Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

zenintrude posted:

Looks like it's time for me to finally put the pedal to the metal and finish Shenmue II... For all the aficionados here, I'm I better off playing it on DC or Xbox? I own both versions.

Are you European

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ZenVulgarity posted:

How much money is Sony floating for this

I kind of wonder that too. Even if they make all their stretch goals and Sony doubles it, I don't think a Shenmue with any sort of scope is being made for $8 million. They have to be putting in a good chunk I'd imagine.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

zenintrude posted:

Looks like it's time for me to finally put the pedal to the metal and finish Shenmue II... For all the aficionados here, I'm I better off playing it on DC or Xbox? I own both versions.

On Dreamcast you can import your save data.

On Xbox you can experience charmingly bad English VA.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
hosed up voice acting is an integral part of the Shenmue experience

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Junpei Hyde posted:

On Dreamcast you can import your save data.

On Xbox you can experience charmingly bad English VA.

wait, the xbox version of shenmue ii has english voice? how did i not know this

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

abagofcheetos posted:

wait, the xbox version of shenmue ii has english voice? how did i not know this

would you like to try a game of lucky hit?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Play both, idiot.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rusty Staub posted:

would you like to try a game of lucky hit?

How about a game of Lucky Hit?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
THREE!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Play both, idiot.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I traded in my eu DC copy of shenmue 2 for some lovely psOne games yeeeaarrrs ago. I'm literally loving retarded.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm going to a job interview today. If I get the job I'll donate half my first paycheck to this in the name of good video games.

I got the job, however it starts next month so I'll probably not be able to literally do this. I shall try to spare a bunch of money anyway, I'll be mad if my toy isn't the forklift.

Thanks Yu Suzuki. I'm going to pretend you got me a job.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

I traded in my eu DC copy of shenmue 2 for some lovely psOne games yeeeaarrrs ago. I'm literally loving retarded.
Yeah.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

PunkBoy posted:

How about a game of Lucky Hit?

Yeah. It's $50 a try, and the rule is...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

I got the job, however it starts next month so I'll probably not be able to literally do this. I shall try to spare a bunch of money anyway, I'll be mad if my toy isn't the forklift.

Thanks Yu Suzuki. I'm going to pretend you got me a job.

Is it a job forklifting? I wonder how many kids aspired to be forklift drivers after Shenmue came out.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

Yeah. It's $50 a try, and the rule is...

I KNOW THE RULES

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

How much money is Sony floating for this

I'm not familiar enough with Shenmue to know if the lovely art in the video is supposed to be the new one or one of the old ones but a AAA game is going to cost $20-$80 million.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The graphics in the pitch video look like it was made in The Sims or some poo poo. The pitch could've really just been a Shenmue 3 logo with Yu Suzuki giving thumbs up and it would've made little difference.

I'd honestly settle for Shenmue 2 graphics, except with all NPCs at Ryo-like quality.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

nm

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I'm confused. So now that the Kickstarter was successful, Sony is going to fund the game. And their story is that the Kickstarter was used to determine whether there was enough interest in the game to warrant making it. If it was successful—if they reached two million dollars within thirty days—they would fund it; if it fell short, they wouldn't. In other words, they claim they were less than 100% sure they would receive in thirty days the two million dollars they received in a few hours. I'm having trouble believing this. Am I missing something?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I'm confused. So now that the Kickstarter was successful, Sony is going to fund the game. And their story is that the Kickstarter was used to determine whether there was enough interest in the game to warrant making it. If it was successful—if they reached two million dollars within thirty days—they would fund it; if it fell short, they wouldn't. In other words, they claim they were less than 100% sure they would receive in thirty days the two million dollars they received in a few hours. I'm having trouble believing this.

This is how every gaming kickstarter works. It's just to show publishers, and more likely stockholders, that a game is a commodity with an audience.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

They were probably pretty sure it would hit it's goal. If it raised $2 million, then that's $2 million less that Sony has to front. If it didn't, then that's a really good indication that nobody gives enough of a poo poo about the game for them to make their development money back, and it's a good reason to cut bait and run. Either way, it makes good business sense for Sony.

If the money's on the table, why not take it? I wouldn't be surprised to see more games companies use Kickstarter as a stalking horse for reboots of their old abandoned titles.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Anyone can say "boy I sure wish Shenmue 3 were a thing" but we now have solid proof that people actually are willing to throw down the cash and not just watch Pewdiepie or some poo poo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gutcruncher posted:

Anyone can say "boy I sure wish Shenmue 3 were a thing" but we now have solid proof that people actually are willing to throw down the cash and not just watch Pewdiepie or some poo poo

Yeah, internet communities are easy to dismiss as a few really hardcore fans. I remember when people used to dismiss Earthbound because they thought that it was a few dozen people on starmen.net. Now that Earthbound is out on VC, Nintendo knows that there is a dedicated fanbase in the US.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, there's lots of talk from communities, but that doesn't always translate into proper sales. Kickstarters are great way for fans to throw way more money at a franchise than they would've expected to instead of just buying more copies at launch.

