Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Plan Z posted:

How many more millions until they turn a profit on Shenmue 1? This isn't a Goony threadshit, I'm genuinely sort of curious.

It costed 70 million to make and sold 1.2 million. So it's probably not gonna happen with the kickstarter alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Things were different when it was made originally.

It cost so much because nothing like this had been done before to the level of fidelity that they managed to achieve.

Also it was a multiple year project, it started out on the Saturn, footage of this version is included with Shenmue II.

The vast majority of that budget would be wages for the huge team that worked creating visual and audio assets for the game.

These days I would imagine it's an awful lot quicker to create the actual content for the game + use an off the shelf engine, because they had to do all of that poo poo themselves back then.

I guess that Sega wanted nothing to do with it because it drat near ruined the company.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
the most mundane pitch ever and they will break a two million asking fee in about 24 hours.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This was posted in the E3 thread. Pretty much my reaction as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRWL0s0l10

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I like to give Kickstarter a lot of poo poo for some of the ridiculous banal stuff that gets overfunded (Ouya), but if they make this happen I will love them forever.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Funding passed 1.5million in a matter of a few hours. It's happening. This is really happening.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=47611 Ahahahahaha this thread :unsmith:

Been waiting 14 years for this.
i've watched the Dojo change and grow for the last 10 years i've read on these forums.
It's thanks to the Dojo community for keeping the Shenmue topic alive.
I personally like to thank each and every one of you on this forum for being vocal and always believing.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 16, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i want it to be triple the goal by the time i wake up

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This is breaking the record faster than the Successor to Banjo Tooie

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I wonder if the first two games will eventually get re-released or remade. To play Shenmue one you need to either emulate it (and face it, most people who try to download and/or emulate any given old game will probably get malware in the process) or literally buy a Dreamcast.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Well to be fair you really SHOULD buy a Dreamcast anyway.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BiggerJ posted:

I wonder if the first two games will eventually get re-released or remade. To play Shenmue one you need to either emulate it (and face it, most people who try to download and/or emulate any given old game will probably get malware in the process) or literally buy a Dreamcast.

If sega owns them still i could see a me too release around the launch of this game. as both a consolation prize to xbox and a warm up for everyone else like the way dark souls 2 was released this year.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Now that it's been 14 years and it's finally been announced, I fear that I will be too anxious waiting for it to come out. Crazy, I know.

Apparently it was someone from Shenmue Dojo that donated $10,000. That's amazing. Also there's this: http://www.cnet.com/news/shenmue-3-becomes-fastest-game-to-ever-hit-1-million-on-kickstarter/
I thought Bloodstained was the fastest one until now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BiggerJ posted:

I hope there's a rerelease of 1 and 2. I want to replay them but can't handle that kind of loading time anymore. Does playing emulated versions fix that?

They need to get his english voice actor back too.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
If shenmue 3 is a 5 minute game of me just literally walking up to lan di and body checking his rear end out a loving 80--story window this will be worth every penny of my 100 dollars. I have a feeling most of the people backing this sub-consciously feel the same way. So this talk about "B-But the budget of the last game!" can get stuffed. Yu suzuki is a god drat wizard. He'll make it work.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fuku-san and Tom better be in this game, they were the best characters.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Please don't call me Little Suede-Headed Ryo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

HEY MISTER! YOU WANNA WRESTLE?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just give in and embrace the madness, the soul of the dreamcast shines bright this day.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just give in and embrace the madness, the soul of the dreamcast shines bright this day.
The Dreamcast never died, it has always lived on in our hearts. :haw:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've never played the originals and have literally zero connection or nostalgia for them because of that, but gently caress it I threw in $30 on the basis that it will probably be a good game and besides that it sort of reminds me of Yakuza which I did play and did like.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Shima Honnou posted:

I've never played the originals and have literally zero connection or nostalgia for them because of that, but gently caress it I threw in $30 on the basis that it will probably be a good game and besides that it sort of reminds me of Yakuza which I did play and did like.

Yakuza is the bastard child of Shenmue

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Do you want to try a game of lucky hit?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Plan Z posted:

How many more millions until they turn a profit on Shenmue 1? This isn't a Goony threadshit, I'm genuinely sort of curious.

