.

Usually they contribute something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Usually they contribute something.

Jamal Mayers was literally a healthy scratch through all the playoffs last time IIRC and they did it for him.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i dont like people being happy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VJeff posted:

I have extreme doubts that Detroit coulda made the finals. Mrazek was legit and they played good defense with what they had, but they just couldn't score enough. Kinda like Tampa in the finals, honestly. :v:

The Wings played well against Tampa and horribly against Montreal this year. If we beat Tampa, Montreal would have beaten us in 5 or 6.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

The Wings played well against Tampa and horribly against Montreal this year. If we beat Tampa, Montreal would have beaten us in 5 or 6.

I'm okay with this what if scenario.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

whatis posted:

i dont like people being happy

you should meet: me

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
yeah i already like you

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
at least until tampa makes another few finals, then ill really hate you

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

whatis posted:

at least until tampa makes another few finals, then ill really hate you

you should start cheering for a winner so that you won't have to feel such envy-fueled hatred

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Chicago is what Pittsburgh was supposed to be :negative:.

Now Chicago is going to be what Pittsburgh actually is thanks to paying more for Toews/Kane than the Penguins do for Crosby/Malkin :getin:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

you should start cheering for a winner so that you won't have to feel such envy-fueled hatred

because buffalo is going to win like three cups in the next handful of years? im cheering for the right team, its everyone else who is wrong

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Now Chicago is going to be what Pittsburgh actually is thanks to paying more for Toews/Kane than the Penguins do for Crosby/Malkin :getin:

Except that Chicago has been through all this before and bounced back to win another couple cups. Some stupid team is going to give up a 1st rounder and a top prospect for Sharp, someone else will trade valuable roster players for Bickell and the Hawks will be back in the WCF a year from now. As it is written, so it shall be.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is the "old guy healthy scratching his way to a cup tear jerker etc" thing going to be a thing that I have to put up with from now on? I don't like this very much.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bewbies posted:

Is the "old guy healthy scratching his way to a cup tear jerker etc" thing going to be a thing that I have to put up with from now on? I don't like this very much.

have you been in a coma for the past 30 years of sports narratives? this isn't new

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

It's truly repugnant that people would enjoy watching a player who struggled to win a cup cap their distinguished career by hoisting hockey's ultimate prize. It really sticks in my craw that captains don't hand the cup off to the Conn Smythe winner followed by all of his teammates in order of points accrued in the finals each time. REAL hockey captains wouldn't let sentimentality come in the way of things.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

bewbies posted:

"I hate good sports narratives and furthermore"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

have you been in a coma for the past 30 years of sports narratives? this isn't new

I'm pretty sure it started with Bourque who was one of the best players in the league when he won it and was also one of the best to ever play so that was actually a good narrative, it is just contrived and stupid now.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
the saddest part of the playoffs has to be thinktank's rooting for the blackhawks.

no, my team losing was the saddest part.

but yeah thinktank come on man it's ok to root for your conference, but you're open mouth kissing of the blackhawks is just insufferable

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Except that Chicago has been through all this before and bounced back to win another couple cups. Some stupid team is going to give up a 1st rounder and a top prospect for Sharp, someone else will trade valuable roster players for Bickell and the Hawks will be back in the WCF a year from now. As it is written, so it shall be.

Yeah they're certainly more well managed than the Penguins (though who isn't?) so I'm sure they'll be just fine unfortunately.

They're going to have a harder time than they've had though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I kind of wanted Tampa to win because Stevie

but honestly I like Chicago's jersey's way more

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Anyone else not quite sober at work right now?

Whole lotta sleepy motherfuckers in Chicago right now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

bewbies posted:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4677088/hawks-petition-to-include-mayers-on-cup

This one was even more blatant, because at least Timmonen played in like 10 games in the playoffs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

the saddest part of the playoffs has to be thinktank's rooting for the blackhawks.

no, my team losing was the saddest part.

but yeah thinktank come on man it's ok to root for your conference, but you're open mouth kissing of the blackhawks is just insufferable

We all love what we can't have.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also it has been 7 years since the team I was rooting for won the cup so beware all ye teams who I prefer, you are doomed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah they're certainly more well managed than the Penguins (though who isn't?) so I'm sure they'll be just fine unfortunately.

They're going to have a harder time than they've had though.

It'll still be easier than 2010, where stuff like Toews getting the Conn Smythe triggered a bonus clause that hit the next year cap. Plus the RFA debacle with Tallon.

I really wish Sharp could stay because he's one of the 7 to be part of all 3 cups but with his decline this year and the cap crunch it'll be sad to see him go. I'd rather see Crawford go but whatever.

