Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Shenmue 3 goes on kickstarter.

Shenmue 3 is funded.

Thank you Fuku-san.

Gotta have to read up what actually happened in Shenmue 2 now.
I take it a lot of meandering around, asking about triads and actually meeting the girl from the title?

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Zwiebel posted:

Shenmue 3 is funded.

Thank you Fuku-san.

I take it a lot of meandering around, asking about triads and actually meeting the girl from the title?

SHNMUE IS a TREE THE GIRL IS SHENHUA ugh u fuckin idiot gweilo GOD

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

Shenmue 3 is funded.

Thank you Fuku-san.

You walk through a bunch of valleys during the last part of the game. It rules. Some magical poo poo happens. The end.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
That whole last disc where you're in the valleys was dope as poo poo. Also cool was exploring the skyscrapers in Kowloon because there was like 10 of them all with dozens of floors and most of them were totall loving empty but every now and then you'd fnd one with sweet poo poo like a kung fu school or something and when you're 14 with infinite amounts of free time that's exactly how you loving spend it, running around hundreds of identical empty levels in a video game cause you know those bastard developers hid some cool poo poo in there somewhere

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

$750,000 from the $500 tier alone.

I can only imagine what a Phantasy Star / Phantasy Star Online Kickstarter would look like. Even to just pay Sega to release it in the US.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

dizaero posted:

Anyone else think Sony is taking advantage of Kickstarter crowdfunding and the consumers?

Sony could of funded that game themselves. But they paid attention to success of Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained, and Mighty No. 9. Why pay for it themselves if they could make us pay for it. They obviously know that the fans want it because of that campaign thing that started. There must of been some secret, behind closed doors deal with Sony. Why else would a multi billion dollar corporation promote a Kickstarter during the event where they get the most media coverage? Why else is it not being developed for Xbox One. or even as a stretch goal? I would think that if you were creating a game that was being crowdsourced, you would want to create it for as many platforms as possible for the fans.... Or at least left the idea open to be developed or ported to other consoles. But it straight up says PS4 and PC.

I guess Sony did "win E3" by taking advantage over us and kickstarter. Thing is, I don't even care about the game, or even own a PS4 or Xbox. I'm just salty over Sony abusing crowd sourcing. Thing is though, there is nothing we can do. Of course people want the game and it will get funded.

kickstarter crowdfunding people are subhuman retards who deserve to be taken advantage of, so good for sony

and :laffo: at the concern trolling about the xbone

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Oberleutnant posted:

That whole last disc where you're in the valleys was dope as poo poo. Also cool was exploring the skyscrapers in Kowloon because there was like 10 of them all with dozens of floors and most of them were totall loving empty but every now and then you'd fnd one with sweet poo poo like a kung fu school or something and when you're 14 with infinite amounts of free time that's exactly how you loving spend it, running around hundreds of identical empty levels in a video game cause you know those bastard developers hid some cool poo poo in there somewhere

It's been so long, all I remember is being handcuffed to Hong Kong Han Solo and fighting my way up a lovely tower block being chased by a shrieking transwoman with a chainsaw then taking the elevator back down to the basement and having a cage match with a terrifying weeaboo before taking another elevator to the top and fighting a fat bastard on a helipad while Lan Fuckin' Di gives everyone the stink eye hanging off a ladder on a helicopter.

It was like some kind of fever dream. Owned.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harlock posted:

$750,000 from the $500 tier alone.

I can only imagine what a Phantasy Star / Phantasy Star Online Kickstarter would look like. Even to just pay Sega to release it in the US.

Unfortunately I just don't think anything can replicate the PSO experience again. Realizing that you were playing a video game, on your TV, over the internet, was a one-time moment of amazement that seems so passe now. I haven't played PSO2 but visually it just looks so complicated, too much stuff going on that runs against the chill atmosphere of the original PSO.

Last I checked though there IS still an independently run server for Blue Burst on PC, which is the definitive version of the original. Might wanna check it out if you need to scratch the redbox itch.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Oberleutnant posted:

I remember some kind of massive collaboration where people were going to explore every room in Kowloon. Dunno if they actually pulled it off. I remember finding the kung-fu school and even the orphanage before you were supposed to.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Oberleutnant posted:

SHNMUE IS a TREE THE GIRL IS SHENHUA ugh u fuckin idiot gweilo GOD

Haha, I guess I should've put up a trigger warning. I meant "title screen" and all the assorted illustrations, not the title of the game itself.
Sorry about that. I guess that happened a lot back in the day.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i hear the physical version comes with a Shenmue Passport 2015 disc that includes a dating service

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Time to get Ryo to drink a soda whenever I'm thirsty again insytead of getting up and getting a drink myself because I'm a lazy retard.

:allears:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't play Shenmue, but I did watch the premitive play through on SA. I backed this, Mighty #9 and that Castlevania game. This is last and arguable the most important one of the "long lost" projects from the 90s when video game was a Japanese hobby industry.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Good lord almost 2.5 million at the moment. I mean holy poo poo for the past decade it never even crossed my mind that I would finally be finishing Shenmue one day.

