Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Wonder if the first hour or something of the game will just be a load of flashbacks to explain to new people and people who haven't touched the games since 2001 what is happening.

Can they even remake the first two or does Sega own them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

dizaero posted:

Anyone else think Sony is taking advantage of Kickstarter crowdfunding and the consumers?
It is kind of easy for Sony to put together $2 million, but I can also see something to the effect of "if you can get $2 million from the general public, we'll have money lined up behind that." It's one of those series that gets talked about, but it's often hard to tell if it's honestly fond or just giggling about sailor jokes and forklifts.

As for precedents, it is basically circumventing the "never pre-order anything" mantra that has always quietly existed but more of the public has been picking up on lately. But at the same time, if projects actually had to extract $10 from you and 50,000 like-minded people to get green-lit by a big publisher, then maybe AAA development wouldn't be the high risk trainwreck that it is today.

Three Cookies posted:

Wonder if the first hour or something of the game will just be a load of flashbacks to explain to new people and people who haven't touched the games since 2001 what is happening.

Can they even remake the first two or does Sega own them?

There's Sega copyrights on the Kickstarter video footage of this new game.

I think they'll do what they did with Shenmue II's Xbox release, and include a cutscene-based movie explaining the plot of the two prior games. I don't think they'll be playable, nor do they need to be. Gameplay was not it's strong suit, but the bizarre immersion and detail. It's from that era when people thought buying stuff online wasn't going to be Amazon but instead like wearing an Oculus and going through a VR simulation of your local mall, then standing in line behind other virtual customers to pay the virtual employee. When Encarta looked like a bookshelf made in KPT Bryce because your Mother didn't understand a search box yet.

So long as the third game includes china closets to dig through and toys to buy, I think people will probably be fine getting a "Previously on Shenmue..."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 16, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

dizaero posted:

Anyone else think Sony is taking advantage of Kickstarter crowdfunding and the consumers?

Sony could of funded that game themselves. But they paid attention to success of Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained, and Mighty No. 9. Why pay for it themselves if they could make us pay for it. They obviously know that the fans want it because of that campaign thing that started. There must of been some secret, behind closed doors deal with Sony. Why else would a multi billion dollar corporation promote a Kickstarter during the event where they get the most media coverage? Why else is it not being developed for Xbox One. or even as a stretch goal? I would think that if you were creating a game that was being crowdsourced, you would want to create it for as many platforms as possible for the fans.... Or at least left the idea open to be developed or ported to other consoles. But it straight up says PS4 and PC.

I guess Sony did "win E3" by taking advantage over us and kickstarter. Thing is, I don't even care about the game, or even own a PS4 or Xbox. I'm just salty over Sony abusing crowd sourcing. Thing is though, there is nothing we can do. Of course people want the game and it will get funded.

You're at bare minimum paying 29 dollars to see a miricle happen.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I put in 29 dollars even though I am indifferent to Shenmue because a lot of people I know are currently in a state of euphoric shock over the announcement and I want to help them get what they have always wanted :shobon:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
New ps4 games are £50 so paying 1/3 of that to get a new shenmue owns imo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dizaero posted:

Yes, I do. I don't think it's abuse either, or that it's bad.

Just like Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained and like 99% of Kickstarter games that have a publisher already "took advantage". It changes absolutely nothing Shenmue 3 actually finally being a thing and on the flipside, allows the developers assurances that there's a tangible audience for what they're creating and allows feedback to reach them via fans due to a stated obligation to actually listen to it.

Kickstarter abuse is when you get your money and run, purposely underdeliver or fail to implement what you promised without honest effort and have no intention of refunding poo poo.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Pomp posted:

I have waited 14 years for this, eat my loving dick

Not only this, but literally two days ago(hell even yesterday for people who didn't see that forklift tweet from suzuki), We all went about our day convinced that shenmue 3 would never ever happen. poo poo I thought Beyond Good and Evil 2 was a more likely thing than this game. Let Sony do whatever the gently caress gymnastics they want to feel safe about this. Games are loving expensive.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

folks i can't be clearer than this: give all your money to the lovely looking japanese guy doing nothing simulator or be put to the sword

Don't worry; I will.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Guess we got the answer on if they could fund 1 & 2 on their own.

Shenmue 3 posted:

Is this game affiliated with SEGA?

SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license.

Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?

The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that.