I'd also really like to see Vermette get re-signed to play 2nd line center, maybe 3rd line depending on Teuvo's progression although my fantasy line of Kane/Teuvo/Panarin would be really tiny.

rolling out
Saad/Toews/Hossa
Panarin/Vermette/Kane
Versteeg/Teuvo/Nordstrom
Shaw/Kruger/Desjardins

and TVR possibly in place of Oduya if he leaves would still be a pretty great team , especially if Cumsikey/Rundblad were resigned and developed a bit. So just need to resign Saad/Kruger as RFAs and Vermette/Desjardins as UFAs, trade Sharp/Bickell for bags of pucks, let Richards go, and all should be well.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 16, 2015

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Nail Rat posted:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4677088/hawks-petition-to-include-mayers-on-cup

This one was even more blatant, because at least Timmonen played in like 10 games in the playoffs.

Who the gently caress is Jamal Mayers?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Infidel Castro posted:

Who the gently caress is Jamal Mayers?

He was in charge of handling Pronger-related customer service complaints for a few years.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A punchman so valuable he played zero times in the postseason that year.

I mean, he's got 900 career games so he's not some schmuck, and apparently he's a nice guy and all that, but he didn't really factor into the cup run.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Mostly useless bit of trivia, it took until last nights game for Keith to overtake Ovechkin for the lead in playoff shot attempts at 143 to 142. Keith played 437:35 more than Ovechkin.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Did they do away with the waiting period while I wasn't looking?

The interview period is still in effect, I believe it starts June 26th (same day as the draft). It'll be interesting to see if UFA rights are still traded for picks considering there's less impetus to do so now.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

mastershakeman posted:

It'll still be easier than 2010, where stuff like Toews getting the Conn Smythe triggered a bonus clause that hit the next year cap. Plus the RFA debacle with Tallon.

I really wish Sharp could stay because he's one of the 7 to be part of all 3 cups but with his decline this year and the cap crunch it'll be sad to see him go. I'd rather see Crawford go but whatever.

I'd also really like to see Vermette get re-signed to play 2nd line center, maybe 3rd line depending on Teuvo's progression although my fantasy line of Kane/Teuvo/Panarin would be really tiny.

rolling out
Saad/Toews/Hossa
Panarin/Vermette/Kane
Versteeg/Teuvo/Nordstrom
Shaw/Kruger/Desjardins

and TVR possibly in place of Oduya if he leaves would still be a pretty great team , especially if Cumsikey/Rundblad were resigned and developed a bit. So just need to resign Saad/Kruger as RFAs and Vermette/Desjardins as UFAs, trade Sharp/Bickell for bags of pucks, let Richards go, and all should be well.

It's doubtful the Hawks will be able to afford Vermette if they re-sign Kruger and and Saad. Fortunately they have some NHL-ready bottom six guys in Rockford, and Teuvo has the skillset to be the 2C of the future. Cumiskey isn't going to develop any more than he already has (he's 28), and I don't think Rundblad is worth keeping over some of the prospects the Hawks have in the system (particularly Stephen Johns).

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mastershakeman posted:

I'm pretty much the world's biggest Patrick Sharp fan, but I'd rather have Crawford come back than Sharp. Vermette would be cool to get back, but you could probably get both Kruger and Oduya back for the same price, and I'd rather have those two.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Kruger is as much of the core now as Saad, both are untouchable. Johns will be in the NHL next season. Vermette Richards Bickell Sharp Oduya are all gone. Seabrook is possibly gone as well, either way he's getting a considerable raise.

Zero possibility of them trading Crawford.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

onemillionzombies posted:

Kruger is as much of the core now as Saad, both are untouchable. Johns will be in the NHL next season. Vermette Richards Bickell Sharp Oduya are all gone. Seabrook is possibly gone as well, either way he's getting a considerable raise.

Zero possibility of them trading Crawford.

I've never heard anywhere that Seabrook is on the chopping block. Losing Oduya would be bad enough, but losing both Seabrook and Oduya would be awful.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
My 4 year old son still thinks all the 'bad guys' in every hockey game are the Blackhawks, who are bad because they steal babies. I had to come up with a sure fire way of making sure he'll still love Vancouver even if his daycare provider loves the Blackhawks.

I'm glad I taught him good things when he was young, but I'm sad he'll grow up in a world thinking baby snatchers win Stanley Cups.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've never heard anywhere that Seabrook is on the chopping block. Losing Oduya would be bad enough, but losing both Seabrook and Oduya would be awful.

His contract is up and he's got 3 cups on his resume, dude wants to get paid.

Birdemani
Nov 4, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's been tossed around by random talking heads. No one that I trust as an NHL reporter has mentioned it that I can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

onemillionzombies posted:

His contract is up and he's got 3 cups on his resume, dude wants to get paid.

Seabrook is under control for one more year.

• Locked thread