Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

The movie actually answers this question

They see them all over the planet eating each other when humans aren't around. Effectively they once hunted prey on the planet, drove it to extinction, and this is what they're left with. Given there were human colonists on the planet not more than a few years before that, it's likely the creatures are themselves going to go extinct soon.

... so in this case, a wizard didn't do it.

but it doesn't make sense to have an ecosystem where the only trophic level is apex predators. that's like finding an ocean with nothing but Great white sharks. not even any plankton or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
alright OP i just watched the movie so i could answer your question

looks like they hibernate for the 22 years then get restless as the eclipse gets close, swarm, and eat everything

at first they ate whatever made the huge skeletons and that probably lasted them a while, so they spend a few hundred cycles eating 2 or three hundred space mammoths every 22 years, population gets bigger and bigger, the mammoths die off fully before the human settlers show up so the raptors are hungry and eat them up and then they show up during the movie and hardly get any food so they start eating each other

they are pretty obviously high food chain things like Aliens so once food is scarce they eat each other to enforce true natural selection (which otherwise cant happen since even a retarded, crippled raptor could take on most prey) then the few left after the cannibal party go back underground and breed/hibernate, rinse repeat until either more life shows up or the raptors die out/evolve into a spacefaring superdinosaur

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Harald posted:

but it doesn't make sense to have an ecosystem where the only trophic level is apex predators. that's like finding an ocean with nothing but Great white sharks. not even any plankton or anything.

except it is literally not that, they see giant skeletons of whatever the raptors ate before they went extinct

its an ecosystem ruined by the apex predators that are now so hungry that their swarming feeding frenzy involves cannibalization

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Harald posted:

It's not really a fair comparison considering we don't really know anything about the biology of these aliens.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SweetKarma posted:

It's not really a fair comparison considering we don't really know anything about the biology of these aliens.

maybe they are just big ants

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

maybe they are just big ants

maybe they are literally raptors, which is what they are in the movie

where the gently caress did ants come from

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SweetKarma posted:

They're sort of like ants. Except they work on a 22 year clock, instead of a 1 year clock. If ants can't find enough food to survive they seek out nearby colonies to steal food from or to just kill and eat, there are probably multiple colonies on this planet. If they can't find a colony they begin to eat each other in order to feed the queen(s). If the queen(s) die a worker becomes the new queen and naturally develops reproductive organs. Every egg she lays is actually a clone of herself. Naturally the colony will eventually die because of a lack of genetic diversity, but if they get a chance to mate with a different colony then genetic diversity is restored and the species lives on.

SweetKarma posted:

Ants are driven by the seasons. In spring they come out of hibernation, they gather food and breed during the summer, in fall and winter they go back into hibernation. The worker ants will actually form a ball around the queen(s) in order to ensure they are warm enough to survive the winter.

SweetKarma posted:

Can we just make this thread about ants because that's the only thing I know anything about. I feel like I could contribute to an ant-related thread.

maybe if youd READ THE loving THREAD cursed lumberjack, youd see that this was a thread for sweetkarma to talk about ants

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

maybe someone could call or email Vin Diesel to get a good answer?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

TEAYCHES posted:

maybe if youd READ THE loving THREAD cursed lumberjack, youd see that this was a thread for sweetkarma to talk about ants

I'm a myrmecologist. WTF do you want from me?

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I think they are from another planet that came to the one in Pitch Black, and that habitat hadn't evolved to deal with these aliens. Kinda like cats in Australia.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
They seemed active underground. Perhaps there is a whole underground ecosystem. Vast caves with water and fungus and plants. The equivalent of fish and lower order predators. Leading up to the apex creatures we saw on the surface. The eclipse culminating in a breeding frenzy.

Or not. Its just a stupid movie with cool creatures that Vin fights

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Weener Beater posted:

They seemed active underground. Perhaps there is a whole underground ecosystem. Vast caves with water and fungus and plants. The equivalent of fish and lower order predators. Leading up to the apex creatures we saw on the surface. The eclipse culminating in a breeding frenzy.

Or not. Its just a stupid movie with cool creatures that Vin fights

also space muslims getting eaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The monsters are fungivores that eat mushrooms that grow underground and are quite content there. They didn't need to eat the people, they were just pissed off to find them on the surface during mating season because they don't want a bunch of menstruating humans around while they're getting their monster gently caress on.

oops everyone already said this next time I'll read the thread gently caress you

• Locked thread