Iirc it cost $80m at the time, and they needed to sell 2 copies for every DC sold just to break even, and I don't think they managed even a 1:1 for dreamcasts sold so, like, $40m? At least? Leaving aside 15 years of inflation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That funding record Bloodstained isn't gonna last that long, eh?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yakuza is the bastard child of Shenmue

Good, I'm glad of it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Aurain posted:

That funding record Bloodstained isn't gonna last that long, eh?
It already got broken.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

It already got broken.

Not doubting you, but by what? I thought the 5.5 mil they got was the highest a game had received on KS?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Aurain posted:

Not doubting you, but by what? I thought the 5.5 mil they got was the highest a game had received on KS?
Oh, I thought you meant fastest million funded for a video game Kickstarter, which Shenmue is now. Whether it dethrones Bloodstained for most funded is yet to be seen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah, I see. Yeah, it hasn't happened yet, but I imagine it's only a matter of time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shima Honnou posted:

shenmue is yakuza except it's all about the pointless bullshit, with very little fighting.

It's so good.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pledged $500 to Shenmue III. worth every penny.
Now please Suzuki-san, make the game you’ve wanted to make and what we've wanted to play for 14 years.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
Anyone else think Sony is taking advantage of Kickstarter crowdfunding and the consumers?

Sony could of funded that game themselves. But they paid attention to success of Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained, and Mighty No. 9. Why pay for it themselves if they could make us pay for it. They obviously know that the fans want it because of that campaign thing that started. There must of been some secret, behind closed doors deal with Sony. Why else would a multi billion dollar corporation promote a Kickstarter during the event where they get the most media coverage? Why else is it not being developed for Xbox One. or even as a stretch goal? I would think that if you were creating a game that was being crowdsourced, you would want to create it for as many platforms as possible for the fans.... Or at least left the idea open to be developed or ported to other consoles. But it straight up says PS4 and PC.

I guess Sony did "win E3" by taking advantage over us and kickstarter. Thing is, I don't even care about the game, or even own a PS4 or Xbox. I'm just salty over Sony abusing crowd sourcing. Thing is though, there is nothing we can do. Of course people want the game and it will get funded.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
uh.... i dont see a optn to import my save from my original dc EU copy of shenmue 2... this is loving BULLLSHIT fck yu suzuki and gently caress this hot mess

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

dizaero posted:

Anyone else think Sony is taking advantage of Kickstarter crowdfunding and the consumers?

Sony could of funded that game themselves. But they paid attention to success of Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained, and Mighty No. 9. Why pay for it themselves if they could make us pay for it. They obviously know that the fans want it because of that campaign thing that started. There must of been some secret, behind closed doors deal with Sony. Why else would a multi billion dollar corporation promote a Kickstarter during the event where they get the most media coverage? Why else is it not being developed for Xbox One. or even as a stretch goal? I would think that if you were creating a game that was being crowdsourced, you would want to create it for as many platforms as possible for the fans.... Or at least left the idea open to be developed or ported to other consoles. But it straight up says PS4 and PC.

I guess Sony did "win E3" by taking advantage over us and kickstarter. Thing is, I don't even care about the game, or even own a PS4 or Xbox. I'm just salty over Sony abusing crowd sourcing. Thing is though, there is nothing we can do. Of course people want the game and it will get funded.

We're getting shenmue 3 though so who gives a gently caress?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

dizaero posted:

The Shenmue series is a very niche market. It makes sense they want to offset some of their costs for a truly expansive game like Shenmue. These kinds of things were inevitable when Kickstarter got big.

But it's not a bad thing. Kickstarter helps revive and invigorate franchises and genres.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dizaero posted:

i paid $29 and i get a copy of the game when its released who gives a poo poo

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dizaero posted:

I have waited 14 years for this, eat my loving dick

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

dizaero posted:

There's obviously some deal with Sony for console exclusivity. They're chipping in some publicity, probably a chunk of money and/or assisting with publishing/distribution and that kind of thing. Not sure how that's abusing crowdsourcing though. The Kickstarter itself doesn't look like Sony is behind it. The rewards indicate that the PC is fairly clearly the lead platform. Does crowdsourcing as a thing have an established set of rules that means that this constitutes abuse? There have been several high profile kickstarters where the crowdsourcing was only part of the funding (for publicity or as an indicator of public interest) and other funding has come from corporations and that didn't seem problematic.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jose posted:

i paid $29 and i get a copy of the game when its released who gives a poo poo

Yeah this is another aspect of it. Honestly you get the game you want to play at a discounted price. Who gives a poo poo?

• Locked thread