Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

i think my favorite part of yesterday was that badass modern day viking with the cane talking about the soldier fight game

That guy was hamming it up like crazy "when you look inside yourself, do you see a knight? a viking? a samurai perhaps eh?"

I bet he doesn't need that cane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ethanol posted:

I want it to be good but ubisoft is good at hiring really cool people

and then loving squashing their ideas, i mean murdering them in the break room with an ice pick

Michel Ancel dead and left to rot, a copy of BGandE clutched in one hand, the demo footage from WiLD in the other

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Pakled posted:

That was pretty bad but Aisha Tyler going on and on about making a "meme" with an incredibly awkward cosplayer in the audience was worse.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

raditts posted:

AND with voice acting

I loved FF7 but Square hasn't even been able to touch the periphery of FF7 in the last 10 years without loving it up. I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to deliver on this after seeing what happened to Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, and Crisis Core.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Marvelous Chester is such a great name for that smug bastard. Hahaha.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

I loved FF7 but Square hasn't even been able to touch the periphery of FF7 in the last 10 years without loving it up. I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to deliver on this after seeing what happened to Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, and Crisis Core.

As long as they don't gently caress up the combat system, it'll be fine.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Help Im Alive posted:

That guy was hamming it up like crazy "when you look inside yourself, do you see a knight? a viking? a samurai perhaps eh?"

Of course not. The cane is a sword.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ilustforponydeath posted:

As long as they don't gently caress up the combat system, it'll be fine.

yeah but lol if you believe they won't

e: also as much as I'm worried about them loving it up, not changing it would be worse. Are you really pining for a broken, turn-based combat system from 20 years ago?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Someone really should make a fleshlight with a USB plug for Summer Lesson.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Firstborn posted:

Of course not. The cane is a sword.

Uh it's called a Self-Defense EDC (Everyday Carry) Personal Cane Sword

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I was disappointed that there was no pre-rendered in-engine gameplay footage

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

Someone really should make a fleshlight with a USB plug for Summer Lesson.

if it hasn't already happened someone is furiously working on it as we speak

the future is now

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

That guy had the exact kind of energy and presence necessary for a press conference like that, which made it all the more disappointing when the game he showed wasn't particularly interesting.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I sorta wish what the FF7 remake would have gone for on Kickstarter and its stretch goals.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

raditts posted:

What... how... why...

and how did they manage to gently caress up the d-pad yet again when there's no reason not to just use the cross design?

Cross design is an option (the parts are inter-changeable) but still, $150. And it's 130 pounds in the U.K., which is over $200USD. :allears: :retrogames:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Grey Fox posted:

That guy had the exact kind of energy and presence necessary for a press conference like that, which made it all the more disappointing when the game he showed wasn't particularly interesting.

I thought the game looked fine, but limiting it to Vikings, Knights, and Samurai seemed like this game will just become the game that's on a tv in the back of a movie you are watching 5 years from now. The mom tells the son it's bedtime and he says he will turn it off as soon as he gets to a save point.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The one game that uses the Kinect (Just Dance) no longer using the Kinect was probably the subtly funniest part of their whole Keynote.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Firstborn posted:

The most awkward was Yarny's boyfriend, hands shaking, telling a story in wavering voice about a summer spent alone with his waifu made of string.

I can't tell if he was super nervous or super excited to finally show everyone his wire yarndoll..

Sorry mate. Yoshi's Wooly World is all the yarn action I need :yoshi::colbert:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheChirurgeon posted:

What was wrong with those games?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I can't tell if he was super nervous or super excited to finally show everyone his wire yarndoll..

this is every goon at e3

actual TV presenters like aisha taylor are aliens from the planet Xorb

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Good to see people excited.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Infinitum posted:

Know what's funny? This game had a more Little Big Planet look than that weird Dreams game. I don't understand how that mechanic will make games. You could probably make some very cool little short movies with it, but I'm curious to see how you manipulate the mechanics of the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want to hold your hand in HD so badly Barrett-sempai

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Some men masturbate on stage to cars, some men cry on stage to yarn. Please don't judge either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Saint Freak posted:

The one game that uses the Kinect (Just Dance) no longer using the Kinect was probably the subtly funniest part of their whole Keynote.

So how does that game work now anyway, if there's no actual motion tracking? Is it just like you "dance" as well as you can to a music video and then decide what score you earned?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

MinibarMatchman posted:

the more I see of it the more I think it's going to be the new Spore. like, it's elite dangerous but with nothing to loving do

You act like there is something to do in Elite: Dangerous.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Want to hold your hand in HD so badly Barrett-sempai

This alone really makes that remake worth it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Takoluka posted:

Advent Children was really dumb, turned Cloud into an emo babby when he wasn't supposed to be

Dirge of Cerberus controlled like poo poo and was really unfun, also had a lot of bad sequel tropes

Crisis Core was good afaik except for the badguy being literally just Gackt.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

raditts posted:

So how does that game work now anyway, if there's no actual motion tracking? Is it just like you "dance" as well as you can to a music video and then decide what score you earned?

Your smart phone will work as a Wiimote surrogate, basically.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Firstborn posted:

Know what's funny? This game had a more Little Big Planet look than that weird Dreams game. I don't understand how that mechanic will make games. You could probably make some very cool little short movies with it, but I'm curious to see how you manipulate the mechanics of the game.

My current assumption is its more about creating "scenes" than games but you can give some objects an AI like in littlebigplanet and have interactions to make "games"

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
sorry but the grim darkness of the ff7 eu allows only for cloud to look into the distance while cursing his magic cancer

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Takoluka posted:

Advent Children was a terrible movie about Sephiroth coming back to fight Cloud again or something, Dirge of Cerberus was a lovely third-person shooter, and Crisis Core was an OK but forgettable PSP game. All three had needlessly convoluted plots relating to Sephiroth that actually made FF7 look worse in comparison.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
he can say something really broody too like "i can't save anyone. i'm useless"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Infinitum posted:

He was extremely excited and passionate but the kind of super excited you see when you meet a random weirdo for the first time and accidentally trigger them to talk about what their favorite JRPG is, how great it is being a furry, and the virtues of playing for hours in Final Fantasy 14 by yourself. He was only a little nervous.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sword_man.gif posted:

he can say something really broody too like "i can't save anyone. i'm useless"

Or "...."

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Or "...."

Cloud: Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone. Not my family, not my friends, nobody.
Cloud: [to Zack] I said I'd live both our lives... Easier to make that promise...
Cloud: Are sins... ever forgiven?
Cloud: I was right. I'm no good to anyone. Vincent. What do you know about this?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Nervous Yarnman's game looks charming and I hope it does OK

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Monkey Fracas posted:

Nervous Yarnman's game looks charming and I hope it does OK

Same. The visuals were also pretty great and it's good to see EA push out new IP

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really hope against hope that they don't use the Advent Children characterizations, if only by the virtue that it's technically sequel material and the characters aren't "that way" yet. The script needs to be completely rewritten, and some of the goofy things are going to be even goofier. Riding dolphins outside of Junon? Falling into a ghost train station after threatening castration? Barret randomly firing into the air like a crazy gently caress? Cid cursing all the god drat time? How is the reveal for Cloud as a pussy foot soldier going to be handled? Hojo trying to make Red breed with Aeris? It's easy to forget just how whacky FF7 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

I really hope against hope that they don't use the Advent Children characterizations

hope is a mistake

• Locked thread