Edit: vvv Which I can actually completely agree with. Why waste a lot of time and effort figuring out if a game will sell enough to recoup the investment when fans can tell you directly, not to mention you get basically free advertisement when those fans try and convince their friends to kickstart? Heck as long as the publisher admits from the getgo this is what they're doing, I've no issue with this sort of market gauging.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 17, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From a marketing standpoint, tossing out a Kickstarter gives you a sense of how much interest exists, where it's coming from, and how much people will spend on their digital perks. Why pay some guy to research all that stuff when fans will pay YOU and give you that market research for free?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I'm confused. So now that the Kickstarter was successful, Sony is going to fund the game. And their story is that the Kickstarter was used to determine whether there was enough interest in the game to warrant making it. If it was successful—if they reached two million dollars within thirty days—they would fund it; if it fell short, they wouldn't. In other words, they claim they were less than 100% sure they would receive in thirty days the two million dollars they received in a few hours. I'm having trouble believing this. Am I missing something?

There was a website I frequented years ago that was having issues paying for articles and hosting. They had a poll out on if they offered shirts, would people buy them? I, along with thousands of people, voted yes. I then proceeded to buy one when offered.

Apparently only 12 people or some ridiculously low number like that actually followed through.

Testing the waters like this is a great idea and a win for everyone:

Sony execs get some confirmation this will work, good word of mouth. To be fair to them, why should they invest in a decades old series that was on their competition's consoles and didn't sell well even back then? But people have now put their money where their mouths are.

Backers get a cheap copy of the game at launch, some swag if they want to go in deeper. If they fail to reach the goal, well, no money is taken out.

Suzuki gets to make his game.

Really the only way this wouldn't be successful is if you didn't think the game would actually be made or if it is total crap, but I have confidence that a game promoted by Sony at E3 by Suzuki will be completed and competent.

2 million for a game like Shenmue was obviously insufficient, I don't know why people thought the thing was going to be 100% KS funded. It premiered during Sony's E3 conference!

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
This was basically the preorder rush, so Sony / Suzuki get profits from a game that won't be out for two years. I don't know what expectations they have for selling past the hardcore fans though.

I guess there's some theoretical number of people they think they can hook if they can nab the diehard fanbase this easily

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

the REAL money is made when Sega starts printing up new copies of I & II for DC and Xbox and eBaying them a few at a time

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Two questions: Do you think that there will be a boxed PS4 copy of Shenmue 3 or will it just be digital, and Do you think that Sega will rerelease Shenmue I and II on Steam or some other service like that amidst the Shenmue 3 hype?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Rusty Staub posted:

the REAL money is made when Sega starts printing up new copies of I & II for DC

I can already hear people blowing the dust off their Utopia discs

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Smoking Crow posted:

Two questions: Do you think that there will be a boxed PS4 copy of Shenmue 3 or will it just be digital, and Do you think that Sega will rerelease Shenmue I and II on Steam or some other service like that amidst the Shenmue 3 hype?

The answers to both of your questions, per the Kickstarter's FAQ section at the bottom, is no.

However, that doesn't mean that both will definitely not happen. With the overwhelmingly positive reception so far, I could potentially see them going back and changing their mind about a physical PS4 release (especially since this seems to be the most popular request in the comments section).

Re-releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 depend on Sega, however. Again, this could possibly happen, but it would require some complicated licensing issues if they were to partner with this Kickstarter campaign.

I think the PS4 physical release is quite possible. I think re-releases of Shenmue 1 and 2 are not as likely to happen, but still within the realm of possibility.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Is it a job forklifting? I wonder how many kids aspired to be forklift drivers after Shenmue came out.

Unfortunately no. I shall have to buy a Dreamcast and Shenmue so I can drive a virtual forklift.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Shenmue 3 made it all the way to Time Magazine!

http://time.com/3923809/shenmue-3-kickstarter-campaign/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Kickstart the Dreamcast 2 and reset the last sixteen years of this disastrous, costly console war.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Kickstart the Dreamcast 2 and reset the last sixteen years of this disastrous, costly console war.

Brokebrain Sega kids with no money have grown into Brokebrain Sega adults with marginal amounts of money. The time is right Sega

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My body is ready.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I can already hear people blowing the dust off their Utopia discs

I got banned for warez for discussing this in too much detail back in the day. I consider it a badge of honour. I'm in Europe but have a US Dreamcast for some reason. I didn't realize you could unban so started a new account.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

exquisite tea posted:

"Ecco the Dolphin's story was left unfinished..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Gimme a dreamcast 2 with Shenmue 3, Silent Scope 3, Power Stone 3, a new Phantasy Star Online, and uh..... chuchu rocket 2

e: and new JSR and Space Channel 5, obvs.

e: not to mention a new MDK. gat drat the DC was a sick console.

• Locked thread