I'm gonna be loving pissed if I get killed or something the day before release.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can't believe this is really happening.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

Good lord almost 2.5 million at the moment. I mean holy poo poo for the past decade it never even crossed my mind that I would finally be finishing Shenmue one day.

I'm gonna be loving pissed if I get killed or something the day before release.

if i die before shenmue 3 is out, I need one of you to come to my grave and play with me

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Pomp posted:

if i die before shenmue 3 is out, I need one of you to come to my grave and play with me

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Housh posted:

I can't believe this is really happening.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That trailer is really really bad, especially the voice acting.

Still going to donate every penny I earn between now and release date, obviously.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

2.5 Million in less than 24 hours. Remember how impressed we were with Doublefine getting 3 million in a month?

lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Still going to donate every penny I earn between now and release date, obviously.

It just wouldn't be Shenmue without a voice cast that sounds doped to the eyeballs.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
If I donate 25k Suzuki himself better run me over with a forklift.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

How is this not a stretch goal

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

For reals though, if I don't get the forklift as my toy for donating, I'm going to be upset.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

"Yeah"

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

(Exact same clip) "Yeah"

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

Pledge $5,000 or more: We dress you up like Goro and allow you to wander the Yokosuka harbor district looking for bros

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsibwSkp0as

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
So is there any reason to give a gently caress about shenmue 3 in 2015 when the yakuza series has existed for years, is made by most of the same people that made the shenmue games and is infinitely better in the gameplay/story/recreating an actual asian city down to the tiny details departments?

'Sides nostalgia, I mean.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Shenmue is a good deal more detailed than the Yakuza series, IMO. Most of that detail is pointless filler, so Yakuza probably feels more full. But still.

Honestly, they're different play experiences. Yakuza feels like playing an Asian gangster movie from the 70s or 80s, complete with batshit fast moving plot, frequent fights and big set pieces. Shenmue is a less focused, more zen experience where you wander around looking for sailors and bilking locals at Lucky Hit for pocket change to feed your plastic figurine addiction.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Not nearly as catchy as the Don Quijote song. :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

darealkooky posted:

So is there any reason to give a gently caress about shenmue 3 in 2015 when the yakuza series has existed for years, is made by most of the same people that made the shenmue games and is infinitely better in the gameplay/story/recreating an actual asian city down to the tiny details departments?

I imagine that most people who remember Shenmue fondly like it for the mundane aspects, not the action. It's a totally different experience.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

darealkooky posted:

Do you mean for you or for other people who aren't you? For you probably not. For me yes. Although nostalgia is a big part of it I enjoyed Shenmue, especially the second one and don't particularly like the Yakuza games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I love Yakuza. I love Shenmue. They scratch two totally different itches but they both do an excellent job of "bunch of pointless wastes of time"

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

darealkooky posted:

Really depends on what you want in a game. Shenmue was one of those things where I lost track of time because I explored everything, and compared to other open-ended type games, especially the new fallouts and elder scrolls, the world just felt more fleshed out. A lot of the modern stuff grabs your attention through action. Shenmue did it through atmosphere. The music, the locations, even the badly-voiced people had some sort of charm that I haven't seen in other games of its genre.

If you like adventure type games, I think it'll succeed. With a brand new graphics engine, I'm actually really interested. Shenmue II for its time was beautiful. Can't wait to see what they can pull off with modern hardware.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I want to know how the series ends.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

turnip kid posted:

I want to know how the series ends.

ryo defeats lan di in 1 on 1 battle but by this time his experiences have taught him that murder and vengeance are wrong and solve nothing, and he comes to terms with his father's death and spares lan di's life, showing moral superiority. then when he turns to walk away lan di unexpectedly attacks ryo but misses and then falls into a conveniently placed environmental hazard such as a really big fan blade or some spiked railings or something and that kills lan di instantly so that the bloodthirsty video game player can enjoy the moral fable that bad people die in gruesome ways but without the ethical dilemma of having the heroic protagonist kill him

you didn't have to wait 15 years for this :cheers:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Oberleutnant posted:

ryo defeats lan di in 1 on 1 battle but by this time his experiences have taught him that murder and vengeance are wrong and solve nothing, and he comes to terms with his father's death and spares lan di's life, showing moral superiority. then when he turns to walk away lan di unexpectedly attacks ryo but misses and then falls into a conveniently placed environmental hazard such as a really big fan blade or some spiked railings or something and that kills lan di instantly so that the bloodthirsty video game player can enjoy the moral lesson that bad people die in gruesome ways but without the ethical dilemma of having the heroic protagonist kill him

But there's also magic so Lan Di turns into a chinese dragon after he falls

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

But there's also magic so Lan Di turns into a chinese dragon after he falls

But then Ryo turns into a a Japanese dragon (Godzilla)?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

But then Ryo turns into a a Japanese dragon (Godzilla)?

:rolleyes: Oh my God you guys, there was a dragon mirror and a phoenix mirror, obviously Ryo will turn into a phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ

spoiler alert

• Locked thread