Looks like whatever deal was struck to allow them to chase the dream of the third on their own means was only Shenmue 3 and anything potentially after 3. However, if this sells reasonably well hopefully the Valkeria Wizards cast a spell over SEGA to make 1 & 2 HD also find its way to PC and consoles because finally turning a profit on that game.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Byolante posted:

I put in 29 dollars even though I am indifferent to Shenmue because a lot of people I know are currently in a state of euphoric shock over the announcement and I want to help them get what they have always wanted :shobon:

On behalf od those people. Thanks!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
only $100,000 left.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want Yu to unleash some sick karate moves on Ouya so he can take the tagline that the shenmue kickstarter deserves

thank you for believing

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I suspect if this gets like 6-10 million dollars in crowdfunding SEGA will kick themselves in the head for doubting in Shenmue.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I suspect if this gets like 6-10 million dollars in crowdfunding SEGA will kick themselves in the head for doubting in Shenmue.

On the day that it hits those numbers and has steam sales like VC, you'll see the goddamn Skies of Arcadia 1 Remaster and 2 Kickstarter.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

Craptacular! posted:

It is kind of easy for Sony to put together $2 million, but I can also see something to the effect of "if you can get $2 million from the general public, we'll have money lined up behind that." It's one of those series that gets talked about, but it's often hard to tell if it's honestly fond or just giggling about sailor jokes and forklifts.

As for precedents, it is basically circumventing the "never pre-order anything" mantra that has always quietly existed but more of the public has been picking up on lately. But at the same time, if projects actually had to extract $10 from you and 50,000 like-minded people to get green-lit by a big publisher, then maybe AAA development wouldn't be the high risk trainwreck that it is today.

I can understand why Sony wouldn't want to fund it. I just hope the devs come out and explain this and be honest and say "Yes a deal was made" or "No a deal wasn't made but Sony did help us promote and that's why we aren't making for Xbox" or "We aren't porting to Xbox for (honest reason)" I need something cus I still think its shady and have my doubts. If it was on every platform or open to the possibility to ever platform, I wouldn't have these doubts.

edit

Speak of the devil. They added a FAQ to the Kickstarter. Vague, but its something.

FAQ posted:

Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?

Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet.

Will there be a physical copy reward for PS4?

The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter will only be offering the digital download version for the PlayStation Network.
Ok. That means its possible. If it was possible, a hidden deal wouldn't of been made with Sony, which is my concern. Unless its a lie of course, but I will try to remain optimistic and stop arguing it. Now I will let you good folk return to your hype.

dizaero fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 16, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
50,000 to go.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

dizaero posted:

I can understand why Sony wouldn't want to fund it. I just hope the devs come out and explain this and be honest and say "Yes a deal was made" or "No a deal wasn't made but Sony did help us promote and that's why we aren't making for Xbox" or "We aren't porting to Xbox for (honest reason)" I need something cus I still think its shady and have my doubts. If it was on every platform or open to the possibility to ever platform, I wouldn't have these doubts.

They are under no obligation, nor should there be any expectation, to make any of that information public. No one else is, why should they?

I still don't understand why you think this is "shady". Or in what way it constitutes "abuse" of crowd funding. A company making a game made some kind of deal with a console manufacturer for some kind of console exclusivity, just like almost every other game at E3. For the record it's not a practice I'm a fan of, but there's nothing shady about it. In this case the game is also being crowdfunded. A lot of games have multiple sources of funding. I just don't get where the abuse is here.

This "hidden deal wouldn't of been made with Sony, which is my concern" sums up why I am confused. Why is a "hidden deal" a concern? Just about every game at E3 involves some kind of "hidden deal", there is nothing intrinsicly shady about that. Do you have concerns about any of them. It seems strange you have concerns about this one in particularly given you have no interest in it. I don't get it, I guess.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 16, 2015

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
What a pleasant suprise. I can't wait to loving murder Lan Di.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ghouldaddy07 posted:

And then he'll have had a son, who will set off on a quest to kill you to avenge his father.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And only 10k left, my goodness it's not even been a day where is this money coming from?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Looks like you only have two of the four Wude

Catalina
May 20, 2008

And $2,000,000! We did it, everyone! It's happening! Shenmue 3 is really happening!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Is there another project that could get funded faster than this?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

smartwatches, long dead TV shows.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Onmi posted:

FFVII Remake

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
Complete strangers all over the world funded 2 million loving dollars in less than 24 hours for a videogame. loving amazing.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Onmi posted:

Skies of Arcadia 3DS

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Finally, after 16 years I'm going to leave that cave.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Monsieur Mango posted:

Complete strangers all over the world funded 2 million loving dollars in less than 24 hours for a videogame. loving amazing.

i know it's really loving depressing

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Monsieur Mango posted:

You look at some of the games that actually have been released the last 4-5 years by Sega (yes I'm talking about nearly all the Sonic games), they totally missed the fact thousands of people really loving want Shenmue.

I'm a bit low on cash at the moment but come payday I'll definately be putting some cash in, I didnt know I was so effected by the original games until a loving shiver went down my spine when I heard the loving theme tune quick in at the Sony press conference

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

Gravy Jones posted:

They are under no obligation, nor should there be any expectation, to make any of that information public. No one else is, why should they?

I still don't understand why you think this is "shady". Or in what way it constitutes "abuse" of crowd funding. A company making a game made some kind of deal with a console manufacturer for some kind of console exclusivity, just like almost every other game at E3. For the record it's not a practice I'm a fan of, but there's nothing shady about it. In this case the game is also being crowdfunded. A lot of games have multiple sources of funding. I just don't get where the abuse is here.

This "hidden deal wouldn't of been made with Sony, which is my concern" sums up why I am confused. Why is a "hidden deal" a concern? Just about every game at E3 involves some kind of "hidden deal", there is nothing intrinsicly shady about that. Do you have concerns about any of them. It seems strange you have concerns about this one in particularly given you have no interest in it. I don't get it, I guess.

Seeing a large corporation promote a Kickstarter so a game that was being made "for the fans" was not on Xbox didn't seem right to me.

I have no proof they have such a deal of course, so I wanted the devs to give a reason why it isn't on Xbox. More I think about it though, I hope the only reason is because the devs do not like Xbox. That would be great and I would agree, because I don't either.

Its fine though. Awesome to see the game break 2 million in under 24 hours.... You guys really like this Shenmue so I won't rain on your parade.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VoLaTiLe posted:

You look at some of the games that actually have been released the last 4-5 years by Sega (yes I'm talking about nearly all the Sonic games), they totally missed the fact thousands of people really loving want Shenmue.

I'm a bit low on cash at the moment but come payday I'll definately be putting some cash in, I didnt know I was so effected by the original games until a loving shiver went down my spine when I heard the loving theme tune quick in at the Sony press conference

kickstarter doens't take the money until the end of the campaign

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

dizaero posted:

Seeing a large corporation promote a Kickstarter so a game that was being made "for the fans" was not on Xbox didn't seem right to me.

I have no proof they have such a deal of course, so I wanted the devs to give a reason why it isn't on Xbox. More I think about it though, I hope the only reason is because the devs do not like Xbox. That would be great and I would agree, because I don't either.

Its fine though. Awesome to see the game break 2 million in under 24 hours.... You guys really like this Shenmue so I won't rain on your parade.

It's a Japanese as gently caress developer that doesn't seem to be tied to any publisher. Why would they bother with Xbox?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm going to a job interview today. If I get the job I'll donate half my first paycheck to this in the name of good video games.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART

Steve2911 posted:

It's a Japanese as gently caress developer that doesn't seem to be tied to any publisher. Why would they bother with Xbox?

I get this now. And seeing how well Shenmue 2 did on Xbox, they could have grudges, which is understandable. They don't need to bother, its their game that they are Kickstarting. They can do whatever they want with it.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Pomp posted:

kickstarter doens't take the money until the end of the campaign

oh really? Awesome

gently caress me 3 people put 10'000 towards this :shepspends:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VoLaTiLe posted:

oh really? Awesome

gently caress me 3 people put 10'000 towards this :shepspends:

And they only have a month for the regret to kick in and take it back.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

dizaero posted:

I have no proof they have such a deal of course, so I wanted the devs to give a reason why it isn't on Xbox.

The reason is they made a deal with Sony. They have no reason to tell us the nature of that deal. That's pretty self-evident. I mean there may be another reason (some kind of rights issue or... just not liking Xbox like you say).

My point isn't whether or not there is any kind of deal... of course there is. It's just that whatever that deal is, is no different to Tomb Raider being a timed exclusive on Xbox, or Firewatch getting time in Sony's conference or that adorable euro-dude with the yarn toy getting pushed onto stage for Ubisoft. These all involved deals. It's not a conspiracy, it's business. I'm not a fan of the whole timed exclusive or exclusive DLC thing, but there isn't really anything shady about it or any reason we need to be informed about the "hidden" deals".

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

$2 mil seems really low for a game like this, even if you are using an existing engine. That would fund a small to medium sized team for, what, maybe a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

The_Franz posted:

$2 mil seems really low for a game like this, even if you are using an existing engine. That would fund a small to medium sized team for, what, maybe a year?

The kickstarter has been up for like 2 hours I think I know thats their goal but I think theres going to be alot more people putting money into this

(apparently its more like 9 hours)

• Locked thread